PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone Ever Put Up A Privacy Fence?

MTG#10
05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Okay, Im not the handiest guy in the world, I can do minor car repairs and fix little things around the house but I know if I were to take on a project like a privacy fence I would end up screwing it up somehow. I got a few estimates and most of them are around $2300 for pine and $2500-$2800 for cedar. This is for 145' of 6' tall fence (neighbors in the back already have one so I only need the sides/gate). Does this sound about right? Is there anyone here in the Springfield area that can beat that price?

bogey
05-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Okay, Im not the handiest guy in the world, I can do minor car repairs and fix little things around the house but I know if I were to take on a project like a privacy fence I would end up screwing it up somehow. I got a few estimates and most of them are around $2300 for pine and $2500-$2800 for cedar. This is for 145' of 6' tall fence (neighbors in the back already have one so I only need the sides/gate). Does this sound about right? Is there anyone here in the Springfield area that can beat that price?

If you're not afraid of the work, this is a fairly simple project.

MTG#10
05-21-2008, 05:26 PM
If you're not afraid of the work, this is a fairly simple project.
Yeah thats what everyone says - its not that Im afraid of the work, Im just afraid of ****ing it up/wasting money and/or it looking like shit when Im done.

Molitoth
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I just got done doing this for my mom last weekend. easy work.

Measure post spots, dig holes about 18", put in 4x4 (use a level), cement, drink beer, screw in fence.

bogey
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah thats what everyone says - its not that Im afraid of the work, Im just afraid of ****ing it up/wasting money and/or it looking like shit when Im done.

I completely get it. Although I'd bet if you tried, you would be surprised how well it turned out. Also, if you buy the materials yourself (which you should do to save money) and start the project, you're going to realize pretty quick whether you can or can't do it. If you decide you can't, it's likely you wouldn't have done much damage and someone can come in and finish it for you.

Rain Man
05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
For that kind of money, it might be easier to just bring the picnic table into your bedroom.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
not that out of line. I usually estimate about $15/lf.

stlchiefs
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
For that kind of money, it might be easier to just bring the picnic table into your bedroom.

LMAO

Can you really blame the guy here, he's sick of Donger staring at him when he's in the garage. He hasn't been able to make love to his table since he moved into the new place.

alanm
05-21-2008, 07:45 PM
LMAO

Can you really blame the guy here, he's sick of Donger staring at him when he's in the garage. He hasn't been able to make love to his table since he moved into the new place.
And for Gawds sake please don't share any pictures of the wife or the table which he prefers over the wife. :spock:

Spott
05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I just got done doing this for my mom last weekend. easy work.

Measure post spots, dig holes about 18", put in 4x4 (use a level), cement, drink beer, screw in fence.

Also make sure and call the utility companies before you dig up the yard. Neighbors tend to get a little pissy when you cut off their cable tv, etc.

Phobia
05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
If nobody has said anything about mason line yet, disregard everything you've read on this thread.