PDA

View Full Version : Computers XP Pro Question

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm too lazy to do the google search for this because I'm cleaning up some water in my basement.......I HATE YOU WATER......anyway, is there anyway to lock or password protect a specific folder on your shared computer?

I've got one computer that I want to essentially keep anyone out of this folder without having to password each specific file.

Any idea's?

PS.....no, there will be no pron in it.

QuikSsurfer
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Do you share one account (login) or have multiple ones?

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Do you share one account (login) or have multiple ones?

Eh, in this case it would be everyone using the same log in.

DaFace
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
As far as I know, the only way to do this without some third-party solution would be to compress (zip) the folder, then add a password to it. Otherwise, you'd need separate log-ins.

QuikSsurfer
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
You're not going to be able to password protect a specific folder unless you want to download a third party app.
This wouldn't be a problem if you were setup on a DOMAIN but I'd suggest creating other user logins for whoever else is using the computer and just set the permissions on the folder.

Mr. Plow
05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
You're not going to be able to password protect a specific folder unless you want to download a third party app.
This wouldn't be a problem if you were setup on a DOMAIN but I'd suggest creating other user logins for whoever else is using the computer and just set the permissions on the folder.

That's kind of what I thought. We are migrating everything over to our server, so everyone will have their own logins anyway.

Thanks!