PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Golf- Best Irons for under $500?

tyton75
05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new set of Irons that will last me, well, probably forever.

I know there are a lot of golfers on here and just thought I would see what folks had to say.

I'm about a 15 handicap and have been using my first set of irons for the last 7 years; Wilson ProStaff Graphites.. they are ehh.. and I'm just wanting to get a premiere set to last.

I've been thinking about the Taylor Made r7 steel shafts from Dick's; but any suggestions would be appreciated!!

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 09:17 AM
ebay.

You can get one hell of a set on ebay for under five. 15 handicap, you might look at big bertha's, very forgiving. I hit Callaway Fusions and LOVE them. I have hit a ton of clubs and these seem to give me great ball control. Working it left and right, forgiving on mishits and have a great look.

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 09:24 AM
ebay.

You can get one hell of a set on ebay for under five. 15 handicap, you might look at big bertha's, very forgiving. I hit Callaway Fusions and LOVE them. I have hit a ton of clubs and these seem to give me great ball control. Working it left and right, forgiving on mishits and have a great look.

That's what I'm hitting too. Love them.

Bill Lundberg
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I just bought a set of Cleveland CG Golds. They were $599.00. I hit the Callaway Big Bertha's, Ping G10, and a set of Titleist's and I hit the Clevelands better than all of them. The set came with a hybrid 3 and 4 iron. I absolutely love the hybrids, I have never been able to hit a regular 3 or 4 but I knock the shit out of the ball with the hybrids.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
The only thing keeping me away from ebay atm is that I really want to test them first and I know Dicks has a test range in the store... maybe I'll go trial some of these and then hit ebay :)

No love for the Taylor Mades?

REDHOTGTO
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
i hit tommy armour 245 2 stripes and steel shafts, i think the steel shafts hit tons better than the graphite, i dont think i will ever go back

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
The only thing keeping me away from ebay atm is that I really want to test them first and I know Dicks has a test range in the store... maybe I'll go trial some of these and then hit ebay :)

I think my brother-in-law has Taylor Mades. Not sure which ones though.

Bill Lundberg
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Golf Galaxy has a simulated range in store as well.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Or hit a demo day. That way you can try out tons of clubs, then make your decision. I would only recommend for your skill level to stay away from blades.....hell even a lot of tour pro are staying away these days. with today's irons you can get workability with forgiveness, something that blades will not give you.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Or hit a demo day. That way you can try out tons of clubs, then make your decision. I would only recommend for your skill level to stay away from blades.....hell even a lot of tour pro are staying away these days. with today's irons you can get workability with forgiveness, something that blades will not give you.

Funny you mention that.. I keep an old Pitching wedge blade that my grandfather used to use in my bag for luck.... occasionally I'll pull it out and try to hit it at the range.. I'm good for about 1 outta 3 decent shots with that thing.

little jacob
05-27-2008, 10:04 AM
dem TaylorMade RAC irons done a lot for I and I.

phisherman
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
try some cleveland irons, you'll love em.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I've heard that Cleveland makes really good irons.. never had a chance to swing them though.. might have to give them a look

Whoarethechefs
05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Build your own, I've built every club in my bag except my TM R500 driver.

It's very easy, I have 2 Forged Snake eyes wedges 56 and a 52, and a cool set of Snake Eyes Cavity back irons. I have Rifles in the Wedges and graphite in the irons.

Just had to read up a bit on how to custom them for me (swing speed = Shaft flex)

I love the Irons, But the wedges are pure Magic, feel like butta.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Build your own, I've built every club in my bag except my TM R500 driver.

It's very easy, I have 2 Forged Snake eyes wedges 56 and a 52, and a cool set of Snake Eyes Cavity back irons. I have Rifles in the Wedges and graphite in the irons.

Just had to read up a bit on how to custom them for me (swing speed = Shaft flex)

I love the Irons, But the wedges are pure Magic, feel like butta.

I'm sure its easy for YOU, but I'm an idiot when it comes to building just about anything and by the time I figured it out thru trial and error; I would have spent more than just buying from the factory :)

Wish I could though

phisherman
05-27-2008, 10:24 AM
i like the cleveland irons a lot..i've hit the ta-5's and ta-6's and liked them both. very easy to hit.

i almost bought the launchers a while back; i hit those pretty well too.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Clevelands are pretty good too.

Adams golf is putting out some real affordable stuff, good quality 2.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Do yourself a favor and do the following...

1. Go talk to a pro
2. Get your swing analyzed to help you pick the best club for you
3. Get them fitted if you want

I bought a nice set of mizunos and did all the above for under $600 and I love the clubs.

But he had me swing several brands and analyzed my swing and told me which club I did better with. I think that is a good one time investment.

I will add to the cleveland wedges props here too. I love my cleveland wedge. Makes me look I know wtf I am doing around the green.

