PDA

View Full Version : Life Have you ever been robbed at work?

Hydrae
05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
The thread about the guy at the gas station who was fired got me thinking about the one time I was robbed while on the job.

I was working for 7-11. It was my 4th day on the job and my first one after some training at a different location. I was working the graveyard shift and came on duty at 11 PM. About 20 minutes later an older guy (early 50's I would guess) came in and just kind of stood around near the register. I kept wondering what he was doing.

After helping a couple of customers, this guy comes up to the counter and says he wants me to put the money in the register into a bag for him. I start to ask him to repeat himself as I didn't believe what I was hearing. He reaches into his jacket and starts to pull out a pistol. All I ever see is the butt as another customer walks in and he shoves the gun back into his jacket.

While the customer is grabbing his 12 pack, the robber is just hanging around again. I realize that this is obviously real and take the time to get a good description. Once I finish checking out the latest customer the robber decides that beer sounds good and wants me to go to the cooler and get him some. I tell him that he is welcome to help himself but I do not want to come out from behind the counter.

Robber guy decides that a carton of cigarettes will finish off his haul nicely and heads out the door. As he leaves he turns back around and says that he wants me in the cooler. So I turn to head that way and realize that within 3 steps I will be out of site from parking lot behind some shelves so he won't know whether I went to the cooler or not. So I drop below the counter, grab the phone and am talking to the police as he pulls out of the parking lot. He got all of 2 miles down the road before the catch him.

Turns out he had been hitting some other convenience stores in the area that didn't have the timelock safe that they have at 7-11. First time he hits a 7-11 he gets $75, a carton of cigs and a nice trip to jail. He did have aloaded .45 under his front seat when the cops pulled him over. :eek:

The really weird part is that about a year later I was working on the counter at Burger King during breakfast and who should walk in but the robber. He was only sentenced to the looney bin for a while and was back out. He didn't recognize my since I was now clean shaven but I sure knew who he was. I immediately went and found someone else to take his order. I just did not want to know his opinion of the guy who got him busted!

So, any interesting tales out there Planeteers?

DaFace
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm always worried that Rain Man might be lurking around the corner. That's why I keep a cup of soup in my drawer at all times - just in case.

Baconeater
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Only on payday.

gblowfish
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
At my previous job,
I pretended to work.
They pretended to pay me.

DenverDanChiefsFan
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Nope - but was on a plane that had to make an emergency landing at O'hare on my first day of a job. That wasn't a good omen. The job didn't get any better after that.

stumppy
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Robbery....robbery......thinking......oh yea.

I did hear something about a robbery in Springtown not too long ago. It seems in a certain west side neighborhood there was a drug dealer living and doing business there. Not the old hippy type scoring some weed for his buddies but a hardcore narcotics dealer who handed out a clean rig for an extra $2 to the teenagers he was dealing with. I guess somebody decided this guy had to go and made a few calls to people who know how to handle this type of thing. His door was kicked in, all of his money and dope was taken and he was told in no uncertain terms to move....NOW!

Then a day or two later the police kicked his door in. They also told him to move.

House is empty now.

One of the better robbery stories I've heard in awhile.

Demonpenz
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
i got jacked coming out of a bar quite funny story

Skip Towne
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Robbery....robbery......thinking......oh yea.

I did hear something about a robbery in Springtown not too long ago. It seems in a certain west side neighborhood there was a drug dealer living and doing business there. Not the old hippy type scoring some weed for his buddies but a hardcore narcotics dealer who handed out a clean rig for an extra $2 to the teenagers he was dealing with. I guess somebody decided this guy had to go and made a few calls to people who know how to handle this type of thing. His door was kicked in, all of his money and dope was taken and he was told in no uncertain terms to move....NOW!

Then a day or two later the police kicked his door in. They also told him to move.

House is empty now.

One of the better robbery stories I've heard in awhile.

Prolly the cops both times.

Lzen
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I worked at a 7-11 when I was 18. It was in a bad neighborhood. If you know Topeka, you know the Highland Park area and he 7-11 that used to be right across the street from HP High School. Anyhoo, here is my story.

I was working 3rd shift. It was about 5:30am and the assistant manager was due in at 6 am. My shift was almost done. This punk came up to the counter and sprayed something in my face and eyes. I was instantly blinded and in severe pain. I had no idea what he sprayed on me. I just told him to take the money.

I had to go to the hospital to have my eyes flushed. Turns out that it was acid based. The bastard picked up a can of Easy Off oven cleaner off the shelf and used it on me.

To add insult to injury, 7-11 ended up declaring bankruptcy. Somewhere along the way to that bankruptcy, they missed paying my emergency room bill. I thought the bill had been paid until the credit agency came calling. Several years and many phone calls later, I just ended up paying it off myself. I needed to buy my home and couldn't have that crap on my credit record. :shake:

FAX
05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I was playing a gig in upstate New York one time and a guy sold me a lid of grass that was just that ... grass.

FAX

Phobia
05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
My old man got his wallet lifted at Christian music concert a couple weekends ago. He was in the bathroom and some guy bumped into him hard. He realized it seconds later but it was too late.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2008, 10:27 PM
My old man got his wallet lifted at Christian music concert a couple weekends ago. He was in the bathroom and some guy bumped into him hard. He realized it seconds later but it was too late.

At a Christian Music concert?? Wow...

Phobia
05-20-2008, 10:32 PM
At a Christian Music concert?? Wow...

At an old people Christian music concert, too. I'm guessing the perp figured there'd be plenty of easy marks. For some reason the old man had taken his license out earlier in the day, didn't have a single bill inside, and was able to cancel his Amex & Discover within minutes. So, dude got nothing. But still - it's kinda embarrassing to get pick pocketed at a concert performed by a 72 year old gospel singer.

Dunit35
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
My cd player, subs, amp and bookbag got stolen last November from my old works parking lot.

Bill S Preston
05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I delivered bundles of newspapers to businesses for a few years. Saw a lot of weird crap, but I was never robbed. Threatened a few times, but never robbed.

Count Alex's Losses
05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
One time someone stole my chair.

Rain Man
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I created a multi-million dollar market for my former company, which produced hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses for my psychopathic ex-boss. I would have received those bonuses, except he changed the compensation structure after I had created the market so that he could divert the bonus money to himself instead of me. I got about $2,000 out of the deal.

So, yeah.

Rain Man
05-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm always worried that Rain Man might be lurking around the corner. That's why I keep a cup of soup in my drawer at all times - just in case.

You can't stay in your office forever. And when you come out, I'll be waiting.

Joie
05-21-2008, 12:03 AM
My best friend has been robbed at work a few times. She worked at a Taco Bell in a bad neighborhood.

Personally, I have never been robbed but someone did steal my thumbtacks and post it notes while I was on leave. And my first day out of training someone stole my headset. I tell ya...once you get past security I work in a dangerous place.