PDA

View Full Version : News The New America in all it's glory

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Gas Station Employee Fired for Fighting Off Robber

An act of bravery to defend a co-worker has cost a Minnesota gas-station attendant his job.

Mark Beverly, an overnight shift supervisor at a SuperAmerica in Roseville, Minn., was fired in March after he jumped on a masked robber who he believed was attacking a fellow employee.

SuperAmerica said he violated company policy when he came to his colleague's aid in the early morning of March 26. So instead of accolades, Beverly got the boot.

Adding insult to injury, Beverly — who is still looking for another job — has been denied unemployment benefits. He will appeal that decision on June 5.

The trouble began around 3 a.m. when Beverly was cleaning the bathroom and his female co-worker was behind the cash register. Beverly said he heard her scream, so he ran out and saw a robber wearing a blue-stocking cap jostling with her.

"It looked like he was hurting her, so I jumped on him," Beverly said. "I just tried to bang him on the counter a couple of times."

After a tussle, he said, the robber regained his footing and looked as if he was going to pull out a weapon. Beverly said the man told him, "Don't be a hero," before fleeing the store with about $15.

Beverly called police and reviewed security tapes with his managers before completing his shift. "Everything was fine," he said.

The next day, however, he was fired for violating company policy.

Marathon Petroleum Company, the owner of the SuperAmerica chain, said Beverly was told what to do in the company handbook — which advises employees to "cooperate: don't argue, resist or attack the robber" — and through a computer-based training program Beverly was required to complete when he was hired.

"He endangered himself and her, and that’s why we have the policy," said Linda Casey, a Marathon spokeswoman. "And we have enforced it with other employees, not just with him."

"I just thought it was wrong, that's all," said Beverly, who had worked at SuperAmerica for just over a year. "You're not really trained for a robbery, and that was the first robbery I have ever been in in my life."

Capt. Rick Mathwig of the Roseville Police Department said authorities advise people not to take action when faced with a robbery.

"When you start resisting at some way shape or form, the suspect who may not have intended on using the weapon that he or she came with may use it intentionally or unintentionally when faced with a conflict," he said.

Roseville police have listed the case as inactive as they have not been able to identify the robber. The only image of him is partial profile and his face is obscured by the stocking cap, Mathwig said.

The security tape did not show the female co-worker struggling with the robber over the cash-register drawer, Casey said.

"The female employee was never attacked," she said. The robber reached in and grabbed cash out of the drawer.

"We have a statement from both [Beverly] and the female employee," Casey said. "Neither one of them say anything about her being attacked, hurt or anything, and the video we have substantiates it."

Beverly said that from his vantage point, he thought she was being attacked.

"With both of them so close it looked — from the angle that I was at — it looked like she was being attacked," he said.

FAX
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
We are a nation of wimps and fools.

Now that SuperAmerica's company policy of no resistance has made the news, guess where the robbers are headed now.

FAX

ChiTown
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
:shake:

What a ****'ed up world..........

StcChief
05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
let's continue to embolden the criminals... we should all turn in our guns too :rolleyes:

Frazod
05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I was about to post this.

Reminded me of the end of Fast Times At Ridgemont High, when Judge Reinhold cracked the robber in the head with a pot of coffee. Except instead of being made manager, in real life you get whacked. At least in real life today. :shake:

And people wonder why crime is rampant in this country. It's because we've been trained to be professional sheep.

I'll never buy gas at a SuperAmerica again. They should change the name to SuperPussy.

Hydrae
05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
If the guy had pulled a gun and killed the worker you want to bet the worker's family would have sued for wrongful death? This is corporate America covering it's butt is all.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
And if these rules weren't in the company handbook, guess what would happen?

If the employee had been killed trying to stave off a burglar, the employee's family would sue SuperAmerica for millions and millions, likely costing the tax payers millions in a civil suit because it wasn't specified in the employee's handbook.

Do you guys understand that we live in an extremely litigious society where so many people are looking to sue and cash out?

