PDA

View Full Version : Poop House training tips?

Dunit35
05-24-2008, 08:47 PM
So, the Husky I adopted has a problem with going to the bathroom in the house. Supposedly he was house trained. He can be outside for up to six hours and the minute he comes into the house he pees or poops. I keep him and the other husky in a kennel (probably 12x6) when I'm not home. My other husky is housetrained and will go to the bathroom in a corner in the kennel.

Here's my question. Maybe he won't go to the bathroom in the kennel because that where he hangs out? My father told me to put him on the chain outside the kennel for awhile when I get home. I put him on it for probably five minutes but it obviously didn't work. I don't like to leave my dogs outside all the time because it's really hot out for them.

Any tips? Losing my patience with him.

Dunit35

milkman
05-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Anti freeze.

Bill Parcells
05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Buy some hickory wood chips. place them on top of some newspapers (or wherever you want him to go in the house). get him used to coinciding that smell with going to the bathroom. then after you get him to do that, place those hickory chips in the backyard. he will start to go outside eventually without the chips. good luck.

Joie
05-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Leave him on the chain for about 30 minutes. You didn't give him time. I understand not wanting to leave him outside...definitely provide water for him while he is on the chain.

Otherwise...take him out after he eats and has had a little time (about 30-60 minutes), as soon as you wake up, right before you go to bed, and every few hours otherwise. That's how my mom trained our "untrainable" poodle when I was a kid.

Saulbadguy
05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Next time it goes in the house, beat it to within an inch of its life. It will get the idea.

Dunit35
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Leave him on the chain for about 30 minutes. You didn't give him time. I understand not wanting to leave him outside...definitely provide water for him while he is on the chain.

Otherwise...take him out after he eats and has had a little time (about 30-60 minutes), as soon as you wake up, right before you go to bed, and every few hours otherwise. That's how my mom trained our "untrainable" poodle when I was a kid.

Sounds good. I figured if I left him out there longer he may have went. You think he won't go to the bathroom in the kennel because that's where he hangs out?

Coach
05-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds good. I figured if I left him out there longer he may have went. You think he won't go to the bathroom in the kennel because that's where he hangs out?

Well, it's like it's his hanging out spot. Let's assume you are him. I doubt that you would want to hang around with a shit infested area now, would you?

See my drift?

RJ
05-24-2008, 10:57 PM
He thinks the 12x6 kennel is his den. He won't "go" in there. Let him spend more time outside but not in the kennel.

RJ
05-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, it's like it's his hanging out spot. Let's assume you are him. I doubt that you would want to hang around with a shit infested area now, would you?

See my drift?

Exactly my point. Dogs don't crap in their den, they go outside.

A kennel crate for inside the house would also be helpful.

Dunit35
05-24-2008, 11:00 PM

See my drift?

Yeah, guess it doesn't bother my other husky. I clean it out a couple times a week.

Joie
05-24-2008, 11:01 PM

Absolutely. And if not given enough time to go outside of the kennel he feels he has no choice but to go in the house. When you gotta go...

Joie
05-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, guess it doesn't bother my other husky. I clean it out a couple times a week.

Sounds like he's staked out a "bathroom" area. The new guy may not like that.

blueballs
05-25-2008, 01:06 AM
If you leave him outside
he will have to go sooner or later

btlook1
05-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Exactly my point. Dogs don't crap in their den, they go outside.

A kennel crate for inside the house would also be helpful.

Yes use a kennel inside the house...put him in it soon as you let him out put him outside till he goes! It's called crate training and it works trust me I have 5 labs that are all house trained using this method! Not that all 5 are in the house but they can be in with no accidents for hours at a time! Good luck!

tmax63
05-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Train yourself first. Determine the dog's schedule and when he goes (10,20,45 minutes after eating etc). Then train yourself to take him out at those times. Don't let yourself be lazy and skip or you will have to start all over again. Once you get him to associate outside with potty break then you can flex the times a little.

Hog Farmer
05-25-2008, 08:21 AM
There are several proven methods to put a stop to in house defecation.

1) Use of a shock collar. This is one of my favs. You not only get him to understand that crapping in the house is bad but you can also have lots of fun.

2) The steel toe boot method. When you catch him taking a squat you insert to end of your steel toe boot in his ass.

3) The fecal feedback method. When you find that large terd over in the corner of the living room you promptly take your dog over to the terd and place it in his mouth. Take your hands and work his jaws up and down in a chewing motion untill he is able to swallow it. Then throw him outside. Ya gotta get his attention.

4) The jalapeno injection method. You'll need to wear a glove for this one. Promptly take him over to his pile of shit, push hi s face into it and smear it all over. Then have a fresh jalapeno pepper ready that has been split open enough to expose the seeds. Gently insert the jalapeno into his rectum using the gloved hand. Then throw him outside.

5) The big bang method. If the previous methods don't work this would be the last resort. Dig a hole about 3 to 4 foot deep. Put dog in hole. Shoot with gun. I usually just start with this method anyway because I don't like to waste jalapenos on animals.

Silock
05-25-2008, 09:47 PM
The biggest thing is that you need more patience. Take him on a walk. When he does his business outside on the walk, give him a treat. Don't give him any negative reinforcement for going in the house unless you catch him in the act. Otherwise, it won't have the desired effect. Take him out more often.

Then there's another method. It basically involves you tying him to you whenever you're in the house. That way, you'll learn more quickly the signals he gives when he needs to go and you can head it off and take him outside.

Good luck.

Saulbadguy
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
There are several proven methods to put a stop to in house defecation.

1) Use of a shock collar. This is one of my favs. You not only get him to understand that crapping in the house is bad but you can also have lots of fun.

2) The steel toe boot method. When you catch him taking a squat you insert to end of your steel toe boot in his ass.

3) The fecal feedback method. When you find that large terd over in the corner of the living room you promptly take your dog over to the terd and place it in his mouth. Take your hands and work his jaws up and down in a chewing motion untill he is able to swallow it. Then throw him outside. Ya gotta get his attention.

4) The jalapeno injection method. You'll need to wear a glove for this one. Promptly take him over to his pile of shit, push hi s face into it and smear it all over. Then have a fresh jalapeno pepper ready that has been split open enough to expose the seeds. Gently insert the jalapeno into his rectum using the gloved hand. Then throw him outside.

5) The big bang method. If the previous methods don't work this would be the last resort. Dig a hole about 3 to 4 foot deep. Put dog in hole. Shoot with gun. I usually just start with this method anyway because I don't like to waste jalapenos on animals.

LOL