PDA

View Full Version : Football Would you trade a 3rd Rd'er for Jason Taylor...

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:34 PM
as a stop gap DE to replace Jared Allen?

that keeps tamba on the left and boone in the middle

apparently miami has publicly said they are interested in trading him.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Bill Parcells says dancing Jason Taylor shouldn't quit day job

2 hours ago
Bill Parcells just doesn't get it.

He's mad at Jason Taylor, so mad that it's likely the best player on the woeful Miami Dolphins won't be a Dolphin much longer. So mad that he watched game film instead of watching Taylor in the finals of "Dancing With the Stars."
Not that he missed a lot. Kristi Yamaguchi had this one wrapped up from her opening tango.

Most of Taylor's teammates probably weren't watching, either. They were in bed early so they could be up early for practice the next day that was voluntary in name only.

Unlike Parcells, though, they probably got it.

They know that football careers can be short. They understand that partying with the stars and seeing yourself on the screen is just as satisfying as sacking the opposing quarterback.

That's why Terrell Owens was turning on every television set in his house the other day for his appearance on the sitcom "Under One Roof."

"I think I surprised a lot of people with my performance," T.O. said. "For me, I feel like I can act. That's what I want to do."

So does Taylor, who, fresh off his evening network debut jetted to New York for the morning talk shows, then back to Tinseltown for meetings with movie executives.

While his teammates sweated and Parcells stewed, Taylor was doing lunch in Beverly Hills and having his people call someone else's people to make him even bigger in movies than he is on the football field.

But he may think twice about quitting his day job, even if he can do a mambo and fox trot with the best of them.
The road to the Oscars is littered with the carcasses of former athletes who thought Hollywood would be theirs, as anyone who watched Shaquille O'Neal as the genie in "Kazaam" can certainly attest. Fellow big man Kareem Abdul-Jabbar fared better as the pilot in "Airplane," but at seven-foot-two it's hard not to be typecast.

The two centres were among the luckier basketball players, most of whom end up playing themselves in one-and-off movies like Michael Jordan and Patrick Ewing in "Space Jam" or Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Steve Nash in "Like Mike."
Athletes have been trying to break into Hollywood since English Channel conqueror Gertrude Ederle appeared in the silent film "Swim, Girl, Swim," in 1927. Ederle's 1924 Olympic teammate, Johnny Weissmuller, later became more famous for being Tarzan than anything he did in the water.

Taylor can take heart that at least some football players can carry their Screen Actors Guild cards without fear of embarrassment. Jim Brown announced his retirement at the same time he was filming the "Dirty Dozen." Merlin Olsen was a star in "Little House on the Prarie," and O.J. Simpson had a bit of a career before some other things got in his way.

Brian Bosworth was a forgettable flop on the field, although he did OK for himself in a series of films. And who can forget Alex Karras, who not only starred in "Webster" but appeared in numerous films, including "Blazing Saddles" where he played Mongo, the horse-slugging ogre with a surprisingly sensitive side.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life," a philosophical Mongo said.

Most of the time, though, it's best to leave the acting to real actors. Muhammad Ali had the most photogenic and recognizable face of his time, but his career in pictures didn't last long beyond his role as a slave in 1979's "Freedom Road."

Sometimes it works both ways. Will Smith played The Greatest in "Ali," but it turned out he wasn't so great at it.
And anyone who ever saw Sandy Koufax playing himself on "Mister Ed" or Don Drysdale teaching Greg Brady how to throw a pitch on the "Brady Bunch" will forever be grateful that the two never made it to the big screen in "Winning Shot," a film that starred David Janssen and also featured the likes of Carroll O'Connor and Joan Collins.
Like Taylor, the two were in a dispute with their team, holding out in 1966 for new contracts with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers had just won the World Series for the second time in three years, Koufax and Drysdale had won 49 games between them, and they decided to hold out together for three-year contracts worth US$500,000 each.
The Dodgers, of course, weren't about to pay such an exorbitant sum, even when Koufax and Drysdale said they would become actors. They were pictured in director's chairs on the set, and filming was to begin April 11, not coincidentally the day before opening day.

"Let's wish the boys well," general manager Buzzie Bavasi said. "They've been darn good Dodgers and we can't blame them if they can improve their future, even if it takes them out of baseball. There is no sense in negotiating further."
Fortunately for Dodger fans, Koufax and Drysdale realized their future was in baseball, not acting. On the eve of the season, Koufax signed a one-year contract for $125,000, Drysdale got $110,000, and the Dodgers went on to another World Series.

