PDA

View Full Version : Video Games What are the funnest games for the Wii?

Ari Chi3fs
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
So, my son finally earned his $100 towards the Wii, and we picked one up today. Right now, we only have the Wii Sports.

He is so proud of himself that he was able to earn $100 towards the system. It gave him the feeling of accomplishing a goal and pride that he can do what he sets his mind to.

Now, we need some cool games. He is 6.5 years old and just ordered the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga for him...

what other ones are great out there?

Id appreciate it.

Dunit35
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Mario Kart.

We've had it for about a week and play it non stop.

KevB
06-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Second the Kart recommendation. Mario Galaxy also gets a lot of play in my household from my kids (same age group as yours).

DaFace
06-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Mario Kart seems to be the game that has the best replay value for me at least. Galaxy is fun, and I'd imagine it would be great for the kiddies. I got tired of it after a while though. Same with Paper Mario - fun game, but gets old after a while for adults.

For fun "adult" games, I really enjoyed Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Super Smash Bros. is fun as well, but gets a little repetative.

If he likes sports Pro Evolution Soccer is awesume.

Boom Blox and Lego Indy Jones are both getting great reviews right now, but i have yet to play them.

Wii Fit is fun, but im not sure how much fun for a kid??

SBK
06-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Mario Kart Wii is the best game I have ever played.

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, are musts with any Nintendo gaming console.

It's almost worth getting a Wii just for Mario Kart.

The Mario games though have gotten progressively shittier after Mario64

Valiant
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Good luck.. All the really fun games are always sold out.. And depending on age he should be fascinated for awhile.. Most people I know get burnt out quick on it unless you use it just for a drunk partying with the womenfolk..

Sure-Oz
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I am still waiting on purchasing a wii...still looking everyday online and hoping...

gf wants one bad after playing her dads. we did get a controller today with a gift card we had. hopefully ill get one online in hte next 2 weeks

phisherman
06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
try wal mart. we tried to find them forever with no luck, but one day i just happened to be shopping at wal mart during the day and they had some.

little jacob
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
one dealing with grammar might be a good idea

Molitoth
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Guitar Hero 3 is still my favorite. I'm thinking of selling Mario Kart, sick of it.

stlchiefs
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
It's almost worth getting a Wii just for Mario Kart.

That's what I did. I bought a Wii, Mario Kart, and extra controller and an extra steering wheel. The game is awesome and free online play makes it even more fun. Highly recommended.

Sure-Oz
06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I ordered a wii earlier for the gf for her bday...super smash bros. bundle that has 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks, SSB, and wii sports. $350 online from toysrus....

How can i get my hands on a mario kart and Wii Fit? I really doubt ill get wii fit, i more so want mario kart for her...

Delano
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Zack and Wiki is a fun game.

Sure-Oz
06-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Anyone know why mario kart wii is not available anywhere and how often places restock games?

I did sign up for re-stock notices at buy.com and toysrus.com

Redrum_69
06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Manhunt

DaFace
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Anyone know why mario kart wii is not available anywhere and how often places restock games?

I did sign up for re-stock notices at buy.com and toysrus.com

It's odd to me that they're out of stock on a game. The Wii system obviously takes a while to put together, but they can crank out thousands of games a minute in a production facility. There's no reason I know of that they shouldn't have it in stock unless they were just completely caught off guard by the demand.

Nintendo seems to be buying into the whole "underproduce to build demand" model lately.

Sure-Oz
06-12-2008, 12:16 PM
It's odd to me that they're out of stock on a game. The Wii system obviously takes a while to put together, but they can crank out thousands of games a minute in a production facility. There's no reason I know of that they shouldn't have it in stock unless they were just completely caught off guard by the demand.

Nintendo seems to be buying into the whole "underproduce to build demand" model lately.

I know it came out late april but ive looked online everywhere and they are backordered...it must be the demand. I guess its "the" game to get along with Wii Fit. Kind've frustrating...took me awhile just to get a Wii for the gf

Ceej
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know where you're located, but I work at Sam's here in Wichita and we've had Mario Kart for awhile.

I'm not condoning paying $35 or $40 for a membership there, but if you have someone who has a card be sure to check out your local "club."

Sure-Oz
06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't know where you're located, but I work at Sam's here in Wichita and we've had Mario Kart for awhile.

