View Full Version : Video Games Fallout 3

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Frazod
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Cool, found this video from slackjaw.

(minor spoilers)

Nice gun/infinate caps...

<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZAa93daFiw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>

Nice find. :thumb:

Mecca
12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Ah I'm not gonna do that, that defeats the challenge...

If you want to have some fun do the Reillys Rangers quest.

Rausch
12-30-2008, 03:15 AM
Ah I'm not gonna do that, that defeats the challenge...

If you want to have some fun do the Reillys Rangers quest.

Right now I'm fighting a losing battle between ammo/upkeep on my weapons and income. By the time I think I'm making money I'm out of ammo and my $#it needs fixed and I'm about $100 less afterwards than I was before the slaughterfest.

J Diddy
12-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Right now I'm fighting a losing battle between ammo/upkeep on my weapons and income. By the time I think I'm making money I'm out of ammo and my $#it needs fixed and I'm about $100 less afterwards than I was before the slaughterfest.

I'm telling you. Complete the android quest and you will receive a badass one shot two kills plasma rifle. oh yeah, and get the scrounger perk.

Rausch
12-30-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm telling you. Complete the android quest and you will receive a badass one shot two kills plasma rifle. oh yeah, and get the scrounger perk.

I'm still on quests revolving around Megaton. Most RPG's you can go fight a fuckload of creatures and level up. I tried that and found out it costs a ton of money. Big fail.

Now I'm damned near broke and I'm trying to score a mine for that ditz at the shop, only every time I get near one it blows up in my face...

J Diddy
12-30-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm still on quests revolving around Megaton. Most RPG's you can go fight a ****load of creatures and level up. I tried that and found out it costs a ton of money. Big fail.

Now I'm damned near broke and I'm trying to score a mine for that ditz at the shop, only every time I get near one it blows up in my face...

sneak while holding your gun at about a 45 degree angle

always aim for the head in vats
don't take the shot unless it's over 50 percent

head shots got a 2x multiplier on criticals

Rausch
12-30-2008, 03:48 AM
sneak while holding your gun at about a 45 degree angle

always aim for the head in vats
don't take the shot unless it's over 50 percent

head shots got a 2x multiplier on criticals

My problem is:

A) Out of long range ammo
B) Gun is so degraded it's not accurate enough to shoot Burress from his pocket
C) $#IT jumps out on me and I'm out of shotgun/machine gun ammo
D) I go into an area I'm completely unprepared for and barely escape with my life...

J Diddy
12-30-2008, 03:53 AM
My problem is:

A) Out of long range ammo
B) Gun is so degraded it's not accurate enough to shoot Burress from his pocket
C) $#IT jumps out on me and I'm out of shotgun/machine gun ammo
D) I go into an area I'm completely unprepared for and barely escape with my life...

D is probably the clincher.

This game is a strategy on ammo conservation.

Just out of curiousity what's your small gun skill level at?

***EDIT***

your buress references was brilliant....

Alas I am but too slow.

Rausch
12-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Just out of curiousity what's your small gun skill level at?

I'm at lvl 5 or 6 now...

Mecca
12-30-2008, 04:30 AM
I'm up to level 14 and now I got money because I got the law bringer perk, yea!

J Diddy
12-30-2008, 04:56 AM

I'm at lvl 5 or 6 now...

that's your problem

you're hitting them with bullets but you got pussy bullets

put some stank on it

Fried Meat Ball!
12-30-2008, 05:54 AM
That was easy. Just had to up my Explosives to 25 or above.

Wow, life sure is easier with your own pad.

And are the themes or whatever worth buying? Jukebox? I figured no (I'm roll'n with about $450 at the moment) but worth checking.

I'm also having a hard time finding places (outside Megaton) to buy ammo. I've been killing Raiders so I can strip their dead bodies for loot but I'm running through ammo...
At this point, the themes aren't worth it.

It IS worth it to buy the infirmary. You'll be able to heal all rads, all broken bones and wounds. You can do the latter two just by sleeping, but being able to rid yourself of all rads is nice. That way, you can sell all your Rad-Away. It'll add up.

As a matter of purpose, this second go around, I sell every bit of food except Nuka Cola, Quantum, Purified Water and Blood Packs. I purchase all 5.56 mm, 5 mm and .308 ammo, and all stimpaks I come across.

I've also found that playing on Hard is actually easier in the game management than playing on easy... there's more guns, ammo and armor to be had, which makes collecting money easier.

Cave Johnson
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Terrific game, anticlimatic ending.

Plus, I cant' get the Science and Head of State achievements due to bugs. Not good.

Frazod
12-30-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm playing through the third time, and I still haven't finished it - I start to get bored with it once my character gets too powerful.

Midnight_Vulture
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Look at you grown ass men playing a game designed for children...pathetic.

Swanman
12-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Look at you grown ass men playing a game designed for children...pathetic.

Bitter that you didn't steal a laptop capable of running Fallout 3?

Midnight_Vulture
12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I have never even heard of the game before you virgin tool.

Rausch
12-31-2008, 03:01 AM
At least one of you @$$holes could have told me not to pick the lock on the armory in Megaton.

I just lost a hour an' a half mission because suddenly half the fucking town is throwing lead, lazers, and blunt objects at me....FUCK!!!!!!

J Diddy
12-31-2008, 03:23 AM
At least one of you @$$holes could have told me not to pick the lock on the armory in Megaton.

I just lost a hour an' a half mission because suddenly half the ****ing town is throwing lead, lazers, and blunt objects at me....****!!!!!!

I'll do you one better. Save the game before you do something crazy.

Rausch
12-31-2008, 03:42 AM
I'll do you one better. Save the game before you do something crazy.

I've already robbed half the damned town. There isn't so much as a ****ing toothbrush left on a shelf in Megaton. Nothing happens as long as there isn't a witness and half the time when there is it takes little effort to decapitate them.

Suddenly I turn a doorknob and the 5th ****ing ring of hell opens up and force-sodomizes me with every form of projectile in that $3ithole.

Once I've deactivated the bomb can I RE-activate it and validify that loony douchebag's cult of a religion?...

Mecca
12-31-2008, 03:45 AM
No you can't once you deactivate it, it's dead for good.

I went to the republic of dave and didn't come back fast enough and they tried to kill me so I killed all of them, took Daves gun ol painless and lost no Karma doing it.

Rausch
12-31-2008, 03:47 AM
No you can't once you deactivate it, it's dead for good.

Ok then.

Is it possible to kill/sell into slavery everyone in the damned town save the gal writing the book, the gal at the eatery, and....well, that's it.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 03:51 AM
I dunno, I'm playing through as a high end good Karma person right now...hell I spent my time tonight leveling up by killing raiders and selling their fingers for caps.

The best guns I have are ol painless and the gun sydney gave me after I gave her the halotape.

J Diddy
12-31-2008, 04:13 AM
Ok then.

Is it possible to kill/sell into slavery everyone in the damned town save the gal writing the book, the gal at the eatery, and....well, that's it.

you can go to paradise falls and become a slaver

J Diddy
12-31-2008, 04:15 AM
I dunno, I'm playing through as a high end good Karma person right now...hell I spent my time tonight leveling up by killing raiders and selling their fingers for caps.

The best guns I have are ol painless and the gun sydney gave me after I gave her the halotape.

thats a badass gun

one of the best in the game

jiveturkey
12-31-2008, 07:25 AM
I started off playing nice but once I cleared all of the survival guide missions I blew up Megaton and have been a bastard ever since.

I tried talking everyone in Tennpenny into allowing the ghouls in. If they refused I killed them and took their stuff and there's some good stuff in there. I wish that I would have taken a bunch of stuff from Megaton before I blew it up though. Either way I have a shit ton of cash and ammo.

Who are these Renegade queers that are showing up now? Is it because I'm a bastard? The Tennpenny security armor and the combat shot gun make quick work of them.

