PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Neighbors foreclosed upon

Guru
05-25-2008, 09:59 AM
and now it has been two months since they were removed from the house. the grass in the front was not growing much but is getting out of hand now. Their backyard looks like a damn jungle.

Who is responsible for taking care of the damn place when the owners are kicked out?

Shouldn't the bank pay to have someone mow the lawn occasionally?

any real estate guys/gals out there that know how this is dealt with?

Frazod
05-25-2008, 10:06 AM
and now it has been two months since they were removed from the house. the grass in the front was not growing much but is getting out of hand now. Their backyard looks like a damn jungle.

Who is responsible for taking care of the damn place when the owners are kicked out?

You should probably check your local ordinances. Ultimately, the property owner should be responsible, but enforcement will vary depend on local authorities.

Bowser
05-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Have bunnytrdr drop off a goat there.

Guru
05-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Already reported the lack of lawn care to the city on the Lawn Complaints phone number but that was 2 weeks ago. I think they just send a notice in the mail to the house and call it done.

That won't work I don't think.

I have had one person tell me I would have to bite the bullet and mow it myself but I really think that is just fugged up. Why should I have to do the banks job for them if they are going to kick the owners out?

DaFace
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
You should probably check your local ordinances. Ultimately, the property owner should be responsible, but enforcement will vary depend on local authorities.

Yep. You can't do anything (other than doing it yourself) unless it's in violation of some rule. It'd probably take you less effort to just do it yourself than to get someone else to actually take care of it.

Maybe you could convince some of your other neighbors to help out on a rotating basis.

Brock
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
They're in violation of city ordinance (whoever owns the property now). It's probably a corporation, so the city won't really care.

Rain Man
05-25-2008, 10:11 AM
If it gets tall enough, most cities will mow it and bill the owner. However, I think it has to be pretty tall.

We've got five rentals on our block, and you can easily identify four of them because they're the ones that have horrible yards. A few of the owners have pondered starving them out by taking down their "For Rent" signs when they go vacant. Why do people not take care of their stuff?

One of the rentals is for sale, and the weeds are over six inches high now, kind of like your place. Morons. How much is that costing them in sale price?

Joie
05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Spray some Antifreeze on it.

stlchiefs
05-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Already reported the lack of lawn care to the city on the Lawn Complaints phone number but that was 2 weeks ago. I think they just send a notice in the mail to the house and call it done.

I have had one person tell me I would have to bite the bullet and mow it myself but I really think that is just fugged up. Why should I have to do the banks job for them if they are going to kick the owners out?

Talk to Donger and get a copy of your HOA bylaws.

Seriously though, if you have a HOA (which I'm assuming not if it has gotten to this point contact them first). Try to find out who owns the house now (what bank) and contact them about the problem. I have read a few articles that state that many times neighbors are having to pitch in and mow these lawns to keep the neighborhood in good shape.

Adept Havelock
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
It could be worse. At least they aren't sitting in Lawn Chairs in their garage.

Joie
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
It could be worse. At least they aren't sitting in Lawn Chairs in their garage.

They could be. Lawn's too high to tell.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 10:18 AM

As far as mowing it yourself goes, well, that's exactly what the pricks at the bank are counting on. It might even establish precedent if the city tries to force them to mow later. I know it's an infuriating eye sore, but unless I had my house on the market and needed the neighborhood to look good, I would not give them that satisfaction. Seek legal remedies.

Of course, there are some people who ENJOY mowing yards. My uncle in Lee's Summit criss-cross mows his yard like a baseball field, and if the neighbors' yards near him get too high, he'll just take it upon himself to mow them. Nobody seems to mind, and it certainly keeps him fit. If you've got somebody like that in your neighborhood, you may not need to worry about it at all.

Mr. Plow
05-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I know here in Hutch that - even an occupied home - if the grass gets too tall, the city will come mow it and then bill the owner. Something $150 to mow even a small yard. The downside to this, it is usually months - like 3-5 - before the city will do it.

A neighbor at my old house went probably 5 months without mowing. Damn thing was waist high. City came, mowed it, and billed her something like $275 for a one time mowing.

Mr. Plow
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
As far as mowing it yourself goes, well, that's exactly what the pricks at the bank are counting on. It might even establish precedent if the city tries to force them to mow later. I know it's an infuriating eye sore, but unless I had my house on the market and needed the neighborhood to look good, I would not give them that satisfaction. Seek legal remedies.

Of course, there are some people who ENJOY mowing yards. My uncle in Lee's Summit criss-cross mows his yard like a baseball field, and if the neighbors' yards near him get too high, he'll just take it upon himself to mow them. Nobody seems to mind, and it certainly keeps him fit. If you've got somebody like that in your neighborhood, you may not need to worry about it at all.

