PDA

View Full Version : Life Stop loss

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
My son decided to get out of the Army and move on with his life. Well his out date overlaps the stop loss time frame by 8 days.

Not sure yet but it appears those eight days will turn into 19 months and a return trip to Iraq. I will not go on about what he has aready done over there but he was very lucky to get out alive. Up untill I spoke with him this weekend I thought he was free and clear.

He has went above and beyond duty, and I feel that stop loss is a slap in the face. Many of our troops have been screwed over by this and IMO it should stop.

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe I'm an idiot, but what does the "stop loss" mean?

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 09:01 AM

It means even though you are due to get out if a deployment is with in 3 months of that date they can make you stay in.

Bowser
05-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Basically, the Armed Forces, particularly those on the ground, aren't receiving enough new recruits to replace the ones that are already in Iraq/Afghanistan. Stop-Loss is a term that is used when a soldiers time commitment is up, but is not allowed to leave the military.

chasedude
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
http://patf.net/blogs/media/patf/mission_accomplished.jpg

What are you talking about? Isn't the war over?

In all seriousness, I hope your son doesn't get caught in the "loophole" the Prez has created. I respect what all branches of the armed services have done for this country but we need to bring them home.

Demonpenz
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
It sucks, it's the risk you take when you serve. We cannot thank them enough.

Deberg_1990
05-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Basically, the Armed Forces, particularly those on the ground, aren't receiving enough new recruits to replace the ones that are already in Iraq/Afghanistan. Stop-Loss is a term that is used when a soldiers time commitment is up, but is not allowed to leave the military.

back door draft.

Phobia
05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Wow. What happened to the incredibly proud father from last time the young man deployed? I know it's scary but I still want that guy back.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Wow. What happened to the incredibly proud father from last time the young man deployed? I know it's scary but I still want that guy back.
I still am and have good reason to be.

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 09:13 AM
It means even though you are due to get out if a deployment is with in 3 months of that date they can make you stay in.

Thanks to you and Bowser.

Not being a military person myself, I had no idea what it was.

morphius
05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't think there ever was a free and clear exit from the military, wouldn't he have been on 2 years inactive duty and would have been able to be called back up if they wanted to.

Though I could be wrong as I was never personally in the military myself.

Bowser
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't think there ever was a free and clear exit from the military, wouldn't he have been on 2 years inactive duty and would have been able to be called back up if they wanted to.

Though I could be wrong as I was never personally in the military myself.

When I got out, members were placed on a six year inactive reserve, meaning you could be called back in a time of war if the ranks where you specialized have run thin. I am positive that has happened with this Iraq/Afghanistan deployment over the past few years.

HemiEd
05-27-2008, 09:24 AM

New wording, same old deal it sounds like. I had them put a 90 day, operational hold, on me twice in the early 70s. I wish your son nothing but the best. :thumb:

morphius
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
6 years, wow! I think my wifes might have been shorter because she went from active to reserve and then got out. Interestingly enough she got out right after some of her group got sent to Iraq, mostly because she couldn't stand where she was working.

Redneck - Good luck to your boy, he will be in my thoughts still.

Amnorix
05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
My son decided to get out of the Army and move on with his life. Well his out date overlaps the stop loss time frame by 8 days.

Not sure yet but it appears those eight days will turn into 19 months and a return trip to Iraq. I will not go on about what he has aready done over there but he was very lucky to get out alive. Up untill I spoke with him this weekend I thought he was free and clear.

He has went above and beyond duty, and I feel that stop loss is a slap in the face. Many of our troops have been screwed over by this and IMO it should stop.

Contact your congressman/woman. If he has a wife/kids, then it will make for a compelling story, and you have a reasonable shot at succeeding.

Even without, you've got a chance.

raybec 4
05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I still am and have good reason to be.

you should be very proud, many thanks to your son and all vets and family members on this board.

raybec 4
05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
When I got out, members were placed on a six year inactive reserve, meaning you could be called back in a time of war if the ranks where you specialized have run thin. I am positive that has happened with this Iraq/Afghanistan deployment over the past few years.

These days everyone who enlists actually signs an eight year commitment. Your time of inactive reserve time is directly related to the amount of time you spend in any other capacity. I was active duty Army for 9 years, so I didn't have an inactive commitment.