Now I'm just checking out the Southwest corner of the map.

jiveturkey
12-31-2008, 07:25 AM

How are you getting their fingers off?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-31-2008, 07:44 AM
How are you getting their fingers off?

It's a perk. There's one for being a good guy (Lawbringer) and something else for being a bad guy.

Makes it so whenever you kill a good or bad guy, their finger is in their inventory. You can take the finger and sell it to a buyer, who will give you caps for each finger.

QuikSsurfer
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
It's a perk. There's one for being a good guy (Lawbringer) and something else for being a bad guy.

Makes it so whenever you kill a good or bad guy, their finger is in their inventory. You can take the finger and sell it to a buyer, who will give you caps for each finger.

I forget the name of this perk, but I got it. Instead of fingers it's ears.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Ol Painless is nice, but Lincoln's Repeater is even better.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Ol Painless is nice, but Lincoln's Repeater is even better.

I'm a big fan of Eugene.

You get Eugene in the Riley's Rangers quest.

Claynus
12-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Why the PC kicks ass:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6711/renowip002ux8pa7.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Fishpicker
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Why the PC kicks ass:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6711/renowip002ux8pa7.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

that looks way better on PC than it does on any console, most games are like that though.

Claynus
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not talking about the graphics. That's a WIP mod. Fallout Reno.

Fishpicker
12-31-2008, 11:07 PM
i have mixed feelings about the mods... I tried quite a few with ES:Oblivion. some make the game cosmetics more interesting, most make the game way too easy, and 1 in 1000 make a legitimate improvement.

the reno thing has been done before... for Fallout 2

Claynus
12-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, this is a new environment, with new quests.

I agree some of the mods that make the game too easy are retarded.

Fishpicker
12-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, this is a new environment, with new quests.

I agree some of the mods that make the game too easy are retarded.

new, as in completely new? or are they just redoing the Reno mod?

Claynus
12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Probably redoing the Reno mod. What was it like in F2?

Fishpicker
12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
well, it was isometric like diablo-type games

I only played it for a bit. but i do remember the same buildings with that exact Reno sign.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-2-restoration-project/images/new-reno

Rausch
01-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm doing the quest now where I have to find the kid "The Family" stole after killing their parents.

I looked all 3 places the old sherrif suggested. Do I have to wait until nightfall?

And where do I get the key for the jail cell in the cave-hideout place?...

Fishpicker
01-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm doing the quest now where I have to find the kid "The Family" stole after killing their parents.

I looked all 3 places the old sherrif suggested. Do I have to wait until nightfall?

And where do I get the key for the jail cell in the cave-hideout place?...

did you already kill the ghouls at the station?

Rausch
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
did you already kill the ghouls at the station?

The station?

Oh, you mean the underground tunnel by the grocery store? Yeah. All dead.

Same with the hideaway in the cave. Took out everything. As far as I know anyway...

Claynus
01-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Rausch...just explore this wiki:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3

Fishpicker
01-01-2009, 12:31 AM
The station?

Oh, you mean the underground tunnel by the grocery store? Yeah. All dead.

Same with the hideaway in the cave. Took out everything. As far as I know anyway...

the ghouls will tell you how to find the family if you give them sugar bombs.
just keep looking around in there, you'll find it.

Adept Havelock
01-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Eugene.

You get Eugene in the Riley's Rangers quest.

I took the Armor, because I didn't have Power Armor training. After Tranquility Lane, I left the main quest for a long time. There is also a very nice Gatling Laser in the Deathclaw Sanctuary near Raven Rock.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm a friggin' HUGE fan of the Terrible Shotgun.

The combat shotguns have always been my favorite... just found this bad boy. It has the highest base damage of all weapons in the Small Guns category.

jiveturkey
01-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I took the Armor, because I didn't have Power Armor training. After Tranquility Lane, I left the main quest for a long time. There is also a very nice Gatling Laser in the Deathclaw Sanctuary near Raven Rock.
How the F are you clearing out Deathclaws? They seem to be the one thing that I can't get past.

88TG88
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Is this game really that good ? Like on a scale of 1-10 how would it rate ?

J Diddy
01-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Is this game really that good ? Like on a scale of 1-10 how would it rate ?

Adept Havelock
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
How the F are you clearing out Deathclaws? They seem to be the one thing that I can't get past.

I'm level 20 with the "Grim Reaper Sprint", "Commando", "Marksman", "Wired Reflexes", and "Action Boy" perks. I've got enough VATS points to kill just about anything in 3-4 headshots.

That, and Harkness from Rivet City gave me a sweet Plasma Rifle for "The Replicated Man" quest, right before I sold him out to the guy from the Commonwealth for the "Wired Reflexes" perk. Between that and Lincoln's Repeater, I'm having very little trouble with anything.

88TG88
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM

What game is it comparable to ?

J Diddy
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
What game is it comparable to ?

oblivion, but higher tech

J Diddy
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm level 20 with the "Grim Reaper Sprint", "Commando", "Marksman", "Wired Reflexes", and "Action Boy" perks. I've got enough VATS points to kill just about anything in 3-4 headshots.

That, and Harkness from Rivet City gave me a sweet Plasma Rifle for "The Replicated Man" quest, right before I sold him out to the guy from the Commonwealth for the "Wired Reflexes" perk. Between that and Lincoln's Repeater, I'm having very little trouble with anything.

shoot that plasma gun evaporates mutants with 1 head shot. I love it, not quite 20 yet, but it's my goal to get all the misc quests done before I start the main one.

Claynus
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM

The first time I saw a Deathclaw I nearly shit my pants. I got the drop on it as I exited a subway. It had it's back turned. I immediately VATS'd it and just pounded it's thigh as hard as I could. It limped toward me as I pumped it full of lead until if finally keeled over.

QuikSsurfer
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Bottlecap mines work great

Fried Meat Ball!
01-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Build a dart gun. One shot from a dart gun will cripple both its legs, which will slow those fuckers down big time. Crippling their legs is the key, if you ask me.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Holy. Shit.

Anyone picked up the Experimental MIRV? Got it down in the bunker of the National Guard Depot. Fucker shoots eight... EIGHT... mini nukes at a time.

PBJ

J Diddy
01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Build a dart gun. One shot from a dart gun will cripple both its legs, which will slow those ****ers down big time. Crippling their legs is the key, if you ask me.

that's the ticket

Claynus
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Holy. Shit.

Anyone picked up the Experimental MIRV? Got it down in the bunker of the National Guard Depot. Fucker shoots eight... EIGHT... mini nukes at a time.

PBJ

Yeah it was fun for awhile...but I think it's just overkill. One nuke is all I really need if that. With my gatling laser and power armor I'm pretty much already a badass. :evil:

Fried Meat Ball!
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah it was fun for awhile...but I think it's just overkill. One nuke is all I really need if that. With my gatling laser and power armor I'm pretty much already a badass. :evil:

I'm pretty much a badass too, except I'm sporting the Tesla Armor.

But I hadn't found the Experimental MIRV until this morning.

Claynus
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty much a badass too, except I'm sporting the Tesla Armor.

But I hadn't found the Experimental MIRV until this morning.

Get the T51b power armor and no one will touch you. It's part of a quest from a ghoul in the undercity. He asks you to go take out these dudes, and they all have keys to this base.

Adept Havelock
01-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Get the T51b power armor and no one will touch you. It's part of a quest from a ghoul in the undercity. He asks you to go take out these dudes, and they all have keys to this base.

It's great armor, but I haven't been able to use any of the other armor types to repair it.

Von Dumbass
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I never could get power armor training. I went to the Citadel and the guy says I have to get approval from Elder Lyons but he wouldn't let me inside to talk to him.

Claynus
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I never could get power armor training. I went to the Citadel and the guy says I have to get approval from Elder Lyons but he wouldn't let me inside to talk to him.

Continue the main quest until you get inside the citadel.

Frazod
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Cool, found this video from slackjaw.

