PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Agreement between Dorsey, Chiefs not imminent

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/653299.html

Agreement between Dorsey, Chiefs not imminent
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Three of this year’s top four NFL draft picks are under contract now that Arkansas running back Darren McFadden has signed with the Oakland Raiders

Don’t look for the fifth pick, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey of the Chiefs, to join them soon.

President/general manager Carl Peterson said the Chiefs have been in contact with Dorsey’s agent, Joel Segal.

“We’ve had conversations, and that’s all I can say,” Peterson said.

But no agreement appeared imminent.

Segal declined comment. But given the particulars of McFadden’s contract, Segal might not be content with a marginal raise over the fifth pick of last year’s draft, offensive tackle Levi Brown.

Brown was signed to a six-year contract that included $18 million of guaranteed money. Last year’s fourth pick, Tampa Bay defensive end Gaines Adams, received a reported $18.56 million in guarantees.

McFadden, the fourth pick this year, received a reported $26 million in guaranteed money.

In addition to McFadden, the draft’s top pick, Miami offensive tackle Jake Long, and the third pick, Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, have signed. St. Louis defensive end Chris Long, the second pick, is unsigned.

The Chiefs under Peterson have a spotty record of having their first-round picks under contract in time for the start of training camp.

Eleven of their 16 first-round picks under Peterson have been late for camp, including Dwayne Bowe, last year’s No. 1 choice.

The Chiefs begin camp this year on July 25.

The Chiefs this year have another first-round selection. They picked Virginia offensive lineman Branden Albert with the 15th choice. He is also unsigned.

Chiefs’/Peterson’s first-round picks

Year Player Signed
1989 LB Derrick Thomas Aug. 24*
1990 LB Percy Snow Aug. 20*
1991 RB Harvey Williams Aug. 7*
1992 CB Dale Carter June 1
1994 RB Greg Hill Aug. 1*
1995 OT Trezelle Jenkins April 25
1996 DB Jerome Woods Aug. 12*
1997 TE Tony Gonzalez July 29*
1998 OT Victor Riley July 2
1999 OT John Tait Sept. 9*
2000 WR Sylvester Morris Aug. 9*
2002 DT Ryan Sims Aug. 28*
2003 RB Larry Johnson July 17
2005 LB Derrick Johnson July 31*
2006 DE Tamba Hali July 27
2007 WR Dwayne Bowe Aug. 5*
Note: The Chiefs had no first-round pick in 1993, 2001 or 2004

* signed after the start of training camp

Easy 6
06-06-2008, 10:35 PM
So help me God, Carl...everyone & his grandmommas grandmomma knows we have the money.

I understand a bit of haggling, thats just a part of it...but he better have this guy in camp, there ARE no excuses anymore.

Contract > Carls ego.

Count Zarth
06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Don't worry, it'll get done. The Chiefs have a VERY good relationship with Dorsey's agent.

FAX
06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I couldn't agree more, Mr. scott free. We get the number five and then play signing games? Sometimes I think that under that CEO exterior, in reality, Carl is a 15 year-old girl. Sign the kid and let him kick some AFCW ass.

FAX

Mr. Laz
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
This just in .... Nothing to report on the Dorsey front, Peterson still a jackhole /Teicher

:shrug:

little jacob
06-06-2008, 10:51 PM
i am not worried. dorsey is a character guy who will want to be in camp day 1.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2008, 10:57 PM

i see carl has done his brain-washing well on you, young padawan.

Basileus777
06-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Thats not really a big factor. His agent and Carl are running things.

noa
06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm more worried about Albert than Dorsey. Albert knows we were strongly considering making him our top pick. He said in a couple interviews that he knew he was considered by many to be a top 10 talent (even though he wasn't taken there). Carl will say that Albert should be paid like the #15 pick because that's where he was taken, but we were drooling over him before the draft and traded up to get him. Plus, we've already tried to transition McIntosh to the right side. Albert knows we want him starting at LT very soon. He should be able to demand a lot of money, and argue that we got a steal with an elite starting LT at the #15 slot.

Frazod
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Christ. Just pay him what the Raiders paid McFadden and be done with it. Why is this even an issue?

HE'S THE BEST F#CKING PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. PAY HIM.

:cuss:

keg in kc
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm totally shocked Dorsey doesn't have a contract yet. On June 7th.

Oh, wait.

