PDA

View Full Version : Misc Broken toe?

NewChief
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Alright,

I've been making fun of my wife for hurting herself on our new platform bed. Tonight, I kicked the hell out of one of the corner supports with my toe. I heard a loud cracking noise, and I'm still gimpy 2 hours later. Pain is all in the joint to the foot, not in the joint of the toe. Definitely don't have full movement. Serious pain that 800 mg of ibuprofen and a couple of glasses of wine (yes, I know ibu and alcohol are bad for your liver) hasn't dulled.

My question:
Should I even go to the doctor? Are they going to be able to do anything for a broken or jammed toe? Don't you just basically have to let it mend?

I'm a runner and live an active lifestyle, so I don't want longterm foot issues, but I'm not sure there is much that a doctor is going to do for a broken toe?

I need you frustrated Planeteers who would all be doctors if you'd just made it through that first year of Freshman Chemistry.

Buehler445
05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
If the bone is not sticking out, there is probably not much you can do with it. But I would go to the Dr. if I were you since you run a lot.

NewChief
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
If the bone is not sticking out, there is probably not much you can do with it. But I would go to the Dr. if I were you since you run a lot.

Yeah, I tried the "pull it until it pops" method, hoping it would straighten everything out and that it was just jammed really bad. It never popped, but I did have to pour another glass of wine at that point.

Maybe after this glass, I'll be able to make it pop.

Spott
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
It's not worth going to a doctor even if it is broken. They can't do anything for it unless it was actually dislocated or it was a really bad fracture, which it doesn't sound like it is.

FAX
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
This is pretty serious, Mr. NewPhin. You should go to the ER asap and demand narcotics and a splint. You can always throw the splint away later.

These things take forever to heal. Sometimes they heal improperly, too. Those are the guys you see on the sidewalks in Manhattan walking in circles.

FAX

NewChief
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm liking the direction that the advice is taking so far. I think I'm going to break out my drum and go have a man circle in the back yard to dull the pain.

NewChief
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
This is pretty serious, Mr. NewPhin. You should go to the ER asap and demand narcotics and a splint. You can always throw the splint away later.

There is a mediquik within walking distance of my house. It may be the pain, but I'm pretty sure that a siren song of hydrocodone has been emanating from that direction for the last hour or so.

On the other hand, last time I went there was with a weird migraine after going to a Busch series event in KC and a game at Arrowhead the next day. They prescribed me hydrocodone, which I greatly appreciated, but it cost me $60 for the visit. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the pills cheaper on the street.

You also have to figure in the intangible cost of the doctor looking at you like one of the other pill popping junkies in the lobby hoping for a script.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
It's not worth going to a doctor even if it is broken. They can't do anything for it unless it was actually dislocated or it was a really bad fracture, which it doesn't sound like it is.

Yeah, I broke a toe once, and the doctor's advice was "Limp until it gets well." All breaks are probably different, but mine healed fine.

blueballs
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
soak it in cider

NewChief
05-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Update:

The wife is now insisting that she "heard me walking normal" as I went in to the living room to check on her but that my limp became more pronounced when I entered her line of sight. I guess my manhood has been questioned at this point. When next I post, I may have decided to cut off the offending toe.

Spott
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I broke a toe once, and the doctor's advice was "Limp until it gets well." All breaks are probably different, but mine healed fine.

I broke my pinky toe on my left foot twice when I was a kid and it still sticks up higher than the others ever since I broke it the second time. I just remember it being kind of a nuisance for a little while and every now and then when I put too much weight on it I would feel a pretty good sharp pain.

Adept Havelock
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry to hear it. AFAIK, there's really not much to be done about a broken toe.

Silock
05-22-2008, 10:22 PM
There's not much you can do about it, but I'd still go to the doc.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Update:

The wife is now insisting that she "heard me walking normal" as I went in to the living room to check on her but that my limp became more pronounced when I entered her line of sight. I guess my manhood has been questioned at this point. When next I post, I may have decided to cut off the offending toe.

You may have to remove a couple of them. She gave you a pretty strong accusation.

stlchiefs
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I broke 3 toes in high school at the beginning of soccer season. The trainer said there was nothing you could do, but let them heal. Talk about PAIN trying to run and play soccer with three broken toes. I feel for ya, especially if you are a runner.

I still remember catching shit from the team because the trainer tried to make some stupid "toe cast" by molding a cast over the front part of my cleat. I don't recall my coach ever laughing so hard as when he saw me walk out on the field with that thing.

Joie
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Update:

Have you apologized profusely for making fun of her? No? I wouldn't be expecting sympathy.

cdcox
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I've seen threads like this before and I'm afraid the news in not good. Lisfranc. Your career is over.

Ari Chi3fs
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Alright,

I've been making fun of my wife for hurting herself on our new platform bed. Tonight, I kicked the hell out of one of the corner supports with my toe. I heard a loud cracking noise, and I'm still gimpy 2 hours later. Pain is all in the joint to the foot, not in the joint of the toe. Definitely don't have full movement. Serious pain that 800 mg of ibuprofen and a couple of glasses of wine (yes, I know ibu and alcohol are bad for your liver) hasn't dulled.