(minor spoilers)

Nice gun/infinate caps...

<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZAa93daFiw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>

BTW, this did NOT work. Perhaps the patch I downloaded corrected it. Oh well. I'm far beyond using any sort of non-energy weapon at this point anyway.

J Diddy
01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Oh, the results of a little karma study I did. I was at the bottom of the barrel as far as karma goes. Killed, stole, picked locks, hacked computers oh yeah and blow up megaton.

You know what it took me to get positive? 14 purified waters to the bum outside of rivet city and 5 $100 donations to the church.

See you can be a reckless hellion and still get the good guy ending.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 02:44 AM
BTW, this did NOT work. Perhaps the patch I downloaded corrected it. Oh well. I'm far beyond using any sort of non-energy weapon at this point anyway.

It worked for me frazod. I didn't download any patch or anything though.
I got 175 of those gun's. Stock piled most of them to sell later. And using that gun for 80 percent of my kills now.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
It worked for me frazod. I didn't download any patch or anything though.
I got 175 of those gun's. Stock piled most of them to sell later. And using that gun for 80 percent of my kills now.

it worked for me as well and mine's patched automatically via xbox live

those guns are okay but i'm more of a shotgun/plasma rifle kind of guy

Mecca
01-05-2009, 03:25 AM
it worked for me as well and mine's patched automatically via xbox live

those guns are okay but i'm more of a shotgun/plasma rifle kind of guy

The Enclave guys have the best stuff...

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
The Enclave guys have the best stuff...

not even close, the plasma rifle from harkness is the best in the game

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 04:30 AM
I made a deal and let the ghouls take over Tenpenny towers.

This ghoul dude gave me a mask so i can mix among the other ghouls without them killing me.

So i looted the place from top to bottom.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 04:35 AM
I made a deal and let the ghouls take over Tenpenny towers.

This ghoul dude gave me a mask so i can mix among the other ghouls without them killing me.

So i looted the place from top to bottom.

yeah the mask is bad ass. What's really great is you can get close to the ghouls with a shotgun and then blast their ass. No surprises. I wound up convincing the others to let them in and then they got their come uppin's. Poor bastards. But I killed roy, his bitch and his buddy and the rest all skipped town.

The best part of that is when I fast travel there I don't need to hit the intercom for the gate. It's always open now. Damn that annoyed me.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
yeah the mask is bad ass. What's really great is you can get close to the ghouls with a shotgun and then blast their ass. No surprises. I wound up convincing the others to let them in and then they got their come uppin's. Poor bastards. But I killed roy, his bitch and his buddy and the rest all skipped town.

The best part of that is when I fast travel there I don't need to hit the intercom for the gate. It's always open now. Damn that annoyed me.

Yeah, i am going to kill all the ghouls soon enough.

I'm just finished up Rielly's Rangers (again) i started over. Level 11 right now.

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I went back to the main quest because I seem to be running out of side quests or at least I'm not finding them.

I want to make sure that I'm not going so far into the main quest that I'm going to finish the game since I'm sure that I'll pick up some new story lines along the way.

SPOILER!!!! Highlight to read and feel free to respond via PM.

I found pops and saved him from vault 112 and now we're at the Jefferson Memorial fixing the place up. How close am I?

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I like Sydney's Ultra gun fine. I've been using that solely.

It took five trips to make it back to my house with all those guns. And then some goons kept attacking me, so i got theirs as well.

I cleaned out all the DC mall with just that.

Plus i have small gun perks also.

Von Dumbass
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM
not even close, the plasma rifle from harkness is the best in the game

I never met up with Harkness but the Enclave guys have Plasma Pistols/Rifles and Plasma grenades and mines.:eek:

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I found pops and saved him from vault 112 and now we're at the Jefferson Memorial fixing the place up. How close am I?

jiveturkey, you're still a ways. You're getting very close when...

... you get kidnapped and taken to Raven Rock, which explodes as you leave it. On another note, make sure to find the bobblehead while you're in Raven Rock. You won't be able to get it later.

I wouldn't go past that point if you want to do more quests prior to finishing the game.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM

I always kept my energy weapon skills pretty low because the weapons aren't that plentiful.

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I always kept my energy weapon skills pretty low because the weapons aren't that plentiful.I've taken a liking to the laser riffle. I use it along with the Chinese AR and the Combat Shotgun. I don't really need anything else.

I'm interested in finding this Plasma Riffle though. It sounds pretty sweet.

I've kept my big gun skills down because they don't seem to do much more than my favs and they weigh a ton. I have a couple tucked away in my safe just in case.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I always kept my energy weapon skills pretty low because the weapons aren't that plentiful.

Later in the game they are - especially after you advance past the initial encounter with the Enclave guys at the Jefferson Memorial. After that, you'll run into them in numerous locations throughout the area. The armored troops carry either laser or plasma rifles, and the officers carry plasma pistols.

I quit building up my small guns skill fairly early in game.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
You guys are kickin' the crap out of me. I'm still trying to find the damn radio tower in the Galaxy News Radio mission. LOL.

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I quit building up my small guns skill fairly early in game.What did you start focusing on?

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Later in the game they are - especially after you advance past the initial encounter with the Enclave guys at the Jefferson Memorial. After that, you'll run into them in numerous locations throughout the area. The armored troops carry either laser or plasma rifles, and the officers carry plasma pistols.

I quit building up my small guns skill fairly early in game.

Meh. My current guy is 100 in both big guns and small guns. I'm pretty happy with my Terrible Shotgun.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
What did you start focusing on?

Energy weapons. At this point, the only guns I carry are the plasma rifle from Harkness and the alien blaster for really sticky situations. I don't bother with rifles, shotguns or any of the heavy stuff, although the gatling laser is pretty badass.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Meh. My current guy is 100 in both big guns and small guns. I'm pretty happy with my Terrible Shotgun.

Meh to your meh. :p The shotgun's range is too limited.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Where's the radio tower in relation to Du Pont Circle?

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
The Alien gun is the best by far, but limited ammo.

That said the Plasma gun is second. The Miniguns are too heavy to carry around. Assault rifles aren't all that good. Chinese is a good rifle overall.

The Missile Launcher is good for a few of them in a group.

Bottlecap mine is best mines.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh, here's a warning for those who use followers - do NOT let your follower use/carry any of the cool custom weapons, as they will occasionally drop them without comment. I equipped Jericho with the badass custom Chinese assault rifle, and it just disappeared from his inventory at some point. :banghead:

Frazod
01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
The Alien gun is the best by far, but limited ammo.

Supposedly, if you get your luck up really high, UFOs will randomly crash, and you can get more ammo for the gun at the new crashsites. But I haven't personally seen that happen yet.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Fawkes walked around with me for a long time.

Then i noticed he stopped following me and then it said he died.(?)
He was great for a walking backpack.

The dog followed me for about 20 minutes and then it said he died. i have no idea why.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Supposedly, if you get your luck up really high, UFOs will randomly crash, and you can get more ammo for the gun at the new crashsites. But I haven't personally seen that happen yet.

My luck is at 8. There is a perk that says it gives you the equivilent of 5 luck points. Forgot what the perk was.

Should i get that perk?

Frazod
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Fawkes walked around with me for a long time.

Then i noticed he stopped following me and then it said he died.(?)
He was great for a walking backpack.

The dog followed me for about 20 minutes and then it said he died. i have no idea why.

The followers are stupid - they'll run off and engage enemies without you and get killed.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
My luck is at 8. There is a perk that says it gives you the equivilent of 5 luck points. Forgot what the perk was.

Should i get that perk?

I think that only applies to targeting.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
The followers are stupid - they'll run off and engage enemies without you and get killed.

Yeah, Fawkes did that a lot.

I would have to tell him to wait there a few times or he would get us in a sh*t storm.

BTW, have you ever tried to kill Fawkes on purpose? I dropped all my mines around him stood back and fired all my heavy weapons at him and he was still alive!

