PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bowe says Croyle looks good

Count Alex's Losses
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/629108.html

Brodie Croyle appears to have won over Chiefs coaches. But some players still want Croyle, a second-year starter at quarterback, to prove himself.

He lost all six of his starts last year, which raised questions about whether he can win in the NFL. Croyle was inconsistent and inexperienced. When the Chiefs began offseason practice this week, all eyes were on Croyle, looking to see whether he had improved this offseason.

At least one player saw reason for optimism Tuesday.

“Brodie’s looking good, man,” wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said. “He threw a go route, back shoulder, against the wind. It was on the money. I was like, ‘Dude, you’re ready. It’s on.’ ”

Practices are closed to the media until Thursday. Croyle was not made available to the media Tuesday.

The Chiefs have invested plenty in Croyle’s future and coach Herm Edwards’ belief that Croyle can be a reliable starter. Kansas City didn’t draft a quarterback last month, and they have been idle in trying to sign a proven passer.

The Chiefs are, it appears, Croyle’s team. For now, anyway.

“He’s up, and it’s his turn to show that he can be a starting quarterback in the National Football League, and not only that but to win games,” Edwards said. “I think he knows that he’s been waiting for his opportunity.”

The Chiefs also have simplified the offense for Croyle, and Edwards said Croyle has been quick to grasp new coordinator Chan Gailey’s system.

Edwards said he was encouraged Monday by Croyle’s precision and his ability to place the ball in tight spots. Still, Edwards said he reminded Croyle that he is passing in seven-on-seven drills, without a pass rush. But the coach said he likes what he has seen of Croyle’s confidence.

“He’s got a pretty good mind-set right now,” Edwards said.

While Croyle’s status did not change during the offseason, it appears that his backups’ status did. Tyler Thigpen, who missed the final four games of last season because of a knee injury, took snaps Monday and Tuesday with the second team. Damon Huard was the third-team passer.

“Damon’s not going to get a lot of reps,” Edwards said. “It’s not because we don’t trust him. It’s just that we know what Damon is capable of doing. So, he’s not going to get a lot of reps right now. He’ll get his reps in training camp.”

Huard, 34, started the Chiefs’ first nine games last year, before Croyle was selected as the starter. He passed for 2,257 yards and 11 touchdowns in 11 games.

Edwards said that decision, among others, is part of the Chiefs’ move toward young players. Edwards spoke Monday about the team’s fresh appearance and how some players were taken aback by its lack of veterans.

Thigpen says he is uncertain whether his time in the No. 2 spot is a long-term move. If it is, the Chiefs will, for better or worse, begin the season with a pair of young quarterbacks. Croyle is 25, and Thigpen is 24. Neither has much NFL experience, nor a firm grasp of the Chiefs’ offense.

“You’re not as comfortable as you’d like to be,” said Thigpen, who appeared in one game last year. “As you’re in an offense more and more, the more comfortable you are.”

Regardless of which quarterback is the main backup, the starter is Croyle. Now that they have seen him in practice, after four months of questions, some players are confident — even after last year’s struggles.

Bowe said he is among the confident ones.

“He’s like, in the huddle, eyes focused, everything on one accord,” Bowe said. “He’s ready.”

Mr. Arrowhead
05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
didnt brodie stay in KC the whole offseason to work on his game

Third Eye
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
“He’s like, in the huddle, eyes focused, everything on one accord,” Bowe said. “He’s ready.”[/B]

I like that quote. I hope there is some truth to it.

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 11:28 PM
preseason games will kick ass this year...almost every freaking position, starter and backup, is up for grabs....

Count Alex's Losses
05-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I like that quote. I hope there is some truth to it.

He's no Ryan Leaf.

His mental makeup is almost flawless.

Direckshun
05-20-2008, 11:34 PM
He's no Ryan Leaf.

His mental makeup is almost flawless.
Oh PLEASE.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Bowe's vast NFL experience
has me convinced

Count Alex's Losses
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Oh PLEASE.