I know it's a trip, but send your uncle down to my house every Monday evening please.

Joie
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I know here in Hutch that - even an occupied home - if the grass gets too tall, the city will come mow it and then bill the owner. Something $150 to mow even a small yard. The downside to this, it is usually months - like 3-5 - before the city will do it.

A neighbor at my old house went probably 5 months without mowing. Damn thing was waist high. City came, mowed it, and billed her something like $275 for a one time mowing.

So the city goes around in September and mows all the lawns that are too high?

Hmm...wonder if this is how they get the money to salt the streets during snowstorms.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I know it's a trip, but send your uncle down to my house every Monday evening please.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll get right on that. :D

Mr. Plow
05-25-2008, 10:29 AM
So the city goes around in September and mows all the lawns that are too high?

Hmm...wonder if this is how they get the money to salt the streets during snowstorms.

I think there have to be "reports" filed on the house. I don't know for sure how it works. Just know that the lady next door was pissed off when she got the bill. Complained to everyone in the neighborhood.

Joie
05-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I think there have to be "reports" filed on the house. I don't know for sure how it works. Just know that the lady next door was pissed off when she got the bill. Complained to everyone in the neighborhood.

I'm sure everyone was very sympathetic. Especially those who had lost small children and pets in her yard.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Also, if the bank in question is local, you could always mow the yard with a bagging mower and dump the contents in front of their main entrance.

Or you could simply try discussing it with the bank manager.

But what fun would that be? :)

blueballs
05-25-2008, 11:02 AM
mow the yard and send a reasonable bill to the bank
work it to your advantage

Valiant
05-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Mow it and bill the bank..

Bugeater
05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Mow it yourself and then spray the entire yard with RoundUp. That should take care of it for the summer.

MTG#10
05-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Mow it and bill the bank..
And if they dont pay put a lien on the house.

dj56dt58
05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
gasoline.matches.done

blueballs
05-25-2008, 11:18 AM
of course they could charge you with trespassing

jidar
05-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Why the **** does everyone care about other peoples lawns so god damned much? Get the **** over it.

ps, in before "jidar doesn't mow his lawn". I pay a lawn service.

Brock
05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Why the **** does everyone care about other peoples lawns so god damned much? Get the **** over it.

You wouldn't mind living next to a lot with waist-high weeds? Sure.

blueballs
05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
does the gardner have nice abs

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2008, 11:22 AM
If they don't mow, you better contact the HOA. They are probably in violation of some ordinance. I would kick them out of their house for it.

Bugeater
05-25-2008, 11:23 AM

It's not like he's complaining that it's not lush and green enough.

jidar
05-25-2008, 11:23 AM
You wouldn't mind living next to a lot with waist-high weeds? Sure.

meh, maybe some minor annoyance. It's not my lawn though so **** it, doesn't really bother me.

blueballs
05-25-2008, 11:27 AM
:evil:
http://www.topeka.org/whatsnew/signs.pdf
FAX # to send pics

Gonzo
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Let it keep growing. Then Bwana and I can put up some tree stands and do a little deer hunting.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Because a bunch of homeowners paying huge mortgage payments don't want one lot making their neighborhood look like a goddamn ghetto. That's why.

Groves
05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Just mow a little maze or path through it. The kids will love it.

chiefforlife
05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Because a bunch of homeowners paying huge mortgage payments don't want one lot making their neighborhood look like a goddamn ghetto. That's why.

Exactly!
I have lived in my current home for 7 years now. My neighbor to the north, STILL hasnt put in a back yard. 5 of my windows look directly into his backyard, it really pisses me off. Every time I make a payment to my HOA, I get so mad.
The neighborhood has gone down hill with people moving out and either renting the home out or leaving it unoccupied. I pay the HOA to keep my property value up, they dont, but I still have to pay them!!!

Bwana
05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Spray some Antifreeze on it.

Close, I would hit ti with with Roundup. :evil:

Demonpenz
05-25-2008, 12:54 PM
i have been kicked out of a couple of places who cares. I will piss on it and leave my papst there

Bwana
05-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Let it keep growing. Then Bwana and I can put up some tree stands and do a little deer hunting.

You know, that's not a half bad idea right there. :hmmm:

POND_OF_RED
05-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I have a similar problem with my neighbor except he actually still lives there I believe. Hasn't mowed all year and his pool in the back has turned into a swamp area for frogs. Some random guy came by the other day and offered me $100 to call him if I ever see him outside because he owes some bank a lot of money. I don't care much about the lawn but I wish he'd let me clean the pool and use it every now and then.

