PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NFT: UFC 84 Anyone watch it?

BigVE
05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Looked back a few pages and didn't see anything posted. There were some decent fights but it didn't really live up to the hype IMO. Penn vs. Sherk was pretty much a boxing match with the only knee Penn threw ending the fight. Ortiz vs Yoshita was pretty boring too but you have to admire the highly skilled and unorthodox style Yoshita has developed. That knee he threw to Tito's ribs/liver was brutal! Tito almost threw in a last second submission but Yoshita was able to get out of it and win an easy decision. Jardine vs. Silva was funny for me because I don't like Jardine and before the fight started he had this stupid looking smile on his face...less than a minute later the smile was wiped off of his face!! Silva wins with an "easy" KO. Those were the only fights i caught, glad I didn't have to pay for this one though honestly. OH, I forgot about the (sp) Sokodojou vs Noguera fight...boring too with a decent KO by Soko at the very end of the first round. Technically Noguera was saved by the bell but he was unable to continue. Anyone catch some of the other fights?

keg in kc
05-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I didn't see any of it, but everything I've read says the undercard was really good.

KcMizzou
05-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm working on it.

I'll be back after I watch it, so as to avoid spoilers. (didn't read the thread header either)

BigVE
05-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm working on it.

I'll be back after I watch it, so as to avoid spoilers. (didn't read the thread header either)

Sorry about that, should have gave the spoiler warning I guess.

KcMizzou
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry about that, should have gave the spoiler warning I guess.No worries. I was smart enough not to read it. Now, if I have any self control AT ALL, I won't be back to this thread for a while. :D

mdstu
05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
The Wilson Gouveia - Goran Reljic fight was damn good.

ArrowheadHawk
05-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I just finished watching it. I thought it was a pretty good card. That arm bar that the newbie threw was pretty bad ass. I also liked to see Sherk get put in his place. I couldn't stand it when he was the champ. It seemed like his style was lay and pray. I can't believe he didn't try to do this to Penn. Oh well he got knocked the **** out. Penn was calling out St Pierre. I would love to see that match but I think that there are way too many good lightweights to let the champ fight in a different weight class.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Best part of the night was about 30 seconds before the Silva v. Jardin fight when Joe Rogan says "While Vegas has Silva as the favorite, many experts around MMA think it's at least an even fight or that Jardin is the favorite." Gimme a break. I like Rogan, but that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile.

Bowser
05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
No offense to the guys who update the MMA matches these days, but whatever happened to Immaculate? His threads were always informative and entertaining on the matches.

Bwana
05-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Yep, I watched it all. There were some good fights.

ChiefsFanatic
05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
The armbar by Palhares on Salaverry was the best thing of the entire night, followed closely by the knockout of Jardine.

I am a huge fan of submissions, and I have seen 100's of mma fights, and that was one of the slickest armbars I have ever seen. The transition from the back to the armbar was amazing. It reminds me of the armbar Hughes put on GSP in the fact that it was so quick and unexpected.

And who does not love seeing a dumbass poser like Jardine getting his bell rung. He will be living off that freak kockout of Liddell his whole career.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I rented it at the bar but was up in Wisconsin on a Turkey hunt. Didn't see or hear a damm thing.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I keep reading on other boards about how Machida was running from Tito, and wouldn't stand and fight.

I though Machida handled him masterfully. He was picking Tito apart, and making Tito miss repeatedly.

By the end of the first round he was completely inside Tito's head. (Which was nice, since Tito's usually in the other guy's head)

It reminded me of a bullfight. Tito'd get all pissed off and come snorting, stomping and charging in... only to miss badly... while Machida methodically chipped away at him.

It was nice to see the Axe Murderer live up to his nickname again. I was pretty concerned about Jardine for a while there. It seemed like it took him forever to get up.

Penn's still the man. I know some people don't like his cockiness, but damn he's fun to watch. Hell of an all-around fighter. I see Sherk as sort of the lightweight version of Rich Franklin. He's better than everyone in the division... other than the champ.

