PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone here have experience with a Schnauzer dog?

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
My kids really want a dog, and a friends dog is having baby schnauzers...

Any issues with these types of dogs? Their dog is cute as hell... and since we have a daycare, we don't want a HUGE dog, so this one seems about right.

Thoughts? ANyone. Anyone? Bueller?

Stewie
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
They are the barking-est dogs.

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Great dogs. Very trainable.

ChiefsFanatic
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Anyone here have experience with a Schnauzer dog?

This one time, at camp. But everyone was doing it.

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
This one time, at camp. But everyone was doing it.

Well, you are from Blue Springs, hey do you know David Cook? LMAO

alanm
05-25-2008, 05:06 PM
They are the barking-est dogs.
I don't know about the barking-est dogs. But they are pretty protective of their home. We have one. Very friendly dogs and gets along well with kids and other critters. We have a shitzu as well and 2 cats. The schnauzer loves to wrestle around with the cats. He's a year and a half old. He's quite the character.
You have my recomendation.:thumb::thumb:

alanm
05-25-2008, 05:11 PM
That's no shit. We got ours from a friend of my GF. They couldn't keep him since they were moving out of state and couldn't take him. I haven't really had time to work with him yet but he's really receptive to commands and I know that he's already a good student. He could probably do anything that I wanted to teach him.
He's a little sneak thief with the other dogs milkbones and toys. LMAO

Stewie
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't know about the barking-est dogs.

We had a neighbor who bred Schnauzers. She never noticed the barking until we were at a neighbor's house about 100 yards away. We mentioned the barking and she said, "Our dogs don't bark that much!" We opened the front door and it was non-stop until the door was closed. They had three Schnauzers at that point. I'm not saying they're bad dogs, but...

Go to the pound and buy a cute mutt.

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2008, 05:18 PM
sweet. I think Im sold. Thanks guys.

The dog doesnt seem to smart though, as he is drinking diet coke... doesnt that dumbass know that it is has aspartame in it? WTF?!

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
We had a neighbor who bred Schnauzers. She never noticed the barking until we were at a neighbor's house about 100 yards away. We mentioned the barking and she said, "Our dogs don't bark that much!" We opened the front door and it was non-stop until the door was closed. They had three Schnauzers at that point. I'm not saying they're bad dogs, but...

Go to the pound and buy a cute mutt.

well, i can see your pain... however, we would only have ONE dog... and not 3. **** having 3 dogs...

KCFalcon59
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Great dogs. Owned one. Best dog I ever had. Easy to train. Only barked when someone was walking by the house. All it took was for me to tell her to shut up and she stopped. Just being protective.

Fishpicker
05-25-2008, 05:27 PM
that schnauzers coat looks alot like my schnauzer. they can be willful even though they are loyal. you have to be careful not to punish willful schnauzers too severely or you can damage the trust/relationship very quickly. the only drawback to schnauzers is that they get so attached to their owner that they will follow them around the house 24/7. sometimes they get separation anxiety too. otherwise they are great dogs.

Stewie
05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
well, i can see your pain... however, we would only have ONE dog... and not 3. **** having 3 dogs...

I said they were good dogs and didn't live close to the people who bred them. I was an onlooker, but the close neighbors said it was barking, barking, barking. Good luck, he/she looks like a cute dog.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
great dogs i really like them.

stumppy
05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I've had some experience with schnauzers. There was one in my neighborhood growing up that loved to chase and bite at bicycle riders. I trained him to not do that anymore.:evil:

Dave Lane
05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
They are psycho but fun

Dave

JohninGpt
05-25-2008, 07:47 PM
This dog looks remarkably similar to a 22oz framing hammer.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=78545&stc=1&d=1211753770

TrickyNicky
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7121/1000489bi3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Schnauzers are awesome

shaneo69
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
They are awesome dogs! Had one growing up, and currently have an 11 year old schnauzer. They like to chew things when they're young, and they are yappy, but no other complaints.