Guru
05-25-2008, 01:38 PM
As soon as I find out what bank is handling the property, I may just put a sign in the yard stating...

This shitty lawn courtesy of _________ financial institution. Please call 1-800-SHITRUS for your input.

Guru
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Mow it yourself and then spray the entire yard with RoundUp. That should take care of it for the summer.
Now that is tempting. Probably get sued because some nosey neighbor would turn me in though.

Mr. Plow
05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Now that is tempting. Probably get sued because some nosey neighbor would turn me in though.

Then, you do the same thing to their lawn while they are on vacation. I mean, really, you only have so many neighbors. Sooner or later, they'll stop reporting you.

Joie
05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Shoot bottle rockets at it on the 4th of July. See how many it takes before the fire deparment gets involved.

Guru
05-25-2008, 01:51 PM

If it wasn't getting nearly two feet high I wouldn't even care. The longer others wait to mow the longer I can wait. This is just plain ass ugly though.

Bugeater
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Shoot bottle rockets at it on the 4th of July. See how many it takes before the fire deparment gets involved.

Isn't Kansas one of those Communist states that doesn't allow fireworks?

Joie
05-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Yes, and so is my homestate of Iowa. However both border the extremely fireworks liberal Missouri, so it isn't much of a problem. ;)

Bugeater
05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes, and so is my homestate of Iowa. However both border the extremely fireworks liberal Missouri, so it isn't much of a problem. ;)
Nebraska isn't far behind anymore, there's only a handful of items that are legal in MO that aren't legal here.

Stewie
05-25-2008, 02:31 PM

That's decided by city. I can buy all the fireworks I want in Kansas.

88TG88
05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
In my old neighborhood our neighbors also left their house abandoned. These crackheads started squatting there for a couple of months right after that. They would fight every other night, probably about who got the last hit of blow.

Bwana
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
In my old neighborhood our neighbors also left they're house abandoned. These crackheads started squatting there for a couple of months right after that. They would fight every other night, probably about who got the last hit of blow.

Yeah, nothing like have a bunch of useless meth monkeys in the area. Break out the bird bombs!!

Thanks God the landlord across the alley sold the house. No rentals in the zone any more.

Guru
05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
In my old neighborhood our neighbors also left they're house abandoned. These crackheads started squatting there for a couple of months right after that. They would fight every other night, probably about who got the last hit of blow.
Well, crap!!! That doesn't leave me with pleasant thoughts.

Bwana
05-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, crap!!! That doesn't leave me with pleasant thoughts.

heh

blueballs
05-25-2008, 03:49 PM

possums coons rats
snakes field mice

Braincase
05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Make your own lawn sign "Free Crackhouse!"

Bank will take care of it then.

Guru
05-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Make your own lawn sign "Free Crackhouse!"

Bank will take care of it then.

No way in hell I am doing that. But that is funny as hell though.:LOL:

The pool in its back yard is black as shit too. Going to be a mosquito breeding ground.

Surely there are health issues here I could touch on.

Brock
05-25-2008, 04:29 PM

The pool in its back yard is black as shit too. Going to be a mosquito breeding ground.

That is a health nuisance and a safety hazard. I'd appear at the city council meeting if necessary.

Bugeater
05-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Uhhh...yeah the pool is a huge issue, a call to the health dept may be a good idea. If it's one of those inflatable POSs I'd go over and slash the damn thing. And I'm not sure what the laws are down in the Teh Puke, but here it's a city ordinance to have a six foot high fence with locked gates on any yard with pool in it.

stumppy
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Mow the yard, clean the pool out and start having parties over there on the weekends.

Guru
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Uhhh...yeah the pool is a huge issue, a call to the health dept may be a good idea. If it's one of those inflatable POSs I'd go over and slash the damn thing. And I'm not sure what the laws are down in the Teh Puke, but here it's a city ordinance to have a six foot high fence with locked gates on any yard with pool in it.

It's an in ground pool. It does have a completely enclosed yard with six foot fence as well. The only thing in question is the water itself.

Stinger
05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
You could always move to Canton Ohio

Canton: New law threatens jail time for not mowing the lawn (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=90053&catid=3)

CANTON -- The city of Canton is being overwhelmed by a literally growing problem -- property owners who won't use a lawnmower.

The city now cuts grass and weeds on more than 2,000 thousand privately-owned lots at a cost of a quarter million dollars a year.

Foreclosures are a big part of the problem. But most of the lots are owned by Canton residents.

Health Department officials are worried about creating hiding places for rats and breeding grounds for ticks.