You disagree?

I'm not saying he's Peyton Manning...but his work ethic and mental makeup, off the field, remind me a great deal of Trent Green.

Now he has to learn to read defenses...

Pablo
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
He's no Ryan Leaf.

His mental makeup is almost flawless.Brodie's a dumb hick...he prolly thinks about turkey hunting and PBR in the huddle, get a vet in here asap/truefan

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2008, 11:40 PM
What!!!!!!!!! I thought Brodie Croyle is teh suck!!!!!!!!

talastan
05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I hope so, I'd love to see the Croyle to Bowe show several times this next season. Especially with LJ in there it should feasibly help Brodie not having as big of a target on his back.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 11:45 PM
If he can get LJ to block for him
all bets are off

Rausch
05-20-2008, 11:46 PM
“He’s like, in the huddle, eyes focused, everything on one accord,” Bowe said.

Uh huh...

Mecca
05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
What do you think he's gonna say, that he sucks?

Rausch
05-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Just seems awful...dramatic. Biblical...

CoMoChief
05-20-2008, 11:54 PM
You disagree?

I'm not saying he's Peyton Manning...but his work ethic and mental makeup, off the field, remind me a great deal of Trent Green.

wtf are you talking about?????

There's not a QB in the league now that can be compared to Leaf, mentally.

SNR
05-21-2008, 12:44 AM

There's not a QB in the league now that can be compared to Leaf, mentally.Didn't Vince Young get a ridiculously low Wonderlic score?

mikey23545
05-21-2008, 03:27 AM

No, we expect that out of you.

DaneMcCloud
05-21-2008, 04:27 AM

Exactly.

No, we expect that out of you.

And this is what we expected from you.

tmax63
05-21-2008, 07:40 AM
God knows that a redneck out of Louisiana couldn't play any ball either. Give the kid a chance and the second half of last season wasn't a chance, it was a sacrifice. BC may fall flat on his face, but 18 months on the sidelines and 6-8 games to learn how to run for his life, he should do better if he's gonna this year and if not then it's time to move on.

InChiefsHell
05-21-2008, 07:55 AM
I mean, Bowe isn't going to say he sucks, but going as far as actually describing a specific moment (namely the go route, back shoulder, into the wind) tells me that he's not just saying shit to make the fans feel good. He's going out of his way to emphasize that Brody is looking very impressive. If he had just said something like: "Yeah, Brody looks pretty good out there, I mean, it's a new system but he's coming right along", then I'd be thinking: "Translation, Brody is not really that impressive right now".

This is a good quote. Read deeper, you hataz!! :D

raybec 4
05-21-2008, 08:06 AM
If he can get LJ to block for him
all bets are off

Yeah and if I could win the powerball I wouldn't be sitting at work posting this.

FAX
05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
So, we get a little good news and people discount it? A few of these Scrooges could use a visit from the Ghost Of Seasons Past.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
So, we get a little good news and people discount it? A few of these Scrooges could use a visit from the Ghost Of Seasons Past.

FAX

No ****ing shit. When was the last time we had a QB and WR in sync the way Brodie and Bowe appear to be?

Chiefnj2
05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
No ****ing shit. When was the last time we had a QB and WR in sync the way Brodie and Bowe appear to be?

They could open up practice and let people decide for themselves.

Bwana
05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Print um!

On a side note, it's not like we are going to the Super Bowl this year, so hang with the guy so we know what me have for sure. if Herm brings in Huard to try to save his own ass if Croyle starts to lose, I fear I will be forced to fly to KC to kick Herm in the twins.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2008, 08:46 AM
So are the players going to call him out if he wasn't looking legit?

I did find it funny that D-Bowe " found reason for optimism "

This is what I don't get. We all know that Brodie has a cannon of an arm, can make all the pro route passes, has a great touch on the long ball, not as accurate in the mid range routes, and baffles Damon Huard and Trent Green with his ability to throw swing passes and dump off routes accurately enough to not leave his RB completely exposed for a hammering or attempting to set the world record for vertical jump going after a ball thats been overthrown and lofted by ten yard. (not to mention throw at their feet)

He's go decent speed and mobility, and for a QB probably above avg.