Basically everyone I was rooting for won, so I enjoyed it. Good show.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Penn was calling out St Pierre. I would love to see that match but I think that there are way too many good lightweights to let the champ fight in a different weight class.
I agree. Penn needs to stay put, clean out the division, and cement his legacy.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
In somewhat related news, Jon Koppenhaver (aka War Machine) is bat-shit crazy and will undoubtedly die young.

Jon “War Machine” Koppenhaver recently went on a rant over at his blog about the complexities of living in a cilvilized society. While I originally thought it was in response to his submission loss to Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida at UFC 84, site reader Joey 1.0 points out that it was posted over a week ago.

So much for post-fight stress as a possible cause. It’s an interesting read, and should give his therapist plenty to go on after he’s admitted.

From WarMachineMMA:

So I have pretty much decided that in the next couple of years I am gonna move somewhere LESS CIVILIZED. After all, civilization and LAWS are in place to protect the WEAK anyway. Me being the Alpha Male, Spartan, SAVAGE that I am…I see no need for this type of B.S.

I don’t go around looking for trouble and am in no way a bully. Actually if it were my way I would never have fights outside the ring, just train all day and **** all night … lol. But when someone needs to be smashed or KILLED I would be more than happy to do it. Like for instance the other night … I was minding my business walking down the street and three drunk guys and two chicks walk by me and talk shit to me. Making fun of my haircut or some lame shit. Instinctively I want to smash their faces in, I mean that’s what they deserve and what nature calls for. But instead I have to let their gf’s make excuses for them so I do nothing and let these faggots feel tough for a night.

Why should I have to be less of a man to protect the rights and lives of lesser men? Why if I smash all three of their faces do I get arrested and prosecuted and no one asks them WHY THE **** THEY WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HARASS ME IN THE FIRST PLACE!?

As you all know I got in big trouble earlier this year for a similar situation. Same type of thing. I was minding my business and some drunk dude talked shit and I terrorized him. Long story short and 20 grand later I ended up with probation and community service but was warned by the judge that a repeat would earn me prison time. So basically I am now walking on egg shells.

So the plan is to move to the Philippines in the next two years. There the money I make in the UFC will make me very wealthy and there I will not have to hold back when someone deserves to get smashed.

I wont have to be less of a man in order to prevent getting in trouble with the “law” I will be able to live my life how I want and deserve to live. I will train all day and **** all night. Maybe one day I will find a wife, if not it’s okay. I will bring my boxing coach and my jiu-jitsu coach with me. Build a team from scratch…this will be a great life. Hopefully before I am 55 I will die in a knife fight outside of some bar. Avoiding the midlife crisis all together.

This is the life of an Alpha Male like me. We are not supposed to grow old and wait around to die. We are supposed to fight, kill and fornicate. Tempt fate more and more with each passing year…and just as we start to become weaker and older a younger Alpha kills us and takes our place.

Yes, this is what I want, this is what I WILL have.

WM

I can imagine how the Filipino populace must feel about Koppenhaver’s assessment of their culture.

Here’s hoping that Koppenhaver is just having a temporary breakdown and knife-fights notwithstanding, is able to get his life back on track.

http://mmamania.com/2008/05/26/jon-koppenhaver-wants-to-die-in-a-knife-fight/

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
A couple more gems..