KcMizzou
05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
This dog looks remarkably similar to a 22oz framing hammer.
A hammer with a taste for pizza. :D

Cute pup.

TrickyNicky
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
How old is yours? They really cropped the tail short, or at least way shorter than my dog's. I think the breed standard is very short though.

The Bad Guy
05-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a mini-schnauzer.

Best dog I've ever had. He does bark a lot, and hates other dogs, but he's great. He is very playful, very smart, easy to housetrain.

And he doesn't shed.

Dartgod
05-25-2008, 11:23 PM
We've got one. He's got a ton of personality. They're a lot of fun. I'd recommend getting one.

blueballs
05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
apparently they're not allergic to latex

ClevelandBronco
05-25-2008, 11:42 PM
I had one that tried his damnedest to bite everyone except me. One day he ate an entire sofa.

wutamess
05-26-2008, 07:21 AM
First family dog from Petco: $1000
Shots, immunizations, etc: $300
Cage, toys, etc: $300

First chance (after 2 years) to give him away for free with papers and supplies: PRICELESS

I swear that dog had A.D.D.

http://i27.tinypic.com/30u2xqe.jpg

Friendo
05-26-2008, 07:32 AM
First family dog from Petco: $1000
Shots, immunizations, etc: $300
Cage, toys, etc: $300

First chance (after 2 years) to give him away for free with papers and supplies: PRICELESS

I swear that dog had A.D.D.

http://i27.tinypic.com/30u2xqe.jpg

or maybe just neurotic. our 4 yr old Lab's propensity to "get into sh*t, and create havoc", is directly proportional to how much excersise he gets. Cesar is a f***ing Wizard.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Hog Farmer
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I would reccomend getting one. We had two schnauzers ,both dead now. They do bark a lot. Make good burgular alarms. The only negative is they are really hard to hit past three hundred yards. You'll need a really good scope.

CoMoChief
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM

Agreed. Also very territorial, very loyal.

CoMoChief
05-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Here's mine, we got him because we were told that Schnauzers hated water and my dad didn't want the dog in the pool.

However that plan didnt work out as well as my dad hoped. Better yet we had shit tons of fun with him in the summertimes.

NewChief
05-26-2008, 01:19 PM
They get grumpy as hell in their old age. Very, very, very barky as well. My dad was infatuated with them, and we had probably five while I was growing up. Damned cute. Loyal. Love to sit in a lap. They do have drawbacks, though.

Extra Point
05-26-2008, 01:31 PM
They bark, but they don't yip. Great little dogs.

NewChief
05-26-2008, 01:35 PM
They bark, but they don't yip. Great little dogs.

Yeah. They're not yippy. They actually sound somewhat large and mean when they bark. People would always be surprised that it was a little bitty dog behind that mean bark once we opened the door.

stlchiefs
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
or maybe just neurotic. our 4 yr old Lab's propensity to "get into sh*t, and create havoc", is directly proportional to how much excersise he gets. Cesar is a f***ing Wizard.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

No offense, but this is something everyone should know before getting a dog, especially a large dog such as a lab.

Make sure you understand the amount of time a dog will need including the necessary exercise. It shouldn't take a dog genius to tell you your dog needs a run to keep from going crazy couped up in the house.

duncan_idaho
05-26-2008, 02:17 PM
My kids really want a dog, and a friends dog is having baby schnauzers...

Any issues with these types of dogs? Their dog is cute as hell... and since we have a daycare, we don't want a HUGE dog, so this one seems about right.

Thoughts? ANyone. Anyone? Bueller?

My neighbors across the street have a mini-schnauzer... just know that if you get it, everyone in your neighborhood will passionately hate you if you leave your dog outside for extended periods of time...

Especially if you do it every morning at 6 a.m., and leave the dog outside for an hour yapping its head off while you get ready for work ....