I think he's bright enough and has the personality to be a starting QB in the NFL, and successful. I thought he learned from his mistakes and felt people were a bit too critical of his mistakes, acting like Peyton Manning and the rest of the top QB's just came out of the box at an All-Pro level.

My only question is, when are the Chiefs going to pony up and get him his IRONMAN suit? The colors already work, and my only question is if he is big enough to ever endure an entire season behind center- granted I'm assuming we actually have a line in the future, mind you.

I hope to god he's smart enough to have bulked up his core this off season.

IF anyone should be looking into some HGH- Brody might be a prime candidate for a little enhanced weight gain.

Hog Farmer
05-21-2008, 09:00 AM
You disagree?

Trent Green was a walking Zombie! That ain't good.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Whats Bowe supposed to say??

“Brodie’s looking awful, man,” wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said. “He threw a go route, back shoulder, against the wind. It was waaay off target. I was like, ‘Dude, you suck. I wish the team had drafted another QB’ ”

Reerun_KC
05-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I want him to succeed just to piss of most of the people here that were sucking off Huard all last year...

StcChief
05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
his job to lose (again)

HMc
05-21-2008, 09:17 AM
so basically, he threw a good pass and he's blessed with the gift of sight.

Reerun_KC
05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
his job to lose (again)
Weird? According to Hard Knocks and Carl Peterson, It was never his job to lose in the first place...

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
so basically, he threw a good pass and he's blessed with the gift of sight.

"He has special powers."

"Yes."

"He can see things as they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It's an NFL quarterback trait."

Sure-Oz
05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
he's got all year to prove how good he is or can be....

we'll have a half way decent line, or atleast should

Brock
05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Haven't we heard this shit 100 times before?

Frankie
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Brodie's a dumb hick...he prolly thinks about turkey hunting and PBR in the huddle, get a vet in here asap/truefan

Sarcasm,... I hope.

Frankie
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM

There's not a QB in the league now that can be compared to Leaf, mentally.

Grbac came close.:hmmm:

Frankie
05-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Didn't Vince Young get a ridiculously low Wonderlic score?

Didn't Marino?

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I hope everyone is eating crow by mid-season with Brodie. I was in OKC for the whole season and didn't get to see any of his starts, I think they only played the first 5 or 6 games down there. That would mark the 1st time that I haven't watched every Chiefs game in a season. So I don't have much to say about Brodie because I didn't get to watch

Mr. Arrowhead
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM
omg all you guys haters, just wait til brodie tears it up and say **** all you all!

Sully
05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
One positive to take from this...
He didn't say Croyle was "The Real Deal."

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
so is Croyle really that bad? Like I said, I didn't get to watch him much because they didn't televise the latter half of the season. His stats don't look horrible for a first timer but I know our offense still sucked. So the consensus is that he doesn't have much of a future?

milkman
05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
so is Croyle really that bad? Like I said, I didn't get to watch him much because they didn't televise the latter half of the season. His stats don't look horrible for a first timer but I know our offense still sucked. So the consensus is that he doesn't have much of a future?

There is no consensus.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
There is no consensus.

Exactly, as there shouldn't be with such limited playing time. Not to mention we had no line, and the worst rushing attack in the NFL.

I've seen glimpses of things I like. Obviously, he's had mistakes, but nothing that raises red flags at this point. His durability is really my major concern.

I watched pretty much all of Brodie's play last year, but I'd be full of shit if I said I specifically can recall his play so long after the season. I just know what my impressions are sum total based on all I saw- good and bad.

We aren't doing shit this year, let the kid loose- either he sinks or swims. I'd be really happy, excited if he pans out and surprises people- don't know why so many here are so quick to bash the guy, it's almost as if you want the guy to fail so you can say, See!!1 F*ck you Carl and Herm!!!