RockChalk
05-27-2008, 11:16 AM

if you are serious about getting a quality set of irons that are right for you, then please do more than hit them at the Dick's test range or any indoor range for that matter.

a prior post mentioned going to a demo day. i did this last year and tried out a variety of irons, but focused mainly on Pings since that's what I've grown accustomed to. after hitting at the demo day, I was interested in the Ping I5's (a little out of your price range of $500) so I went to the local store and borrowed the demo I5's to play a round with. Most local stores who are authorized Ping dealers will let you do this...not sure what Dick's policy is.

Pablo
05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Go to Dicks and hit a few at their indoor range. Or hit up a demo day at your local club. There are no 'best' irons, only the ones you feel most comfortable with. I demo-ed a set of Taylormade Rac-OS2's and a set of Cobra FP's. The FP's were '07 models, and they were on sale for $350. The OS2's were $400 I believe. Both felt pretty good, but I went with the FP's. Very forgiving, solid feeling clubs. I'm a beginner but those FP's have helped a great bit.

And if you can get a set with a hybrid 3 or 4 or both, that's even better. I can't hit my 3 iron at all, and there are select few days when I can actually do anything with my 4 iron. But I hit my friend's hybrid 3-iron yesterday, 200 yards on a rope. But that's just me, you might be fine with your 3 and 4.

Just take your time, demo a whole bunch of different sets, and then price check against ebay, tgw.com, and look for online coupons.

Stewie
05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
3. Get them fitted if you want

QFT

Most clubs don't fit people right off the shelf, especially in the lie of the club.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I like carying my 3 and 4 iron, and one 20* hybrid.

4-205-210
3-215-220
hybrid-230-240

petegz28
05-27-2008, 11:28 AM

4-205-210
3-215-220
hybrid-230-240

If you haven't checked it out I would suggest the Taylor Made r5 steel 3 wood. I hit the living crap out of that club and the trajectory is always low and with little draw or fade. Off the tee or the fairway that club flat out spanks ass!

RockChalk
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
If you haven't checked it out I would suggest the Taylor Made r5 steel 3 wood. I hit the living crap out of that club and the trajectory is always low and with little draw or fade. Off the tee or the fairway that club flat out spanks ass!

i've been meaning to try out some hybrids...did you get this at Dick's? how much?

petegz28
05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
i've been meaning to try out some hybrids...did you get this at Dick's? how much?

No I got it at Nigro's. It isn't a hybrid it is a 3 wood. But if you need to hit a tight fairway or have a 200+ fairway shot I would go to that club and swing it blindly. I would say though it is going to be around $200-$235 though. Or it was at least a few years ago when it came out.

It also has the adjustable weights if you are into that sort of tinkering.

donkhater
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

4-205-210
3-215-220
hybrid-230-240

Wow. If you're able to hit a 3 iron well and hit a 20 degree hybird 230 then you have quite the swing speed.

If I get my 4 iron 190 I'm lucky, although that didn't use to be the case. Lately I've been noticing I've dropped a club in distance. I used to hit 150 easily with a 8 iron and now it's a no-brainer 7. I've focused more on a balanced, tempo swing. Perhaps, I've lost a little punch.

Anyway I digress. I went looking for irons this spring and tried the Callaways & Taylormade r7. But I fell in love with the Mizuno MP-25. Damn those are nice clubs. Saving up for them next season.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:39 AM
QFT

Most clubs don't fit people right off the shelf, especially in the lie of the club.

True but you can also get the lie bent later.

Fitted is nice, though I think it matters more in a driver. Shaft selection for a driver is crusual.

I play alot of tournaments, and have a ton of tournament golfing friends. Also guys that play in collage such as MU. We buy and use clubs off of ebay all the time. You will sav enough money that you can get you some nice wedges to go with the set also. If you have a flat or upright swing, you can have a shop adjust the lie of the irons for you and is inexpensive.

As for wedges, I have a bag full of them. Cleveland, callaway, Titleist is probably the more popular brands for wedges. I hate the gun metal 588 clevelands, they generate very little spin. Titleist Vokey spin mill is what I prefer, they spin like crazy and have an unmatched feel IMO. I like the oil can the best. I have not yet tried the new cg5's zip groove though I have heard good things about them. I would buy my wedges new not used. Grooves have a tendency to wear down, especially on wedges. They get used a lot.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM

I am looking for a new 3 wood. I am hitting Titleist right now but thinking of going to something different.

Might give it a try.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM

I picked up a 20* Adams new with NV shaft off ebay last year for 11.05.
I know I stole it.

Switched to Cobra Baffler 20* X-Stiff this year. Picked it up new on ebay for 48.95 W/Headcover

little jacob
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
i was just readin in golf digest about how they surveyed 87 random people about their average drive distance and then had them set up and prove it, and almost every one of them overestimated their average drive by 15-30 yards.

no one ever says 'I drive it about 200'

donkhater
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
True but you can also get the lie bent later.