My question:
Should I even go to the doctor? Are they going to be able to do anything for a broken or jammed toe? Don't you just basically have to let it mend?

I'm a runner and live an active lifestyle, so I don't want longterm foot issues, but I'm not sure there is much that a doctor is going to do for a broken toe?

I need you frustrated Planeteers who would all be doctors if you'd just made it through that first year of Freshman Chemistry.

It's FLUSTRATED, noob. Get it right. sorry about your tow.

TrebMaxx
05-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Didn't Ronnie Lott find a cure for breaks such as these. I think it might have been a finger, but there isn't much difference.:shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but have you noticed that when you go to the doctor because you stubbed your toe, the first thing they ask you is if you smoke, and if you do you need to quit and that will make your sore toe go away? Are you picking up what I'm laying down? I know you are...............

Looks like I posted this in the wrong thread. Just thought I'd move it where it belongs.

Phobia
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Jeesh - what a wuss. No wonder your wife has no sympathy. She watches her brother get his brain scrambled and you're whining about a stupid toe.

My wife is as klutzy as they come and she breaks a toe once a month. Man up.

ClevelandBronco
05-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm afraid that you may be facing toe replacement surgery sometime in your future.

TinyEvel
05-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I think you should sit out the rest of the season, but have your front office let the press know that you may return any time and they're not quite sure hat the issue is, but state that it is flustrating and last time they checked you were still the starting running back, even though you are not anywhere in the city, nor even the state on game day. And then daclare you on IR just before the last game. Get some rest. There's always next year.
Suit up for three practices and then take a day off.

stlchiefs
05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm afraid that you may be facing toe replacement surgery sometime in your future.

Do we have any willing donors?

Joie
05-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Do we have any willing donors?

Should my knee surgery go horribly wrong, sure.

He should know though that my toes are accustomed to being polished.

cdcox
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Should my knee surgery go horribly wrong, sure.

He should know though that my toes are accustomed to being polished.

In that case he better start looking for a camel willing to make a donation as well.

Logical
05-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Not much you can do for a broken toe but pulling on it is a bad idea. That is a good way to damage the fine ligaments and you can end up with in essence turf toe. Leave it alone and tough it out.

acesn8s
05-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Someone else started a thread like this about a year ago. Guru maybe?

Anyway, ask Larry Johnson how quickly it will heal.

NewChief
05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Jeesh - what a wuss. No wonder your wife has no sympathy. She watches her brother get his brain scrambled and you're whining about a stupid toe.

My wife is as klutzy as they come and she breaks a toe once a month. Man up.

Despite persistent gimpiness that may well earn me the nickname "hop-a-long", I'm up at 5:00 am to hit the gym, so I guess I manned up.

penguinz
05-23-2008, 07:01 AM
(yes, I know ibu and alcohol are bad for your liver) ibu and alcohol are fine together. Ibu is filtered by your kidneys. It is acetaminophen you don't want to take with alcohol.

kepp
05-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Maybe after this glass, I'll be able to make it pop.

Tie one end of a string to the toe and the other end to a doorknob. Then SLAM the door shut. Wait...

Fire Me Boy!
05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Update:

Next time she has her period, tell her you heard her acting normal, but her PMS became more pronounced when she entered your line of sight.

kc rush
05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I broke my big toe about 12 years ago. I went to the doc, he said, yes its broken then proceded to tape my big toe and the next one together. He said that it was all he could do.

I broke it again a couple of years ago and didn't bother with the doc, I just pulled out the tape. I figured, why waste the co-pay when all he is going to do is tape my toes.

FAX
05-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Next time she has her period, tell her you heard her acting normal, but her PMS became more pronounced when she entered your line of sight.

LMAO

FAX

MOhillbilly
05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
could be gout.

StcChief
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
rub some dirt on it /Peyton

Cntrygal
05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Karma's a bitch.

:D

Demonpenz
05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
If it sucked that bad have you ever maybe they could give you a local numbing shot in that area. I had an ingrown toe nail in highschool doc gave me a shot then started pulling my bigtoe nail out with a pair of pliers

Phobia
05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Despite persistent gimpiness that may well earn me the nickname "hop-a-long", I'm up at 5:00 am to hit the gym, so I guess I manned up.
Well done. I... was not.

Sully
05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
I worked out* at 5 this morning, as well.

* if by "working out" you mean I rolled my fat ass out of bed, went to pee, and dragged my fat ass back into the bed for another hour.

gblowfish
05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I broke my pinkie toe a few years back. I was going thru the basement barefoot in the dark and accidentally kicked a metal & concrete support pillar. Hurt like hell, turned black & blue, took about 2 months to heal. Not much you can do but ice it, and try to stay off it as much as you can.