I AM A FIRM BELEIVER IN "WAR" I BELEIVE THAT IT IS A NECESSARY PART OF LIFE AND IT HELPS NURTURE THE SOUL. THE SPORT OF MMA IS NOT "WAR" I DO NOT GET ANYTHING OUT OF IT. I DO NOT HATE MY OPPONENTS AND THERFORE, NO INNER PAIN OR AGGRESSION IS RELEASED....THIS SPORT, IS JUST THAT, A SPORT. MY SOUL YEARNS FOR REAL WAR... "THE FEELING I GET FROM DESTROYING MY ENEMY...IS FAR BETTER, THAN FEELING THE LOVE, OF EVEN THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN." AND BTW...WHEN I SPEAK OF "WAR" OR "ENEMIES" IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY COUNTRY OR POLITIC...I AM AGAINST MOST WAR OF THAT NATURE. REAL WAR IS FOUGHT BETWEEN THOSE WHO KNOW AND HATE EACHOTHER. ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS...KNOWS ITS BEAUTY.

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
Date: May 11, 2008 11:31 PM

1. Yes, I LOVE it when a bitch licks my ass...lol
SO WHAT!

2. No I didn't "try" to sell my hand wraps from the J-Roc fight on E-bay.

3. I DID sell my hand wraps on E-Bay for like $300 bucks, which isn't bad considering I was 10 seconds away from throwing them away.

4. Don't hate on me cuz my trash is worth more than your future.

5. I never said I was, or claimed to be, one of the best fighters in the world.

6. I have heart and am tough to beat.

7. I fight so I don't have to get up before 10 am and drive in traffic to work, don't want a "boss" and I like pussy too much to rob banks and go to jail.

8. I can beat the shit out of 99.9 percent of the humans on this Earth, yes I'm pretty sure that means YOU.

9. If I died in "battle" whether it be in the cage or the street I wouldn't care so stop warning me to be careful.

10. Yes, if I stayed in this country the rest of my life I probably would end up in jail and thats the number one reason why I will leave in the near future.

11. Yes, I cried on T.V. Given the chance I will cry again. Crying doesn't make you a pussy. Being afraid to cry does. When you KNOW you are hard you don't have to HIDE your emotions...only when you are SOFT and INSECURE do you have to do such things.

12. Finally IF Yoshida beats me on the 24th, which I highly doubt will happen, it doesn't matter the fight will be great, he will be hurt and I will be back to fight in the UFC again. You are all just miserable because YOU abandoned your childhood dream and SETTLED for the life that you have now. You watch sports and talk trash about the mediocre athletes...shit even the BEST athletes....and hate on them for losing and making mistakes when YOU never even had the BALLS to try.

=)

WMFor those who don't know, Yoshida choked him unconscious about 90 seconds into the fight.

This guy needs some serious psychiatric help. I was a fan after the fight with J-Rock... but if I were the UFC I'd be very concerned. I mean, they're trying to be accepted as a legitimate sport.

TrickyNicky
05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
And not just any choke, it was a really SICK anaconda. I love the name because its so appropriate. You see Yoshida just tangle his legs so he couldn't turn away and then you see his arms cinch tighter together. It was awesome.

BigVE
05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
It didn't work but how 'bout that choke Tito almost pulled off! He tried to change it over to an arm bar and the dude slipped out but Tito almost got him. Too bad that was Tito's only real threat in the whole fight.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
It didn't work but how 'bout that choke Tito almost pulled off! He tried to change it over to an arm bar and the dude slipped out but Tito almost got him. Too bad that was Tito's only real threat in the whole fight.I was rooting for Machida, but that was damned close... and submissions aren't exactly Tito's usual game. I thought he had him.

CoMoChief
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Jardine got his shit kicked in.

And Ortiz is still a bitch.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Jardine got his shit kicked in.

Did you see David Spade's reaction? "HOLY SHIT!" :eek:

LMAO

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I stole this post from another site. I knew BJ Penn was a badass fighter, and I've never thought he was overrated... but damn when you put it like this...

I see a lot of newer fans (I'm not going to say TUF fans) who say that BJ is over-rated. I can even understand a little, because if i'd only been a fan for 2-3 years I may think the same thing.

So I am going to try not being condescending, and am actually going to try explaining to you why he is so highly regarded. I became a die-hard MMA fan about a year before his debut so I think I am in a good position for this.