Council is expected to pass a law Monday that could carry jail time for a second offense. Repeat offenders could face a $250 fine and 30 days in jail.

City leaders promise this law won't be used on senior or sickly property owners.

"This law is for that person that's healthy, alive and irresponsible," said Environmental Health Director Mark Adams.

Councilman Greg Hawk said, "We don't want to be in the lawnmowing businesses. We're looking for the repeat offender we're providing cheap lawn maintenance for."

When a newspaper story about this got posted on the Drudge report website, it brought dozens of outraged e-mails from around the country calling it government overkill.

"Sounds like Russia to me," said one.

Another said ,"Where do they find these Hitlerian morons."

But most Canton residents we asked said jail time was not too stiff a penalty for uncooperative property owners.

Jack Harris said, "I have no complaint with that. This brings down property values."

Fletcher Pierce said, "Most people try to keep their property up. Some people don't care. Something should be done. It's a blight on the neighborhood."

Councilman Hawk claims publicity about the law has already prompted property owners to bring out the mowers.

Resident Robert Posey repairs lawnmowers and hopes to make money off the lawn law. A big sign in his front yard says, "Will Cut Grass."
© 2008 WKYC-TV

BWillie
05-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Why do you guys care so much if your neighbor doesn't mow their grass or not? It's not your property. I always hear my parents complain about these guys that rent a house a couple houses a way. They always complain that they don't upkeep their lawn very often, they don't park their cars in the garage because it's full of stuff, bla bla bla. Why is it your business? I bet our neighbors hate us in our neighborhood lol

Al Bundy
05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Why do you guys care so much if your neighbor doesn't mow their grass or not? It's not your property. I always hear my parents complain about these guys that rent a house a couple houses a way. They always complain that they don't upkeep their lawn very often, they don't park their cars in the garage because it's full of stuff, bla bla bla. Why is it your business? I bet our neighbors hate us in our neighborhood lol

Easy.... it is our business when it affects our property value.

Guru
05-25-2008, 05:23 PM

I generally don't care, but when their lawn is 2 feet high and the house is in foreclosure then I give a shit because nobody is taking care of shit and I don't need the extra rodents in my area.

BWillie
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM

So what, you can say that about alot of things. Unless you belong to a homeowners association I think it's stupid that the city should be able to tell you to shovel your driveway or cut your grass when it gets a certain length.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 05:27 PM

See Post 34.

It amazes me that people actually ask this question. :shake:

Guru
05-25-2008, 05:30 PM
See Post 34.

It amazes me that people actually ask this question. :shake:

Probably the ones that are guilty of it.

Frazod
05-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Probably the ones that are guilty of it.

Exactly.

Joie
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
So what, you can say that about alot of things. Unless you belong to a homeowners association I think it's stupid that the city should be able to tell you to shovel your driveway or cut your grass when it gets a certain length.

I tend to agree that the city needs to stay out of private business....but it's not like Guru is asking the city to impose a new law saying lawns need to be between 2 3/4 and 3 1/4 inches long. He wants something done with the neighborhood mosquito pit, which also breeds mice and snakes. I don't blame him. It needs to be taken care of before he has to buy cases of Off, mousetraps and foot an ER bill because one of his kids wandered over there and got bit.

dj56dt58
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I can see why people would care but if you own a house(obviously these people were kicked out), but if you own your home imo you should be able to do whatever you want with it..Its yours. Its like me not liking the color of your car so I go paint it

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
It's an in ground pool. It does have a completely enclosed yard with six foot fence as well. The only thing in question is the water itself.

Have you talked to the owner about cleaning it up in exchange for the use of it? I'd jump on that if I was the owner. (visions of hot chicks coming to my house to swim)

Guru
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Have you talked to the owner about cleaning it up in exchange for the use of it? I'd jump on that if I was the owner. (visions of hot chicks coming to my house to swim)

There are no owners. Thats the problem.

Joie
05-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I can see why people would care but if you own a house(obviously these people were kicked out), but if you own your home imo you should be able to do whatever you want with it..Its yours. Its like me not liking the color of your car so I go paint it

It's more like you not liking that 14 cars that are broken down in the lawn, driveway and street surrounding the house.

alanm
05-25-2008, 05:57 PM
And if they dont pay put a lien on the house.
Now THAT would be poetic justice. :thumb:

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Now THAT would be poetic justice. :thumb:

And probably legal.

alanm
05-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Look at it this way.. if your property value goes down so does your taxes.
Sorry, just being a smart ass. :)

Demonpenz
05-25-2008, 06:02 PM
i get the waiver all the time from the city or whoever that my grass is too long. heh. I throw it over my fence and litter the paper. Good job city

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 06:03 PM
There are no owners. Thats the problem.

