PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Guillermo del Toro talks Hobbit

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Getting excited! Ian McKellan back as Gandalf!

We had the opportunity to chat with Guillermo del Toro this morning from his current HQ in London. He’s hard at work putting the finishing touches on ‘Hellboy II: The Golden Army’ and taking interviews from news outlets about that film, and the recent announcement that he’ll be doing ‘The Hobbit’ and a subsequent Hobbit sequel down the line.

First things first, YES, that is him on our message boards (http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi), he told me he intends to post there as often as he humanly can. And yes, he is as cool and approachable as he sounds. Take a look at my interview!

How did this whole process get started?

GDT: I met Peter (Jackson) a long time ago when we were planning on doing ‘Halo’ together, I really love how they have that setup in New Zealand, I call it ‘Hollywood the way God intended it’. New Zealand has all the technical advantages when doing a big movie and you are shooting it in paradise, both in terms of artistic freedom and commitment.

When ‘Halo’ didn’t happen, Peter and I stayed in contact on a regular basis, and last winter I started getting inklings that ‘The Hobbit’ may come this way, mainly from the studio. The first thing I said was that I would only be interested if Peter was involved and the (New Line Lawsuit) problem gets resolved. When that issue was resolved I got a call from Peter and we chatted, and it started from then, it was my Christmas gift!

Fans are all abuzz about ‘The Second Film’, can you tell some of your plans for it?

GDT: You know, I traveled to New Zealand just a little while ago, and one of the main reasons for going was to sit down and talk about the second film. ‘The Hobbit’, the book, is really one self-contained film, so for the second movie we sat down and worked it out. When we did this we got really excited because this second film is not a ‘tag on’, it’s not ‘filler’, it’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative. There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the 5 volumes of the entire story. It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story, and I think we’re all on the same page.

You will be moving down to New Zealand for 4 years, is that right?

GDT: Approximately, my whole family, but the first stages of design and R&D will be done with me going back and fourth from LA and New Zealand because there are a lot of things I need to put to bed before I finally move to New Zealand. I’m going much sooner than my relatives would like!
We will officially be doing a lot of prep on ‘The Hobbit’ this summer, there is so much to do, its amazing. Just the reforestation of The Shire, re planting all those trees and plants will take months, and we’re going to be as exact as possible.

Films like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ used a few studio sets to simulate outdoors, will you be doing the same for ‘The Hobbit’ or will you be making use of New Zealand’s wilderness like Peter did?

GDT: I think green screen photography is exactly like CGI, it is a tool, I don’t think it should be overused. Things like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ and ‘The Devil’s Backbone’ are incredibly dependent on location, we shot on location for more than half the time. Those locations can be enhanced by technology however, both digital and physical. What I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don’t like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible.

You’ll be using WETA Digital for the effects?

GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

What I’m trying to do is keep the elements in place but allow you to feel a progression from ‘The Hobbit’ until ‘The Return of the King’. I believe ‘The Hobbit’ is a very crucial volume in The Lord of the Rings, it is a narrative that starts out very much in an innocent and golden way. It is permeated from England going through World War One, so there is a loss of innocence and a darker tone as the book and the film progresses. We’ll be doing that in the first film, taking you from a time of more purity to a darker reality throughout the film, but I think that is in the spirit of the book. All these guys, Alan Lee, John Howe, these guys are integral for us to map out that progress in the two movies, and allow you to completely blend in to the universe that is already in place. But this will be a progression, it should not feel at the start of the film that this is the same time (as the beginning of ‘Fellowship’). 50 years in Shire time, is not the same as 50 years in human time, if you think about how our world has changed in only 7 or 8 years, you can think of it as decades of turmoil, those 50 years in Middle-earth.

Do you have any roles cast?

GDT: Well, I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, he’s on board, as is Andy Serkis. We will continue giving you progress reports as the occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements.

What will differ from your films versus Peter’s?

The only thing I will be pushing for more in these films that the other three are full animatronics and animatronic creatures enhanced with CGI, as opposed to CGI creatures themselves. We really want to take the state-of-the-art animatronics and take a leap ten years into the future with the technology we will develop for the creatures in the movie. We have every intention to do for animatronics and special effects what the other films did for virtual reality.

