PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals’ Guillen picked as AL player of the week

Deberg_1990
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
WooHoo! Didnt realize he finally started to turn it on. Congrats!

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/626487.html

BOSTON | José Guillen’s hot bat earned him recognition Monday as the American League player of the week. He went 11 for 24 last week for the Royals with five doubles, two homers and 13 RBIs in six games.

Guillen’s surge pulled him out of an extended slump and raised his average to a season-high .245. It also boosted his season totals to 16 doubles, five homers and 30 RBIs in 41 games.

“I’m just going up there and trying to do my best to hit the baseball,” he said. “I’m not going to make any excuses, but being in the hot weather really helped a lot.”

It helped the Royals, too. They won four of six games during the week.

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano was picked as the National League player of the week.

It is the second such award of Guillen’s 12-year career. He previously won for the week ending May 9, 2004 while a member of the Anaheim Angels.

Pitcher Brian Bannister was picked as the AL’s co-player of the week earlier this year for the week ending April 13. He shared the award with Seattle outfielder Raul Ibañez.

Guillen is the first Royal to win the award outright since Mark Teahen for the week ending July 30, 2006. Guillen will receive an engraved Swiss Tourneau timepiece in recognition for winning the award.

noa
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Very nice. And we're playing against a lefty tonight. More good news for Guillen.

bluehawkdoc
05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I love the way he is hitting the ball over the last 10 games or so. Seems like the other guys are relaxing at the plate because of it. Off topic, but did anyone see Hillman dancing with the cheerleaders last night? He cracks me up...

Stewie
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I love the way he is hitting the ball over the last 10 games or so. Seems like the other guys are relaxing at the plate because of it. Off topic, but did anyone see Hillman dancing with the cheerleaders last night? He cracks me up...

He wasn't nearly as good as the cheerleaders. :drool:

bluehawkdoc
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Can't argue that but I like the temperment of this guy. He seems to be intense but still likes to have a little fun. It appears that the players really connect with him. Olivo was workin' it for a little while too.

Fish
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM

I had to catch the whole game on the radio while driving..... what happened?

bluehawkdoc
05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
The Marlins actually have cheerleaders (same as the Dolphins). Anyway, they were doing some kind of routine in front of the Royals dugout and Hillman started to "break it down" (he's got about as much rhythm as I do). He had on his sunglasses and a look (smirk) that had me laughing out loud.

Demonpenz
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
they are called the mermaids

MIAdragon
05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Very nice. And we're playing against a lefty tonight. More good news for Guillen.

A lefty that lives up in the zone, he kills me every time he takes the hill

KCUnited
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the DH tonight. It looked like he tweeked his hip again in yesterdays game.

noa
05-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Mmmm, okay. I will never make a post like that again.

Sure-Oz
05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Guillen sucks, it's a snack its emil would've had a 4 run hr with no one on tonight