I'm not condoning paying $35 or $40 for a membership there, but if you have someone who has a card be sure to check out your local "club."

Thanks, my gf's parents have a costco card and her friend has a sams, so i may check both! Online its near impossible to find anything that isnt from a 3rd party that is $80 and up, ridiculous

SLAG
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Most fun

Sure-Oz
06-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Found the MK Wii locally around and drove to oak grove mo, i looked at walmart.com and did a search and they were the only two within a 100 mile radius to have one "low in stock" i was lucky to get there and get it, my gf will be stoked tomorrow....every place ive looked in store has not had it and online is near impossible to find one for $49 and from a reliable merchant so...

im feelin good!:D

Ceej
06-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Very nice. Enjoy. The game is a blasty blast.

Ari Chi3fs
06-12-2008, 04:20 PM
The mostest funnest games that we have played so far, are MarioKart, which we rented... and Sonic/Mario Olympics... and Star Wars Lego.

We bought the Star Wars Lego used at Amazon.
Bought "The Bigs" used at Game Stop
and I just bought the Legend of Zelda game, as my wife loves that series. So, good times... in fact, some of the most mostest funnest times, evar!

Deberg_1990
06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
OK....id like to add a new one.

Lego Indiana Jones. Very very cool and alot of fun. Very faithful to the films as well.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Mario Kart Wii for sure

Sure-Oz
06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Anyone know if its worth getting the Wii Component cable for HDTV's? Does it help make the picture a bit better on those tvs?

Deberg_1990
06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyone know if its worth getting the Wii Component cable for HDTV's? Does it help make the picture a bit better on those tvs?

Ive got the off-brand one i bought from one of the local gaming stores. Works good for me, and yes any component cable will bring you a better picture than the standard cables.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Well worth it - much crisper picture. Once you use it if you see it on normal cables it will look blurry to you

ArrowheadHawk
06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
I have been playing Godfather:Blackhand Edition. It is pretty fun for adults. It is like a grand theft auto for the wii. Beware though it is rated M.

Silock
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Just picked up Boom Blox. I dig it.

Deberg_1990
06-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Just picked up Boom Blox. I dig it.

Thats getting great reviews.

Guru
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
OK....id like to add a new one.

Lego Indiana Jones. Very very cool and alot of fun. Very faithful to the films as well.

What are the Wii specific controls for that?

Deberg_1990
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
What are the Wii specific controls for that?

What do you mean?

It uses the regular controller plus the nunchuck. You can use the controller to swing the whip but i just use the buttons instead.

Guru
06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
What do you mean?

It uses the regular controller plus the nunchuck. You can use the controller to swing the whip but i just use the buttons instead.

Thats what I meant. I always wonder what weird control they will stick into a game just to say they designed it for the Wii.

Deberg_1990
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Thats what I meant. I always wonder what weird control they will stick into a game just to say they designed it for the Wii.

haha.....most games dont really need the gimmick of the special Wii controller.

Silock
06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
haha.....most games dont really need the gimmick of the special Wii controller.

Yup. That's why I buy most games for the Sexbox360. Everything that's really Wii-controller intensive gets bought for Wii.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-25-2008, 07:09 AM
This is an excellent investment if the Wii gets a lot of playing time and you find yourself going through batteries a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1214399350&sr=8-1

I have one and it is great

KC Kings
06-25-2008, 07:50 AM
My favorite is Guitar Hero, but it pisses me off you can't download new songs for the Wii. Mario Cart has gotten a lot of play, and Super Mario Galaxy was the funnest to play. That game has the most unique design of any game I have ever seen, and if you have younger kids they can use the pointer to help you out by getting star bits and holding back/shooting enemies.

Wii Carnival is horrible and a waste of money. Medal of Honor is a lot of fun, especially if you have the zapper, but I don't get to play it much with the little kids around.

KC Kings
06-25-2008, 07:59 AM
This is an excellent investment if the Wii gets a lot of playing time and you find yourself going through batteries a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1214399350&sr=8-1

Maybe I got a lemon, but I bought this POS and would not recommend it. I paid $30 for it back around Christmas time. You have to take the gloves off of your controlers to charge them, and I have to use a rubber band to get any controller to charge on the right side bay. The charges only last me around 3 hours, and in less than 2 months one of the batteries would only hold a charge for 30 minutes.