Another thing people will notice, at the beginning of the film will be the palette, that will be slightly different, the world will be the same but it will be a more ‘golden’ world, a more wide-eyed world. But by no means will we depart from the canon, we will take the three previous films as canon. When I become part of a world that I love, such as this, I really come with a lot of enthusiasm and hard work, and we know we are recreating and creating a world that is part of the mythos of millions of people and we will approach it as passionately and respectfully as it needs to be taken.

This is also good stuff....PJ and GdT chatting with fans.

http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php?itemid=695&catid=2#more

Valiant
05-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Hopefully the extended version is close to six hours..

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Hopefully the extended version is close to six hours..

They're making two films. Apparently the first one is about the hobbit, and the second about the "in between" stuff. I think the source on the second film is Tolkien's notes or something.

el borracho
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
1. Why isn't Jackson directing these?
2. What is/was the New Line lawsuit all about?

FAX
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I very much like the idea of forcing animatronics technology to take a step further. Go Guillermo!!

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I think green screen photography is exactly like CGI, it is a tool, I don’t think it should be overused. Things like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ and ‘The Devil’s Backbone’ are incredibly dependent on location, we shot on location for more than half the time. Those locations can be enhanced by technology however, both digital and physical. What I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don’t like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible.

Too bad Lucas and Spielberg don't get it.

Tribal Warfare
05-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I very much like the idea of forcing animatronics technology to take a step further. Go Guillermo!!

FAX

This would help the Incredible Hulk franchise to make him appear more lifelike and believable if they can pull it off gracefully.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Too bad Lucas and Spielberg don't get it.

Too bad this is going to be terrible. I can't believe you get as pissy as you do about Indy and you are excited for this. They are absolutely shitting on the canon. Hell, they want to put Aragorn in it. WTF? He would be like 10 years old. What really pisses me off is the blatant cash grab of the second movie. Based off of notes my ass. Not to mention that I'm sure we are going to get the Hellboy GDT, not the Pan's Labyrinth GDT.

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Too bad this is going to be terrible. I can't believe you get as pissy as you do about Indy and you are excited for this.

Peter Jackson and Del Toro know what they're doing.

Hell, they want to put Aragorn in it. WTF? He would be like 10 years old. Aragorn was about 90 during Lord of the Rings. Didn't know that, did you?

Also, this is canon.

In 3009, Gandalf grew suspicious of the ring belonging to the Hobbit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit) Bilbo Baggins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilbo_Baggins), which later turned out to be the One Ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Ring), the source of the Dark Lord Sauron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron)'s evil power. Aragorn went at his request into Rhovanion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhovanion) in search of Gollum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gollum), who had once possessed the Ring. He caught the creature in the Dead Marshes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Marshes) near Mordor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor), and brought him as a captive to Thranduil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thranduil)'s halls in Mirkwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirkwood), where Gandalf questioned him.

FAX
05-26-2008, 04:37 PM
This would help the Incredible Hulk franchise to make him appear more lifelike and believable if they can pull it off gracefully.

Agreed, Mr. Tribal Warfare. IronMan, too. And the Green Lantern and Weasle Boy, for that matter. There are tons of potential applications for animatronics, but the technology is often still too klunky to cross the "realism" threshold. At least it seems that way to me. Like those dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, for example. They were just heads.

I like his idea of sweetening the animatronics with CGI and getting away from the all-CGI approach. Movies like this can force the technology forward and I'm all for that.

FAX

FAX
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Too bad this is going to be terrible. I can't believe you get as pissy as you do about Indy and you are excited for this. They are absolutely shitting on the canon. Hell, they want to put Aragorn in it. WTF? He would be like 10 years old. What really pisses me off is the blatant cash grab of the second movie. Based off of notes my ass. Not to mention that I'm sure we are going to get the Hellboy GDT, not the Pan's Labyrinth GDT.

I thought Aragorn came from a line of people who lived for a really long time, Mr. Third Eye. Like 400 years, or something.