Fitted is nice, though I think it matters more in a driver. Shaft selection for a driver is crusual.

I play alot of tournaments, and have a ton of tournament golfing friends. Also guys that play in collage such as MU. We buy and use clubs off of ebay all the time. You will sav enough money that you can get you some nice wedges to go with the set also. If you have a flat or upright swing, you can have a shop adjust the lie of the irons for you and is inexpensive.

As for wedges, I have a bag full of them. Cleveland, callaway, Titleist is probably the more popular brands for wedges. I hate the gun metal 588 clevelands, they generate very little spin. Titleist Vokey spin mill is what I prefer, they spin like crazy and have an unmatched feel IMO. I like the oil can the best. I have not yet tried the new cg5's zip groove though I have heard good things about them. I would buy my wedges new not used. Grooves have a tendency to wear down, especially on wedges. They get used a lot.

OK obviously you're a hell of a golfer, which explains your distances.

I agree with the shaft on the driver. When I purchased a driver this spring, I wasn't set on any brand but wanted to get the shaft right for me. Once I found the shaft that I liked and made sense for me I found that shaft on about 5-6 different clubs in the used club section at Golfsmith. I hit all of them (forever it seemd) but finally settled on a one year-old Callaway X. Cost me $115. LOVE IT. What a difference it makes when you have confidence in hitting off the tee.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
I am looking for a new 3 wood. I am hitting Titleist right now but thinking of going to something different.

Might give it a try.

Well I suck at golf but that club is my favorite. My dad does not suck at golf and by true conicidence he uses the same club. The ball really launches off the face and it is such a smooth feel. I mean literally at times I feel that if I didn't hear the club hit the ball I might not of felt it. So it is just an awesome club to just go make a good swing and it will reward you. But yet the club has great feel and control.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Wow. If you're able to hit a 3 iron well and hit a 20 degree hybird 230 then you have quite the swing speed.

If I get my 4 iron 190 I'm lucky, although that didn't use to be the case. Lately I've been noticing I've dropped a club in distance. I used to hit 150 easily with a 8 iron and now it's a no-brainer 7. I've focused more on a balanced, tempo swing. Perhaps, I've lost a little punch.

Anyway I digress. I went looking for irons this spring and tried the Callaways & Taylormade r7. But I fell in love with the Mizuno MP-25. Damn those are nice clubs. Saving up for them next season.

Which are the main keys to the swing. It doesn't matter how far you hit them as long as you know what it takes to get there. I try to stop my back swing when I feel it is at 75%. Maintain my wrist cock and hit down on the ball.

The reason most can't hit long irons is when they get it in their hands they feel the need to swing harder to get it that far. With the face not having much loft they also feel they need to help the ball in the air leading to fat or thin shots. If you ever have time while hitting balls, pull out a 4 iron, take a nice relaxed back swing with good tempo and just make a nice smooth swing, hitting down on the ball. You might be AMAZED at how far it goes. Relaxed swings with a good tempo will eventually create more club head speed then the guy next to you muscling up and tensing up all his muscles trying to show off his killer power slice LOL

petegz28
05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Which are the main keys to the swing. It doesn't matter how far you hit them as long as you know what it takes to get there. I try to stop my back swing when I feel it is at 75%. Maintain my wrist cock and hit down on the ball.

The reason most can't hit long irons is when they get it in their hands they feel the need to swing harder to get it that far. With the face not having much loft they also feel they need to help the ball in the air leading to fat or thin shots. If you ever have time while hitting balls, pull out a 4 iron, take a nice relaxed back swing with good tempo and just make a nice smooth swing, hitting down on the ball. You might be AMAZED at how far it goes. Relaxed swings with a good tempo will eventually create more club head speed then the guy next to you muscling up and tensing up all his muscles trying to show off his killer power slice LOL

The pro I worked with did the video thing and them overlaid me with Ernie Els. First off Els probably has one of the most fundamental golf swings I have ever seen. Pro shares the same opine thus the use of his swing. Anyhow what he pointed out to me was the clubhead speed was between the hips more or less.....once you begin your downswing and the club is parrallell to the ground and you begin to roll your wrists to the exact opposite position after you strike the ball was like lighting fast with Els. So basically his clubhead speed did not build up until he was actually closer to the ball. Very illuminating it was I say.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:02 PM
i was just readin in golf digest about how they surveyed 87 random people about their average drive distance and then had them set up and prove it, and almost every one of them overestimated their average drive by 15-30 yards.

no one ever says 'I drive it about 200'

SO TRUE!

Most don't realize how far 300 yards is. But most golfers say they hit drives around 300.

I use a Skycaddie SG4. It is funny as hell to show people how far they are actually hitting the ball.

Golf is a great sport, and is getting bigger every year. More people are able to afford to play with club prices going down and with more and more courses opening everyday, which keeps cost down.