They get a lot of people to sign up by offering 2 or 3 year active commits, but they still have 5 or 6 years of inactive reserve to serve out.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Contact your congressman/woman. If he has a wife/kids, then it will make for a compelling story, and you have a reasonable shot at succeeding.

Even without, you've got a chance.
My son would not allow it. He is much less upset about it than I. He would like to get out but has a sense of duty and accepts it. I on the other hand am pissed!

Amnorix
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
My son would not allow it. He is much less upset about it than I. He would like to get out but has a sense of duty and accepts it. I on the other hand am pissed!

Right. I commend his efforts on behalf of our country, but as a man with two young boys, I can certainly understand your lack of enthusiasm after he has already done his duty.

Frankly, my wife would go completely bananas.

Bowser
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Props to your son, RNR. He'll keep his head down, he knows what to do.

I'd be feeling the same way as you, if I were in your shoes. Just hang in there.

jidar
05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
This isn't new. It started with Viet-Nam and actually was one of the issues JFK ran on to get elected. They refer to it as a "back door draft".

patteeu
05-27-2008, 09:45 AM

I agree with this.

Sorry to hear that your son was impacted, RnR, but hopefully this next tour in Iraq will be considerably less hazardous than his last one.

Bowser
05-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with this.

Sorry to hear that your son was impacted, RnR, but hopefully this next tour in Iraq will be considerably less hazardous than his last one.

That's actually a good idea. Guys that are stop lossed get to patrol the base, instead of the cities, or something.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm with Bowser and Raybec here, being Stop-lossed is unfortunate, but it's really just an MTV tag that folks have applied to a long-standing Army policy to make it more dramatic. The idea of a clean break simply isn't a part of the contract.

An attorney in the area has been out of active duty for five years, they called him active and sent him to Kosovo for 6 months. He knew it was part of the deal. Another friend of mine just got back from some really nasty stuff doing joint work with the Iraqi police force (some very troubling stories). As soon as he resigned his commission, he enlisted in the reserves because he knew it at least guaranteed him a decent break and a chance to get some additional training that could let him punch his own ticket. If he didn't, he knew he'd get called back active and sent back into the morass he just left.

It's unfortunate, but it really is part of the deal. I wish your son the best of luck.

Ari Chi3fs
05-27-2008, 10:38 AM
wow. what is crazy, is I remember the post where he was JOINING the Army. Damn time flies around here.

Radar Chief
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
These days everyone who enlists actually signs an eight year commitment. Your time of inactive reserve time is directly related to the amount of time you spend in any other capacity. I was active duty Army for 9 years, so I didn't have an inactive commitment.

They get a lot of people to sign up by offering 2 or 3 year active commits, but they still have 5 or 6 years of inactive reserve to serve out.

That's how it worked when I served.
Not that stop loss doesn’t suck.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
wow. what is crazy, is I remember the post where he was JOINING the Army. Damn time flies around here.

You must have a new username, what was your old one ?

Ari Chi3fs
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
King Ari Chi3fs.

Redrum_69
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Is your son's name Ryan Phillippe?

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
King Ari Chi3fs.

Ok now I know who you are, I take long beaks from here and name changes throw me off. You always seemed cool to me but you must have pissed someone off lol

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Is your son's name Ryan Phillippe?

No

StcChief
05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah. RnR 'Stop Loss' is a backdoor draft,
We just need to Bring back the Front door draft,

Braincase
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I thank your son for his service. Unfortunately, our soldiers don't get to choose their leaders.

Mizzou_8541
05-27-2008, 11:39 AM

I can not speak for the Army, but the Marine Corps almost ALWAYS kept the stop-loss guys stateside. Everyone I talked while in the Marine Corps who was stopped loss usually filled in for admin-pogue types while they went to Iraq. Again, this is what the Marine Corp did. I can only imagine that it a D.O.D.-wide policy or at least suggestion.

Mizzou_8541
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Or actually anytime, really. I can't quote all the specifics but when I reenlisted and a lot of my friends didn't, they were stop lossed...while in Hawaii.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I can not speak for the Army, but the Marine Corps almost ALWAYS kept the stop-loss guys stateside. Everyone I talked while in the Marine Corps who was stopped loss usually filled in for admin-pogue types while they went to Iraq. Again, this is what the Marine Corp did. I can only imagine that it a D.O.D.-wide policy or at least suggestion.

