PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sherrll Headrick would like us to write

gblowfish
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
One of the great early Chiefs, AFL Linebacker Sherrll Headrick is not doing well. Got this e-mail from Ange Coniglio in NY, who runs the "Remember the AFL" site:

American Football League fans and former players:

Sherrll Headrick's wife informs me that even though his liver, adrenal and lung cancer has now spread to his hip, he keeps his spirits up, and likes to hear from fans.

She has given me an e-mail address where he can be reached:

mrzydotes@aol.com.

How about dropping him a line to show your appreciation for his hard-nosed play in the AFL?

Regards,

Ange Coniglio
www.remembertheafl.com

So please feel free to drop him a line as a Chiefs fan. He's one of our own.

Brock
05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1079231/index.htm

Great article from 1966. Tough old buzzrd.

FAX
05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for posting this, Mr. gblowfish.

FAX

stlchiefs
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice read, that guy is one tough SOB. Anyone have any pictures?

ClevelandBronco
05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/1965Topps101Headrick250w.jpg

Scroll down on this link:

http://www.conigliofamily.com/TexansChiefs.htm

gblowfish
05-27-2008, 09:02 AM
bump

Rain Man
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1079231/index.htm

Great article from 1966. Tough old buzzrd.

The most interesting thing is that the first story was about a preseason game.

Headrick is a little before my time, but he sounds like a Chief that I would've really enjoyed watching.

sparkky
05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
DONE

ClevelandBronco
05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Here's the one I sent, for what it's worth:

Mr. Headrick:

I wanted to take this opportunity to drop you a note to thank you for your contribution to professional football, a game that I have loved since I was a boy. I was born in 1959, just at the beginning of your pro career, so it was guys such as you that defined the game during the era that I remember most fondly. You guys were the reason we played football every chance we got in our backyards.

I've had the chance recently to read more about the toughness you displayed when you played with the Chiefs and the Bengals, and how you are now having to summon up similar toughness to deal with your current health challenges.

Even after all this time, you're continuing to show us that a man can face even his most formidable opponents with courage and strength. Thank you for your example.

May God bless you and hold you and your family close in His loving arms.

Sincerely,

etc., etc., etc.

(Hey, the guy doesn't need to known my team affiliation.)

InChiefsHell
05-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Mr. Headrick:

I wanted to take this opportunity to drop you a note to thank you for your contribution to professional football, a game that I have loved since I was a boy. I was born in 1959, just at the beginning of your pro career, so it was guys such as you that defined the game during the era that I remember most fondly. You guys were the reason we played football every chance we got in our backyards.

I've had the chance recently to read more about the toughness you displayed when you played with the Chiefs and the Bengals, and how you are now having to summon up similar toughness to deal with your current health challenges.

Even after all this time, you're continuing to show us that a man can face even his most formidable opponents with courage and strength. Thank you for your example.

Sincerely,

etc., etc., etc.

WTF?? A classy Donk fan???? What's next!??!

ClevelandBronco
05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
WTF?? A classy Donk fan???? What's next!??!

You might want to hold your opinion of me in abeyance for now. I fully intend to start talking trash as soon as the game starts back up.

Stewie
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I hope the email responses aren't spelled Sherll.

R&GHomer
05-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Mr. Headrick:

Sincerely,

etc., etc., etc.

Well done man. Wow... A donky fan showing some class. I'm in bizzaro land or something.

InChiefsHell
05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
You might want to hold your opinion of me in abeyance for now. I fully intend to start talking trash as soon as the game starts back up.

That's more like it...what are you trying to do, bring about the end times??:D