Plus i told him to quit following me.

He just stood there and took it like the monster he is.

HC_Chief
01-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Meh to your meh. :p The shotgun's range is too limited.

Agreed... but it's great for tunnel-dwellers and clearing buildings.

My personal favorite = Abe Lincoln's repeater. In VATS that thing is a decapitator.

Kraus
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
So I just got the game, any advice or anything I should be aware of before I start?

Frazod
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
So I just got the game, any advice or anything I should be aware of before I start?

My advice is to put points into lockpicking, sneaking and small guns early - you can build up other skills later. Also, decide whether you want to be good or evil early on and stick to it.

One of the first places you may want to hit, even before heading into Megaton, is the Springvale Elementary School, which is loaded with raiders. You can practice your sneaking skills, kill them off and get some weapons.

Also, you'll find bobblehead dolls at various places throughout the game - picking them up will either raise your base stats or your skills. The first one is in Vault 101 in dad's office - grab it before leaving (that one raises your medical ability).

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
My advice is to put points into lockpicking, sneaking and small guns early - you can build up other skills later. Also, decide whether you want to be good or evil early on and stick to it.

One of the first places you may want to hit, even before heading into Megaton, is the Springvale Elementary School, which is loaded with raiders. You can practice your sneaking skills, kill them off and get some weapons.

Also, you'll find bobblehead dolls at various places throughout the game - picking them up will either raise your base stats or your skills. The first one is in Vault 101 in dad's office - grab it before leaving (that one raises your medical ability).

I always focused on lockpicking, small guns, repair and medicine.

Repair is really important, IMO. Your weapons do more damage the better repair state they're in, plus they last longer and the ones you sell will net you more caps.

I never worried much about sneak. But I'm kind of a run in guns ablazin' type of player.

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
The followers are stupid - they'll run off and engage enemies without you and get killed.All I've had is the dog and he managed to kill a couple of other dogs and a mole rat or two but then a mirelurk go him with two whacks from the claw.

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Repair is really important, IMO. Your weapons do more damage the better repair state they're in, plus they last longer and the ones you sell will net you more caps.

I never worried much about sneak. But I'm kind of a run in guns ablazin' type of player.I haven't messed with sneak much at all. I made the mistake of boosting bun guns early and if I could do it over (which I'm sure I will) I would leave it low.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM

I never worried much about sneak. But I'm kind of a run in guns ablazin' type of player.

Agreed - I forgot about repair.

I like the critical hits you can get while sneaking, though.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
All I've had is the dog and he managed to kill a couple of other dogs and a mole rat or two but then a mirelurk go him with two whacks from the claw.

The dog is pretty much useless, especially at higher levels.

And those goddamn mirelurks are a pain in the ass, especially early on.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I haven't messed with sneak much at all. I made the mistake of boosting bun guns early and if I could do it over (which I'm sure I will) I would leave it low.

Use the Size Matters perk later on. You get 15 points on Big Guns with every level. Good way to boost big guns by a lot at a time.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Agreed - I forgot about repair.

I like the critical hits you can get while sneaking, though.

The criticals are nice, but just doesn't fit my style. Probably why I'm so partial to the shotgun as my weapon of choice.

Frazod
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
The criticals are nice, but just doesn't fit my style. Probably why I'm so partial to the shotgun as my weapon of choice.

I prefer the classic thief type of character rather than a straight up brawler.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I prefer the classic thief type of character rather than a straight up brawler.

That's the way I prefer to play in Oblivion (thief route). Haven't really given it a go in Fallout yet. Perhaps I will.

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
The second time around playing i got my demolitions up to 30 so i fixed the Megaton bomb right away, got the house and fixed the leaks in megaton just like that.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM

I agree with everything but sneak, a high speech opens so much more of the game. Also don't level to 100, take each item to 85 and use skill books and bobbleheads to make up the difference.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I never met up with Harkness but the Enclave guys have Plasma Pistols/Rifles and Plasma grenades and mines.:eek:

trust me you've met up with harkness, he's the head security guard in rivet city

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
they do when you get on the main quest....

that being said I've used that plasma gun almost exclusively since getting it and have only ran out of ammo one time

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
trust me you've met up with harkness, he's the head security guard in rivet cityI didn't realize. I met some babe recently that said she was now in charge.

Am I going to bump into him latter?

Fairplay
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not using the sneak points like i did the first time i played.

I miss the sneaking up and shooting them before they know what hit them.

Also, speech helps out a lot in doing different quests.

You can lie that you did a task and they believe you, heh.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I didn't realize. I met some babe recently that said she was now in charge.

Am I going to bump into him latter?
do the replicated man quest

jiveturkey
01-05-2009, 02:33 PM
do the replicated man questI did and I wimped out and took the part back to them and told them that he was dead. Some bitch ran up to me in the wastes and gave me the part. She was with some railroad group.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I did and I wimped out and took the part back to them and told them that he was dead. Some bitch ran up to me in the wastes and gave me the part. She was with some railroad group.

Oh you took the easy way out. If you'd have finished the quest harkness would have given you the gun to kill that guy. Best move would have been to take the gun, tell the guy harkness was the android and get the perk, then kill the guy to protect harkness which you wouldn't have lost karma on because harkness gives you a license to kill him

Adept Havelock
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with everything but sneak, a high speech opens so much more of the game. Also don't level to 100, take each item to 85 and use skill books and bobbleheads to make up the difference.
I don't think you need to level to 85.

Take the comprehension perk at level 4 for 2 points per skill book, don't read any before you take the perk.

25 skill books per skill = 50 points. Plus 10 from the bobblehead.

Looks like it's possible to get 100's in everything if you are really obsessive.

J Diddy
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think you need to level to 85.

Take the comprehension perk at level 4 for 2 points per skill book, don't read any before you take the perk.

25 skill books per skill = 50 points. Plus 10 from the bobblehead.

Looks like it's possible to get 100's in everything if you are really obsessive.

yeah, by the time I got the ability to get the perk it wasn't worth it

Mecca
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I found the damn alien finally and the terrible shotgun.

jiveturkey
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I got permission to get power armor training but I can't find Gunny. Where is this Bailey that they speak of?

Frazod
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I got permission to get power armor training but I can't find Gunny. Where is this Bailey that they speak of?

He wanders around. Look for him in the main training area or in the room with the big table.

J Diddy
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I found the damn alien finally and the terrible shotgun.

I have yet to use the terrible shotgun, I got it once just never used it. Is it badass or what?

Johnny Vegas
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I got chased by the guy who buys sensor modules from me and he got killed by one of the animals that protects me when I'm in danger. Now I have a problem with it freezing when I'm even farther into the game. I remember it freezing after he died when I went to talk to one of the brotherhood of steel rebels. They come up as enemy on my radar, but they don't shoot.

Johnny Vegas
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm now on my 3 round on Fallout3. I think I'm gonna be a prick this time. I was an angel in the last two. Probably going to blow up Megatown.

J Diddy
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm now on my 3 round on Fallout3. I think I'm gonna be a prick this time. I was an angel in the last two. Probably going to blow up Megatown.

I killed everyone in megaton then blew up the town, then went and killed everyone in tenpenney towers as well. As bad as I was, It took me giving 14 bottles of water to the guy in rivet city and 6 $100 donations to the church to move me to a saint karma-wise.

QuikSsurfer
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I have yet to use the terrible shotgun, I got it once just never used it. Is it badass or what?

It's super powerful.
One of my favorite weapons in the game.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM

My favorite of the game. Love that thing.

jiveturkey
01-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I started over. I'm much more bad ass this time since I'm avoiding being balanced.

I'm also going to be a little nicer to the good people this time. I blew up Megaton and killed everyone at Tenpenny last time.

As I was beating it yesterday I figured out the best way to kill Deathclaws... Fawkes. That guy is way better than a dog.

J Diddy
01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I started over. I'm much more bad ass this time since I'm avoiding being balanced.