It is all a maybe right but not looking good, the way I understand it is he will be held for redeployment in november.

Mizzou_8541
05-27-2008, 11:58 AM
It is all a maybe right but not looking good, the way I understand it is he will be held for redeployment in november.

I am very sorry to hear that. I certainly hopes it works out where he can come home and move on, however, I will say that as an infantry Marine who served two tours in Fallujah, you really do know how to stay safe after you have been there and done that. It becomes second nature almost.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. I certainly hopes it works out where he can come home and move on, however, I will say that as an infantry Marine who served two tours in Fallujah, you really do know how to stay safe after you have been there and done that. It becomes second nature almost.

Thank you for your service! I will also say that the main reason my son was not killed or injured was having top equipment the two times the trucks he and his unit was in hit IEDs the V built underneath save their ass. Marines are under equiped most of the time, but that is a topic for another thread. Thanks again!

Lbedrock1
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM

The problem is we dont try. I think every verteran in this country deserves to have a home paid for by the government. There should be a 120,000 dollar thank you voucher given to all verterans who have served this country and are honorably discharge. I keep hearing people say we cant thank them enough while some of them are losing houses. No veteran who has serve this country should be without shelter to call there own, but we have so many greedy people they would rather spend that tax money on businesses that will contribute it back to them thruogh campaign contributions. We can say thanks to our veterans a whole lot more by giving them a voucher that allows them to pay for a home. For those that risk their lives for this country what's a 120,000 dollars and if they want a bigger house they take out a loan for the rest. Stop talking and start doing for those that make sure you can wake in peace and not peaces.

DJJasonp
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
The problem is we dont try. I think every verteran in this country deserves to have a home paid for by the government. There should be a 120,000 dollar thank you voucher given to all verterans who have served this country and are honorably discharge. I keep hearing people say we cant thank them enough while some of them are losing houses. No veteran who has serve this country should be without shelter to call there own, but we have so many greedy people they would rather spend that tax money on businesses that will contribute it back to them thruogh campaign contributions. We can say thanks to our veterans a whole lot more by giving them a voucher that allows them to pay for a home. For those that risk their lives for this country what's a 120,000 dollars and if they want a bigger house they take out a loan for the rest. Stop talking and start doing for those that make sure you can wake in peace and not peaces.

Couldnt agree more with you.....but in reality, it's almost the opposite...predatory lenders take advantage of military personnel whenever they can.

The truth is....everyone should be rolling out the red carpet for those that have served.

Otter
05-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I'll avoid politics of the matter and just say give you boy a hearty handshake for me.

I'm damn proud of him.

RedNeckRaider
05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll avoid politics of the matter and just say give you boy a hearty handshake for me.

I'm damn proud of him.

Thanks and this was just a rant to let off some steam. I did not intend for politics to enter it.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM

You've got yourself a man's man. Congratulations, you raised him right. I hope he doesn't have to go back. You tell him the Flopnut household salutes him with the highest regard either way.

Hog Farmer
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I sure can understand how you feel. I do think we are gonna be there for a long, long time and we should be. We are making a lot of progress and the CIA is pushing hard to get Bin Laden. If our next pres starts pulling troops it will not be good. But I do hope your boy stays safe and does get to come on home.

Fish
05-27-2008, 02:33 PM
You've got yourself a man's man. Congratulations, you raised him right. I hope he doesn't have to go back. You tell him the Flopnut household salutes him with the highest regard either way.

LMAO

I'm sure many soldiers would take comfort in knowing that the "Flopnuts household" is pulling for them.......

At least they'll get a chuckle out of it....

Mizzou_8541
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM

I have been "out" of the Marine Corps for a bit over a year, and I still have people telling me how appreciative they are of my (former) service. I can not explain to you how much that means to me, just a simple thank you. Probably what I appreciated the most was, while in Iraq after returning from a 5-day patrol or mission, would come back to the base and find mail waiting for us from a random elementary school in the states. All of us would get a big kick and morale boost from the short thank you's, drawing's, and best wishes from these 8 or 10 year old kids. We would hang them up all over the wall where we slept when we weren't out on a mission. It was amazing how quick a card from a 2nd grader could improve our mood and morale no matter how bad things were at the time. Many times I when things were tough and I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I could turn to those cards and letters to put things back in perspective and refocus on why I volunteered for this.