I was thinking of Sea_of_Red's situation.

Guru
05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
i get the waiver all the time from the city or whoever that my grass is too long. heh. I throw it over my fence and litter the paper. Good job city
As long as it looks decently kept, the city can butt out of it.

dj56dt58
05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
It's more like you not liking that 14 cars that are broken down in the lawn, driveway and street surrounding the house.

hey..it would just make my lawn and driveway look better...

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
hey..it would just make my lawn and driveway look better...

That's probably right.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
from Topeka.org

"Weed Abatement Code
From May to October, PCE conducts the weed abatement program. If weeds or grass grows higher than 12 inches, a notice is sent to the property owner who has 7 calendar days from the date of the notice to cut the vegetation. Only one notice is sent and if the vegetation exceeds 12 inches during the season, the City cuts it without further notice. "

Guru
05-25-2008, 08:01 PM
from Topeka.org

"Weed Abatement Code
From May to October, PCE conducts the weed abatement program. If weeds or grass grows higher than 12 inches, a notice is sent to the property owner who has 7 calendar days from the date of the notice to cut the vegetation. Only one notice is sent and if the vegetation exceeds 12 inches during the season, the City cuts it without further notice. "

Cool, then my call may actually accomplish something. Guess if nothing has happened by the end of this week, i will call again.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-25-2008, 08:03 PM
as far as the pool, go buy a bucket of chloirine tablets and chuck half a dozen in there....that should help kill off any skeeters.

Guru
05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
as far as the pool, go buy a bucket of chloirine tablets and chuck half a dozen in there....that should help kill off any skeeters.

Does it do any damage I could be held accountable for?

mikeyis4dcats.
05-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Does it do any damage I could be held accountable for?

oh, if it had a rubber liner it could, but I doubt it'd do anything to a concrete in-ground. Just do it under cover of darkness and disavow all knowledge.

Guru
05-25-2008, 08:25 PM
oh, if it had a rubber liner it could, but I doubt it'd do anything to a concrete in-ground. Just do it under cover of darkness and disavow all knowledge.

Yeah, I don't think our CSI's are that well equipped anyway.

Mosbonian
05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow...I can't believe I actually read that some of you don't care what your house or yard looks like. It would be easy to assume that you are either renters and want no responsibility or are just people who are too lazy to keep your house to minimum health standards.

I bought a beautiful home here in a lakefront community in Georgetown KY that has an HOA. My builder owned the lot next to me, and once we closed on my house, he started on a home on the lot. He finished it 2 months ago, and now it is sitting with a trash pile in the front yard, and a bigger trash pile in the back yard. Additionally he hasn't cut the grass yet this year and it it now 4 ft tall in the very back of the yard.

So, what have I done? Except for the very back I have been mowing the yard and sending him a bill. I will be filing a lien on the house, per the HOA rules and County ordinance, so when he sells he will get the lovely shock of what to this point has been an accrued $500 mowing bill. Each time I mow from this point I will be charging him $150.00

The only part I have not had interpreted for me is if the house goes back to the bank, whether or not my lien will be voided.

mmaddog

Guru
05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Wow...I can't believe I actually read that some of you don't care what your house or yard looks like. It would be easy to assume that you are either renters and want no responsibility or are just people who are too lazy to keep your house to minimum health standards.

I bought a beautiful home here in a lakefront community in Georgetown KY that has an HOA. My builder owned the lot next to me, and once we closed on my house, he started on a home on the lot. He finished it 2 months ago, and now it is sitting with a trash pile in the front yard, and a bigger trash pile in the back yard. Additionally he hasn't cut the grass yet this year and it it now 4 ft tall in the very back of the yard.

So, what have I done? Except for the very back I have been mowing the yard and sending him a bill. I will be filing a lien on the house, per the HOA rules and County ordinance, so when he sells he will get the lovely shock of what to this point has been an accrued $500 mowing bill. Each time I mow from this point I will be charging him $150.00

The only part I have not had interpreted for me is if the house goes back to the bank, whether or not my lien will be voided.

mmaddog
My hero!!!!

CrazyPhuD
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
You need a silent mower so that one night you can go out and mow crop circles in the yard! :)

blueballs
05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
After watching that piece on 60 minutes
you might not be able to find out who now ownes it
they had a realtor in Cal that couldn't figure out who owns what repos

Groves
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM

not likely. Just put some sort of oil in the pool. cooking oil or whatever. It will form a film on top that will suffocate all the larvae.

