PDA

View Full Version : Life F'ing Dentists

BWillie
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
So I haven't been to the dentist in about a year. I have a DMO this year and thought I should be going to get a check up. Now in the past I have neglected my teeth a little bit. Never flossed, brushed only once a day but just liberally used mouthwash until my last dental appointment a year ago. I eat like six or seven meals a day so for the last year I've been diligently brushing my teeth 2-3 times a day, flossing 3 times a week and everything.

I've never got a cavity before and then all of a sudden I go and I have 3 cavities. My insurance has a copay of 5 dollars which is good, but to get the cavities filled I have to pay $300 out of pocket. What a bunch of shit.

I just find it hard to believe that by taking better care of my teeth, flossing and using mouthwash my teeth get worse. I went to a new dentist that I've never been before thats under the DMO. They used this "laser" thing and put it on my teeth and when I said I was surprised I had that many cavities the dentist says "well the laser doesn't lie".

My teeth feel fine, and I know that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have any cavities but I just feel weary. Wish I could get a second opinion somewhere.

Mofugger.....if insurance isn't going to cover it all I might as well just get a flexible spending account instead of getting dental insurance.

Please share your unpleasant dental encounters

Spott
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
6 or 7 meals a day? Are you related to Mangino?

CrazyPhuD
05-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Heh I've had two cavities in my 2 wisdom teeth for 7 years. I'm going to eventually get the teeth pulled(that was always the plan), but just haven't gotten around to doing it. The teeth don't bother me so it hasn't been a priority. My dentist monitors it and they're still small after 7 years.

DaFace
05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I had to change dentists when I moved out here, of course. My old dentist used white porcelain fillings most of the time - even on molars. I'm no expert, so I don't know if that's really a bad thing or not, but my new dentist out here apparently thinks they're the root of all evil. I've had six fillings from him in the last year that were all pretty much taking out the porcelain ones and putting in the silver ones.

Eh well. At least our insurance covers the bulk of it.

BWillie
05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Heh I've had two cavities in my 2 wisdom teeth for 7 years. I'm going to eventually get the teeth pulled(that was always the plan), but just haven't gotten around to doing it. The teeth don't bother me so it hasn't been a priority. My dentist monitors it and they're still small after 7 years.

Yeah? I know if I ask the dentist if I should do it they will go well of course you have to do it bla bla bla and give me the dental correct explanation. But if it's not going to cause real further damage or make me get a route canal in the immediate future why not put it off for a few years. Maybe wisdom teeth are different? I already got mine pulled so it was never an issue.

Friendo
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
just turned 51 and I've yet to get the first. I did have one new dentist say something about "a little soft spot", and I think that was his way of testing the waters, so there could be something to what you're implying. second opinion never hurts.

CrazyPhuD
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah? I know if I ask the dentist if I should do it they will go well of course you have to do it bla bla bla and give me the dental correct explanation. But if it's not going to cause real further damage or make me get a route canal in the immediate future why not put it off for a few years. Maybe wisdom teeth are different? I already got mine pulled so it was never an issue.

It's a bit different since my wisdom teeth are coming out anyway. Just hard to keep clean because they are so far back. For other teeth I wouldn't wait that long, never had one but willing to be you really don't want to risk a root canal.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
My dentist just quit and I got a new one. I'm still trying to get my bionic tooth installed, and the last step was to get the dentist to put it in. Well, the new dentist said that I need three (silver) fillings replaced and have one cavity. I thought he was a bit cavalier about it, so I was like, "Screw this" and switched dentists to get a second opinion. (Still chewing with the screw where the bionic tooth goes, by the way.)

Anyway, my wife went to the dentist this very morning. She's got great teeth, and drew the same new dentist. He told her that he needs to replace seven fillings, so she's switching dentists, too. I've half a mind to turn that guy in to the insurance company.

KCChiefsMan
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know for fact, but I have a sneaky suspicion that some dentists tell you need something, like a crown or something expensive, when you actually don't.

BWillie
05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't know for fact, but I have a sneaky suspicion that some dentists tell you need something, like a crown or something expensive, when you actually don't.

Yeah honestly who's gonna know if they lie to you? It's not like you can look in your mouth and go oh look there is the cavity right there

stlchiefs
05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I had to change dentists when I moved out here, of course. My old dentist used white porcelain fillings most of the time - even on molars. I'm no expert, so I don't know if that's really a bad thing or not, but my new dentist out here apparently thinks they're the root of all evil. I've had six fillings from him in the last year that were all pretty much taking out the porcelain ones and putting in the silver ones.

Eh well. At least our insurance covers the bulk of it.

That's odd. I had some old silver fillings that my dentist drilled out and refilled with composite fillings when they were filling a nearby cavity. My dentist is a good family friend so they did this for free, but said the opposite of your dentist, that the composites are better and wanted to replace my old fillings with the composite.

Here's some info on fillings for anyone interested. http://www.ada.org/public/topics/fillings.asp

Chief Chief
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
6 or 7 meals a day? Are you related to Mangino?