The money's a lot bigger now. But strained relations between teams and athletes haven't changed much.
Neither, though, has the acting ability of most athletes.

Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at tdahlbergap.org

John_Wayne
05-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, I'd give up a 3rd rounder for him. He's a good pass rusher and he can Tango too!

Deberg_1990
05-24-2008, 06:37 PM
No.

Its not that he cant play, or that he wouldnt help the team short term...

Its that his presense would serve no purpose. By the time the team will (hopefully) be good again, he would be on the downside of his career.

Signing Jason Taylor "stopgaps" is what the Chiefs had been doing during Carls entire time here. Why do we want to go that route again??

Sully
05-24-2008, 06:40 PM
You misspelled "Hell no, and go to hell for even asking."

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:41 PM

:harumph::harumph:

:LOL:

RJ
05-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Nope, no reason to. Acquiring Taylor would be inconsistent with every other major decision made this offseason. We've gone all in on rebuilding, might as well stick with it. We don't need no stinking stopgaps.

Adept Havelock
05-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Short, succinct, and it's got a catchy beat you can dance to.

I give this post a 9.7 out of 10. :thumb:

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:46 PM
No.

Its that his presense would serve no purpose. By the time the team will (hopefully) be good again, he would be on the downside of his career.

Signing Jason Taylor "stopgaps" is what the Chiefs had been doing during Carls entire time here. Why do we want to go that route again??
sure it would serve a purpose .... it would keep other guys in their natural position and also give a positive veteran presence along the Dline.

besides .... it might keep our suckage down to a minimum which would be helpful for morale.

this "stopgap" would be completely different then filling the entire roster with "stopgaps" like you talk about carl doing.

youth movement + stopgaps > all stopgaps

BigRock
05-24-2008, 06:48 PM
So does Taylor, who, fresh off his evening network debut jetted to New York for the morning talk shows, then back to Tinseltown for meetings with movie executives.

What is it about going on Dancing With The Stars that makes people think they can act?

Sully
05-24-2008, 06:49 PM
sure it would serve a purpose .... it would keep other guys in their natural position and also give a positive veteran presence along the Dline.

besides .... it might keep our suckage down to a minimum which would be helpful for morale.

this "stopgap" would be completely different then filling the entire roster with "stopgaps" like you talk about carl doing.

My personal opinion is that if we are going to suck... I don't want to keep it to a minimum. Let's be the best sucks in the history of suck. If it hurts a guy's attitude, then he doesn't belong here, anyway (Randy Moss type). If he gets pissed and decides to be a part of the solution, then it's a win (Derrick Brooks type player).

Deberg_1990
05-24-2008, 06:51 PM

Ive stated time and time again...

Rome wasnt built in a day. You cant expect to aquire all the pieces in one draft. Its a 2-3 years rebuild if done right.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Ive stated time and time again...

Rome wasnt built in a day. You cant expect to aquire all the pieces in one draft. Its a 2-3 years rebuild if done right.
and you didn't even comprehend a word i said ... did ya?

it can't be build in one day(year) ..... thus the "stopgap"

Bwana
05-24-2008, 06:54 PM
No.

Exactly

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
My personal opinion is that if we are going to suck... I don't want to keep it to a minimum. Let's be the best sucks in the history of suck. If it hurts a guy's attitude, then he doesn't belong here, anyway (Randy Moss type). If he gets pissed and decides to be a part of the solution, then it's a win (Derrick Brooks type player).
true .... but there is a breaking point imo

a point where your franchise becomes a joke and the suckiness begins to become an infestation.

it then becomes more than just a problem of talent ... and we really don't want that.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
it can't be build in one day(year) ..... thus the "stopgap"

and i answered you the first time. Whats the point of a stopgap?? This team isnt going anywhere in the near future.

A stopgap is for teams on the verge of playoff contention or someone who can hopefully put a team over the top.

We are not anywhere near that.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Exactly

your IQ just drop 50 points for agreeing with Deberg :huh:

btw signing a veteran to help the young guys isn't even remotely what Carl has been doing all these years.

not even in the same universe

FAX
05-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Were we close to making a run, I'd definitely consider it. But, as things stand now, I'd say no. Unless, of course, he comes with some of the Dolphin cheerleaders.

FAX

FAX
05-24-2008, 07:02 PM
... a point where your franchise becomes a joke and the suckiness begins to become an infestation. ...

A very legitimate concern, Mr. Laz. I've worried about that particular aspect ever since Herm began to demonstrate his true abilities.

Teams that fall too far can sometimes have a very difficult time breaking back in.