If corporations don't have these types of rules, it's not unlikely that they'd go bankrupt dealing with all of the lawsuits.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
If the guy had pulled a gun and killed the worker you want to bet the worker's family would have sued for wrongful death? This is corporate America covering it's butt is all.

Yep. Bottom line, your life isn't worth what is in the register. If the robber was truly hurting the other employee, he should get a free pass, but I assume that was probably not the case as said here: "The security tape did not show the female co-worker struggling with the robber over the cash-register drawer, Casey said."

The Rick
05-20-2008, 02:09 PM

If the employee had been killed trying to stave off a burglar, the employee's family would sue SuperAmerica for millions and millions, likely costing the tax payers millions in a civil suit because it wasn't specified in the employee's handbook.

Do you guys understand that we live in an extremely litigious society where so many people are looking to sue and cash out?

If corporations don't have these types of rules, it's not unlikely that they'd go bankrupt dealing with all of the lawsuits.
I understand that completely. However, did it mean they had to fire the guy though? Sure, if he got himself killed, they could simply use the policy in the handbook to fend off lawsuits. That doesn't mean they have to proactively fire the guy, does it? They should have just stated for the record that they don't condone his actions.

Brock
05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Pretty stupid to fight for some corporation's money.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I understand that completely. However, did it mean they had to fire the guy though? Sure, if he got himself killed, they could simply use the policy in the handbook to fend off lawsuits. That doesn't mean they have to proactively fire the guy, does it? They should have just stated for the record that they don't condone his actions.

He works at a freaking gas station.

FAX
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Pretty stupid to fight for some corporation's money.

Unquestionably, Mr. Brock. I thought he was defending his co-worker girl person, though.

FAX

Brock
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Unquestionably, Mr. Brock. I thought he was defending his co-worker girl person, though.

FAX

She seems to be very thankful.

FAX
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM

One of our more difficult problems, Mr. DaneMcCloud. There's no question that fear of litigation is governing all types of behavior ... even proper, appropriate, and beneficial actions.

FAX

FAX
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
She seems to be very thankful.

LMAO

I noticed that, too. If I were this guy, I'd join the robbers.

FAX

chasedude
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Exactly! The corporate heads are just covering their butts.

I had a similar occasion happen to me once. We get some workers come in from the local disabled boarding house. They have chronic conditions, Down's, Cerebral Palsy and the like. Well one day this 5ft 300+ lb down's guy started beating on his companion. She's a little woman, no match for his hefty weight. As he's beating on her no one steps in, so I did. I grabbed his arms behind his back and held him there until he calmed down.

No one got seriously hurt but I thought to myself after everything happened that I could get fired because of what I did.
I don't work for the county as a companion for him so am I liable if something happens? I'm just the computer guy, I'm not a bouncer. Would my own company stand behind me if lawsuits came down because I pulled back an irate guy like that? Luckly nothing else came from that situation other than "Mikey" (the down's guy) is very nice to me now. He thinks I'm Bobbie Leslie! LMAO

acesn8s
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe he got fired for stopping a planned robbery for insurance?

Frazod
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM

The problem with this is that the person responsible for the entire situation is the CRIMINAL. The dumbf#ck cops and corporate shills are talking about the criminal like he was just some weary traveler buying a pack of smokes. HE WAS A CRIMINAL. Anything bad that happens during the commission of a crime IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CRIMINAL. I know that's not any fun for lawsuit happy scumbags because petty criminals typically don't have much net worth, but this whole thing is crazy. What if the robber had killed the girl anyway? What if he had raped her? Was this guy just supposed to stand there and watch; maybe toss the criminal a condom? F#ck.

mikey23545
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM

Believe me, I'm in favor beating every single lawyer in the world to death at the same time as the armed robbers.

Baby Lee
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM

And if they don't fire this guy, they never get to fend off the lawsuits again.

