PDA

View Full Version : Music I've Been Looking For Something

FAX
05-24-2008, 02:34 PM
... that I can't find, so I'm hopeful you guys can direct me ...

I'm interested in finding a web site that has the stories behind rock and pop songs. You know, what the song is about, why it was written, etc. I've googled my ass off to no avail.

Anyone know of such a site? Thanks in advance for your assistance with this matter.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2008, 03:14 PM
http://www.behindtherock.com/meanings-of-rock-songs-for-fax.htm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU)

FAX
05-24-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.behindtherock.com/rock-pop-stories.htm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU)

Thanks for the help, Mr. Ari Chi3fs. I can no longer trust your links, however.

Can someone test that link for me?

FAX

Bowser
05-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the help, Mr. Ari Chi3fs. I can no longer trust your links, however.

Can someone test that link for me?

FAX

If it looks like shit and smells like shit, chances are that it's probably shit.

FAX
05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
If it looks like shit and smells like shit, chances are that it's probably shit.

LMAO

These are the days of Mr. Ari Chi3fs and his links of pain.

FAX

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2008, 04:57 PM
LMAO

These are the days of Mr. Ari Chi3fs and his links of pain.

FAX

Yeah, that was a bit obvious wasn't it! Damn me!! Damn me all to hell! To hell and back, I say!

Bowser
05-24-2008, 04:58 PM
They don't call him Teh Douch3 for nothing.

As to your question, the only site that I can think of off the top of my head is metal sludge. I think it has some behind the scenes stuff posted by fans.

Bowser
05-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that was a bit obvious wasn't it! Damn me!! Damn me all to hell! To hell and back, I say!

That was poor effort. You can do better. How about a Rick Roll ymtd?

FAX
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
So, is it metalsludge.com, Mr. Bowser?

I've been googling like there's no tomorrow (and giant, nuclearized, mutant, flesh eating fish have learned to walk on their genetically altered fin-feet and are now roaming the streets) with no luck whatsoever. It seems like there ought to be a place like that on the web. Maybe I'll start one.

FAX

Bowser
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
So, is it metalsludge.com, Mr. Bowser?

I've been googling like there's no tomorrow (and giant, nuclearized, mutant, flesh eating fish have learned to walk on their genetically altered fin-feet and are now roaming the streets) with no luck whatsoever. It seems like there ought to be a place like that on the web. Maybe I'll start one.

FAX

I believe so, Mr. Fax. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it could be a place to start. If that fails, it sounds like you may have a million dollar idea on your hands, if you can collect enough good info. I will be your gopher for 115,000 a year, if need be.

Nzoner
05-24-2008, 05:26 PM
The first thing that popped in my head was VH1's Behind The Music,don't know if it'll help but here's a link to all the episodes Mr Fax (http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/behind_the_music/episode_list.jhtml)

Bowser
05-24-2008, 05:29 PM
The first thing that popped in my head was VH1's Behind The Music,don't know if it'll help but here's a link to all the episodes Mr Fax (http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/behind_the_music/episode_list.jhtml)

Speaking of which, was it VH1 that aired the documentary "Heavy"? That was a great inside look at the history of metal.

FAX
05-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I believe so, Mr. Fax. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it could be a place to start. If that fails, it sounds like you may have a million dollar idea on your hands, if you can collect enough good info. I will be your gopher for 115,000 a year, if need be.

I'll check it out. Thanks, Mr. Bowser.

I'm just interested in the backstory on some tunes. Most of the sites I've run across are, basically, blogs where people write their own interpretations which are stupid, for the most part.

For example, I'd like to know the story behind the CSN&Y song, "Carry On". It's really two songs glommed together and I think the second part is a song that was originally written for Buffalo Springfield. Stuff like that.

FAX

FAX
05-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks, Mr. Nzoner. Appreciate it. I can trust this link, correct?

These guys might have some information. Actually, I had imagined that, by now, there would be a site specializing in this sort of information. I think it would be a heck of a draw for music lovers.

FAX

Nzoner
05-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Speaking of which, was it VH1 that aired the documentary "Heavy"? That was a great inside look at the history of metal.

Don't know I'm not a big metal fan.

Nzoner
05-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Mr. Nzoner. Appreciate it. I can trust this link, correct?

These guys might have some information. Actually, I had imagined that, by now, there would be a site specializing in this sort of information. I think it would be a heck of a draw for music lovers.

FAX

Yes,the link should be fine.

Bowser
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm just interested in the backstory on some tunes. Most of the sites I've run across are, basically, blogs where people write their own interpretations which are stupid, for the most part.