In my area we are getting a bunch of kids involved. They are out thee all the time, and I love seeing it. Gives them something to do than X-Box or just getting in trouble.

donkhater
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM

I think the other part of my problem is that I always felt like I hit my 8-iron 150 but almost never hit the ball long (which means it probably never was a true 150 shot) Now that I've progressed a bit and want shorter birdie putts, I'm more aware just how short of the hole I'm hitting it. So lately I've pulled one more club than I usually would, trusted my swing and seen decent results.

At 6'1", 205 I still feel my swing speed isn't what it could be, but I hesitate to swing harder. Although I feel I'm athletic, I'm not blessed with great hand-eye coordination as some are. I tend to struggle off and on with making solid contact. Lately I've just taken the approach that it doesn't matter a lick about what club it took to get there, just that it got there is all that matters.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
The pro I worked with did the video thing and them overlaid me with Ernie Els. First off Els probably has one of the most fundamental golf swings I have ever seen. Pro shares the same opine thus the use of his swing. Anyhow what he pointed out to me was the clubhead speed was between the hips more or less.....once you begin your downswing and the club is parrallell to the ground and you begin to roll your wrists to the exact opposite position after you strike the ball was like lighting fast with Els. So basically his clubhead speed did not build up until he was actually closer to the ball. Very illuminating it was I say.

Your pro sounds like a very good one.....sometimes hard to find these days.

I am self taught, though I play with enough good golfers that we can usually line each other out when the wheels come off.

Stewie
05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
First off Els probably has one of the most fundamental golf swings I have ever seen.

I saw him at the Tom Watson tournament a few years back and TV doesn't give you the sense of how big he is. He's built like a tight end, but with broader shoulders. That's why he can swing so effortlessly and smash the ball.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Your pro sounds like a very good one.....sometimes hard to find these days.

I am self taught, though I play with enough good golfers that we can usually line each other out when the wheels come off.

Yeah he is pretty good I think. That little tidbit helped me immensely. Most people think they have to swing hard from the beginning of the downswing which is what usually leads to pulling out or coming outside in. Nice and smooth and when that club is level the the ground SNAP those wrists and extend through the swing. The energy of the swing is gone by the time the club is pointing to your target. But most people feel they have to swing hard from start to finish. I know I did.

Pablo
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM
SO TRUE!

Most don't realize how far 300 yards is. But most golfers say they hit drives around 300.

I use a Skycaddie SG4. It is funny as hell to show people how far they are actually hitting the ball.

Golf is a great sport, and is getting bigger every year. More people are able to afford to play with club prices going down and with more and more courses opening everyday, which keeps cost down.

In my area we are getting a bunch of kids involved. They are out thee all the time, and I love seeing it. Gives them something to do than X-Box or just getting in trouble.Yeah, I've heard plenty of people say..yeah I drive about 300. Then I think, wow, so you drive about the same as most pro golfers then, that's reasonable.

I'd say I probably average 225-230, but I also have a bad slice at times. If I hit it straight, I can get to 250, but I don't hit the straightest. And I find that when I don't focus on power and just try to have a nice smooth swing, I can send it 225 without much effort. Guess I'll worry about power after I really get my tempo established and feel more comfortable.

I've hit 275 at the range quite a few times, but that's after about 50 drives for practice.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I saw him at the Tom Watson tournament a few years back and TV doesn't give you the sense of how big he is. He's built like a tight end, but with broader shoulders. That's why he can swing so effortlessly and smash the ball.

Nah, as my pro pointed out he has a fundamental swing. Regardless of how effortless it looks he doesn't have a swing that as with most pros you would tell an amateur golfer to ignore.

I mean could you really tell an amatuer that chi-chi or lee-lee had swings you would want them to mimic?

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the other part of my problem is that I always felt like I hit my 8-iron 150 but almost never hit the ball long (which means it probably never was a true 150 shot) Now that I've progressed a bit and want shorter birdie putts, I'm more aware just how short of the hole I'm hitting it. So lately I've pulled one more club than I usually would, trusted my swing and seen decent results.

At 6'1", 205 I still feel my swing speed isn't what it could be, but I hesitate to swing harder. Although I feel I'm athletic, I'm not blessed with great hand-eye coordination as some are. I tend to struggle off and on with making solid contact. Lately I've just taken the approach that it doesn't matter a lick about what club it took to get there, just that it got there is all that matters.

I would stick with what your doing. Good contact is the key to consistency. And good scores are the result to consistency.

When I need the extra yards, I still swing with smooth tempo. At the bottom of my swing though, when I am really going after it, I hold my wrist cock a little longer then normal then as I come through (instead of muscling it) I try to make it feel almost like I am cracking a whip. Then making sure I have a full follow through.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 12:14 PM

1 thing to remember always...no one is paying you to play so a higher score only means you got more of your money's worth on the golf course!!! :thumb:

Stewie
05-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Nah, as my pro pointed out he has a fundamental swing. Regardless of how effortless it looks he doesn't have a swing that as with most pros you would tell an amateur golfer to ignore.