Regardless, I can speak for all veterans when I say that we COMPLETELY appreciate ALL the "thank you's" we get from all of you.

Former Staff Sergeant
USMC
Scout/Sniper

JohninGpt
05-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Wow, $120K sounds great. I just retired from the Navy and was refused a home loan. My credit is spotless, but when I applied I was still (and technically still am) on active duty, but could not show employment for the next 12 months. I had to sign a 12 month lease.
I plan to buy a place when my lease expires, and I'm drawing my retirement/disability pay, and pay for whatever civilian employment I find (I still have two months of leave to burn).

Pitt Gorilla
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I have been "out" of the Marine Corps for a bit over a year, and I still have people telling me how appreciative they are of my (former) service. I can not explain to you how much that means to me, just a simple thank you. Probably what I appreciated the most was, while in Iraq after returning from a 5-day patrol or mission, would come back to the base and find mail waiting for us from a random elementary school in the states. All of us would get a big kick and morale boost from the short thank you's, drawing's, and best wishes from these 8 or 10 year old kids. We would hang them up all over the wall where we slept when we weren't out on a mission. It was amazing how quick a card from a 2nd grader could improve our mood and morale no matter how bad things were at the time. Many times I when things were tough and I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I could turn to those cards and letters to put things back in perspective and refocus on why I volunteered for this.

Regardless, I can speak for all veterans when I say that we COMPLETELY appreciate ALL the "thank you's" we get from all of you.

Former Staff Sergeant
USMC
Scout/SniperI think I must have some dust in my eye.

My dad never would talk about his service in WWII, but I know that having loved ones back home helped get him through his time (what little feedback he received). Thanks for all that you've done.

Fish
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Slightly off topic, but I was shown this a short while back, and wondered if there was anything to it.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/shortmovie.php

If I do this, will the average military Joe know what the hell I'm trying to convey, or will they just think I'm using drunk sign language? If they would understand, I'd like to employ it.

Thanks...

Brock
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM

What if they don't want a house?

Joie
05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Thank you to your son RedNeckRaider, and to all of those who have served our country during this and previous wars. I can't explain how much it means to know that you are willing to give your lives for our freedom.

RedNeckRaider, please keep us updated on your son's status. I understand that you won't want to post his name, but please consider posting an address so we can have our kids send drawings and so that we might send care packages. In fact, if anyone has a general address I would love to have it.

Again, Thank you.

crazycoffey
05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Slightly off topic, but I was shown this a short while back, and wondered if there was anything to it.

If I do this, will the average military Joe know what the hell I'm trying to convey, or will they just think I'm using drunk sign language? If they would understand, I'd like to employ it.

Thanks...

I would, because I've seen this movie, but not everyone has probably seen this....

Mizzou_8541
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks...

Honestly, I'm not sure how many Marines/soldiers, etc. would know what that meant. I probably wouldn't have if it were just the sign.

Micjones
05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
God be with your son RNR. I pray he returns quickly and safely.

It's deeply saddening that people's sons and daughters are risking their lives unnecessarily in the name of freedom. I respect and admire their service regardless. I just wish they weren't in harm's way for all the wrong reasons.

ChieflySpeaking
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks and this was just a rant to let off some steam. I did not intend for politics to enter it.

Good luck to your son and your family.

mdstu
05-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I would advise any soldier that is leaving active duty with less than 8 years total service to search out a recently deployed reserve/national guard unit and sign up. You would be surprised just how many cluster@#$% units there are in Iraq made up of 80-90% IRR soldiers.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
It sucks, it's the risk you take when you serve.
ya ........ right :rolleyes:

cuz on the front of the recruitment office it says "check out anytime you like but you can't ever leave"

mdstu
05-27-2008, 11:00 PM
ya ........ right :rolleyes:

cuz on the front of the recruitment office it says "check out anytime you like but you can't ever leave"

It doesn't say that on the front of the office, but it does say that on every contract that every soldier signs.