I dread the idea of him sucking and the Chiefs feeling they have to pick a QB with their 1st next year. We should have a very high pick, and I don't see one, ONE QB I want to waste on. Maybe a dark horse will pop up, but I sure as shit don't want to be reaching for a QB when its pretty much a 3 year grooming process a the minimum.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Its more about whether or not he can stay healthy and maintain continuity to learn more than anything.

ChiefRon
05-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm torn on my opinion of Brodie. I want him to be good, real good. But a little voice in my head keeps telling me "if he was any good at all, he would have won at least 1 of those games...Damon won games with that same team..."

But I keep telling that voice to STFU and I'm reserving my opinion until after this season...

InChiefsHell
05-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm torn on my opinion of Brodie. I want him to be good, real good. But a little voice in my head keeps telling me "if he was any good at all, he would have won at least 1 of those games...Damon won games with that same team..."

But I keep telling that voice to STFU and I'm reserving my opinion until after this season...

Don't forget the obligatory "Also, his wife is HOT!" comment...:D

OnTheWarpath58
05-21-2008, 03:29 PM

If only it were that simple.

Brodie WASN'T playing with the same team. (Kolby instead of LJ, no McIntosh, etc)

And honestly, the kid should have had a couple of wins and the defense let him down. The Colts and Jets games come to mind.

Pablo
05-21-2008, 03:33 PM

But I keep telling that voice to STFU and I'm reserving my opinion until after this season...The same team -LJ. I know some people really don't think that's a big deal, but it's enormous. For a young QB to have a stud RB in the backfield is incredibly helpful.

I'll admit Brodie had some pretty bad games, but I sort of expected that from a young QB behind a trash line with backup RB's.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Exactly, as there shouldn't be with such limited playing time. Not to mention we had no line, and the worst rushing attack in the NFL.

I've seen glimpses of things I like. Obviously, he's had mistakes, but nothing that raises red flags at this point. His durability is really my major concern.

I watched pretty much all of Brodie's play last year, but I'd be full of shit if I said I specifically can recall his play so long after the season. I just know what my impressions are sum total based on all I saw- good and bad.

We aren't doing shit this year, let the kid loose- either he sinks or swims. I'd be really happy, excited if he pans out and surprises people- don't know why so many here are so quick to bash the guy, it's almost as if you want the guy to fail so you can say, See!!1 F*ck you Carl and Herm!!!

I dread the idea of him sucking and the Chiefs feeling they have to pick a QB with their 1st next year. We should have a very high pick, and I don't see one, ONE QB I want to waste on. Maybe a dark horse will pop up, but I sure as shit don't want to be reaching for a QB when its pretty much a 3 year grooming process a the minimum.

Good post. I really can't figure out what the hate is all about. He did fairly decent in his first six starts with the worst rushing game in the league.
He will not be the main focal point in this kind of offense, he's young, low risk, high reward, and has an arm that 95% percent of all QB's wish they had. Give the guy his shot.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 03:42 PM
The same team -LJ. I know some people really don't think that's a big deal, but it's enormous. For a young QB to have a stud RB in the backfield is incredibly helpful.

I'll admit Brodie had some pretty bad games, but I sort of expected that from a young QB behind a trash line with backup RB's.

Truthiness.

ct
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Brodie started 7 games, zero with LJ. I'm not at all surprised we didn't win any of those games.

Peyton 1st year started every game, only won 3.
Aikman 1st year started every game, only won 1 game if I remember correctly.

Anyway, point is it doesn't automatically mean he sucks if he didn't win any of those 7 games. And he did NOT play with the same team that Huard did.

OnTheWarpath58
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Good post. I really can't figure out what the hate is all about. He did fairly decent in his first six starts with the worst rushing game in the league.
He will not be the main focal point in this kind of offense, he's young, low risk, high reward, and has an arm that 95% percent of all QB's wish they had. Give the guy his shot.