I mean could you really tell an amatuer that chi-chi or lee-lee had swings you would want them to mimic?

Where did I say he didn't have a great swing? There's a reason they call him "Big Easy." I believe his swing looks smooth and fluid because he's really strong, especially his hands (where he can increase club head speed starting about 4' before impact).

phisherman
05-27-2008, 12:25 PM
main problem with amateurs is that they don't realize that the power of the golf swing doesn't come from arms..

it comes from your hips and shoulders...i like to think of a golf swing like a karate strike, the idea is to explode THROUGH the ball, not explode TO the ball.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:27 PM
man I would like to go play, but my daughter is being admitted into the hospital with flu like symptoms. Gonna be a long couple nights in the the old Chair alongside the bed.

Pablo
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
man I would like to go play, but my daughter is being admitted into the hospital with flu like symptoms. Gonna be a long couple nights in the the old Chair alongside the bed.That sucks. I had to spend a few night like that a few weeks ago with my little boy. Best of luck, I might be able to get out there and hack at a few for ya though. :thumb:

donkhater
05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
1 thing to remember always...no one is paying you to play so a higher score only means you got more of your money's worth on the golf course!!! :thumb:

Heh-heh. I guess that's one way to look at it. I will say that 2 things have helped me tremendously the last couple years:

1. Don't get caught up on where you just hit the ball. Accept it and veiw the next shot as a challenge. It may end up being the best shot you've ever hit.

2. Short game. Much like the poster who said novices don't realize how far 300 yards is, most don't realize how bad they are around the green. I heard for YEARS that the easiest way to lower your score is to become more proficient in the short game, but I never took it to heart.

Two years ago I started keeping track of how many shots I took on and around the green (putts, chips and sand shots). Basically for 18 holes I'd have 38-40 'long shots' and 45-55 'short shots'. I started practicing my lag putting and chipping and broke 80 for the first time last year. I don't think my full swing has improved much in the last 5-10 years, but I'm scoring at least 10 strokes better in that span. All due to the short game.

BTW, It's also a lot cheaper to spend your time on the short game. You don't have to pay for a bucket of balls and spend as much time as you like on the chipping/putting greens.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree. I will say the one thing that changed my game, was I think about my swing during my pre shot routine then when i get up to the ball, it's target only NO SWING THOUGHTS. Let your practice and training take over and concentrate and focus on the target.

As far as short game. I think to many get caught up on the technique to much instead of looking at the target and FEELING the shot. Think of it as rolling a ball with your hand, just feel how far it needs to go. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

donkhater
05-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree. I will say the one thing that changed my game, was I think about my swing during my pre shot routine then when i get up to the ball, it's target only NO SWING THOUGHTS. Let your practice and training take over and concentrate and focus on the target.

As far as short game. I think to many get caught up on the technique to much instead of looking at the target and FEELING the shot. Think of it as rolling a ball with your hand, just feel how far it needs to go. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

Absolutely. The biggest improvement in my chipping came when I just attacked the pin. Before I was concerned about placing the ball on the green at the right spot. 9 times out of 10 I de-accelerated the club and duffed the shot. I realized I NEVER, EVER would hit the ball past the pin on chip shots. When I realized that, I started feeling the shot and knockin 'em close.

little jacob
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
SO TRUE!

i think most people tell you their average is 250 but that is what they did one time with the wind at their back and after they got a big bounce and a big roll and the fw was 20 yards below and a squirrel picked it up and carried it some more

petegz28
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Heh-heh. I guess that's one way to look at it. I will say that 2 things have helped me tremendously the last couple years:

1. Don't get caught up on where you just hit the ball. Accept it and veiw the next shot as a challenge. It may end up being the best shot you've ever hit.

2. Short game. Much like the poster who said novices don't realize how far 300 yards is, most don't realize how bad they are around the green. I heard for YEARS that the easiest way to lower your score is to become more proficient in the short game, but I never took it to heart.

Two years ago I started keeping track of how many shots I took on and around the green (putts, chips and sand shots). Basically for 18 holes I'd have 38-40 'long shots' and 45-55 'short shots'. I started practicing my lag putting and chipping and broke 80 for the first time last year. I don't think my full swing has improved much in the last 5-10 years, but I'm scoring at least 10 strokes better in that span. All due to the short game.

BTW, It's also a lot cheaper to spend your time on the short game. You don't have to pay for a bucket of balls and spend as much time as you like on the chipping/putting greens.

Couldn't agree more. Besides realizing they are not hitting the ball 400 yards when you get on real fairway you realize how un-straight your ballflight really is!!

And yes you can hack your way to the green but WTF when you get there? Short game is what it is all about no matter what level of golf you play. The only thing more important than the short game is putting.

