PDA

View Full Version : Life A stroke of a story from last night

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Must have been a full moon out.

Posting the story in the next post, so header isn't huge!

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
So this lovely story starts at the local pub and grub. A place very similar to Cheers, everyone knows your name and there are lots of old men sitting around bitching about anything and smacking the waitresses on the ass.
<O:p</O:p

I had been sitting next to my girl for a few hours and around 10pm we decide to stop talking about what we are going to do to each other when we got to my apartment and finally pay our bill and go put it all into active practice. Suddenly, what appeared to be a wonderful evening started to turn into a twilight zone episode.

One old local barfly came in stumbling like he had already been there for a few hours. A few other locals help him up onto a stool on the other side of the bar from us. We all notice something different about our Bar Buddy. Most of the crowd around him started asking what happened to him, if he had been drinking or if he was feeling alright. He just said he didn't feel very good, and wanted a cigarette.

I knew what was going on. Not to sound like the hero of the story, but come on - ex police officer/fire fighter; I do have some emergency medical training/experience. Our Buddy was stroking out, right in front of us. The left side of his face was droopy, he couldn't use his left arm, and when addressed on his left side, he would turn so he could see that person with his right eye. Labored breathing and hard time keeping his balance in the chair, yeah it was looking real bad.

I didn't see him when he first walked in, but I noticed all the above factors while he was trying to smoke a cigarette and he kept dropping it on the bar. I looked at one of the other regulars sitting next to him and tried to ask if anyone had called an ambulance yet. He shook his head no, said our Bar Buddy didn't want one. I told the bartender to dial and she went to the kitchen area followed by my girl (she works there too). Thinking they were calling, I just stayed in my seat and kept watch on him to see if he might fall over.

When the girls returned from the back they said they called his brother, but not an ambulance. To my shock many other regulars around me were fighting me on the idea of calling 911, saying our Bar Buddy doesn't have insurance. F-that is what I said and I took my cell outside to call for help. When I get off the phone and am waiting for the first responder to show up, I notice some guy (who was being a loud mouth earlier that night, and no one had ever seen him before) was sitting in my chair hitting on my girl!

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I go inside to grab a smoke and did so with my utmost caveman etiquette, by giving a nice little elbow in his ribs while I grab my pack and lighter, gave the girl a quick kiss and told her the updates from my call. She was the only one that was relieved I made the call, at first everyone else was acting like I was wearing a turd visor, or something. I go back outside to wait and help the emergency folks in to the proper area. I went back to my chair (yea, he was gone) and pull out the popcorn to watch the show.

While sitting there worried about a friend; the girl and I reopen our tab, pull out a cigarette and talk about the events. Some other new guy (who was there with a semi-regular) asked my girl for a cigarette, she grabs the pack we’d been sharing (in front of me) and pulls one out for the guy. As she places the pack back in front of me, I hear him say “thanks sweetheart”. So I playfully said; “you’re welcome”, with a half cocky smile.

I went to help lift Bar Buddy on the stretcher when his brother shows up and starts demanding everyone leave Buddy alone and he knows how to take care of him. The paramedic calmly says, “He is having a stroke right now, it’s bad. His blood pressure is 220 over 160 and he needs to get to a hospital, now!” The brother says to just give him some aspirins. The medic informed the brother that aspirin would only kill Buddy at this point.

As I start to make my way back to my chair I notice cigarette dude is now trying to pick up my lady. She has this look like, WTF is happening here! When I sat down she told me she was trying to pay attention to what was happening with Bar Buddy, and the guy just started asking her questions and trying to talk to her. He was now sitting on her left and me on her right. She gets up to use the restroom and I do my best not to F with the dude, but I was a little hopped up on alcohol and adrenaline, so I just sat there for a second, until they left. I did say “bye, sweetheart” as he got out of his chair, and this time I didn’t try to sound sarcastic. I couldn’t help it, you know, caveman etiquette and all….

The brother ended up taking Bar Buddy to the hospital, but we weren’t sure he would really do it, from the way he was acting. So we called the hospital to see if he was checked in about 30 minutes later. He was, so everyone started to feel better. Girlie wanted to get one last drink and another shot to help us “calm down”. I advised her to just get the drink if she wanted, but the adrenaline high was about to do a 180. Sure enough, 5 minutes into her last drink and she hit the wall. Started to hang her head down and muttered “oh, crap.” I like being right sometimes.