The hate stems from him being a 3rd round draft pick.

People think you HAVE to be a high 1st round pick to have a chance in this league.

Obviously, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Derek Anderson, David Garrard, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and Matt Schaub didn't get the memo.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
The hate stems from him being a 3rd round draft pick.

People think you HAVE to be a high 1st round pick to have a chance in this league.

Obviously, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Derek Anderson, David Garrard, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and Matt Schaub didn't get the memo.

That is total dumbassery. I've seen too many unheralded PLAYERS tear this league up to let their draft position influence my opinion of them.

Hydrae
05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

We don't need a 1st round QB next year even if Brodie does stink it up. We still have Thigpen! :)

ChiefRon
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
If only it were that simple.

Brodie WASN'T playing with the same team. (Kolby instead of LJ, no McIntosh, etc)

And honestly, the kid should have had a couple of wins and the defense let him down. The Colts and Jets games come to mind.

I'll grant you that the team WAS different, LJ did seem to be just getting into a groove before he went down with the injury in the Packers game (he had finally put together 2 solid games in a row even with our crappy line). And yes, I also agree with the defense letting him down.

That's why I said I'm reserving my judgment. I'm just not sold on him yet just like I'm not calling for someone else yet.

I really WANT him to be good, or at least solid. I'm pulling for the guy. I expect to see some progress this year.

kcchiefsus
05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Brodie started 7 games, zero with LJ. I'm not at all surprised we didn't win any of those games.

Anyway, point is it doesn't automatically mean he sucks if he didn't win any of those 7 games. And he did NOT play with the same team that Huard did.

Aikman didn't even win one game. He started 11 games that year and went 0-11 in them. The Cowboys won a single game but Aikman was out with injury that game.

OnTheWarpath58
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
That is total dumbassery. I've seen too many unheralded PLAYERS tear this league up to let their draft position influence my opinion of them.

Did I specifically reference you?

The vast majority around here have issues with Croyle for one of two reasons:

Where he was drafted.

His injury history.

You've been around too long not to have seen the diatribes about him "only" being a 3rd round pick.

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Where he was drafted.

His injury history.

You've been around too long not to have seen the diatribes about him "only" being a 3rd round pick.

Yep those are the 2 reasons around here why people hate Croyle.

ChiefRon
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Where he was drafted.

His injury history.

His injury history worries me. I don't give a crap about his draft status...my fav QB of all time was a 3rd rounder.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Where he was drafted.

His injury history.

I'm sorry man I must have typed it wrong. I was completely agreeing with you.

ct
05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Aikman didn't even win one game. He started 11 games that year and went 0-11 in them. The Cowboys won a single game but Aikman was out with injury that game.

Thanks for the corrected info, I was too lazy to look it up.

DaneMcCloud
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM

I doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a HOF QB just because those guys lost their first 7 games. :huh:

TEX
05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Croyle. I bet he folds like a paper tent when it's for real. IMO, he's one of these "practice" QB's that have "all the tools" and exhibit them in practice. So, coaches hold on to them longer than they should.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a HOF QB just because those guys lost their first 7 games. :huh:

So true, but no one ever said he would be. Just that the losses do not, by default, make him a failure.

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
IMO, he's one of these "practice" QB's that have "all the tools" and exhibit them in practice. So, coaches hold on to them longer than they should.

These doesn't look like practice to me. These look like Brodie Croyle fitting the ball in a shoebox twice and then taking a shot in the mouth while firing a touchdown pass.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2i109l.gif

http://i27.tinypic.com/2012e02.gif

http://i28.tinypic.com/14l1xzl.gif

Now if he can just do it consistently.

LiL stumppy
05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Bowe's vast NFL experience
has me convinced

It doesn't necessarily take experience to know when a player is throwing good.

beach tribe
05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
These doesn't look like practice to me. These look like Brodie Croyle fitting the ball in a shoebox twice and then taking a shot in the mouth while firing a touchdown pass.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

A little more protection, and a running game baby. Gunslinger.