For example, I'd like to know the story behind the CSN&Y song, "Carry On". It's really two songs glommed together and I think the second part is a song that was originally written for Buffalo Springfield. Stuff like that.

FAX

Well, Mr. Fax, I went and checked out metalsludge.com. It would appear this is not the place you are looking for, but rather a place for all things hair metal. The good news, though, is that Rikki Rockett was cleared of rape charges (he's the drummer for Poison). I apologize for not being more help. I fail at life.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I fail at life.

Word. Barry Word.

FAX
05-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, Mr. Fax, I went and checked out metalsludge.com. It would appear this is not the place you are looking for, but rather a place for all things hair metal. The good news, though, is that Rikki Rockett was cleared of rape charges (he's the drummer for Poison). I apologize for not being more help. I fail at life.

No problem, Mr. Bowser. Thanks for trying to help. I do sincerely appreciate it.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I like the idea of putting together a site featuring background information on songs and recordings. (As if I need another project, right now.)

I'm going to look into it anyway. In the meantime, if anyone runs across such a site, please advise.

FAX

FAX
05-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Oh ... I figured that Rikki was innocent. If I recall the deal correctly, the supposed incident happened quite some time ago.

The fact is that, if I had a quarter for every time a sub-18-year-old was nailed by a rock star in a hotel after a gig, I could park a tour bus in downtown Nashville for 100 years.

FAX

"Bob" Dobbs
05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
FAX-

You may wanna try songfacts.com (http://songfacts.com) ... It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a start.

FAX
05-24-2008, 08:06 PM
FAX-

You may wanna try songfacts.com (http://songfacts.com) ... It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a start.

Thanks, Mr. SEKChiefsFan. Appreciate it.

Yeah ... that was one of the first ones I located during my first google burst. It appears to be sort of a bulletin board format where people can post their own ideas and thoughts about a particular song or artist. Some of the posts seem to be accurate, but many are not and/or are merely interpretive.

What I'm thinking about is something that's both factual and verifiable. It would require some research (quite a bit, actually), but I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

FAX

"Bob" Dobbs
05-24-2008, 08:07 PM
If such a site existed, I'd be all over it as well.

FAX
05-24-2008, 08:11 PM
If such a site existed, I'd be all over it as well.

I think a lot of people would, Mr. SEKChiefsFan. There are several potential resources that could be used for research including Billboard, Rolling Stone, and various interviews that have been conducted through the years.

It would be interesting to figure out how songwriters and artists might be able to participate and provide their own first-hand, authentic stories, as well.

FAX

Wa-Z
05-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I've used www.songfacts.com for quite some time. The way I look at it is I take what I can get about a song I want to research.

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I've used www.songfacts.com for quite some time. The way I look at it is I take what I can get about a song I want to research.

I totally understand, Mr. Wa-Z. I like their site. I've gone through a couple dozen songs over there so far. A lot of the comments are personal interpretations. What I'm looking for are true stories about inspiration, construction, and production. If that site isn't out there, I think the world needs one.

FAX

CosmicPal
05-24-2008, 09:18 PM
This is by far and away the best resource for the meanings behind every song. One of my favorite sites that I keep bookmarked. Type in the artist's name and it will list most, if not all of their songs and users provide their feedback.

http://www.songmeanings.net/

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:24 PM
This is by far and away the best resource for the meanings behind every song. One of my favorite sites that I keep bookmarked. Type in the artist's name and it will list most, if not all of their songs and users provide their feedback.

http://www.songmeanings.net/

Thanks for the assist, Mr. CosmicPal. I found that one, too.

It seems to be similar to the others - in that the users are responsible for the supporting information - although some of the comments I read were copied directly from liner notes, as well. It's a very cool idea, but I still think that a more historical, more accurate database would be well received. Don't you?

FAX

CosmicPal
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the assist, Mr. CosmicPal. I found that one, too.

It seems to be similar to the others - in that the users are responsible for the supporting information - although some of the comments I read were copied directly from liner notes, as well. It's a very cool idea, but I still think that a more historical, more accurate database would be well received. Don't you?

FAX

Yes, and I've been considering doing a blog on this very thing. I've been fishing this idea with a friend and he seems enthusiastic about it, but hasn't committed fully to the idea yet.

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, and I've been considering doing a blog on this very thing. I've been fishing this idea with a friend and he seems enthusiastic about it, but hasn't committed fully to the idea yet.

Well, if you're going to run with it, I'll back down.

I would be very interested in the concept. I honestly believe it could be successful if done correctly and well. Basically, I see it as a searchable database of facts relating to the creation (inspiration source) of songs as well as production anecdotes. So far, I haven't seen anything exactly like that and am convinced it would be a solid traffic generator. One heck of a research project, though.