<O:p</O:pWe went to the apartment, showered – played around, it was a happy ending, but I didn’t get to sleep until well after 3. The alarm going off at 6 this morning wasn’t very pleasant, but then it never is. Someone call my boss and tell him I’m not going to be worth shit today…

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Shortened version;<O:p</O:p

Older bar friend has a stroke, several worthless bastards do nothing, I called 911. He’s fine, but while taking care of the events, and helping in anyway I can, girlfriend gets hit on, not once but twice, in my absence. The Bar Buddy’s brother almost killed him. I still got laid, am very tired today…..<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Count Zarth
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I felt more tension in this thread than during the new Indiana Jones movie.

Skip Towne
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't blame the guy for not wanting the ER. The last time I went I got a bill for $7000 not counting $1000 for the ambulance and $900 for radiology.

Donger
05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
How stunningly unenthralling.

Phobia
05-23-2008, 09:03 AM
That's intense. I laughed, I cried, and then I wiped.

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
That's intense. I laughed, I cried, and then I wiped.

:LOL:

funny, I did all the same things last night.....:hmmm:

blueballs
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
she's right
your very insecure

Brock
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds like you're greatly respected.

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
she's right
your very insecure

She told you?
That F-in Bitch.
I'm killing your mom tonight....

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Sounds like you're greatly respected.

It's a pretty blue town, that's all I'm saying. This isn't the DC forum....

Hydrae
05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Wait, you were smoking indoors??? :eek:

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Wait, you were smoking indoors??? :eek:

for now anyway....

But seriously planet dudes. Would you have called 911 or just sat on your hands like the others were?

KCChiefsMan
05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
you did the right thing, the guy's brother and the other bar patrons sound like absolute idiots. I bet he is glad you were there.

Redrum_69
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
You should have only called 9-1-1 for those bastarrds hitting on your girl.

That guy who was coding should have coded right there at the bar and you should have posted it on youtube

KCChiefsMan
05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
You displayed a stroke of genious while others showed their true colors

Fish
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I would have tazed his ass and let him sleep it off in the drunk tank. Him and his brother.

Damn alcoholics and their "stroke symptom" attention whoring.......

Redrum_69
05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Did this occur at a stroke after midnight?

Redrum_69
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
It was a stroke of luck for the bar patron that you were there.

You gotta wonder if the guy had half a heart to send you a "thank you" card...

sedated
05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
this whole thing sounds like a sad attempt to make people think you have a hot girlfriend

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I would have tazed his ass and let him sleep it off in the drunk tank. Him and his brother.

Damn alcoholics and their "stroke symptom" attention whoring.......

alright a tazing reference, that's awesome! LMAO

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
It was a stroke of luck for the bar patron that you were there.
You gotta wonder if the guy had half a heart to send you a "thank you" card...

baadump bump....

this whole thing sounds like a sad attempt to make people think you have a hot girlfriend

that's what it is. Someone else on the board has seen a pic of her tittays
Actually the parts about her are secondary, she's worked there for five years so she knows the old guy more than I do. She had this distressed look on her face all night and when the guys started talking to her, she would look at me like, "get this a-hole away from me" so I obliged. She can take care of herself under normal conditions.

But I still don't understand why some of the other patrons didn't want to do anything.

Mr. Plow
05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I think it's funny seeing guys hit on the wife nearly right in front of me. She'll let them buy her a drink, talk to them for a minute, when it starts getting bad, she turns, points me out and says....

Her: "You see that guy over there?"
Dumbass: "Ya"
Her: "I'm f*cking him tonight, not you."

And on to the actual issue - yes, you did the right thing calling for help. I'm not sure that I would have known the signs, but you definitely did the right thing.

Demonpenz
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
EMT's doctors on the move baby!

Dartgod
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I think it's funny seeing guys hit on the wife nearly right in front of me. She'll let them buy her a drink, talk to them for a minute, when it starts getting bad, she turns, points me out and says....

Her: "You see that guy over there?"
Dumbass: "Ya"
Her: "I'm f*cking him tonight, not you."
LMAO

Fairplay
05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I like the shortened version better.:huh:

I thought they passed laws about smoking indoors?

Phobia
05-23-2008, 11:34 AM
All I really took from this story is that second hand smoke nearly killed a man. When he was moved outside to fresh air he made a miraculous recovery.

Skip Towne
05-23-2008, 11:39 AM
All I really took from this story is that second hand smoke nearly killed a man. When he was moved outside to fresh air he made a miraculous recovery.

I agree. Did you see what smoking did to Newphin's toe?

Phobia
05-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I agree. Did you see what smoking did to Newphin's toe?
That dude really needs his name changed to "NewlyRammed"

Chief Chief
05-23-2008, 11:45 AM
smokin' and strokin'...

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I like the shortened version better.:huh:

I thought they passed laws about smoking indoors?

I figured many would....
smoking laws are different state to state, and city by city (from what I know). I'm in St. Louis and many places still have smoking areas.