FAX

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Stick to the titty threads, Laz.

Valiant
05-24-2008, 07:22 PM
No, A 7th rounder tops..

Frazod
05-24-2008, 07:22 PM
If we were a year farther along in rebuilding, yes. But I really don't see the point in burning a draft pick when we've all pretty much written off 2008 as a probably painful yet hopefully productive growing year.

ChiefRon
05-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Worthless thread...he would refuse to play for us and would probably just retire...

milkman
05-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't mind signing a "stopgap" like you describe it Laz as a free agent, but in a rebuilding, you don't give away the future (3rd round pick) for a stopgap vet presense.

the Talking Can
05-24-2008, 08:34 PM
**** no

KCChiefsMan
05-24-2008, 08:57 PM
If we were a playoff contender, you bet your a$$ I would. But we aren't and trading for him would make no sense for us.

Basileus777
05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for him. He's got 2 years left, all he would do for us is take playing time from someone else.

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
... all he would do for us is take playing time from someone else.

Wise words, Mr. Basileus777.

FAX

blueballs
05-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Monday, January 1, 2007After Pro Bowl year, Taylor to consider retirement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

Taylor
DAVIE, Fla. -- Following his best season, Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor says he'll consider retirement at age 32.

Taylor scored twice on interceptions, had 13.5 sacks and is a contender for NFL defensive player of the year. But following Sunday's season-ending loss at Indianapolis, he said retirement is a possibility.

WOO WOO
I bet he'd love KC

"Yes, I will have to think about it, and there are no guarantees," Taylor said.

At 6-10, Miami failed to make the playoffs for the fifth year in a row.

Coach Nick Saban is hoping the offseason will rekindle Taylor's enthusiasm for the game.

"He plays and competes so hard, that guy is worn out right now," Saban said Monday. "We discussed it. He said, 'I just need to go get some rest and get my batteries charged.'"

stlchiefs
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Not a 3rd, but something a bit later, probably a 5th or later. It's not that anyone expects Taylor to turn the team around or even keep us from losing any games, but being a veteran Defensive Player of the Year and Pro Bowler Taylor could definitely teach the young guys a thing or two. Coaches can only teach so much, you also need a few guys who can lead by example, Taylor would be perfect for this role.

On the same note the Chiefs couldn't plug him in the spot and be content with him there for 2-3 seasons, but rather would have to rotate him consistently with the younger players being groomed. I'd liken his ideal role to that of a player/coach for our young team.

FAX
05-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Interesting points all around.

Also, isn't Taylor a bit of a whiner? It seems like he's always complaining about one thing or another. Perhaps not the kind of "leadership" our young team needs in the lockerroom?

Or maybe that's just the stuff that makes the news.

FAX

Chiefaholic
05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I prefer to use the 3rd rounder on a rookie who has the potential to help us for the long haul. If none of the rookies appear to pan out in camp and they'de drop their price to a 6th or 7th, then I'de consider.

stlchiefs
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Interesting points all around.

Also, isn't Taylor a bit of a whiner? It seems like he's always complaining about one thing or another. Perhaps not the kind of "leadership" our young team needs in the lockerroom?

Or maybe that's just the stuff that makes the news.

FAX

I'm not sure about that one Mr. Fax. If that is the case and Taylor is a whiner, you're right he's not the kind of leader the Chiefs need.

FAX
05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure about that one Mr. Fax. If that is the case and Taylor is a whiner, you're right he's not the kind of leader the Chiefs need.

I've just noticed that, in a lot of the articles about him, he seems to be complaining or making some kind of snide remark, Mr. stlchiefs. Like when Trent was brought to Miami, for example. He made a statement about TG going down with the first hit ... stuff like that.

Of course, he was right on about that one. Still, those aren't the kinds of things you want a player saying to the media, in my opinion.

FAX

stlchiefs
05-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I've just noticed that, in a lot of the articles about him, he seems to be complaining or making some kind of snide remark, Mr. stlchiefs. Like when Trent was brought to Miami, for example. He made a statement about TG going down with the first hit ... stuff like that.

Of course, he was right on about that one. Still, those aren't the kinds of things you want a player saying to the media, in my opinion.

FAX

It sounds as though he may be more of a soothsayer than a whiner :hmmm:. I do agree about the comments though, very questionable, especially about a player who was traded to be your new starting QB.

POND_OF_RED
05-25-2008, 04:58 AM
I'd give them a few bats.