Driver for show....
Putt for dough!!!

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I think finding a putter that fits you is one of the most important things you can do.

I have been using a two ball for 5 years. This year I switched to a Scotty Camron. Man I love this thing, and have been making a shit load more putts.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I think finding a putter that fits you is one of the most important things you can do.

I have been using a two ball for 5 years. This year I switched to a Scotty Camron. Man I love this thing, and have been making a shit load more putts.

Indeed. My putting stroke is a straight back-forth stroke. The putter I was using was more for an angled takewaway. Helped me a lot when I got a putter that suited my stroke better.

donkhater
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Indeed. My putting stroke is a straight back-forth stroke. The putter I was using was more for an angled takewaway. Helped me a lot when I got a putter that suited my stroke better.

Mine is straight back and through as well. Switched to a Taylormade Rossa and just felt more balanced. Later I found out why.

Hold the shaft of the putter and find the spot where you find balance between the head and the grip. If you are a straight back and through putter, you want the face of the putter to be pointing straight up to the sky. This means the heel and toe of the the putter head are the same weight and in balance. Therefore, swinging straight back and thorugh should feel easier.

If the toe of the putter dips, then you have a putter more ideally suited for a gate (arched) stroke.

petegz28
05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Mine is straight back and through as well. Switched to a Taylormade Rossa and just felt more balanced. Later I found out why.

Hold the shaft of the putter and find the spot where you find balance between the head and the grip. If you are a straight back and through putter, you want the face of the putter to be pointing straight up to the sky. This means the heel and toe of the the putter head are the same weight and in balance. Therefore, swinging straight back and thorugh should feel easier.

If the toe of the putter dips, then you have a putter more ideally suited for a gate (arched) stroke.

Yeah I replaced my putter with a nice Odyssey. Exactly how you described..even weighted, etc.

Lono
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I couldn't agree more with you all. Short game and smooth swing is the key to a better score. However there are some that can still hit it 300 yards. On par 5's i swing away and try to unload. Par 4's i just want to be 100-140 out so i can use a pw/sw. I do know what you mean though there are lots of guys i have played with that talk how long they are but then i drive right past them everytime. Played in a tournament a couple weeks ago with a kid who plays for a juco who is no doubt a better player than either I or my partner (2 man scramble). My partner is a dead straight 230 yard driver and great around the greens. So he would hit first put one in the fairway then i would just go for it. The kid got caught up in trying to outdrive me everytime and got himself into trouble all day long. Btw I have Adams Tight Lies, pretty cheap clubs and I actually hit them very well. 3-Sw driver and 5 wood. Don't hit a 3 wood.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Hell one of these days we will have to get a planet golf outing. Do some sort of scramble or something so that even the horrible golfers can enjoy themselves.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I couldn't agree more with you all. Short game and smooth swing is the key to a better score. However there are some that can still hit it 300 yards. On par 5's i swing away and try to unload. Par 4's i just want to be 100-140 out so i can use a pw/sw. I do know what you mean though there are lots of guys i have played with that talk how long they are but then i drive right past them everytime. Played in a tournament a couple weeks ago with a kid who plays for a juco who is no doubt a better player than either I or my partner (2 man scramble). My partner is a dead straight 230 yard driver and great around the greens. So he would hit first put one in the fairway then i would just go for it. The kid got caught up in trying to outdrive me everytime and got himself into trouble all day long. Btw I have Adams Tight Lies, pretty cheap clubs and I actually hit them very well. 3-Sw driver and 5 wood. Don't hit a 3 wood.

I swing smooth and can still put it out there. Hit driver off the turf from 316 on a long par 5 in a tournament the other day and was pin high just off the green. it was not up hill, and didn't get much of a bounce. I do attack down low and through the ball though.

Good contact, timing (tempo), technique, most important things to practice.

OnTheWarpath58
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
if you are serious about getting a quality set of irons that are right for you, then please do more than hit them at the Dick's test range or any indoor range for that matter.

a prior post mentioned going to a demo day. i did this last year and tried out a variety of irons, but focused mainly on Pings since that's what I've grown accustomed to. after hitting at the demo day, I was interested in the Ping I5's (a little out of your price range of $500) so I went to the local store and borrowed the demo I5's to play a round with. Most local stores who are authorized Ping dealers will let you do this...not sure what Dick's policy is.

Actually, both the Ping G5 and I5's have come down in price, and I'd HIGHLY recommend either.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=6363

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=6362

The G5's are probably better suited for your skill level.

I would absolutely take the time to visit an authorized Ping fitter/retailer and be fitted properly for irons. Even if you don't go with Ping, you can use the information to have a different brand bent to your specs.

I would avoid places like Dick's and Golf Galaxy if at all possible. Try to find a local demo day or pro shop at a higher end course - they'll take better care of you and have more knowledge than the big box stores.

And DO NOT buy a set of clubs until you've hit them OUTSIDE on the range.