I'm also going to be a little nicer to the good people this time. I blew up Megaton and killed everyone at Tenpenny last time.

As I was beating it yesterday I figured out the best way to kill Deathclaws... Fawkes. That guy is way better than a dog.

I prefer dart gun to the leg. Open season cause at that point they're REAL slow.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I prefer dart gun to the leg. Open season cause at that point they're REAL slow.

Yep. Not sure if you know this, but you can actually hit them ANYWHERE with the dart gun. Still cripples both legs.

That's my tactic, too. Cripple the legs, then take them out with my Chinese Assault Rifle.

Fairplay
01-13-2009, 03:12 AM
My favorite of the game. Love that thing.

Okay, i got the terrible shotgun this time. And yes, its pretty darn good.

My status is Hero.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Where the hell is this Fawkes dude at.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Where the hell is this Fawkes dude at.

Vault 87 (extreme west-central). Part of the main quest. He's a supermutant that hasn't completely lost his mind.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Okay, i got the terrible shotgun this time. And yes, its pretty darn good.

My status is Hero.

It's the best small gun there is.

Johnny Vegas
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
It's the best small gun there is.

I got the plasma rifle and that thing puts down those deathclaws like a fly getting hit by a swatter.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I got the plasma rifle and that thing puts down those deathclaws like a fly getting hit by a swatter.

Small Gun vs. Big Gun vs. Energy Weapon.

Not sure about the others, The Terrible Shotgun is the best "Small Gun" in the game.

A mini-nuke will take one down pretty quick, too.

Frazod
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM

The plasma rifle you get from Harkness is my favorite. I have not found or used the shotgun everybody raves about, but between that plasma rifle and the alien blaster for really sticky situations, you just don't need anything else.

Cave Johnson
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Made it to 980 on the achievements and will probably be stuck there until the DLC comes out. I played the whole game through and only reached 13 on the hacking stat..... no way I can make 50 without devoting a crazy amount of time.

Had to start another quest to get the Scientific Pursuits and Head of State achievements. I apparently cleared out the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials too early..... the escaped slaves started going the opposite way from the memorial and never came back.

Cave Johnson
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Speaking of DLC, the 1st pack allegedly drops Tuesday the 27th.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56731

J Diddy
01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Made it to 980 on the achievements and will probably be stuck there until the DLC comes out. I played the whole game through and only reached 13 on the hacking stat..... no way I can make 50 without devoting a crazy amount of time.

Had to start another quest to get the Scientific Pursuits and Head of State achievements. I apparently cleared out the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials too early..... the escaped slaves started going the opposite way from the memorial and never came back.

It's easy get the perk that gives you 2 points per skill book you read. There's 25 skill books plus the bobblehead is worth 10 just for the skill bobblehead plus there's 7 bobbleheads which raise your special (which in turn raises all the skills underneath).

Right now I'm going through it very slowly. My goal is to get my guy at 100 for everything, explore the whole map, and collect all the bobbleheads. I still got a ways to go.

J Diddy
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Speaking of DLC, the 1st pack allegedly drops Tuesday the 27th.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56731

Cool I'm dying to get this.

Frazod
01-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I took a break after finally finishing the main story (sort of a let down, considering how cool the game itself is, IMO). Now I think I'll find a midrange start point for one of my existing characters and explore the areas I've missed and hit the couple of remaining quests I haven't done yet. I've explored the Capitol (during Obama's inauguration I kept thinking about standing in that exact spot sniping supermutants with my plasma rifle :D ), but never checked out the White House, or whatever's left of it.

J Diddy
01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I took a break after finally finishing the main story (sort of a let down, considering how cool the game itself is, IMO). Now I think I'll find a midrange start point for one of my existing characters and explore the areas I've missed and hit the couple of remaining quests I haven't done yet. I've explored the Capitol (during Obama's inauguration I kept thinking about standing in that exact spot sniping supermutants with my plasma rifle :D ), but never checked out the White House, or whatever's left of it.

I plan on checking everything out. Every little thing. I already beat the game once, sold it on ebay, then bought it back on ebay. The ending is a pretty big let down. However, the coolness of the game brought me back to it. There is still a crap ton I have left to explore but will eventually get to. Then the DLC is icing on the cake....

Cave Johnson
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
It's easy get the perk that gives you 2 points per skill book you read. There's 25 skill books plus the bobblehead is worth 10 just for the skill bobblehead plus there's 7 bobbleheads which raise your special (which in turn raises all the skills underneath).

Right now I'm going through it very slowly. My goal is to get my guy at 100 for everything, explore the whole map, and collect all the bobbleheads. I still got a ways to go.

I highly recommend using a bobblehead guide.... those suckers are tough to find. Here's the one I used.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/fallout-3-bobblehead-guide/a-200811079495387046

Speaking of maxing your skills, the 3rd DLC is supposed to lift the level cap (and presumably let you play your character from the main game). Not sure if they'll increase each skill past 100, but I wouldn't be surprised.

J Diddy
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I highly recommend using a bobblehead guide.... those suckers are tough to find. Here's the one I used.

Speaking of maxing your skills, the 3rd DLC is supposed to lift the level cap (and presumably let you play your character from the main game). Not sure if they'll increase each skill past 100, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah I bought the book which I barely use, because the fallout wiki is so thorough.

Mecca
01-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I found like 9 bobbleheads so far.....I'm doing the shitty nuka cola challenge one now that one is a huge pain in the fucking ass.

I went in that one vault and was like what the fuck is this the vault of Gary?

J Diddy
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I found like 9 bobbleheads so far.....I'm doing the shitty nuka cola challenge one now that one is a huge pain in the ****ing ass.

I went in that one vault and was like what the **** is this the vault of Gary?

LOL, yeah that one is kinda nuts.

I'm just kinda strolling around until I get enough nuka colas to do the quest.

HC_Chief
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I found like 9 bobbleheads so far.....I'm doing the shitty nuka cola challenge one now that one is a huge pain in the ****ing ass.

I went in that one vault and was like what the **** is this the vault of Gary?

Damn! I have only found one.

Mecca
01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Damn! I have only found one.

Which one do you have......I'll tell you where some of the really easy ones are if you want to know.

HC_Chief
01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Which one do you have......I'll tell you where some of the really easy ones are if you want to know.

Can't remember... thanks, but no thanks - rather find 'em on my own ;)

At level 20 I unlocked the map... I plan on taking an extended expedition soon. I have been taking my time with this game - I've only just completed "The Waters of Life"; met up w/ pops at Rivet City.

Rather than continue the main story, I think I'll complete "You've got to shoot them in the head" and hit all the sites on the way before moving on.

Mecca
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Be careful with that shoot em in the head quest you'll miss out on your reward if you aren't careful....

Frazod
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Can't remember... thanks, but no thanks - rather find 'em on my own ;)

At level 20 I unlocked the map... I plan on taking an extended expedition soon. I have been taking my time with this game - I've only just completed "The Waters of Life"; met up w/ pops at Rivet City.

Rather than continue the main story, I think I'll complete "You've got to shoot them in the head" and hit all the sites on the way before moving on.

Those bobbleheads are a bitch to find on your own - and on a couple of occasions, if you don't grab them you can't go back and get them later. One of them is actually in Vault 101.

keg in kc
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I've gotten myself burned out big-time on LotRO, so I'm kicking both Fallout 3 and Mass Effect back off again.

(Seriously, I've never finished Mass Effect, and I fucking love the game - only got about an hour into Fallout 3)

Frazod
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I've gotten myself burned out big-time on LotRO, so I'm kicking both Fallout 3 and Mass Effect back off again.

(Seriously, I've never finished Mass Effect, and I fucking love the game - only got about an hour into Fallout 3)

Hard to go wrong with either one of those.