Firstly, his BJJ game and credentials are as good as anybody in the game. This is why he is called the prodigy, the first US fighter to win the gold in Brazil.

So following his short and sensational career as a BJJ fighter he turned to MMA, and fans were already talking about him - before he had even fought. He was so highly regarded that his debut was in the UFC!

His opponent was Joey Gilbert, a gimme. BJ as expected dominated Gilbert.

Around this time Jens Pulver had just won the LW title, and the UFC was trying to get a superfight for him. So they brought in Din Thomas.

Din Thomas had fought all over the world, he was a known top class fighter and had stopped Jens Pulver previously. Not only that but he gave Caol Uno a hell of a fight in his only loss.

Din's UFC debut was against Penn. The vast majority of people thought that this was a gimme for Din before his big rematch with Jens, and in truth that was probably Zuffa's plans.

BJ Penn at only 22, and in only his second MMA fight KO'd Thomas in a couple of minutes. Trust my guys this was sensational at the time - Think Gonzaga-Cro Cop (only to a lesser extent because Thomas didn't have so many nut-huggers)

The next fight for BJ was probably to punish him for ruining the UFC's plans

It is hard to remember/believe, but at the time Uno was recognised as a top 3 fighter, and a guy who on his day could beat anybody in the world.

BJ Penn's destruction of Uno was probably the biggest 'coming-out party' in MMA history. He KO'd him in 11 seconds!

As an example could you imagine a 22 year old guy with only 2 fights destroying Gomi in 11 seconds?

That is what it was like.

I liken it to Sokoudjo this year, or Shogun in 2005. A metoric rise to fame like no other.

Uno had beaten Iha, Thomas, Sato twice and he had been overwhelmed in seconds by an in-experienced kid who was supposedly a grappler.

I remember the net at this time, and BJ Penn was probably the most talked about guy in the sport.

His next fight was with Pulver, a close decision loss. However he proved he was more than a match for the champion by having a picture-perfect armbar applied as the round ended.

Even though he lost he proved that he was no flash in the pan.

His next 3 fights were underwhelming, facing Creighton, Serra and Uno in lackluster affairs. The rematch with Uno was so controversial, and I still can not fathom how he didn't win the title in that fight. This gave fans sympathy for Penn.

At this time Penn was pissed, and vowed to prove that he was the number one guy in the world.

So he went out and on his own money put together a fight with unbeaten Takanori Gomi. You know how these days everybody makes threads "Who'd win Sherk or Kid Yamamoto?" etc

This was the same thing. A dream fight for fans between two guys in different organisations.

Unfortunately Gomi lost a decision to Hansen just over a month before the superfight, which made the fight anti-climatic.

It was still highly anticipated though, and Penn dominated Gomi. In a way which Gomi has never been dominated before or since. This is another easy thing to overlook, but directly after the Penn fight, Gomi signed for Pride and dominated for a couple of years. Just a testament to how good BJ truly is.

Following that Penn returned to the UFC and announced that he was going up in weight to fight Hughes.

Matt Hughes at that time was honestly viewed as Fedor is now. He was the top P4P guy in the world and was seen unbeatable.

Fans worldwide thought this was a huge mistake and there were threads on sherdog with titles such as 'RIP BJ' etc

What happened is the equivalent of Chuck Liddell moving to HW and dominating Fedor. It was unfathomable.

Writing this it is really hitting home how easy it is to forget the situations etc, how easy it is to downplay a win a few years later.

BJ lost a lot of fans with his next move - myself included. UFC warned him that as champion he could not fight in other organisations - he ignored them and went to K1.

Bang Ludwig was a rising superstar at the time, he was riding high with wins in his last two fights over Pulver and Sudo. Ludwig-Penn was the fight fans wanted to see, and they got it.

Like man vs boy, Bang was dominated and BJ Penn cemented his status as the P4P king.

In another of those easy to forget things, Rodrido Gracie was viewed as the next great Gracie. He was undefeated and coming off a huge win over Mach Sakurai.