TEX
05-26-2008, 08:17 AM

mmaddog

Be careful. You certainly can file a lean, but there is a good chance that you might not be abe to recover the $150 fee every time you mow, unless that fee or some guidelines for accessing it are specified. Some have a ceiling for total charges as well as a limit for services. Any overage, and you pay it.

TEX
05-26-2008, 08:27 AM

:clap:

It's amazing how some don't understand this...

Mosbonian
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Be careful. You certainly can file a lean, but there is a good chance that you might not be abe to recover the $150 fee every time you mow, unless that fee or some guidelines for accessing it are specified. Some have a ceiling for total charges as well as a limit for services. Any overage, and you pay it.

There are guidelines for the lien and filing it. Also, my fee is much less that what the county and HOA charges. I have tried to follow the guidelines and stayed below so that I don't look like I am gouging.

mmaddog

Bwana
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
There are guidelines for the lien and filing it. Also, my fee is much less that what the county and HOA charges. I have tried to follow the guidelines and stayed below so that I don't look like I am gouging.

mmaddog

Otstanding! This warms my heart to the core. Rep

Bwana
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Awww, this explains your reply. You have never owned a home and had the experience of having some lazy scum bag lowlife neighbor that refuses to keep their property up to a decent standard. It's not only an eye sore, but it drops the value of the other houses in the neighborhood. It boils down to respect, not only for ones self, but the people around you. I'm not saying every house in any given neighborhood needs to look like it belongs on the cover of Better Homes And Garden, but if someone lets their place go to hell to the point where it looks like a garbage dump, there is an issue.

Chief Roundup
05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I use to work for a large rental place. They would send a letter to us when one of the properties needed mowed. We generally had 10 days to get it taken care of.

Other things I could think of to try though would be to call up the bank or realty company and tell them that you drove by the residence but that the yard was in horrible disarray and that it probably cost them a sale or rental.

Mosbonian
05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Awww, this explains your reply. You have never owned a home and had the experience of having some lazy scum bag lowlife neighbor that refuses to keep their property up to a decent standard. It's not only an eye sore, but it drops the value of the other houses in the neighborhood. It boils down to respect, not only for ones self, but the people around you. I'm not saying every house in any given neighborhood needs to look like it belongs on the cover of Better Homes And Garden, but if someone lets their place go to hell to the point where it looks like a garbage dump, there is an issue.

You said it best....:clap::clap:

mmaddog

Hydrae
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
After watching that piece on 60 minutes
you might not be able to find out who now ownes it
they had a realtor in Cal that couldn't figure out who owns what repos

It sure is a good thing we all get to pay for a title search before signing papers, huh?

Frazod
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM

When he starts spending half his income on his home instead of spending half his income on beer, he'll get it.

NewChief
05-26-2008, 12:24 PM

Same thing happened to my mother-in-law in Bella Vista. We just returned from a weekend there. Her neighbors place is insanely overgrown, now. It's a shame, because it was beautiful at one time. Coincidentally, there was an article in our paper about this very thing today.

NewChief
05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Here's the article:
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/226888/print/
SPRINGDALE — Northwest Arkansas’ code officers are struggling to keep the grass cut at empty houses that are cluttering neighborhoods during the downturn in home sales and rash of foreclosures.

Complete but vacant dwellings, in addition to unfinished houses, blemish otherwise occupied subdivisions in Benton and Washington counties. In many cases, nettle has grown waist deep, and weeds grow even taller as code officers work to contact the banks that own the properties.

A recent state law made it harder for cities to take action and secure liens for cutting grass.

Before 2007, all a city had to do was post notice at the property, wait for a week, mow the lawn and file a lien. When the law was tightened, cities had to contact the mortgage company before doing any work at the property, including cutting grass.

If some Northwest Arkansas leaders have their way, the law will be amended to its original form.

Ernest Cate, Springdale’s chief assistant city attorney, has drafted a proposed amendment that he hopes to present as part of the Arkansas Mu- nicipal League’s 2009 legislative agenda.

Of the region’s four largest cities, Springdale has one of the biggest problems with uncut lawns. Violations for tall weeds have been on the rise there in the last two years. Citations in that city rose by 475 percent between April 2005 and last month, from 37 to 213.

The Center for Business and Economic Research at the Sam M. Walton College of Business has identified 160 new and vacant houses in Springdale. RealtyTrac, an Irvine, Calif.-based seller of default data, shows that 227 houses in Springdale are scheduled for auction. Of those, 140 are bank-owned. “We’re in trouble,” code officer Danny Snow said. “I think this summer is going to be a nightmare with all the foreclosures.”