HC_Chief
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM

(Seriously, I've never finished Mass Effect, and I ****ing love the game - only got about an hour into Fallout 3)

Congratulations, you've completed .00000000000000000000000001% of Fallout3! :D

HC_Chief
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Those bobbleheads are a bitch to find on your own - and on a couple of occasions, if you don't grab them you can't go back and get them later. One of them is actually in Vault 101.

I think that's the one I found... the one from Vault 101.

Last night I finally realized picking up a second schematic improves your existing schematic. DOH! :redface:

Fish
01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I just upgraded my PC so I could play some new games. Saw this in action a while back and decided I should upgrade.

Can't wait.....

keg in kc
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Congratulations, you've completed .00000000000000000000000001% of Fallout3! Shit, man, some day I have to go back and finish Oblivion.

And I'm still only a 3rd of the way into The Witcher.

Fucking MMOs ruining my gaming life.

Adept Havelock
01-21-2009, 06:25 PM

The White House has been replaced with a large radioactive crater.

There is an "access tunnel" that you can get into, but that's about it.

Mecca
01-22-2009, 12:46 AM
I've been exploring the map and I just feel like I have so much shit now...I always run into something to kill and take their shit to sell, I have tons of guns tons of amo and have bought all the house shit yet I'm still over 10 thousand caps...

Kraus
01-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Anybody see the new achievements for the DLC for the 360? I think it comes out in a week or so.

Mecca
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Supposedly the update thing they're releasing also raises the level cap to 30 and makes it where the game doesn't end after you beat the main quest.

Kraus
01-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Supposedly the update thing they're releasing also raises the level cap to 30 and makes it where the game doesn't end after you beat the main quest.

I believe the level cap will be lifted with the 3rd DLC pack IIRC.

Fairplay
01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Seems like getting more caps is use less after a while. Nothing to spend the caps other then your house.

The rest you can kill and pillage for.

Mecca
01-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Seems like getting more caps is use less after a while. Nothing to spend the caps other then your house.

The rest you can kill and pillage for.

I have a really high repair skill so I can literally make 1000 caps in one exploring session and have most of my weapons repaired fully...

I have the explorer perk so I spend time just going from city to city seeing what's there killing things till my weight is full then going back and selling all of it....and with the deal at fort independence and just finding them I have about 115 stimpaks.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-22-2009, 05:09 AM

I believe the level cap will be lifted with the 3rd DLC pack IIRC.

The official page says the third pack will RAISE the level cap to 30. I'm pretty sure they're not going to completely take away the cap.

Fairplay
01-22-2009, 05:52 AM
The second time playing it, i did a few quests but mainly trying to get all the bobbleheads. I have 5 left to get.

Also, you figure out who to sell your pre-war books to, as well as scrap metal, sugar bombs and such.

After level 20, not being able to level up and get perks kind of loses its fun a little.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-22-2009, 05:54 AM
The second time playing it, i did a few quests but mainly trying to get all the bobbleheads. I have 5 left to get.

Also, you figure out who to sell your pre-war books to, as well as scrap metal, sugar bombs and such.

After level 20, not being able to level up and get perks kind of loses its fun a little.

Don't forget the one at Raven Rock (energy weapons). If you don't get it while you're there, you won't get it.

jiveturkey
01-22-2009, 07:22 AM

After level 20, not being able to level up and get perks kind of loses its fun a little.Same here. I'm loaded, over 20k in caps, a file cabinet full of weapons and junk, all but a couple of bobble heads (I'm afraid of the Death Claw sanctuary) and a ton of mission left to do.

The 2nd time through is way better. I wonder if I'll eventually run out of Mercs to kill?

Fried Meat Ball!
01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Same here. I'm loaded, over 20k in caps, a file cabinet full of weapons and junk, all but a couple of bobble heads (I'm afraid of the Death Claw sanctuary) and a ton of mission left to do.

The 2nd time through is way better. I wonder if I'll eventually run out of Mercs to kill?

Just go with a bunch of Stealth Boys.

jiveturkey
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Just go with a bunch of Stealth Boys.Good thinking. I have a shit ton of those. I was going to do some more of the main quest and get Fawkes. I'm probably to a point where I could use him anyway.

Frazod
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
The getting the bobblehead out of the death claw sanctuary isn't that bad - it's located fairly close to the entrance. You only need to kill one or two of them.

Frazod
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
BTW, has anybody effectively used the gatling laser as a primary weapon? It looks badass, but I've never developed the big weapons skill, so I didn't bother with it.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-22-2009, 09:10 AM
BTW, has anybody effectively used the gatling laser as a primary weapon? It looks badass, but I've never developed the big weapons skill, so I didn't bother with it.

It is if you build up the Big Guns skill. My last character I had 100 Big and Small guns and used the gatling laser a lot.

I also realize on this go-round how valuable the Sniper perk is.

Frazod
01-22-2009, 09:13 AM
It is if you build up the Big Guns skill. My last character I had 100 Big and Small guns and used the gatling laser a lot.

I also realize on this go-round how valuable the Sniper perk is.

Sniping rocks. If you fire undetected using the plasma rifle, you'll pretty much kill anything with a head shot.

The sniper rifle itself, however, is pretty lame, IMO.

JBucc
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
The first time I encountered Deathclaws was in this place whose name I can't remember in the northeasternish part of the map. It's like a little walled town place and I went in and fell down a trap door. You then have to go through these corridors with like a bazillion of them in there and I wasn't strong enough to make it so I had to reload my last save. I've never gone back there out of fear.

Frazod
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
The first time I encountered Deathclaws was in this place whose name I can't remember in the northeasternish part of the map. It's like a little walled town place and I went in and fell down a trap door. You then have to go through these corridors with like a bazillion of them in there and I wasn't strong enough to make it so I had to reload my last save. I've never gone back there out of fear.

I know what you're talking about - a ruined town with an extensive tunnel system and only a couple of exits. Using stealth to sneak up on those fuckers and take them out one at a time is definitely a plus. Personally, when I know I'm going up against deathclaws, I use the alien pistol.

Cave Johnson
01-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Here they are.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2009/01/22/xbox-com-reveals-fallout-3s-operation-anchorage-achievements/

Fried Meat Ball!
01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
The Vault - everything you ever wanted to know about Fallout 3 missions...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3

jiveturkey
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I know what you're talking about - a ruined town with an extensive tunnel system and only a couple of exits. Using stealth to sneak up on those ****ers and take them out one at a time is definitely a plus. Personally, when I know I'm going up against deathclaws, I use the alien pistol.

It's Old Olney. I had Fawkes with me when I ran into it the first time around. He cleaned the place up pretty quickly. I usually just try and get in a shot or two in an effort to get the experience points.

Mecca
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Just get the dart gun then the death claws are pretty easy to kill...2 or 3 terrible shotgun shots takes them down.

Redrum_69
01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
If you have never played the first and second fallout for the pc...you should be able to buy them at like a bestbuy/walmart etc for like 9.99

trust me when i say...if you are a hardcore fallout fan...the first two blow away the third installment.

Cave Johnson
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I changed my mind and got the hacking achivement. It wasn't too hard doing the reload thing if you were locked out.

jiveturkey
01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Just get the dart gun then the death claws are pretty easy to kill...2 or 3 terrible shotgun shots takes them down.How did you get that?

Cave Johnson
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
How did you get that?

You make it.... the schematics can be bought from a vendor in Tenpenny Towers or by helping the former slaves in the Temple of the Union/Lincoln Memorial mission.

jiveturkey
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
You make it.... the schematics can be bought from a vendor in Tenpenny Towers or by helping the former slaves in the Temple of the Union/Lincoln Memorial mission.Fawkes and I will head over to the Temple of the Union this evening. I'm sure that he won't mind.

Cave Johnson
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Fawkes and I will head over to the Temple of the Union this evening. I'm sure that he won't mind.

Word of caution.... if you care about the achievement, make sure to wait to clear out the Memorial until the former slaves there.

Mecca
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Personally my least favorite thing to face in the game is the sentry bot, I'd rather face a deathclaw.