Don't trust the indoor simulators.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Honestly, i'm just looking for something NEW... and I'm really excited about it

Man I wanna go play some GOLF!

petegz28
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Honestly, i'm just looking for something NEW... and I'm really excited about it

Man I wanna go play some GOLF!

Truly get your swing analyzed. You don't want to buy clubs that don't mesh with your swing. I mean I did all this and bought a great set of mizuno iron's from Nigro's for under $600. Had I walked in and picked what I thought I wanted I would of grabbed Taylor's. He had me swing a Callaway, Taylor Made, Cobra, Wilson and Mizuno. And the Mizuno fit me and my swing best.

Then I paid $100 to have them bent but that is optional. But for the low cost of it all why not get a club that at least matches up close to your swing style? Plus it eliminates the 2nd guessing on whether you should of bought the "other" clubs.

Stinger
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Hell one of these days we will have to get a planet golf outing. Do some sort of scramble or something so that even the horrible golfers can enjoy themselves.

Been done before and was a blast someone needs to get the ball rolling again.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98157

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100013

And for those who are having a tough time on the course considerer this thread.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98808

HemiEd
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

I hit just about every club offered on the market, last year at Golf Galaxy. It took several hours, swing analysis the whole bit. They helped me settle on the clubs, but would not reduce the price to a competive number.
So I bought my R7s on Ebay, love them, just love them. They are graphites, but I am an old fart. Get the R7s!

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
one good thing about all of this is whatever you decide, you will fall in love. you are going to get a HUGE upgrade.Posted via Mobile Device

donkhater
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
one good thing about all of this is whatever you decide, you will fall in love. you are going to get a HUGE upgrade.Posted via Mobile Device

Smitty!!! I just saw you are located in LaPlata. My friends and I used to go to that 9-hole course all the time when we were at Truman (NMSU back then ('91-'94). Basically where I learned to play.

My buddies were already golfers and they kept going out to play, leaving me behind, so finally I decided to give it a try. Played my first round ever on that little course with some rented clubs and was hooked. I played ready golf and picked up when I got behind, but 3 years later I was right there on the scorecard with them. Probably hit my best three iron ever on the par 5 fourth (after I squibbed the drive). I always thought #8 was a pretty little par 3.

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Smitty!!! I just saw you are located in LaPlata. My friends and I used to go to that 9-hole course all the time when we were at Truman (NMSU back then ('91-'94). Basically where I learned to play.

My buddies were already golfers and they kept going out to play, leaving me behind, so finally I decided to give it a try. Played my first round ever on that little course with some rented clubs and was hooked. I played ready golf and picked up when I got behind, but 3 years later I was right there on the scorecard with them. Probably hit my best three iron ever on the par 5 fourth (after I squibbed the drive). I always thought #8 was a pretty little par 3.

Well the course has went through tons of changes since you have played. It is now 18 holes with water coming into play on 11 holes. We added 10 more bunkers and 100's of trees. We have one hell of a greens keeper. Some of the best greens I have ever seen. If you ever make it up this way give me a shout, we will play a round. If you liked 8 you would love the new 15, 225 yard par three all carry over water. One tough SOB with wind in the face.Posted via Mobile Device

Herzig
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
If you decide to buy brand new, I would call Discount Dan's in Oregon. No Tax, free shipping, and discounted prices...most brand new sets(4-pw) can be had for $579 total with custom specs. Their number is 503-738-5248

You can get a new set of PING G5 irons there for $429 since PING just came out with the G10/I10 line....PINGS probably hold their value more than any other iron because they are indestructible.

Any used sets you can get on Ebay for pretty reasonable prices...

Like others have said....DEMO DEMO DEMO before you buy.

donkhater
05-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Well the course has went through tons of changes since you have played. It is now 18 holes with water coming into play on 11 holes. We added 10 more bunkers and 100's of trees. We have one hell of a greens keeper. Some of the best greens I have ever seen. If you ever make it up this way give me a shout, we will play a round. If you liked 8 you would love the new 15, 225 yard par three all carry over water. One tough SOB with wind in the face.Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, I'd say so. At the time it was either La Plata or Kirksville's course. Kirksville's course was $18 for the students to walk (which we thought was a lot back then). Anything over $12-15 to walk 18 was a rip off or had to be a damn good course. Amazing how prices have gone up.

Anyway---I think we played all day rate at LaPlata for $6 or $8. Play in the morning, drive back to Kirksville for lunch, play in the afternoon. I didn't mind since I was just some poor student and just starting the game anyway.

Turns out the $18 rate for the Kirksville course was an all day rate for the students too!!! (they didn't have it posted anywhere, though). Of course we found out that little tid bit two weeks before we graduated!! DOH!!!!:banghead:

Got any pics of the new layout?

smittysbar
05-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Wow, I'd say so. At the time it was either La Plata or Kirksville's course. Kirksville's course was $18 for the students to walk (which we thought was a lot back then). Anything over $12-15 to walk 18 was a rip off or had to be a damn good course. Amazing how prices have gone up.