So tell me mister CEO, you have the rules
Yes
And you expect them to be followed
Yes
That's why you have them, right
Yes
And you enforce them as well
Yes
Because you have made the decision that the safety of your employees is more important than your day to day profits
Of course
But, isn't it true that you've let employees who defended your day to day profits, at great risk, slide?
Erumph
So isn't it true you want it both ways
Errr
You want to appear to foster employee safety, but you're just fine with them risking their lives to save your profits. . . isn't that right
Beeeeepppp!!!
And my client knew you let employees who break the rules to defend your profits keep their jobs
Uncle!!

chasedude
05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
The problem with this is that the person responsible for the entire situation is the CRIMINAL. The dumbf#ck cops and corporate shills are talking about the criminal like he was just some weary traveler buying a pack of smokes. HE WAS A CRIMINAL. Anything bad that happens during the commission of a crime IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CRIMINAL. I know that's not any fun for lawsuit happy scumbags because petty criminals typically don't have much net worth, but this whole thing is crazy. What if the robber had killed the girl anyway? What if he had raped her? Was this guy just supposed to stand there and watch; maybe toss the criminal a condom? F#ck.

I guess the "Good Samaritan Law" doesn't exist in MN.

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
well I'm sure the video tape showed that the girl wasn't being attacked or in a struggle and they canned him for trying to be a hero when it usually just causes more problems.

Baby Lee
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Believe me, I'm in favor beating every single lawyer in the world to death at the same time as the armed robbers.

With the contemptable exception of class action abusers, there isn't a lawyer on earth doing anything without the pleas of his/her clients to represent his/her interests.

morphius
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Now that SuperAmerica's company policy of no resistance has made the news, guess where the robbers are headed now.

FAX
Remember when that was the solution for people hijacking planes, that didn't work out very well either...

mikey23545
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
With the contemptable exception of class action abusers, there isn't a lawyer on earth doing anything without the pleas of his/her clients to represent his/her interests.

Clients are asking them to run daytime tv ads nonstop? Put up all those billboards I see every day? Buy up half the yellow page ads that exist?

My contempt for the modern day attorney is visceral.

As far as killing all of them, better safe than sorry.

Baby Lee
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Clients are asking them to run daytime tv ads nonstop? Put up all those billboards I see every day? Buy up half the yellow page ads that exist?

So it's the billboards? That's pretty extreme.

Baby Lee
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
You know who else I hate, effing coaches.

Drawing up all those trick plays to run up the score on my team
Calling effing timeouts every time something good look like it's gonna happen.
Holding effing press conferences talking about the team's progress.
Making players work out and practice their skills.

A pox on them all.

Frazod
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM

You may want to limit your contempt to PI lawyers. The guys I work for just do high level real estate. We don't f#ck anybody over.

bishop_74
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Although I agree, I think the policy should be communicated that EVERY cash register has a loaded gun. Some people might think twice about robbing the place. Just my .02

dirk digler
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I think it is stupid as well but I understand the company's policy. I was a manager of a couple of restaurants and we were explicitly told if we get robbed not to fight or we could get fired. They don't want anyone killed over money.

El Jefe
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM

FAX

Sad but true. I will amend your post to include "We are a nation of wimps, fools, and hippies".

The Rick
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
And if they don't fire this guy, they never get to fend off the lawsuits again.

So tell me mister CEO, you have the rules
Yes
And you expect them to be followed
Yes
That's why you have them, right
Yes
And you enforce them as well
Yes
Because you have made the decision that the safety of your employees is more important than your day to day profits
Of course
But, isn't it true that you've let employees who defended your day to day profits, at great risk, slide?
Erumph
So isn't it true you want it both ways
Errr
You want to appear to foster employee safety, but you're just fine with them risking their lives to save your profits. . . isn't that right
Beeeeepppp!!!
And my client knew you let employees who break the rules to defend your profits keep their jobs
Uncle!!
Just "write" the guy up or something. The policy is still in place that way.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Just "write" the guy up or something. The policy is still in place that way.

and he was defending somebody not the profits

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM

Dude,

I totally understand where you're coming from. But as a paralegal, I'm sure you know as well as anyone why these policies exist for a reason. And that reason is to protect the corporation and the Board. I'm not passing judgment on the employee or the corporation, I'm just telling it like it is, good or bad.