KcMizzou
06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
This just in .... Nothing to report on the Dorsey front, Peterson still a jackhole /Teicher

:shrug:A lot shorter... just as informative.

Nice work.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Christ. Just pay him what the Raiders paid McFadden and be done with it. Why is this even an issue?

HE'S THE BEST F#CKING PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. PAY HIM.

:cuss:

Yeah. You got a ****ing BARGAIN on this guy. Give him his scratch and move the **** on. This isn't hard. Albert is going to be the one that's a problem I think.

KcMizzou
06-06-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm totally shocked Dorsey doesn't have a contract yet. On June 7th.

Oh, wait.Heheh, yeah...

It's a bit early to start, but why not? It's what we do...

Buehler445
06-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm more worried about Albert than Dorsey. Albert knows we were strongly considering making him our top pick. He said in a couple interviews that he knew he was considered by many to be a top 10 talent (even though he wasn't taken there). Carl will say that Albert should be paid like the #17 pick because that's where he was taken, but we were drooling over him before the draft and traded up to get him. Plus, we've already tried to transition McIntosh to the right side. Albert knows we want him starting at LT very soon. He should be able to demand a lot of money, and argue that we got a steal with an elite starting LT at the #17 slot.

I was thinking the same thing. If he couldn't get Bowe in camp at #24 or whatever he was picked at, it's a serious risk with our second pick at 17. We got the cash. Pay them. Seriously...

Rausch
06-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I think the best road to take here since we're in a rebuilding mode is to fight over a couple mil so our stud DT can come in out of shape and injury ready like the last one...

Rausch
06-07-2008, 01:29 AM
A lot shorter... just as informative.

Nice work.

Without conjecture or fallacy.

Sign him Athan!:cuss:

blueballs
06-07-2008, 02:19 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Herzig
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
2008 DT Glenn Dorsey ???
OG/OT Brandon Albert

Throw out Riley, SlyMo and Sims and the Chiefs have done much better drafting in round 1 than the previous 10 years.

StcChief
06-07-2008, 08:41 AM
2008 DT Glenn Dorsey ???

Throw out Riley, SlyMo and Sims and the Chiefs have done much better drafting in round 1 than the previous 10 years.amazing that the 3 busts were the ones demanding and holding out.

or was it the agents :hmmm:

but two first rounders this year at 5 and 17 we will see if Clark puts it on Carl to get 'er done.

Herzig
06-07-2008, 08:45 AM
amazing that the 3 busts were the ones demanding and holding out.

but two first rounders this year at 5 and 17 we will see if Clark puts it on Carl to get 'er done.

Whoops...fixed it

blueballs
06-07-2008, 08:46 AM
How about correlating the agent to the signing date
a-dumb teicher

Herzig
06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
amazing that the 3 busts were the ones demanding and holding out.

That should be a message to Carl also....we are wayyyy under the cap too...why dicker over millions eh?ROFL

milkman
06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm more worried about Albert than Dorsey. Albert knows we were strongly considering making him our top pick. He said in a couple interviews that he knew he was considered by many to be a top 10 talent (even though he wasn't taken there). Carl will say that Albert should be paid like the #17 pick because that's where he was taken, but we were drooling over him before the draft and traded up to get him. Plus, we've already tried to transition McIntosh to the right side. Albert knows we want him starting at LT very soon. He should be able to demand a lot of money, and argue that we got a steal with an elite starting LT at the #17 slot.

Since Albert was taken with the 15th pick, if Carl tries to pay him like the 17th pick, then Albert should be pissed.

noa
06-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Since Albert was taken with the 15th pick, if Carl tries to pay him like the 17th pick, then Albert should be pissed.

Duly noted

Chiefaholic
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Dorsey is arguably the best player in the draft. He deserves Mcfadden money and will hopefully not develope a grudge against our organization like Tait and Allen had. We need him signed and in camp ON TIME more than any other rookie we've drafted in recent years.

TrickyNicky
06-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Have to save some scratch for next years top 5 pick, right?

milkman
06-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Have to save some scratch for next years top 5 pick, right?

As others have said, it's probably more important to get Albert signed and in camp on time for his development.

It would be nice, though, to have both signed and in camp on time.

the Talking Can
06-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I think the best road to take here since we're in a rebuilding mode is to fight over a couple mil so our stud DT can come in out of shape and injury ready like the last one...

the force is strong with this one....