When Penn announced he was moving up to MW to fight him people honest to god thought he was crazy.

He did though, and dominated the next great Gracie.

His next move was to crazy even for him. I remember when it was announced he moving to HW to fight undefeated sensation Machida there were people saying they were going to stop being fans of his because he was too ir-rational.

Fears were confirmed, and Penn lost. However it was a razor-thin decision that could easily have gone his way.

Think about it. Machida has dominated everybody he has fought, including brutal stoppages of Bonnar and Franklin, he is currently considered the biggest prospect in the LHW division. Yet he barely beat a guy fighting at least 50 pounds over his ideal weight. You guys still wanna say that BJ is over-rated?

I will not go into his next 3 fights because I assume that you guys know what happened.

Personally I groan everytime I read that Penn is over-rated. I he an MMA superstar, and one of the elite fighters of all time.

He has beaten 7 fighters who at the time were considered elite, Not only has he beaten them, he has dominated all but one (Serra)

Thomas
Uno
Serra
Ludwig
Gomi
Gracie
Hughes

So please next time you wanna type that Penn is over-rated, remember this post.

There is never an easier time to tell when a fan is uneducated, and when he explains that he doesn't know why Penn is so respected.

TrickyNicky
05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
He just needs to just stay at Lightweight and dominate.

I remember being pissed when he destroyed Uno the first time. I had gotten my hands on a boot of Uno vs Rumina Sato in Shooto (Awesome fight, btw look it up on youtube) and I thought he would eventually win the belt from Pulver. In comes this skinny hawaiian kid and just destroys him after an poorly timed legend of Kung Fu kick by Uno.

Needless to say, I became a fan and I was even more upset when it turned out to be a draw at UFC 41. WTF? Honestly, it ****ed the LW division for the next few years with no belts until Sherk won it against KenFlo.

Whats funny is I didn't know much about Machida, other than he KO'ed Franklin 2 years prior, until I saw him fight Penn. Just from that match I didn't think he was anything special. Its crazy how bad he made Machida look.

I think we need a running MMA thread, with an updated front page promoting the upcoming events. There are finally enough of us to keep up conversation I think.

TrickyNicky
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
You know who War Machine reminds me of? Lee Murray. Not really talent-wise, but in terms of self-destructive behavior. Anyone remember him? Last I heard, he pulled off a heist and is on the run internationally. His legend also claims to knocking out a drunk tito in the UK (Back when Tito mattered and was ducking Chuck).

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I think we need a running MMA thread, with an updated front page promoting the upcoming events. There are finally enough of us to keep up conversation I think.I'm all for it. That's one of the things I loved on Fatchatter... the MMA stuff was kinda in it's own area (sportsbucket), so it never dropped. There's just not much traffic. Usually it was just me and unlurking. I tried to get people to post over there, but I failed. (badly...lol)

You've obviously been following the sport longer than I have... start up a thread, and we can post UFC, WEC, DREAM, IFL, EliteXC, etc. stuff in there. I'll be all over it.

I can't wait for that Pulver/Faber fight. I think Faber will probably dominate, but I really, really want Lil' Evil to win.

(Hey speaking of Uno... did you see that win he got in DREAM 3? Sweet. :D)

ChiefsFanatic
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I can't wait for that Pulver/Faber fight. I think Faber will probably dominate, but I really, really want Lil' Evil to win.

Faber is currently my favorite fighter, but I really do like Pulver. I think that Faber is going to dominate.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Faber is currently my favorite fighter, but I really do like Pulver. I think that Faber is going to dominate.Faber's just an animal. I can't see anyone beating him.

Still, my heart's with Lil' Evil.

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
At this point, I'm just hoping I'm underestimating Pulver.

Hell, he'd like that. :D

KcMizzou
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I friggin' love Wandy.

The Axe Murderer is back.

(Sorry, watching UFC 84 again :D)