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
This is another outstanding throw. Hell, this is almost Elway-esque. You can't coach this kind of throw. Croyle was born with the ability to do this. Off his back foot, under duress (OK, phantom duress, but Brodie was scared shitless by something), he fires a rocket right in Webb's breadbasket 40 yards down the field.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2qtx3qa.gif

This is another extremely difficult throw. Croyle fakes a handoff, and has to turn and locate a receiver in the two seconds just before he gets NAILED right in the chops. He gets the ball 50 yards down the field (accounting for angle and Croyle's drop) for a touchdown with reasonably good accuracy.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2q8ulb9.gif

CupidStunt
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I don't know why there's so much debate over Croyle, to be honest. He's got 16 games in what is essentially a throwaway season (in terms of immediate significane, i.e. we're not going to the Super Bowl or even the playoffs). That's it. If he sucks, he's DONE. He'll either ride the pine for another year and head somewhere else, or sign a cap-friendly deal after a year on the bench only to be the backup for another five years.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But very cautious indeed. He has some good traits (leadership, arm strength, mobility, work ethic) and some real bad ones (durability, consistency, accuracy). This is the PRIME opportunity in every which way, from being the starter through the entire offseason, taking first team reps, etc., to having a healthy and improved supporting cast (LJ, O-line, more targets), to having a full 16-game slate to show his stuff. He doesn't have six or seven games to show his stuff; he's got a full season to show whether or not he's the guy. It should be real easy to judge him next January if he can stay healthy -- which is a big part of the judgement in itself. Does he throw for 3200+ with a positive TD:INT ratio, or does he struggle to top 2500 yards -- whether due to injuries, performance or both -- and toss more INTs than TDs (and not many TDs to boot)?

We'll see. We're Chiefs fans so we're expecting the worst, but there are plenty of guys out there who surprised the league. There's no definitive reason why Croyle can't add to that list. He's in a better situation than some who have succeeded. Let's see if he has the goods.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2008, 05:23 PM

http://i31.tinypic.com/2i109l.gif

http://i27.tinypic.com/2012e02.gif

THIS is what I mean, I know I'm not taking crazy pills saying that I've SEEN him make plays in games that has to give anyone some shred of hope- even being a Chiefs fan and all.

I don't think he's a workout warrior, or a practice phenom. I think he has all the tools to do it, and if you're gonna knock the guy, it's his size / durability- which was a known f*cking fact before he was drafted. If the guy is 2 inches taller and 30 lbs heaver, he is 1st round no doubt. Any team could have had their Dr's check out his knees to see if they checked out.

Now, if's and but's... blah blah blah, but really These clips above are why I have some pause to rush to judgment for a green QB with almost nothing in terms of support around him.

I think he's done much better at improving his reads and either anticipating where he has to put the ball or not taking stupid chances downfield. Which IMO he did quite a bit starting out. Farve did this shit too, and still does- NOT that I'm making a comparison between the two. Could be I am completely off, but one of my only saving graces for tuning in every damn week last season was to watch this kid so I could better size him up.

I saw things I liked. So, as long as the coaches realize he's gonna have to have pretty solid pass blocking probably to avoid getting worked over, I think he can excel. Nothing too profound in that statement, I know, but we as an organization have traditionally been a very very solid squad along the O-line, and its not something I would like to change.

My hope is that he'll put on some muscle and as he get a few years older will naturally fill out a bit more.