While not related, he's considered to be the "rabbit" who sets the initial daily pace of ingestion for Mangino in the same way a runner will run the first 2 laps of a mile race in 2 minutes (and then run off of the track) to set the pace for a 4-minute mile.

djrcmay
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Don't pay, keep your cavities.

Der Flöprer
05-22-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but have you noticed that when you go to the doctor because you stubbed your toe, the first thing they ask you is if you smoke, and if you do you need to quit and that will make your sore toe go away? Are you picking up what I'm laying down? I know you are...............

yeti
05-22-2008, 11:22 PM
not to hijack the thread but are there any dentists on the planet?

DaFace
05-22-2008, 11:28 PM
That's odd. I had some old silver fillings that my dentist drilled out and refilled with composite fillings when they were filling a nearby cavity. My dentist is a good family friend so they did this for free, but said the opposite of your dentist, that the composites are better and wanted to replace my old fillings with the composite.

Here's some info on fillings for anyone interested. http://www.ada.org/public/topics/fillings.asp

Ahh...composite - not porcelain. Oh well, whatever the white stuff is...

I certainly don't know which are better, but my current dentist argues that they amalgram ones hold up better for molars where they have to withstand lots of pressure. They do the composite fillings, but only on front teeth.

stlchiefs
05-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Ahh...composite - not porcelain. Oh well, whatever the white stuff is...

I certainly don't know which are better, but my current dentist argues that they amalgram ones hold up better for molars where they have to withstand lots of pressure. They do the composite fillings, but only on front teeth.

We shall see as I have composites on my molars now. How old are you? We'll have to revisit this thread in 25 years and report on our teef.

thebrad84
05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah honestly who's gonna know if they lie to you? It's not like you can look in your mouth and go oh look there is the cavity right there

Actually yes, yes you can. I just had 3 cavities filled about 5 months ago. When the dentist told me he had found 3 cavities, he asked if i wanted to see them and then proceeded to show me via a 15 inch LCD TV in front of the dental chair that was directly hooked up to their digital X-rays. The dentist pulled up my teeth, enlarged them by about 3x and showed me the actual cavities in each tooth. I only had to pay $200 out of pocket for the 3 fillings, but not sure what he charged overall.

Rausch
05-23-2008, 12:13 AM
They're all ****ing sadists if you ask me...

Joie
05-23-2008, 12:23 AM

Agreed. There is no such thing as a dentist that isn't evil.

Jenson71
05-23-2008, 12:57 AM
They're slightly less evil than orthodontists, who love giving braces so they can pay off their new boats and summer homes.

BWillie
05-23-2008, 12:59 AM
They're slightly less evil than orthodontists, who love giving braces so they can pay off their new boats and summer homes.

I shoulda been an orthodontist. All mine did was walk around flirt with the assistants and milfs and go oh yeah your kids teeth are f*cked up. I'll let my orthodontist assistant fix it for you while I sit around and try to cheat on my wife. Thats it. Swear to god

Frazod
05-23-2008, 01:01 AM

:D

Discuss Thrower
05-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Had my previous dentist tell me I needed a root canal when I had a sensitive molar to the point I was smashing thangs a la the Hulk because of the pain... Turns out the molar had been exposed by the gumline that had temporarily receded because of my braces...

DenverChief
05-23-2008, 03:36 AM

bingo

acesn8s
05-23-2008, 04:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqY6cJD3CE&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=bill+cosby+dentist&hl=en&sitesearch=

kepp
05-23-2008, 07:42 AM
They used this "laser" thing and put it on my teeth and when I said I was surprised I had that many cavities the dentist says "well the laser doesn't lie".

Dude...the last dentist I went to used the same device. I felt confident going in that my teeth were fine and then he goes all high tech. He said it finds spots in teeth that are starting to decay. Translated - not really cavities but possible future cavities.

Coincidentally, I have a dentist appt today :shake:

kc rush
05-23-2008, 08:24 AM
I went to a dentist near my office in Overland Park a few years ago and this guy said that I had 8 cavities. I hadn't been to the dentist in a while, so I didn't expect to be in great shape, but I never expected 8. Even with my insurance, it was going to cost $500 out of pocket.

Fortunately, my sister-in-law is a dentist, so I figured that I'd get the family discount when we visited her in Des Moines. She did X-rays and a full exam and found only 3 cavities. Freaking scamming dentist. Now I only let my SIL take care of my teeth.

sedated
05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
you're all rabid anti-dentites!

sedated
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM

what's the difference between a sadist and a dentist?

newer magazines

tmax63
05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Being a Pharmacy tech I have to do continuing education to keep my certification. What turned me off to Dentists was that I read an article on ce's and learned that 90% of ce's for dentists are in marketing and sales, not improvements in care or something that helps a patient. The other thing that pisses me off is that dental insurance doesn't cover squat as evidenced by people's stories above. That tells me the insurance companies are onto their scam and won't play into it. That leaves us to get hosed with the bill for crap we don't always need.

Lzen
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM

I agree. I had some silver ones that I got replaced last year with the white stuff. They had been in for about 8-10 years until I had them replaced because they were starting to corrode. Only reason I got those in the first place is because the insurance covered those much better than the porcelain ones.