Anyway---I think we played all day rate at LaPlata for $6 or $8. Play in the morning, drive back to Kirksville for lunch, play in the afternoon. I didn't mind since I was just some poor student and just starting the game anyway.

Turns out the $18 rate for the Kirksville course was an all day rate for the students too!!! (they didn't have it posted anywhere, though). Of course we found out that little tid bit two weeks before we graduated!! DOH!!!!:banghead:

Got any pics of the new layout?

Yeah KV probably didn't advertise on purpose. They didn't want the collage crowd at that time. The golf pro there was a complete and total DICK!

I play KV quite a bit, all of their tournaments. Great course and the new pro (Tim Crouse) is very good.

Maybe for an outing we could get one in Columbia. Seems to be a good middle ground for most. To bad we couldn't do it up here, but the 2 1/2 hour trip would turn most off I would assume.

I will try to get some new pics of the place on here.

donkhater
05-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah KV probably didn't advertise on purpose. They didn't want the collage crowd at that time. The golf pro there was a complete and total DICK!
I play KV quite a bit, all of their tournaments. Great course and the new pro (Tim Crouse) is very good.

Maybe for an outing we could get one in Columbia. Seems to be a good middle ground for most. To bad we couldn't do it up here, but the 2 1/2 hour trip would turn most off I would assume.

I will try to get some new pics of the place on here.

Yes he was. You could tell he wasn't to thrilled about giving out the information about all day play. As a person who was just starting to play golf, that gave me a stereotype about golf pros that was long to overcome.

I live out here near Indianapolis now and usually get back to Missouri once or twice a summer. Unfortunately, the wife and kids are usually in tow and we have to go all the way across the state to Maryville (where my parents live), so getting a time to play LaPlata may be a chore (altough we go through Macon on our way over--tantalizingly close). Hopefully I can get some of my old college buddies together for a reunion in Kirksville and we'll slide down and play.

In the meantime, the Mozingo course in Maryville is a really fun public course I always try to hit on my trips back, so life ain't all bad.

Buck
03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
So I eventually want to get a full set of irons too, but for now I want to go play at my local pitch and putt. I already have a putter, Sand Wedge, and Gap Wedge (all Cleveland brand, so they are decent), but I want to get a pitching wedge and 9 iron used off craigslist.

What do I need to look out for so I don't get a club that is absolute shit? I don't want to spend more than $25 a club for now, but I don't want a piece of shit that isn't going to help me at all.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2013, 09:30 PM
If you're playing a pitch-and-putt, it doesn't really matter. The best thing would be to get a matching 9-iron and PW with the same shaft model and flex so that your distances are consistent.

Lofts aren't consistent from brand to brand, or even model to model. Honestly, you'd be better off buying a 7-iron and 9-iron than a 9-iron and a wedge. It will teach you a variety of different shots and allow you to cover more distances, and the yardage gap from club to club will still be relatively consistent.

Strongside
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Taylormade burner 2.0 ....shaved 6-8 strokes off of my game easy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Total Marketing jacks up the lofts of their irons more than any other manufacturer. If you're playing a course where all the holes are under 100 yards, pass.

Buck
03-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Longest hole is 145, shortest is 95.

http://i.imgur.com/r8kpC3o.png

O.city
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Like Hamas said, I wouldn't mess with getting a 9 iron and a PW. I'd go 6/7 iron and a 9 iron. You can learn to open the blade on the 9 iron and hit a fade which would be similar to a PW in distance, or draw it to an 8 iron distance. Same with the 6/7.

When I was growing up, we would actually practice taking every other club out of the bag at times. Teaches you to shape shots and learn how to become a shotmaker.

Buck
03-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I just don't see why I'd need a 7 iron to play this course.

I played in High School but I got really fat and fell out of the game. I was figuring I would play the par 3 course for a few months before I got back into playing a real course.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Unless you can hit your driver 250+ yards, you'll need a 7 iron for the fifth hole.

Buck
03-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Unless you can hit your driver 250+ yards, you'll need a 7 iron for the fifth hole.

The pin is about 20 feet below the tee on that hole and I was hitting the green with an 8 iron in HS. I was driving 300 + too.

Don't know if I still can, but I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I was in high school.

Phobia
03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I'd buy these in a heartbeat if I played more often. Moderately used: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200178414438148&set=o.205071402967571&type=1&theater

DomerNKC
03-03-2013, 11:49 PM
golfdealsandsteals.com is one of my favorite sites. They have cheap iron sets in the closeouts section.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Buck,

I build clubs on occasion. If you'd like, you can PP me money for a couple of new iron heads and shafts from Golfsmith and I'll build the damned things for you. I can lengthen or shorten them according to your specs as well.