FAX

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I thought Aragorn came from a line of people who lived for a really long time, Mr. Third Eye. Like 400 years, or something.

FAX

That is true, but it still doesn't change the fact he was 10 in the Hobbit. According to Tolkien, Aragorn was born in 2931, Bilbo got his ring from Gollum in 2941, and the events of The Lord of the Rings happen in 3018.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Peter Jackson and Del Toro know what they're doing.

Aragorn was about 90 during Lord of the Rings. Didn't know that, did you?

Also, this is canon.

Nice edit, but yes I did know that. If you consider 1 paragraph worth of material that is going to be spread over 3 hours with lots (I'm sure) of liberties, canon, then OK for you.

In truth, there is about 1 page worth of published material that takes place between the two books.

FAX
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
That is true, but it still doesn't change the fact he was 10 in the Hobbit. According to Tolkien, Aragorn was born in 2931, Bilbo got his ring from Gollum in 2941, and the events of The Lord of the Rings happen in 3018.

Ah. I didn't realize that. But, didn't Aragorn come from a line of people who started fighting like hell at the age of 5, or something?

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
If you consider 1 paragraph worth of material that is going to be spread over 3 hours with lots (I'm sure) of liberties, canon, then OK for you.

I'm sure the entire movie won't be about that one passage.

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM

OK, now I feel dumb. Sorry.

Anyway, does it say they're actually putting Aragorn in the Hobbit? Or just the second film?

FAX
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Aragorn came from a line of people who could move back and forth through time using Elf dream energy and bark from the Tree Of Confusion.

FAX

el borracho
05-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I like his idea of sweetening the animatronics with CGI and getting away from the all-CGI approach. Movies like this can force the technology forward and I'm all for that.

FAX

That was the technique behind Treebeard- big animatronic puppet with a CGI face.

Basileus777
05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Aragorn is of the blood of Numenor, so he gets to live longer.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
OK, now I feel dumb. Sorry.

Anyway, does it say they're actually putting Aragorn in the Hobbit? Or just the second film?

The talk was that GDT wanted him in both films, but there has been significant backlash, so who knows. At the end of the day, I'm still going to see them both on opening night. I just am a little wary from some of the things I hear. Hell, in all truth Peter Jackson took quite a few liberties that I managed to look the other way on, so why shouldn't I here?

shammus
05-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Great that Serkis and McKellen will be reprising their characters in these upcoming films. Any thoughts on if Ian Holm will be starring as Bilbo? He's 76 years old though....

Basileus777
05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
The second film sounds like a terrible idea. Yeah, there is probably some stuff you can stretch out to make a film about, but nothing essential, nothing that can make make a complete story worth making a film about. Then again it could be shit and they would still rake in the $$.

HolyHandgernade
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
The second film sounds like a terrible idea. Yeah, there is probably some stuff you can stretch out to make a film about, but nothing essential, nothing that can make make a complete story worth making a film about. Then again it could be shit and they would still rake in the $$.

I don't know, if the second film includes the Goblin Wars in the Mines of Moria, that could be pretty exciting!

-HH

RustShack
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
So the end of the LOTR totally left it open for another movie even. They talked about Bilbos story, which is being made now, then the LOTR which obviously was already made, then they said there is room left in the book for another story, same story after it all. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?... when they are all leaving on that ship... Think they will make another one sometime?

shammus
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know, I can think of quite a few things that a movie between the Hobbit and the LotR triology could cover -

Sauron's return to Mordor from Mirkwood, Balin's fate in Moria, Saruman's decision to betray the White Council, Sauron's search for the ring and dispatching of the nine ringwraiths, Theodin & Rohan's decline, Gollum's capture outside of Mordor and subsequent torture, Boromir and his army from Gondor reclaiming the city of Osgilliath (sp) and then subsequent mission to Rivendale....

That's a ton right there. Plus you could also focus on the backgrounds of some of the characters from the trilogy a little further (ie Aragorn, Faramir, etc...) to better explain their origins somewhat. Additional characters from the novel, ie...Radagast the Brown and Tom Bombadil, that were excluded from the trilogy could even be added in somehow.