Uncle_Ted
06-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm more worried about Albert than Dorsey. Albert knows we were strongly considering making him our top pick. He said in a couple interviews that he knew he was considered by many to be a top 10 talent (even though he wasn't taken there). Carl will say that Albert should be paid like the #15 pick because that's where he was taken, but we were drooling over him before the draft and traded up to get him. Plus, we've already tried to transition McIntosh to the right side. Albert knows we want him starting at LT very soon. He should be able to demand a lot of money, and argue that we got a steal with an elite starting LT at the #15 slot.

I don't really see the first part of that being much of an issue ... he was drafted at #15. So what if some people said he was a top-10 talent? Many players could make that argument. But that's not where he was drafted.

The bigger issue will be the second part: are we paying him like a G or LT? Even then, I don't see that as a major problem. I'm sure Albert won't be the first player with a contract containing escalators based on snaps taken at a certain position.

He's not an elite LT yet ... hell he wasn't even a T in college.

FAX
06-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah ... that whole "never played left tackle" thing will be a negotiating point, for sure.

Honestly, I hate this aspect of football. You get excited about the draft, then you have to wait out the signing. The NFL has allowed this to get out of control, in my opinion. There really should be a rookie compensation standard established by rule that is fair to both parties.

FAX

DeezNutz
06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah ... that whole "never played left tackle" thing will be a negotiating point, for sure.

Honestly, I hate this aspect of football. You get excited about the draft, then you have to wait out the signing. The NFL has allowed this to get out of control, in my opinion. There really should be a rookie compensation standard established by rule that is fair to both parties.

FAX

Compared to MLB, however, the NFL's system is brilliant, which isn't saying much.

FAX
06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Compared to MLB, however, the NFL's system is brilliant, which isn't saying much.

True enough, Mr. DeezNutz. I can't argue that. But, it seems as though there are a lot of things wrong with this method. Teams are signing rookies to exorbitant contracts with the hope they'll work out (see guys like PacMan) while players often get a late start which can lead to injury and/or poor performance. Honestly, the agents appear to be the ones benefiting most from the system we have now.

FAX

DeezNutz
06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
True enough, Mr. DeezNutz. I can't argue that. But, it seems as though there are a lot of things wrong with this method. Teams are signing rookies to exorbitant contracts with the hope they'll work out (see guys like PacMan) while players often get a late start which can lead to injury and/or poor performance. Honestly, the agents appear to be the ones benefiting most from the system we have now.

FAX

Agreed. When the next collective bargaining agreement is eventually figured out, containing rookie signing bonuses is a must. Given the Matt Ryan contract, it will be a very scary thing indeed if the Chiefs find themselves in a situation next year where they're looking to take a QB early in round 1.

I can't imagine veteran players would object to this, either. If I'm Peyton Manning, I'm thinking things are pretty screwed up right now, as I ask my personal chef to start preparing lunch.

Short Leash Hootie
06-07-2008, 12:29 PM

This logic simply doesn't work or Brady Quinn would have been paid like the #3 pick last year...

Short Leash Hootie
06-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing. If he couldn't get Bowe in camp at #24 or whatever he was picked at, it's a serious risk with our second pick at 17. We got the cash. Pay them. Seriously...

Bowe was slotted right behind Brady Quinn...so of course his agent was trying to use Quinn's contract as leverage...that made sense.

MIAdragon
06-07-2008, 12:44 PM

How so, IIRC the largest contract for a MLB draft pick was Upton in 05 and he got 6.1mil.

DeezNutz
06-07-2008, 01:02 PM
How so, IIRC the largest contract for a MLB draft pick was Upton in 05 and he got 6.1mil.

Even though it increases every year, sometimes more than others, the slotting system is much more fixed. In the NFL, players don't usually drop because of signability issues. Obviously this happens all the time in MLB, thus further creating a divide between the small and big-market teams.

Ultra Peanut
06-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Calling it: Carl pisses him off so much that he bolts as soon as he's a free agent.

Reerun_KC
06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Calling it: Carl pisses him off so much that he bolts as soon as he's a free agent.
Not the first time that has happened...

I have a feeling Carl will leave the Chiefs in worse shape than he found them...

Count Zarth
06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I have a feeling Carl will leave the Chiefs in worse shape than he found them...

You're full of poo poo.