FAX

CosmicPal
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
One heck of a research project, though.

FAX

Precisely...a fun research project at that. If my friend bows out and you're interested, I'd be happy to team up with you.

I'm also interested in exposing great artists and albums that for some reason or another, never made it big. Well, the primary reason would be they didn't have a hit single, we all know that. But, the sad thing is, most people are totally oblivious to some magical moments in rock history- great albums that never sold, great artists that never became a household name.

For instance, I was listening to this the other day. This is a phenomenal album for 1973. A great mix of classic rock blended with some amazing jazz fusion. One of my favorite albums, but nobody's ever heard of it. And that is a horrible shame. Brian Auger's Oblivion Express. A great, great album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516QQYJWC2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
That would be great, Mr. CosmicPal. Yes, I would be interested in the project. The idea of providing exposure for "unsuccessful" artists is also appealing - again, if done correctly. That area is a little more cluttered, though. There are a lot of outlets for invisible artists, I think.

Let me know what I can do to help. I happen to have programming and technical resources at my disposal. Plus, I know a couple of guys at Rolling Stone.

FAX

CosmicPal
05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Sounds great!

I'll certainly get back to you on this and we can discuss the parameters of what we both would like to accomplish. :thumb:

FAX
05-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds great!

I'll certainly get back to you on this and we can discuss the parameters of what we both would like to accomplish. :thumb:

Fair enough.

FAX

Ultra Peanut
05-24-2008, 11:13 PM
We are all looking for that special someone.

FAX
05-24-2008, 11:15 PM
We are all looking for that special someone.

How very true, Ms. Ultra Peanut.

Or, someone who reminds us of that special someone, at least. Remotely. After a few beers. With the lights off.

FAX

patteeu
05-25-2008, 12:14 PM

FAX

If you can't find the site you're looking for, I'm sure the collective brainpower of the Planet can help out. Just post a song and it's lyrics and someone here will surely be able to tell you what it's about and why it was written. Or take a good stab-in-the-dark guess at least. /TIC

BTW, this is only minimally helpful at best, but I know that Dexter of The Offspring has written some explanations of the whys and wherefores behind some of that band's songs on their official website.

mcan
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Your best bet would be to make a wiki style site. It would grow a a lot faster, and probably be more accurate than anything you could do as a blog.

FAX
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM
If you can't find the site you're looking for, I'm sure the collective brainpower of the Planet can help out. Just post a song and it's lyrics and someone here will surely be able to tell you what it's about and why it was written. Or take a good stab-in-the-dark guess at least. /TIC

BTW, this is only minimally helpful at best, but I know that Dexter of The Offspring has written some explanations of the whys and wherefores behind some of that band's songs on their official website.

The way I figure it, a lot of the anecdotes and historical information will be found in interviews, articles, liner notes, as well as some artist sites as you say, Mr. patteeu. The daunting aspect of the whole thing is the sheer volume of material - not to mention the research needed.

Still, you could start with a select number of artists and build from there.

FAX

FAX
05-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Your best bet would be to make a wiki style site. It would grow a a lot faster, and probably be more accurate than anything you could do as a blog.

I worry about mis-information being posted that would have to be corrected by somebody, Mr. mcan. Although you're right that it would grow much faster. One of the interesting facets of the project is the notion that artists and songwriters themselves might contribute.

FAX

"Bob" Dobbs
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
You'd almost HAVE to partner with somebody like Billboard. They're the only place I'm aware of that would already have a database of information about the artists that have at least charted. I'm thinking it's be an enormous job, certainly bigger than 4-5 people could do. JMO.

Also, Mr. FAX, have you tried researching individual songs on Wikipedia? It'll have entries for at least the popular stuff.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
for a quasi-random example of the info Wikipedia provides, see below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Gonna_Give_You_Up

aturnis
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
umm, www.songfacts.com

"Bob" Dobbs
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
umm, www.songfacts.com (http://www.songfacts.com)
See post #21 :p

mcan
05-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I worry about mis-information being posted that would have to be corrected by somebody, Mr. mcan. Although you're right that it would grow much faster. One of the interesting facets of the project is the notion that artists and songwriters themselves might contribute.

FAX

Hence the problem with that type of technology... I hear you. Although, I would think that having a wiki style site might be LESS vulnerable to that, since common stories about how songs are created are often false. It would not be hard to imagine a small group of guys mistakenly getting numerous songs wrong by accident. A world wide group of snobs would quickly remind you that "No, Hotel California is NOT about the Church of Satan."