And believe me, working in the corporate world, especially in Los Angeles, is tricky as hell. There are so many minorities (Blacks, Thai, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, El Salvadorian, Puerto Rican, Mexican, et al, let alone Gays and women) that's it almost impossible to not act like a robot in the workplace due to corporate policies.

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM

FAX

I hope that armed robbers don't read, because you're exactly right.

FAX
05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Sad but true. I will amend your post to include "We are a nation of wimps, fools, and hippies".

I blame the suffragette movement.

Oh, and David Crosby.

FAX

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
...If the employee had been killed trying to stave off a burglar, the employee's family would sue SuperAmerica for millions and millions, likely costing the tax payers millions in a civil suit...

How would a civil suit have any effect at all on taxpayers?

I guess we pay for the judge, but that's about it.

RJ
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Not according to the co-worker or the video.

Sounds to me like the guy wanted to play cowboy. He risked his life [I]and[I] the life of the co-worker to prevent what was probably less than $50 from being stolen. Very bad decision. Hopefully, though, he'll end up with a better job out of the deal. There's probably a local business owner who'd like to hire the guy, good PR if nothing else.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM

He was defending his honor, and his country!!

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Not according to the co-worker or the video.

Sounds to me like the guy wanted to play cowboy. He risked his life [I]and[I] the life of the co-worker to prevent what was probably less than $50 from being stolen. Very bad decision. Hopefully, though, he'll end up with a better job out of the deal. There's probably a local business owner who'd like to hire the guy, good PR if nothing else.

Maybe the local mall would interested in hiring him.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
How would a civil suit have any effect at all on taxpayers?

I guess we pay for the judge, but that's about it.

We pay for the judge, the jurors, the courthouse, the electricity, the water, etc.

If you take everything into account, it all adds up.

banyon
05-20-2008, 04:38 PM

We have an adversarial system with zealous advocacy for clients.

If you don't like it, move to France.

Seriously what do you think is preferable? Mob rule? Trial by fire at the stake? Sharia law?

banyon
05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
We pay for the judge, the jurors, the courthouse, the electricity, the water, etc.

Compared with the award sought in the suit and the attorney's fees, those costs would be a pittance.

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah. That water bill.

RJ
05-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I would guess that the reason the girl wasn't more appreciative is that he could have gotten her killed. I doubt she looked at him as a knight in shining armor.

Baby Lee
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
We have an adversarial system with zealous advocacy for clients.

If you don't like it, move to France.

Seriously what do you think is preferable? Mob rule? Trial by fire at the stake? Sharia law?

People who think somebody's done them harm should just get some common sense, rub some dirt in it, and get back to work.

Demonpenz
05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
It's been like this whereever I have worked.

Brock
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM

LMAO

R&GHomer
05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
If his co-worker was really being attacked or he honestly perceived her to be; I'd have to commend him. But the thing is; I don't buy it. He was trying to be a hero and he absolutely put the others in even more danger. If you're going to step up, you had damn well better be sure you can close the deal. The robber regained his footing and got the upper hand, even telling him "Don't be a hero" If the robber was so inclined the dude would be dead.

I don't disagree that corporate USA is ultimately covering their own asses with policies like these, but I refuse to believe it's there only motive. There isn't a damn thing in that store worth dying for. That guy deserved to be fired. IMHO of course.

FAX
05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
It's an odd situation, Mr. R&GHomer.

Let's say you're a QuikStop employee and let's say that you're working behind the counter, minding your own business when a puny-ass, skinny robber comes in, demands cash, and threatens to bash you in the face with a tire iron if you don't comply. And let's say that there is another giant employee behind the robber who could easily disarm the robber, capture him, and hold him until the police arrive. And, let's say that the giant employee does nothing because of a company policy prohibiting defending yourself against robbers and the robber bashes you in the face and you require lots of reconstructive surgery and you lose your girlfriend because you're now really weird looking.

I mean, if that happened to me, I'd be thinking, "WTF?" when it comes to my giant co-worker who stood by and let that happen because some corporate lawyer who wasn't even there thought it would be a good idea to let the employees get their asses shot off and faces bashed all in the interest of avoiding possible future litigation.