J Diddy
01-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Personally my least favorite thing to face in the game is the sentry bot, I'd rather face a deathclaw.

whats really cool is when you get the robotics perk, deactivate em, then kill em

:D

Mecca
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Also don't ever fast travel to rockbreakers last gas it's apparently an enclave spawn point cause every time I've done it there are enclave guys there just waiting to shoot me no matter how many times you kill them the next time you go back there, they're there again.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Also don't ever fast travel to rockbreakers last gas it's apparently an enclave spawn point cause every time I've done it there are enclave guys there just waiting to shoot me no matter how many times you kill them the next time you go back there, they're there again.

That's exactly the reason I do fast travel there... stock up on weapons and armor to sell. :D

Mecca
01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
That's exactly the reason I do fast travel there... stock up on weapons and armor to sell. :D

LOL, I have several different armors I pretty much decide what I'm wearing based on what I'm doing...when I'm doing side stuff and just exploring I wear the regular enclave armor.

Frazod
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I think I'm going to start over completely - I haven't yet played a melee-intensive character, so I think I'll give that a shot.

Cave Johnson
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Operation Anchorage is out.... am DLing it now.

Kraus
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Operation Anchorage is out.... am DLing it now.

Gah...another thing I have to spend money on. :D

ZootedGranny
01-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think the Operation Anchorage DLC is worth the $10 they're charging.

It's extremely linear, very short (about 2.5 hours), and the rewards for beating it are minimal. If next month's DLC is anything like this, I'll pass and wait for the March DLC, which raises the level cap and allows you to play beyond the current endgame.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
From one review:

The problem, however, is that for the seasoned wasteland warrior everything is just far too easy. True, my character is maxed out at level twenty and is a dab hand at small guns - but surely most people paying for this download will be an established part of the '30 hour+' Fallout 3 faithful? It's possible to spray your way through Operation Anchorage without ever truly breaking a sweat. Overall the number of enemies on-screen at any time is probably higher than the norm, but you nearly always have an ally or two, and health recharge points pepper the level to a degree that goes beyond Bethesda hand-holding and moves into full-blown spooning.

I won't spoil the three missions that follow, but in all honesty there's little to taint. There are three prongs to the second half of Operation Anchorage: you can go left or go right with orders to blow further things up, and when you've done both of them there's a final assault that has you charge straight ahead through a variety of trenches, gun emplacements and worried Chinese folk. It's made fun by the fact you're allowed to pick a specific weapon load-out and take along a set of companions and/or robots, and the pyrotechnics are as impressive as ever, yet the whole experience feels simple and heavy-handed. 5/10

J Diddy
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Okay question for those who have played the operation anchorage dlc. In the one set of missions where you lead a strike team can you get a weapon other than the same missiles (with no missile launcher), frag mines, frag grenades or MFC packs (with no gun at all let alone anything that uses microfusion)?

ZootedGranny
01-28-2009, 10:18 AM
In the main headquarters (with the tabletop map), there should be a computer that allows you to change your loadout. I chose the one that gave you a combat shotgun.

Also, if your speech is high enough, you can convince the quartermaster (who stands outside the tent containing the health & ammo regen) to give you a Gauss rifle.

J Diddy
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
In the main headquarters (with the tabletop map), there should be a computer that allows you to change your loadout. I chose the one that gave you a combat shotgun.

Also, if your speech is high enough, you can convince the quartermaster (who stands outside the tent containing the health & ammo regen) to give you a Gauss rifle.

For some reason it says I need more recruit markers or something? My speech however is decent so I'll try the gauss rifle thing.

Thanks.

ZootedGranny
01-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Talk to the black guy in that HQ, one of the speech options will then allow you to choose your loadout.

J Diddy
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Talk to the black guy in that HQ, one of the speech options will then allow you to choose your loadout.

Yeah just finished it, thanks for your help, was kinda short imo.

Rudy lost the toss
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Why is it that some of my S.P.E.C.I.A.L points have gone down? Im constantly well rested and don't have any addictions yet my agility is all the way down to 2 and my strength has gone down a point.

Cave Johnson
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Why is it that some of my S.P.E.C.I.A.L points have gone down? Im constantly well rested and don't have any addictions yet my agility is all the way down to 2 and my strength has gone down a point.

Power armor (or any apparel, for that matter) and rad poisoning can both lower certain stats.

J Diddy
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Power armor (or any apparel, for that matter) and rad poisoning can both lower certain stats.

on the screen that has your radiation, condition(cnd--the one with a pic of a body), it has eff which means effects that will list them all.

J Diddy
01-29-2009, 01:06 AM
I decided to restart once I got the new dlc,basing a guy on stealth. I plan on utilizing the chinese stealth armor at an early stage.

Mecca
01-29-2009, 01:14 AM
I got 21 bottles of Quantum gettin close!

Johnny Vegas
01-29-2009, 01:36 AM

oh man those are all over the place. This game is awesome.

Mecca
01-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I have something like 130 bottles of regular nuka cola in my machine.

Kraus
01-29-2009, 01:45 AM

I think I'm at about 18 or 19...I wish I had known about these earlier. I had a good collection of them early in the game. I sold them for caps.

Mecca
01-29-2009, 01:47 AM
I think I'm at about 18 or 19...I wish I had known about these earlier. I had a good collection of them early in the game. I sold them for caps.

Is there any damn place where there's alot of them? I keep finding them 1 at a time.

Kraus
01-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Is there any damn place where there's alot of them? I keep finding them 1 at a time.

I've found about 5 or so in Eulogy's pad in Paradise Falls. They are behind the staircase.

Mecca
01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
I haven't been to Paradise Falls yet so aha!

I'm to the point now where I have so many caps and awesome weapons I can take anything down quickly...

Fried Meat Ball!
01-29-2009, 03:05 AM
I have something like 130 bottles of regular nuka cola in my machine.

I have about that many... at one point in my last character, I had like 220.

I'm up to 20 Quantum right now, so I'll have to check out Eulogy's place. :thumb:

Johnny Vegas
01-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I have about that many... at one point in my last character, I had like 220.

I'm up to 20 Quantum right now, so I'll have to check out Eulogy's place. :thumb:

I found about 45 Quantum's so far. Its hard to remember where I found more than one at one place other than Paradise Falls. I've made it to level 20 and I picked the map perk so I can see every spot on the map. Holy shit there are a lot more places than I thought.

Frazod
01-29-2009, 08:32 AM
One thing about the Quantum's - DON'T CHILL THEM IN YOUR REFRIGERATOR. It turns them into cold regular Nuka-colas.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
One thing about the Quantum's - DON'T CHILL THEM IN YOUR REFRIGERATOR. It turns them into cold regular Nuka-colas.

I never had a problem storing them in the Fridge. I never put them in the Vending Machine, though. Is that what happened?

Fairplay
01-29-2009, 08:07 PM

I don't think the game will allow me to put the Quantum's in the fridge. It only takes the Nuka's.

How do you do that?

jiveturkey
01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
So I've got 22k in caps, the bad ass plasma riffle, railroad thingy, Lincoln repeater, power armor, Fawkes and everything is one or two shots away from being dead.

What in the hell am I supposed to do now? I think that I've knocked out most of the side quests. Maybe I'll go and fuck with some death claws.

Johnny Vegas
01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
So I've got 22k in caps, the bad ass plasma riffle, railroad thingy, Lincoln repeater, power armor, Fawkes and everything is one or two shots away from being dead.

What in the hell am I supposed to do now? I think that I've knocked out most of the side quests. Maybe I'll go and **** with some death claws.

death claws and mirelurks!

Johnny Vegas
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
anyone played the previous fallouts? I've never played them so just wondering about the quality of the game because 3 is bad ass.

KcMizzou
01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
anyone played the previous fallouts? I've never played them so just wondering about the quality of the game because 3 is bad ass.They're really good. (hence the hype when 3 was announced.)