Not saying for sure that it would be a great movie or anything like that but I do tend to think that there's an overwhelming amount of material to work with.

CoMoChief
05-26-2008, 07:15 PM
http://blog.sme.sk/blog/68/97702/clanok_foto.jpg

No one is better than this Guillermo

Basileus777
05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't know, I can think of quite a few things that a movie between the Hobbit and the LotR triology could cover -

Sauron's return to Mordor from Mirkwood, Balin's fate in Moria, Saruman's decision to betray the White Council, Sauron's search for the ring and dispatching of the nine ringwraiths, Theodin & Rohan's decline, Gollum's capture outside of Mordor and subsequent torture, Boromir and his army from Gondor reclaiming the city of Osgilliath (sp) and then subsequent mission to Rivendale....

That's a ton right there. Plus you could also focus on the backgrounds of some of the characters from the trilogy a little further (ie Aragorn, Faramir, etc...) to better explain their origins somewhat. Additional characters from the novel, ie...Radagast the Brown and Tom Bombadil, that were excluded from the trilogy could even be added in somehow.

Not saying for sure that it would be a great movie or anything like that but I do tend to think that there's an overwhelming amount of material to work with.

I agree that there is a lot of things that they could film, but I don't see any coherent plot for a film among all of that. Is there any real need to make a movie about what is mostly filler? Its something that would be very difficult to pull off.

Count Alex's Losses
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree that there is a lot of things that they could film, but I don't see any coherent plot for a film among all of that. Is there any real need to make a movie about what is mostly filler? Its something that would be very difficult to pull off.

I still think it would be entertaining. It's going to be impossible to have any sort of real resolution. I'd still see it to venture into Tolkien's world for another 3 hours, even if it's just like a theme park ride.

kcfanintitanhell
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM

When I first discovered, back in '95, that Peter Jackson was in the prep stages of putting LOTR on the big screen, I was thinking(also having read the Trilogy and the Hobbit a bunch of times), coherent plot or not, this was going to be a monumental task. Especially after living through the previous attempts, which were, ahh, not so good. Sorry, Mr Bakshi.
And what he pulled off was a masterpiece.
So I'm giving him the benefit of doubt in Hobbit part 2.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
So the end of the LOTR totally left it open for another movie even. They talked about Bilbos story, which is being made now, then the LOTR which obviously was already made, then they said there is room left in the book for another story, same story after it all. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?... when they are all leaving on that ship... Think they will make another one sometime?

This is just a literary plot device. In the books, Bilbo writes a book chronicling his adventures and calls it There and Back Again. They actually show it in the Fellowship movie. Bilbo takes it with him to Rivendell after his 111th birthday. When Frodo is reunited with him (something like 15 years later) at the creation of the Fellowship, Bilbo gives Frodo the book so that he can write his part of the story (not in the movie). In the books (not the movie) Frodo gives Sam the book at the Grey Havens so he can continue to write the story. I don't think the book is mentioned after that, but we do know that Sam eventually left Middle Earth some 150 odd years later for Valinor. The book was obviously left behind because that is what we are supposedly reading. In fact, There and Back Again was another title for The Hobbit.

Third Eye
05-26-2008, 09:47 PM

Well, kinda. I mean, we know these things happened, but we don't know the details. Now we get into dangerous territory, and it becomes less Tolkien and more Peter Jackson and most definitely less canonical. That is a problem for me, and many others. I couldn't even begin to imagine the outrage by the fanboys if they included Tom Bombadil after he was excluded from Fellowship (which angered alot of people as it was).

Count Alex's Losses
05-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Shit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

“We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects”, says Executive Producer Peter Jackson. “The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I’ve ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo’s strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA”.

“Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished” says Jackson. “New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work”.

DaneMcCloud
05-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Shit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”,

Excellent! This opens the door for Michael Bay to direct both movies.

Bowser
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM

'SPLOSIONS!!!

googlegoogle
05-31-2010, 03:14 AM
The hobbit was the better book.

I got tired of the lord of the rings real fast. Maybe some things don't translate to film well.