$ 50 A LAWN Snow’s supervisor, chief building official Mike Chamlee, said his department’s $ 5, 000 budget for property maintenance is bound to run dry if grass complaints keep pouring in at the April level. “If we need more money, I’ll have to go before the City Council and ask for a budget amendment,” Chamlee said. “At this rate, I expect to ask for more.” The city typically pays $ 50 to a private contractor to have a lawn mowed, but expenses can soar when multiplied over many properties through the summer growing season, Chamlee said.

The 2007 amendment that made cities contact mortgage holders only applies when a city is seeking a lien. Cities have to seek liens, said city attorney Cate, or department’s like Chamlee’s would never get their money back.

Hunting down a mortgage company on a $ 50 cut rankles Cate.

“I could understand if we were tearing down the house, but why do we have to do a title search just to mow the yard ?” he said. “It doesn’t make sense.”

Such was the case earlier this month when residents complained about the unruly lawn at 1104 Marilyn, a house once owned by Ricardo Sanchez Meza. Cate ordered a $ 150 title search and found the lien holder, JP Morgan Chase Bank in Monroe, La. The city scheduled the yard to be mowed Saturday, but having to contact the mortgage company meant the grass remained uncut for an extra week. “It makes it look like the city is doing nothing,” Cate said.

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION The region’s battle with tall grass and weeds promises to be a long one. The most recent Skyline Report, a quarterly assessment of the region’s real-estate market produced by the UA Center for Business and Economic Research, shows the number of newly completed but vacant houses declining, to less than 2, 000 for the first time since early 2006. But the report also shows more than 27, 000 empty lots in active subdivisions in Benton and Washington counties, and another 18, 000 lots approved for development. Some of those lots, according to the Skyline Report, likely will not be developed for another five to 10 years.

In addition to the empty lots, Bentonville has the second-largest inventory of vacant residential construction — 372 houses — in Northwest Arkansas.

“There’s no question it’s a problem,” Bentonville code enforcement officer Marvin Saunders said. “The economic conditions are such that folks just walked off and left. We’re overworked, overloaded and can’t keep up.”

Like Cate, Saunders has misgivings over the 2007 amendment to the vacant property statute.

“This new law has doubled the time to build a case,” Saunders said. “From that vantage point, it makes the workload unbearable. [The Legislature ] passed it without thinking about the effect it would have on municipalities.”

Along with foreclosures and new vacant houses, code officers must contend with houses distressed by deaths, delinquent heirs, divorces and those who decide to move and leave their former lives behind.

In Rogers, code officers are trying to find a solution without having to use the law.

Instead of paying for title searches and placing liens on properties, Rogers’ code officers do their own searches, contact the mortgage companies by telephone and ask them to hire a lawn service to take care of their yards.

“We are in the push and pull of having to find somebody to take responsibility for their property,” said James Willett, Rogers’ director of code enforcement.

“That’s what we hope to do — put it off on the property owner on the front end,” he said. “We’d prefer that the mortgage company hire someone to take care of it.”

According to the Center for Business and Economic Research, Rogers has the largest number of vacant houses in the region — 427. That’s why the city is wary of shelling out public money for uncut grass.

“We’re not putting liens on property — at least not yet,” Willett said. “We try to do it with a phone call.”

stlchiefs
05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Title searches are free and actually very easy to do. Go to your counties Land Record / Deed office. You can then run a computer search on the address or the prior owners last name. By using their last name you can find out any mortgages on the property and thus see who is now the likely owner. The only cost for this service is if you decide to print out the records.

BWillie
05-26-2008, 01:35 PM
When he starts spending half his income on his home instead of spending half his income on beer, he'll get it.

Why do you assume I spend half my income on alcohol? I spend like $100 a month on alcohol. I don't ever want to spend half my income on a house until I get married and my wife makes me. Until then I'm gonna live for the moment, pay off my loans, have no debt, and cut my grass like once every week and a half.

Fairplay
05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Why do you assume I spend half my income on alcohol? I spend like $100 a month on alcohol.

You could buy a lot of Old Style with that kind of dough.

Fairplay
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
My neighbor which owned the empty lot behind me sold it to a builder, who has since had the lot up for sale. I use to mow it for them (elderly couple) as they were cool to have for neighbors. Plus they had awesome garage parties. ;)

I think the new owners thought i would still mow it for them. No way. Finally last week, the first time this year, they mowed it. Get use to it i thought.

Brock
05-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Why do you assume I spend half my income on alcohol? I spend like $100 a month on alcohol. I don't ever want to spend half my income on a house until I get married and my wife makes me. Until then I'm gonna live for the moment, pay off my loans, have no debt, and cut my grass like once every week and a half.

Enjoy trailer park life.