Or, we could just crucify him now.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't know why there's so much debate over Croyle, to be honest. He's got 16 games in what is essentially a throwaway season (in terms of immediate significane, i.e. we're not going to the Super Bowl or even the playoffs). That's it. If he sucks, he's DONE. He'll either ride the pine for another year and head somewhere else, or sign a cap-friendly deal after a year on the bench only to be the backup for another five years.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But very cautious indeed. He has some good traits (leadership, arm strength, mobility, work ethic) and some real bad ones (durability, consistency, accuracy). This is the PRIME opportunity in every which way, from being the starter through the entire offseason, taking first team reps, etc., to having a healthy and improved supporting cast (LJ, O-line, more targets), to having a full 16-game slate to show his stuff. He doesn't have six or seven games to show his stuff; he's got a full season to show whether or not he's the guy. It should be real easy to judge him next January if he can stay healthy -- which is a big part of the judgement in itself. Does he throw for 3200+ with a positive TD:INT ratio, or does he struggle to top 2500 yards -- whether due to injuries, performance or both -- and toss more INTs than TDs (and not many TDs to boot)?

We'll see. We're Chiefs fans so we're expecting the worst, but there are plenty of guys out there who surprised the league. There's no definitive reason why Croyle can't add to that list. He's in a better situation than some who have succeeded. Let's see if he has the goods.

Can't disagree with much:

durability = Yeah, my biggest worry
consistency = A.K.A. inexperienced and hardly has seen the field
accuracy = I think he has a pretty nice touch on the long ball, and will be much better when he has an opportunity to get in sync with his WR's.

His TD:INT ratio this year isn't a complete concern for me, b/c so often QB's get INT's when it wasn't their fault. The nature of how he get picked off and his rationale for why he made the throw is more important to me. Seeing Jake Plummer toss retarded Left-handed INT's is the sort of shit that puts me on warning.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkhFgMLIoFQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

CupidStunt
05-21-2008, 05:38 PM
consistency = A.K.A. inexperienced and hardly has seen the field
accuracy = I think he has a pretty nice touch on the long ball, and will be much better when he has an opportunity to get in sync with his WR's.

I'm not prepared to excuse his inconsistency due to inexperience. He's experienced enough to be a little more consistent. That's not to say I expect perfection but rather subtle improvement in the areas where he was weaker. I haven't seen that yet. For instance, he needs to consistently be able to complete short passes (under 12-15 yards), such as to Gonzalez over the middle, with good touch and accuracy. I haven't seen that yet. He's proven he can, but then every so often he'll throw a rifle three yards wide of his target. That type of stuff is what I'm talking about.

His accuracy ... is inconsistent. Again, he's proven able to put the ball where it needs to be (and in tight spots on occassion), but he's also thrown some awful passes. Just ugly ducks that a college QB would be ashamed of.

None of this shit is impossible to overcome. It's just something that he needs to do before we say he can. Here's hoping.

aturnis
05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
For instance, he needs to consistently be able to complete short passes (under 12-15 yards), such as to Gonzalez over the middle, with good touch and accuracy. I haven't seen that yet. He's proven he can, but then every so often he'll throw a rifle three yards wide of his target. That type of stuff is what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't some of that be improved after establishing good timing w/ his receivers?

FAX
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
That's a good assessment, in my view, Mr. lj4mvp. Croyle has appeared to struggle with the short passing game for some reason. He throws those passes hot. It may well be that he's not accustomed to reading NFL defenses, he's too pumped, or he's expecting the receivers to catch the damn thing. Who knows?

Nevertheless, it's a part of his game that needs work. On the other hand, I'd rather see him going deep, anyhow. If Herm wants to play dump-off-ball, put Huard back in.

FAX

CupidStunt
05-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Wouldn't some of that be improved after establishing good timing w/ his receivers?

I'm sure it would help, but not really. I expect every starting QB to be able to complete straight-forward <15 yard passes at a very high percentage. Croyle hasn't done that yet.

Again, not saying he won't, just that he hasn't. If he can do that, and of course stay healthy, he'll have a pretty good floor as far as being a starting QB goes. Anything more than that will be the stuff that makes him a good or even great QB as opposed to just a solid one.

blueballs
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
It doesn't necessarily take experience to know when a player is throwing good.