If this draft pans out Carl will leave the Chiefs in great shape.

dirk digler
06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
So help me God, Carl...everyone & his grandmommas grandmomma knows we have the money.

I understand a bit of haggling, thats just a part of it...but he better have this guy in camp, there ARE no excuses anymore.

Contract > Carls ego.

Yep totally agree. If he isn't in camp it is all on cheap ass Carl.

Color Red
06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
In defense of Carl, and I often don't want to defend him, the hard ass reputation he has for dealings with people like John Tait and Jared.. who? ...I always remind myself he is trying to manage the Hunt money from the other side of the desk. If it seems he is a tight wad, I just remember he is trying to manage as much salary budget for the team to bring and keep other talent. Especially with the amount of rookie talent they laid hold of this year in the draft. You can't make them all billionaires, and you can't win with just one of them.

Spott
06-08-2008, 08:11 AM

We were a 4 win team when he came in and we are still a 4 win team. I like how Carl is always a complete tightass when it comes to 1st round draft picks and franchise players, yet the Chiefs have no problem raising ticket prices every single year.

Farzin
06-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Call me crazy but I think Carl will get these guys signed.

He is well aware that Clark Hunt is keeping a close eye on him, and if Carl does not get these guys signed on time, Clark will be very un-happy with him. So hopefully with him under pressure, he'll get the negotiating done.

Buehler445
06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Call me crazy but I think Carl will get these guys signed.

He is well aware that Clark Hunt is keeping a close eye on him, and if Carl does not get these guys signed on time, Clark will be very un-happy with him. So hopefully with him under pressure, he'll get the negotiating done.

I'm not that optomistic. While Clark may be keeping an eye on him, he hasn't said anything publicly about him being on the hotseat. From public comments, there is no reason for anyone to think that Carl is in hot water. At least not hot enough to break the bank on 2 first rounders. If anything, having 2 first rounders may be more incentive for him to control costs.

Rain Man
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Man, Trezelle Jenkins hopped a plane to KC and signed immediately. Trezelle Jenkins was no dummy.

chiefs1111
06-08-2008, 12:49 PM
man,every time I hear the name Trezelle Jenkins, I just shake my head........ really dropped the ball on that one

R&GHomer
06-08-2008, 01:39 PM

That would be pretty damn hard to do. Carl has ****ed up alot, but he's not stupid. Besides, I don't think he's running the show like he did before Lamar passed. Clark's got his eyes on him. I don't know if they'll be signed on time, just thinking the odds are better than they used to be.

Reerun_KC
06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
That would be pretty damn hard to do. Carl has ****ed up alot, but he's not stupid. Besides, I don't think he's running the show like he did before Lamar passed. Clark's got his eyes on him. I don't know if they'll be signed on time, just thinking the odds are better than they used to be.
Fair enough...

Messier
06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
man,every time I hear the name Trezelle Jenkins, I just shake my head........ really dropped the ball on that one

Art Shell....ohh Art.

Rausch
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Carl will leave the Chiefs before Dorsey and Albert do...

Rausch
06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
the force is strong with this one....

The force is useless if he's stuck on Endor with a bunch of fat muppets...

FAX

What an awesome concept!!

That thought just made my day.

FAX

KCTitus
We were a 4 win team when he came in and we are still a 4 win team. I like how Carl is always a complete tightass when it comes to 1st round draft picks and franchise players, yet the Chiefs have no problem raising ticket prices every single year.

Good stuff...right out of the Lexicon.

I dont have my media guide handy, but I think KC's had some seasons where they won more than 4 games.

If you dont like the ticket price, dont buy them. It's quite simple.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2008, 06:37 PM

We can only hope

Rausch
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Good stuff...right out of the Lexicon.

I dont have my media guide handy, but I think KC's had some seasons where they won more than 4 games.

If you dont like the ticket price, dont buy them. It's quite simple.

Nice to have you back.

It's your favorite time of year...:evil:

KCTitus
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice to have you back.

It's your favorite time of year...:evil:

Yes, draft/FA time brings the Genious (chiefsplanet spelling) out in the open. Good hunting.

I have to say, the Herm Edwards led team has left me passionless for this club. Im just waiting until both he and Carl are gone.

Maybe then, in 2010, KC Chiefs football will be fun again.

blueballs
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Today Sunday June 8
#1 signed - #3 signed - #4 signed
Training Camp July 24

HOLY SHIT