I finally gave up on it and bought a 40 pack of Kirkland brand AA bateries from Costco for $10. These cheap batteries last at least twice as long as the Nyko's did on a charge.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Maybe I got a lemon, but I bought this POS and would not recommend it. I paid $30 for it back around Christmas time. You have to take the gloves off of your controlers to charge them, and I have to use a rubber band to get any controller to charge on the right side bay. The charges only last me around 3 hours, and in less than 2 months one of the batteries would only hold a charge for 30 minutes.

I finally gave up on it and bought a 40 pack of Kirkland brand AA bateries from Costco for $10. These cheap batteries last at least twice as long as the Nyko's did on a charge.

Wow, that is totally different description than my experience, although it is true you have to take the gloves off the controllers but I didn't use those anyway so that's why it didn't bother me. Everything else has been great, sorry to hear about your experience.

Guru
06-27-2008, 12:35 AM

Does nobody use the Energizer rechargeables that charge in 15 minutes?

Sure-Oz
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Just got my Component cable and changed to 480p on the Wii, HUGE difference on clarity on the hdtv

Thanks guys

Donger
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Looks like my critters want one of these Wii things. Question: I see that you can buy a component out cable to get 480p, but that's not 16:9, right?

WTF didn't they up the resolution?

Sure-Oz
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Looks like my critters want one of these Wii things. Question: I see that you can buy a component out cable to get 480p, but that's not 16:9, right?

Once you get the C. cable update the settings on the Wii, to 16:9 and 480p, i believe orig. settings are 480i and 4:8 whatever the **** is normal...480p is progressive scan, like regular dvd output with that cable, no hd for Wii....

Highly suggest if you have an HDTV to get it, actually its a must, for your eyes and looks like it belongs. Its really fuzzy and blocky with the reg. wire, its more sharp after the fact.

Donger
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Once you get the C. cable update the settings on the Wii, to 16:9 and 480p, i believe orig. settings are 480i and 4:8 whatever the **** is normal...480p is progressive scan, like regular dvd output with that cable, no hd for Wii....

Highly suggest if you have an HDTV to get it, actually its a must, for your eyes and looks like it belongs. Its really fuzzy and blocky with the reg. wire, its more sharp after the fact.

Okay, thanks. As long as it does 16:9 and 480p.

Sure-Oz
06-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Okay, thanks. As long as it does 16:9 and 480p.

:thumb:

Deberg_1990
06-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Because Nintendo is always behind in the "techie" department.

They were slow to adopt online gaming as well.

I have an HDTV 16:9 and the Wii games look pretty dang good on it.

Wii games are not meant to look as good as X-Box and PS3 games anyways.

Guru
06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Because Nintendo is always behind in the "techie" department.

They were slow to adopt online gaming as well.

I have an HDTV 16:9 and the Wii games look pretty dang good on it.

Wii games are not meant to look as good as X-Box and PS3 games anyways.

I used to think I wouldn't care about the Wii not being HD. After I got my HDTV I threw that outlook right out the window. Wii looks like shit now. heh

Still fun though.

Sure-Oz
06-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I used to think I wouldn't care about the Wii not being HD. After I got my HDTV I threw that outlook right out the window. Wii looks like shit now. heh

Still fun though.

Do you have the component cable? its def. not up to par graphics wise to xbox or ps3 but its not bad....simple pretty much

PastorMikH
06-28-2008, 11:39 AM

We just bought rechargable NiMH batteries and a charger. We are running 4 wii remotes and have batteries for each plus 4 extras on the charger. Works fine for us and if I need AA batteries for something else, we have them charged and ready to go.

PastorMikH
06-28-2008, 11:44 AM
As for games, We have several that I would recommend

Mario Galaxy has been fun for everyone.

Call of Duty 3 was decent as well

Metroid was a lot of fun for me, the kids never got into it.

Mario/Sonic Olympic games is our newest and is seeing a lot of playing time - It's actually a decent cardio workout at times too.

I picked up Blazing Angels out of Walmart's clearance bin. If you like flying, it's fun. The Nunchuck works like the stick of a plane. It's not a $50 game though.

Lego Star Wars was fun - with the Wii you get all 6 episodes.