Tribal Warfare
05-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Spielberg will buy it out, and Shia Labouf will be headlining

keg in kc
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
We have us some news!

So sayeth the LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/10/the-hobbit-movies-ready-to-go-pending-labor-resolution.html):
'The Hobbit' movies ready to go, pending labor resolution

October 15, 2010 | 10:44 am

Following a multitude of delays, Warner Bros. and co-financing partner Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. have agreed to start production in February on the two films that serve as a prequel to the blockbuster "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, people familiar with the situation said.

Only one hitch remains, however, and it may not necessarily be a small one. The studios are waiting to announce the greenlight because a labor dispute between director Peter Jackson and the Screen Actors Guild and other performers unions is not yet resolved. The unions have advised members not to work on "The Hobbit" because they claim it's a non-union production. The parties are hopeful that a resolution is imminent, which would pave the way for the movies to be shot in Jackson's home country of New Zealand, where "Lord of the Rings" was made and preproduction for the new films is underway.

The first "Hobbit" movie is scheduled to be released in December 2012 and the second the following holiday season, both in 3-D.

Production on "The Hobbit" had also been held up because of the financial problems of MGM, which owns international distribution rights to the pictures and is obligated to cover half of the budget, which is expected to approach $500 million. Although MGM is still not financially able to foot its part of the bill, it had to commit to the production before filming could start.

MGM is expected to talk to potential funding sources, including other studios that could handle foreign distribution on its behalf. As a backup plan, Warner Bros. has agreed to loan MGM the money in exchange for additional rights to the picture beyond the domestic distribution it already controls.

The production will be overseen by Warner Bros.' New Line Cinema label, which made the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy before it was folded into its sibling studio by parent company Time Warner Inc.

Negotiations between the two sides have been led by New Line President Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group President Kevin Tsujihara, and Spyglass Entertainment chiefs Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, who will take over MGM's management if a proposed prepackaged bankruptcy plan gets approved by the studio's creditors.

Another major sticking point in recent weeks has been finalizing terms of a deal with Jackson, who co-wrote the script and is also a producer on the movies. He has been preparing the production for the past two years and in the spring he replaced Guillermo Del Toro as director.

-- Ben Fritz and Claudia Eller

Count Alex's Losses
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
We have us some news!

So sayeth the LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/10/the-hobbit-movies-ready-to-go-pending-labor-resolution.html):

http://oi43.tinypic.com/fod2qh.jpg

Count Alex's Losses
10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Excellent casting.

The cast of The Hobbit has been revealed and it's more interesting for who's not listed as being in it, than for who is. First, who is in it. As predicted, Martin Freeman is set to play Bilbo Baggins. He seems perfect, he's the guy everyone's wanted all along, and having him play Bilbo makes so much sense that it almost seems… well… too easy. But ok, that sounds good.

Deadline has the rest of the primary cast too. The book the movie's based on tells the story of a young Bilbo Baggins setting out on a quest with a group of dwarves to free their ancestral mountain home from a dragon. So since Freeman is a Bilbo, that means the rest of the cast will be dwarfy. Leading the Dwarf contingent is Richard Armitage, who will play Thorin Oakenshield. Aidan Turner, best known for his role in Being Human and Rob Kazinsky (East Enders) will play the Dwarf brothers Kili and Fili. Graham McTavish will play the dwarf Dwalin, John Callen is Oin, Stephen Hunter is Bombur, Mark Hadlow is Dori, and Peter Hambleton will play Gloin, the father of Gimli who was played by John Rhys Davies in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Will Nemoy do a funky-fresh remix of "Bilbo Baggins" for the film?

We can only pray.

el borracho
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Another major sticking point in recent weeks has been finalizing terms of a deal with Jackson, who co-wrote the script and is also a producer on the movies. He has been preparing the production for the past two years and in the spring he replaced Guillermo Del Toro as director.

Not sure if that is a fact or speculation; I'm really hoping it is a fact.

boogblaster
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Hobbit females smell of minnow pie .......

Groves
10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
replaced Guillermo Del Toro as director.

I think it's more fact than fiction.

Del Toro was eager, but couldn't wait around (passing up other projects) while the whole mess got straightened out.