Ugly Duck
05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar190_13.gif

You a RaiderFan now? Welcome!

banyon
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
You a RaiderFan now? Welcome!

I think that's a David Sedaris book cover.

Guru
06-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Reported it to the city again because nothing was done. They now tell me they don't have any contracts with a mowing company so all they will do is fine the "owner". Like that was going to stop me from reporting it. Then they told me the first report was thrown out because they found the lawn "not in excess" IT WAS UP TO MY DAMN KNEES!!! Told them to look again.

Did some research on what bank owns it and found Bank of New York. Contacted them and they told me to contact coutrywide. Damn this is pissing me off.

Brock
06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I think that's a David Sedaris book cover.

It's a painting by Vincent van Gogh, you barbarians. ROFL

stlchiefs
06-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Did some research on what bank owns it and found Bank of New York. Contacted them and they told me to contact coutrywide. Damn this is pissing me off.

This is a problem you're going to run into. Even homeowners being foreclosed on are having a hard time finding out who is the owner of their note when they are trying to workout the mess. The way mortgages were bundled and sold is only adding to the problems. Good luck.

Bugeater
06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Oddly enough, there was a strikingly similar situation on the news here recently. The city came out and patched some holes in the privacy fence surrounding the yard, but they said they couldn't drain the pool until they contacted whoever owned the house. I just can't believe the city is powerless regarding something that is an obvious safety & health hazard.

blueballs
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Make elaborate yard circles
then float some road flares on helium ballons one night

mikeyis4dcats.
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
mow the yard you lazy bastard...

mow it down to about 1" tall.

Hydrae
06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
mow the yard you lazy bastard...

mow it down to about 1" tall.

That is my thought. If it is this important to you and you are afraid of how the look of the yard is reflecting on the neighborhood then fix it. Stop complaining and take care of it.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-12-2008, 07:34 PM
That is my thought. If it is this important to you and you are afraid of how the look of the yard is reflecting on the neighborhood then fix it. Stop complaining and take care of it.

but of course he should mow it super short and hope the summer sun kills it...

Valiant
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Reported it to the city again because nothing was done. They now tell me they don't have any contracts with a mowing company so all they will do is fine the "owner". Like that was going to stop me from reporting it. Then they told me the first report was thrown out because they found the lawn "not in excess" IT WAS UP TO MY DAMN KNEES!!! Told them to look again.

Well if it is up to your knees hopefully a prairie fire does not get it...

Valiant
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM

OR rent a tiller..

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Why wait for the sun? Roundup.

stlchiefs
06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Why wait for the sun? Roundup.

Exactly. Rent one of these for the afternoon, it should do the trick. Remember there is no such thing as overkill when doing home improvement projects.

~ Tim the Tool Man Taylor

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Exactly. Rent one of these for the afternoon, it should do the trick. Remember there is no such thing as overkill when doing home improvement projects.

~ Tim the Tool Man Taylor

That should work.

blueballs
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
all these drug threads could hold your answer
it will get mowed down faster than Redrum's mom

stlchiefs
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
That should work.

Granted he might have to make 2 passes, but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Guru
06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm complaining because the OWNERS of the property won't do jack shit about the problem hoping the locals, me, will take care of it for them for free.

ALSO, I don't know shit about cleaning up a pool. AND, I don't have an industrial strength lawn mower for this mile high thick crap they have in the back yard.

I am not worried about the neighborhood values based on one house though.

also, Countrywide did own up to the problem and will be calling me back tomorrow or monday to talk about resolving the issue. Just hope their plan isn't to ask me to mow it for them for a small fee or something. it is way to tall for me to be using my mower on it. If they want to send someone to do the initial cut, I can handle the weekly for $30 a week.

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm complaining because the OWNERS of the property won't do jack shit about the problem hoping the locals, me, will take care of it for them for free.

ALSO, I don't know shit about cleaning up a pool. AND, I don't have an industrial strength lawn mower for this mile high thick crap they have in the back yard.

I am not worried about the neighborhood values based on one house though.

also, Countrywide did own up to the problem and will be calling me back tomorrow or monday to talk about resolving the issue. Just hope their plan isn't to ask me to mow it for them for a small fee or something. it is way to tall for me to be using my mower on it. If they want to send someone to do the initial cut, I can handle the weekly for $30 a week.

You will probably need one of those DR mowers to get it back under control.

Frazod
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Have you tried contacting the local newspaper? Perhaps a nice story about how the city is ignoring this problem would garner some action.

Guru
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
The lawn has been mowed. After several calls to Countrywide, the lawn has now been mowed. Now to work on the critters living in the pool.

May just try that bleach option.