FAX

Marco Polo
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I sent an email to their "contact us" and told them I will never, ever shop at SuperAmerica again. I encourage you all to do the same:

http://www.speedway.com/ContactUs/EmailUs.aspx

R&GHomer
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
It's an odd situation, Mr. R&GHomer.

Let's say you're a QuikStop employee and let's say that you're working behind the counter, minding your own business when a puny-ass, skinny robber comes in, demands cash, and threatens to bash you in the face with a tire iron if you don't comply. And let's say that there is another giant employee behind the robber who could easily disarm the robber, capture him, and hold him until the police arrive. And, let's say that the giant employee does nothing because of a company policy prohibiting defending yourself against robbers and the robber bashes you in the face and you require lots of reconstructive surgery and you lose your girlfriend because you're now really weird looking.

I mean, if that happened to me, I'd be thinking, "WTF?" when it comes to my giant co-worker who stood by and let that happen because some corporate lawyer who wasn't even there thought it would be a good idea to let the employees get their asses shot off and faces bashed all in the interest of avoiding possible future litigation.

FAX

Well, if the scenario had played out like you described good Sir. I would expect the “larger employee” to do the right thing “if capable” if not the risk of making it worse is pretty damn high. I guess I’m just coming at this from a different perspective. Every situation is different and let’s face it, your every day Joe isn’t seasoned enough to read the situation correctly and take the right course of action. This story is a prime example of my point

He was either trying to be a hero, or misinterpreted the situation. Either way, he shouldn’t have done a thing.

Stepped up and didn’t have the ability to follow through and thus made the situation worse. I guess in the end, if you’re ever put in that situation. You can only hope that you make the right decision and those around you do the same. This guy didn't and he could have gotten himself and others killed.... and for what?

Rausch
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
No good deed goes unpunished.

Odds are Mike can replace the lost pay cutting grass alongside illegals tomorrow. Suck it up, know you did what you think was right, and buy gas from someone else...

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I sent an email to their "contact us" and told them I will never, ever shop at SuperAmerica again. I encourage you all to do the same:

http://www.speedway.com/ContactUs/EmailUs.aspx

So you're encouraging people not to shop there because:

A. Some jackass employee tried to play hero.
B. Jackass employee was fired for trying to play hero
C. Video tape reveals that the other employee wasn't in danger, nor was there a stuggle.
C. Jackass employee didn't follow the company policies, even though he watched a video and signed a document.
D. Police officers said that people should not get into a struggle with a would-be burglar.

The only reason not to shop there because of this incident is that SuperAmerica hires dumbshits to supervise.

Rausch
05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
So you're encouraging people not to shop there because:

A. Some jackass employee tried to play hero.
B. Jackass employee was fired for trying to play hero
C. Video tape reveals that the other employee wasn't in danger, nor was there a stuggle.
C. Jackass employee didn't follow the company policies, even though he watched a video and signed a document.
D. Police officers said that people should not get into a struggle with a would-be burglar.

The only reason not to shop there because of this incident is that SuperAmerica hires dumbshits to supervise.

If some @$$hole is pointing a gun at my face I hope there's an employee around willing to get canned to save my life...

HemiEd
05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
I'll take 1957 please.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
If some @$$hole is pointing a gun at my face I hope there's an employee around willing to get canned to save my life...

But in this case, no weapon was brandished.

Sully
05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Almost all companies dealing with walk-in type customers have this policy. I don't know how often it is enforced, but in my younger customer service days, upon hire I was always given this spiel about not escalating the situation, and being compliant.
Of course, in my mind I always knew that I was signing off on it with a "it depends..." type of attitude.
Who knows if this guy really thought the girl was being attacked, or if he got a good strong case of Billy Badass. One is commendable, and possibly stupid... and the other is just plain stupid.

But in the long run, it's not like you turn in a resume to gas stations. The guy should be able to find another job without a problem. I would assume the company that fired him (if he was a good employee previous to this incident) will even give a reference. That is assuming they are just doing this to cover their ass, legal-wise.

Dave Lane
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Exactly.

Dave