Bowe had an outstanding rookie year
but his opinion doesn't carry the weight of a Tony G
1 year doesn't make a pro/or highly valued opinion

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Bowe had an outstanding rookie year
but his opinion doesn't carry the weight of a Tony G
1 year doesn't make a pro/or highly valued opinion

Gonzalez said that he thought Brodie Croyle would be a "real good QB in this league"

Fish
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM

This play in particular..... look at him go through each read. I can't be positive, but he goes through at least 3. He patiently waits, and throws a TD in the face of a rushing lineman.

Not a perfect spiral, but a good job of decision making in the red zone.

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
This play in particular..... look at him go through each read. I can't be positive, but he goes through at least 3. He patiently waits, and throws a TD in the face of a rushing lineman.

Not a perfect spiral, but a good job of decision making in the red zone.

It was pouring down rain as well, I was one of the few dumbasses still left in the stadium.

picasso
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I want him to succeed just to piss of most of the people here that were sucking off Huard all last year...

Huard won games though with the same losers that lined up with Croyle.
I hope that he succeeds because he has to and for no other reason! Otherwise give me Pigpen, Thighskin, Thongtwin, Thickskin, Pigkid, whatever his name is....

Micjones
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
LJ played in the Detroit game?

whoman69
05-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't think anyone has questioned Croyle's ability to throw the football. His ability to make proper decisions... If I was QB coach and I saw him throwing off his back foot again, he would hear it for the next five minutes. That's a horrible habit he needs to be broken of, and its how he gets most of his interceptions.

FAX
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Fiddlesh*t, Croyle haters!!!

Let he among you who hath no area of your game that requireth improvement cast the first football.

FAX

Frankie
05-21-2008, 07:17 PM
We don't need a 1st round QB next year even if Brodie does stink it up. We still have Thigpen! :)

I've also heard Rich Scanlon might be coming back after he destroys and/or catches all Al Qaede members.

Mizzou_8541
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM

We had the worst rushing attack in the NFL BECAUSE we had no line. I don't think those two are independent of each other.

aturnis
05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
We had the worst rushing attack in the NFL BECAUSE we had no line. I don't think those two are independent of each other.

Not to mention LJ only half the season...point is, there were more factors to that than just the line. Also, I'm think he may have meant pass blocking line.

aturnis
05-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Huard won games though with the same losers that lined up with Croyle.
I hope that he succeeds because he has to and for no other reason! Otherwise give me Pigpen, Thighskin, Thongtwin, Thickskin, Pigkid, whatever his name is....

No...not with all the same players. As someone mentioned before. Croyle didn't have LJ or a decent LT his entire starting stint.

BIG K
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
No...not with all the same players. As someone mentioned before. Croyle didn't have LJ or a decent LT his entire starting stint.

LT? Other than Waters, he really had no blocking for him. Mr. Croyle spent more time on his back last year than Mrs. Croyle.....

InChiefsHell
05-22-2008, 10:34 AM
LT? Other than Waters, he really had no blocking for him. Mr. Croyle spent more time on his back last year than Mrs. Croyle.....

I hear that's how she rolls...but I digress...:p

crazycoffey
05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah and if I could win the powerball I would be sitting here posting this from a remote beach island.

FYP

smittysbar
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Amazing how everyone wants to rebuild but post dumb ****ing comments about a QB that hasn't even gotten a realistic chance.

Here's to 8-8 DUMB****S..........seems to be the only thing that satisfies some of you dip shits on here.

crazycoffey
05-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd be happy with 8-8....

:p

Pablo
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Amazing how everyone wants to rebuild but post dumb ****ing comments about a QB that hasn't even gotten a realistic chance.

Here's to 8-8 DUMB****S..........seems to be the only thing that satisfies some of you dip shits on here.
6-10 Do it again!
7-9 Chiefs fans feel fine
8-8 We're doing great!
9-7 OMG Heaven!!!!

Frankie
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM

I really don't think Waters was even able to do his thing, having to make up for the rest of the line's incompetence.

Brock
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
He probably still won't stay on the field.

Moobs
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Did he learn how to not become injury prone so far this off-season?