But compared to 3, they're um... very primitive.

If you never played and loved them before, they might be hard to get into...

You're missing the nostalgia factor.

Johnny Vegas
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
They're really good. (hence the hype when 3 was announced.)

But compared to 3, they're um... very primitive.

I'll keep an open mind when I play them. I've seen some screen shots and they're very primitive compared to 3. I take it they're only for PC/MAC?

KcMizzou
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I'll keep an open mind when I play them. I've seen some screen shots and they're very primitive compared to 3. I take it they're only for PC/MAC?Yeah.

keg in kc
01-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I've played them both, and loved them both, but the more time passes, and the more games advance, it's becoming increasingly difficult to play titles from the 90s.

Fallout 3 is way, way better than I expected, fwiw. Although I have played both Morrowind and Oblivion, I really didn't think Bethesda could pull it off.

Mecca
01-30-2009, 12:47 AM
One of my least favorite things on the game are the glowing ones...little bastard can take 3 plasma rifle shots and not die.

keg in kc
01-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I haven't gotten far in at all. Made it to the outpost at level 3, and I'm doing operation: anchorage now. I'm not in a big rush - trying to time it out so I hit 20 around the time the last DLC comes out.

As for operation anchorage, I really enjoy it so far. I think maybe it's not quite as short for a lower-level toon as it is for the 20s.

Mecca
01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Right now I'm just going through discovering locations and more or less trying to find Quantums...

I found one in this ghoul and radiation infested subway tunnel, I had to wade through water to get it.

Frazod
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't think the game will allow me to put the Quantum's in the fridge. It only takes the Nuka's.

How do you do that?

I just put them in and chilled them - they lost the Quantum status. I did about 15 of them, too, so it totally ruined my shit for the quest.

EDIT - I mean the Nuka-Cola Machine you can buy for your apartment, not a refrigerator.

:cuss:

Claynus
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Ooh! Anchorage is out? TO STEAM!

Claynus
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow. Apparently you can't get it through steam. You have to use Windows Live. Fuck that. Way to encourage piracy, Bethseda.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I just put them in and chilled them - they lost the Quantum status. I did about 15 of them, too, so it totally ruined my shit for the quest.

EDIT - I mean the Nuka-Cola Machine you can buy for your apartment, not a refrigerator.

:cuss:

Go back to your autosave.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
anyone played the previous fallouts? I've never played them so just wondering about the quality of the game because 3 is bad ass.

The first two games are turn based isometric games. Calling them primitive is wrong, but they are from a genre that no one makes anymore. Fallout 3 plays and feels very little like the original Fallout games. If you want something similar to Fallout 3 you would be better off playing Oblivion or Morrowind.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Wow. Apparently you can't get it through steam. You have to use Windows Live. **** that. Way to encourage piracy, Bethseda.

At least they aren't selling horse armor this time, though I've heard mostly bad things about the DLC.

J Diddy
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
At least they aren't selling horse armor this time, though I've heard mostly bad things about the DLC.

I felt it played like call of duty, with a fallout 3 slant.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I felt it played like call of duty, with a fallout 3 slant.

Call of Duty with Fallout's poor FPS mechanics and broken VATS system? Yeah, that's why I'm not buying it. The appeal of the game is the open world and exploration; the fighting mechanics in the game are one of it's greatest flaws.

J Diddy
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Call of Duty with Fallout's poor FPS mechanics and broken VATS system? Yeah, that's why I'm not buying it. The appeal of the game is the open world and exploration; the fighting mechanics in the game are one of it's greatest flaws.

what are you talking about? Vats is freaking awesome, I used it primarily, so I wouldn't know much about the comparison to FPS, as I tend to stay away from them.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
what are you talking about? Vats is freaking awesome, I used it primarily, so I wouldn't know much about the comparison to FPS, as I tend to stay away from them.

It's okay until you reach a decent level and get a 95% chance to headshot every enemy. Then VATS consists of walking up to an enemy and queuing up headshots. It requires no strategy and has no depth.

J Diddy
01-30-2009, 01:51 PM
It's okay until you reach a decent level and get a 95% chance to headshot every enemy. Then VATS consists of walking up to an enemy and queuing up headshots. It requires no strategy and has no depth.

What do you think they should have done differently?

HC_Chief
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I am in DC on business... went to the National Mall today and walked around.

"There was a mutant bunker there, and Brotherhood Stronghold there, and burnt-out bridge there and..." :D

Fairplay
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Simple answer to people who have a problem with VATS.

Don't use it if you don't like it. Shoot like regular.

Frazod
01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Go back to your autosave.

It was weeks ago when I did that, and I did long before I came across the quantum quest. It wasn't worth going back at that point.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Simple answer to people who have a problem with VATS.

Don't use it if you don't like it. Shoot like regular.

Joke post? I sure hope so. Fallout 3's FPS mechanics are god awful. You'd have to be a masochist to do that.

Claynus
01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Joke post? I sure hope so. Fallout 3's FPS mechanics are god awful. You'd have to be a masochist to do that.

They work fine for me. Of course, if you're on a console, well, sucks to be you.

And if you're a low-level character your aim is going to be off. The bullets aren't going to go where the crosshair is pointed every time. I don't see that as a mechanical problem. That's the nature of a skills-based game.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
They work fine for me. Of course, if you're on a console, well, sucks to be you.

And if you're a low-level character your aim is going to be off. The bullets aren't going to go where the crosshair is pointed every time. I don't see that as a mechanical problem. That's the nature of a skills-based game.

I know why it works the way it does, I'm just saying it's a poor combat system. The FPS mechanics are poorly done and the VATS system is completely broken at any decent level. Combat was pretty mediocre in Morrowind and Oblivion, but trying to force gunplay into that engine just made it worse.

Claynus
01-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I know why it works the way it does, I'm just saying it's a poor combat system. The FPS mechanics are poorly done and the VATS system is completely broken at any decent level. Combat was pretty mediocre in Morrowind and Oblivion, but trying to force gunplay into that engine just made it worse.

Are you on a PC?

I enjoy the combat in Fallout moreso than Oblivion. It's not even close. I don't really use VATS unless I feel like I want a little sideshow once in awhile.

Fairplay
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I like sniping from far away. You can do that pretty good without vats.

Terrible shotgun for close ups and chinese rifle for all purpose.

Again, all can be used without VATS.

Maybe the PC makes the aiming easier to use.

I don't think i could do the other systems hand held devices and have good control.

keg in kc
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm a fan of the gauss rifle, but it's like playing the game on easy mode.

I enjoyed operation anchorage. It was challenging at times going through it around level 5 without using the rest of the strike team. What was really challenging was surviving the encounter with all the outcasts after it was over, and keeping the protector and specialist alive, me being level 6 or 7.

J Diddy
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
I like sniping from far away. You can do that pretty good without vats.

Terrible shotgun for close ups and chinese rifle for all purpose.

Again, all can be used without VATS.

Maybe the PC makes the aiming easier to use.

I don't think i could do the other systems hand held devices and have good control.

If I got one bitch about vats is that when using a sniper rifle you should have a significantly improved percentage of hits versus a 10mm pistol. But you don't.

Fairplay
02-02-2009, 07:21 AM
If I got one bitch about vats is that when using a sniper rifle you should have a significantly improved percentage of hits versus a 10mm pistol. But you don't.

This time when i went through Raven Rock, i kept everything, all the great heavy armor, weapons. You just get so much. I inched my way out of there with over 1400 lbs. of goodies.

Frazod
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, I just found what must be the most kick-ass weapon in the game - located deep within the Deathclaw Sanctuary is a unique gatling laser called "Vengeance." Damage is allegedly 100, but my big gun skill is really low. I'll definitely be building that up.

Still tore the shit out of the deathclaws.

And remember, your hired sidekick will occasionally drop weapons, so I would think twice about passing it over to him/her unless you check on his/her inventory frequently.