PDA

View Full Version : Computers help, my new hdd isn't being recognized

go bowe
06-06-2008, 11:14 PM
the old hdd was partitioned and windows reads both partitions, but they are named C: and E:, which suggests to me that somewhere the system is recognizing the new drive, which should be D:

device manager shows it as installed and working normally...

system info (in help) shows the new hdd but there is no drive designation (should be D: )...

i don't think the new drive has been formatted because the system doesn't recognize the new d: drive...

i am at a loss as to what to try next...

any help would be appreciated...

Fish
06-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Right click on My Computer, and select Manage from the list that pops up.

Inside Computer Management, look for Disk Management. Click on it.

See if it shows your new drive in the list. If it does, what does it say about the new drive? List that info, and we'll see what we can do.

Fish
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Drive letter D: is reserved for CD or DVD drives. Your new drive should show up as F: or later if it's already partitioned.... If it isn't partitioned, you can do so from the Disk Management screen.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
prolly needs to be formatted

disk management can do that ..... but it's very slow.

a program like Partition Manager is much,much faster/better.

go bowe
06-07-2008, 04:26 PM

See if it shows your new drive in the list. If it does, what does it say about the new drive? List that info, and we'll see what we can do.is this the info?

edit: geeze, i can't even figure out how to put a prt scr into a word97 document and then upload it to my post...

edit: through trial and error (mostly error) i have somehow managed to get this thing to show (post below)

go bowe
06-07-2008, 05:19 PM
prolly needs to be formatted

disk management can do that ..... but it's very slow.

a program like Partition Manager is much,much faster/better.when i get to that screen, the format choice is grayed out...

go bowe
06-07-2008, 05:44 PM

See if it shows your new drive in the list. If it does, what does it say about the new drive? List that info, and we'll see what we can do.i'm trying to get a prtscr of it for you, but it's giving me trouble so far...

go bowe
06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
the new 160gb hdd shows on the list as disk 1...

a separate issue of much less importance is that my cd/w is named lexmark 1300 and the pc won't let me change the name back...

another separate issue is the my pc suddenly stopped allowing me to bring up my help and support screen though the start menu...

probably the damned thing will start spewing poison gas or something the next time i try to get in there (the help section)...

when i try to use it it immediately shuts down with a message that it needs to close, etc.

i've run spybot, adaware and avast av, yet no luck getting into help...

i can't live without my windows help... :)

Mr. Laz
06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
unallocated = not formatted

the "format" option might be grey because you have to "create" a partition first before you format it.

right click on Dish 1 > create partition > pick size of partition or multiple partitions > i think it even lets you assign a letter to it at that point

after creation it will have you "apply changes" or just go ahead and format it. It might even tell you it has to reboot so it can format it upon restart before windows runs.

or

use the disk that came with the hard drive to format it

or

you can use your windows CD.

or

you can use a free 3rd party app

http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/partition-format.htm

Fish
06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
If the format option is grayed out, can you select the "Create Partition" option? After you do that, the format option will likely be available. Give that a try.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
If the format option is grayed out, can you select the "Mark Partition as Active" option? After you do that, the format option will likely be available. Give that a try.
actually i don't think he wants to do that.

iirc marking it as active will set it as a OS partition.

just create a partition first ... then he should be able to format it.

Fish
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
As far as the CD-ROM, Do you by chance have a Lexmark install disc in the CD drive? Eject the drive and see.....

Fish
06-07-2008, 06:33 PM
actually i don't think he wants to do that.

iirc marking it as active will set it as a OS partition.

just create a partition first ... then he should be able to format it.

Yeah.... I edited my post....

go bowe
06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
As far as the CD-ROM, Do you by chance have a Lexmark install disc in the CD drive? Eject the drive and see.....dayum, are your psychic or something?

that resolves that issue...

go bowe
06-07-2008, 08:50 PM
unallocated = not formatted

the "format" option might be grey because you have to "create" a partition first before you format it.

right click on Dish 1 > create partition > pick size of partition or multiple partitions > i think it even lets you assign a letter to it at that point

after creation it will have you "apply changes" or just go ahead and format it. It might even tell you it has to reboot so it can format it upon restart before windows runs.

or

use the disk that came with the hard drive to format it

or

you can use your windows CD.

or

you can use a free 3rd party app

http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/partition-format.htm i'll go with door number 4...

got a partition and now formatting the new drive as D: ...

go bowe
06-07-2008, 09:00 PM
well, i think i am/have formatted d: but windows still doesn't seem to want to recognize it as a drive...

i can't get the second screen shot to attach to this post so

go bowe
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
here's the partition program...

Fish
06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
From that last screen shot, I notice it says "1 Operation Pending, Create D: on Disk 2". Are you sure you did that operation already? Do you need to hit Apply?

You might try to reboot after you partition as well... just to be sure.

From the looks of things, it should be working, or working soon....

go bowe
06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
the new 160gb hdd shows on the list as disk 1...

a separate issue of much less importance is that my cd/w is named lexmark 1300 and the pc won't let me change the name back...

another separate issue is the my pc suddenly stopped allowing me to bring up my help and support screen though the start menu...

probably the damned thing will start spewing poison gas or something the next time i try to get in there (the help section)...

when i try to use it it immediately shuts down with a message that it needs to close, etc.

i've run spybot, adaware and avast av, yet no luck getting into help...

i can't live without my windows help... :)the new hdd shows as installed in device manager, but not listed in the disk management screen...

now i can access the help and support screen (i have no idea how that happened)...

i think i just got spewed with poison gas... :( :( :(

dammit carl!!!1!!