PDA

View Full Version : Music A perfect circle

Dunit35
05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Anybody listen to this band?

I didn't know the lead singer was the lead singer from Tool.

Good stuff.

Donger
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
As a Tool fan, I can't say that I've ever like A Perfect Circle.

Lzen
05-19-2008, 03:12 PM
You just now discovered this? They have only been doing this for what, like 10 years?

They are ok, I guess. I still much prefer Tool.

DaneMcCloud
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
A Perfect Circle was born out of the "Chinese Democracy" sessions. Billy Howerdel and Josh Freese were cutting tracks for that record when they hooked and decided to do their own project.

A dirty little secret is that Geffen Records actually foot the bill for the recording of "Mer De Noms" because most of the tracks were cut in the same studio as "Chinese Democracy", even though they ultimately signed with Virgin Records for $3 million dollars.

FWIW, I actually LOVE both records, though stylistically, they're very different (due to the addition of Geordie White's influence and songwriting on "The Thirteenth Step").

They're both very dark and very moody records. Definitely not something you could put on at 8am and dig.

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
A Perfect Circle was born out of the "Chinese Democracy" sessions. Billy Howerdel and Josh Freese were cutting tracks for that record when they hooked and decided to do their own project.

A dirty little secret is that Geffen Records actually foot the bill for the recording of "Mer De Noms" because most of the tracks were cut in the same studio as "Chinese Democracy", even though they ultimately signed with Virgin Records for $3 million dollars.

FWIW, I actually LOVE both records, though stylistically, they're very different (due to the addition of Geordie White's influence and songwriting on "The Thirteenth Step").

They're both very dark and very moody records. Definitely not something you could put on at 8am and dig.

Saw APC live in 03 or 04.. AMAZING live act. Mer De Norms is one of my favorite rock ablums - 13th step wasn't bad either.

Billy H was a guitar tech/roadie for NIN back in the day... some more useless trivia there.

DaneMcCloud
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Saw APC live in 03 or 04.. AMAZING live act. Mer De Norms is one of my favorite rock ablums - 13th step wasn't bad either.

Billy H was a guitar tech/roadie for NIN back in the day... some more useless trivia there.

And Smashing Pumpkins

Third Eye
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I've had "Judith" as my ringtone for years. Mer de Noms is an incredible album. Some of Maynard's best lyrical work.

DMAC
05-19-2008, 08:31 PM
eMotive was pure genious. And by genious, I mean horrible shit.

aturnis
05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
APC all the way...Tool is overrated.

Dunit35
05-19-2008, 09:51 PM
You just now discovered this? They have only been doing this for what, like 10 years?

They are ok, I guess. I still much prefer Tool.

Nah, I listened to a couple of their songs in high school. I just didn't know Maynard was the lead singer until today.

After listening to a lot of their music tonight at work I prefer Tool also.

Maybe QS could direct me to some APC songs that are more heavy rock. I love Judith, what else do they sing that is at a faster pace?

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Nah, I listened to a couple of their songs in high school. I just didn't know Maynard was the lead singer until today.

After listening to a lot of their music tonight at work I prefer Tool also.

Maybe QS could direct me to some APC songs that are more heavy rock. I love Judith, what else do they sing that is at a faster pace?

I can do that. Heavy songs you say?

Off of Mer De Noms:
The Hollow
Rose
Thomas (one of my favorites)
Thinking of You

And off of Thirteenth Step:
Pet
The Package (slow start but one of their best)
The Outsider

I've left out some of my favorite songs just because they're not "heavy like Judith"... But if you decide to branch out - Listen to "Oretes" - Best song Maynard has ever written. Also "The Noose" - you'll listen to this one on repeat. And "Brena"
Let me know what you think, once you've had the chance to listen.

Molitoth
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
APC all the way...Tool is overrated.

wow, just wow.

Molitoth
05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
eMotive was pure genious. And by genious, I mean horrible shit.

:thumb:
so true.

Molitoth
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Personally I enjoyed the mysterious TOOL based Maynard rather then the outgoing jokester APC Maynard.

bango
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I hate to say it, but I like APC over Tool also. Please allow me live.

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Personally I enjoyed the mysterious TOOL based Maynard rather then the outgoing jokester APC Maynard.

I welcomed both. Saw Tool in 2001 and Maynard played the entire show with his back to the crowd. He said two words to the crowd - "Good morning".
I liked him with APC - he was funny and had a lot on his mind (presidential election). It is good to see both sides.

Dunit35
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I can do that. Heavy songs you say?

Off of Mer De Noms:
The Hollow
Rose
Thomas (one of my favorites)
Thinking of You

And off of Thirteenth Step:
Pet
The Package (slow start but one of their best)
The Outsider

I've left out some of my favorite songs just because they're not "heavy like Judith"... But if you decide to branch out - Listen to "Orestes" - Best song Maynard has ever written. Also "The Noose" - you'll listen to this one on repeat. And "Brena"
Let me know what you think, once you've had the chance to listen.

His voice is damn good.

I started to put a list of what songs I liked and vice versa...realized there weren't any for the disliked list. I loved Thomas, Pet and Rose.

Damn good stuff, thanks man.

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 10:23 PM
His voice is damn good.

I started to put a list of what songs I liked and vice versa...realized there weren't any for the disliked list. I loved Thomas, Pet and Rose.

Damn good stuff, thanks man.

The guy does have an amazing, story-telling voice :)
I understand though, about it being hard to find songs you just do not like. I can only think of one APC song I skip - "Blue"

Listening to "Thinking of You" right now.

Third Eye
05-20-2008, 01:05 AM
I think it is interesting to compare the difference in tone between "Judith" (APC) and Wings for Marie/10,000 Days (TOOL).

ChiefFripp
06-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I've been more into APC lately. Maybe that's due to the fact I thought Tool's last CD was undercooked .