Bwana
05-25-2008, 08:03 AM
your IQ just drop 50 points for agreeing with Deberg :huh:

btw signing a veteran to help the young guys isn't even remotely what Carl has been doing all these years.

not even in the same universe

Perhaps, but it would seem the same happened to 43 other people thus far. If we were close, I would say go for it, but we are not close to going to the big dance this year and we need the third round pick next year. JT would be nothing more thand a Band-aid at this point in time.

bsp4444
05-25-2008, 08:04 AM
and i answered you the first time. Whats the point of a stopgap?? This team isnt going anywhere in the near future.

A stopgap is for teams on the verge of playoff contention or someone who can hopefully put a team over the top.

We are not anywhere near that.

No, a stop gap is Damon Huard. Someone to man the post until your main guy is ready (it that happens).

bsp4444
05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
true .... but there is a breaking point imo

a point where your franchise becomes a joke and the suckiness begins to become an infestation.

it then becomes more than just a problem of talent ... and we really don't want that.

Yes, see Royals.

tmax63
05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
2 tees and a dozen footballs would be my top offer. If he's already thinking about retirement, as evidenced by statements at the end of last year, then he is short term in the league. Very few pull a Favre and talk about it for 5 years before doing it. Obviously he has had his fill of rebuilding with Miami and probably wouldn't talk to anyone but a probable contender. Give the playing time to the youngsters and see if one of them will be the next JT or JA. They don't come around very often but they do happen once in a while and without time on the field you never know.

DaKCMan AP
05-25-2008, 09:08 AM
No.

chief52
05-25-2008, 09:21 AM
If I had a team that was on the edge of the playoffs and needed a DE I would.

If I were the KC Chiefs I would not even consider it. No way in hell...

blueballs
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd rather trade a pick to St Louis
to get Medlock back

Short Leash Hootie
05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm indifferent...the addition of Jason Taylor, IMO, would give the Chiefs the potential to field a legit top 5 defense THIS year...assuming Flowers is an upgrade to Law and the two young safeties (plus Morgan) improve this season (which isn't out of the question)...

blueballs
05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
May 23, 2008 11:20 am

| Print Reports: Fins Offered Fourth-Round Pick For Taylor

MIAMI (CBS4.com) ― The Miami Dolphins have been offered a fourth-round pick for defensive end Jason Taylor, according to the Washington Post.

The Dolphins turned down the offer, but having played their hand in the ongoing dispute between Taylor and the team, the team seems to be running out of leverage for the former defensive player of the year. At least at the team's current asking price, which may be a pick in the first three rounds of next years draft.

The news of the offer comes just days after Dolphins head coach made the announcement that Taylor had informed the team he would not be taking part of off-season training activities.

"That's what we know. Jason is a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it....I'm not going to talk about another thing about Jason," Sparano said.

Taylor's contract is set to pay him a combined $16.5 million of the next two seasons, which means a team looking to trade for Taylor would have to restructure his current contract, offer him a new contract, or have quite a bit of cap space.

-good luck with that

el borracho
05-25-2008, 12:16 PM
If I could generalize the two biggest mistakes of Carl's career, it would be:

1. Poor decisions on head coaches
2. Trading draft picks for players

I hate trading draft picks for players, especially early picks; it is rarely worth it.

milkman
05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
If I could generalize the two biggest mistakes of Carl's career, it would be:

1. Poor decisions on head coaches
2. Trading draft picks for players

I hate trading draft picks for players, especially early picks; it is rarely worth it.

Let me add #3.

Giving up draft picks for Head Coaches.

Direckshun
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd be all over him as a free agent.

If I were the Chiefs, I'd pursue him hard core if he hits the open market, use some of that cap space you weren't using anyway to land Taylor for the next two years. Next year, draft one, maybe two stud DEs and let Taylor tutor them.

beach tribe
05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
There is absolutely 0 sense in trading draft picks for old players at this point. No.

Chiefaholic
05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Trading a 1st for Montana took us all the way to the AFC Championship. That's the only one that actually fits into the mold of "one guy short of playoff caliber". Roaf for a 3rd turned out to be a bargain for several quality years. And despite not advancing into the playoffs, Green turned the offense into a playoff caliber offense.

But, at this point and time, we're years away from being a legit playoff team. By the time the young players develop, Taylor will be too old and a strain to the salary cap (assuming there still is one).

chagrin
05-25-2008, 02:16 PM

amen

Mr. Flopnuts
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't TAKE a 3rd rounder and Jason Taylor. Not even for a box of footballs. He's not going to help us right now. Not at the price it'd cost to have a teacher on the team anyways.