PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 6/7

ChiefRon
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/07/qa_with_herm_edwards__67/

Highlights
HERM EDWARDS: “I think it’s exciting for a lot of the young guys to go into Arrowhead [stadium]. They haven’t been in there and they can get a feel of what it’s going to be like when the season starts as far as the fans. It’s been a good four days [of mini-camp and we have one more day left to get in some work. I told them that we’re coming to the point where by tomorrow we’ve got about 400 plays that we’ve practiced after five days of work. The more that we practice the more we can go through things that help evaluate the players.”

Q: Did you get done today all that you wanted to get done?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. We didn’t do two-minute [drill] but we’ll do it tomorrow. We have certain things every day that we try to get in as far as field position. The entire offense will be in as well as the defense when we go to training camp. The only thing that won’t be in probably is goal-line.”

Q: Is there a difference between an OTA and what you do in a regular practice?

EDWARDS: “No, there’s really not, not really. Mini-camp you can really have two practices but OTA’s they can only be on campus for six hours. There is a little bit of a distinction there.”

Q: But as far as the way you are handling it…

EDWARDS: “No.”

Q: You’ve got a lot of situations where it may come down to veteran versus young guy. If it’s a tie does the job go to the young guy?

EDWARDS: “If it’s a tie then that means the young guy deserves to play too. That’s what you find out and you keep trying to create that as the season goes. That’s OK. Now, at certain positions you’d like for it to work its way out. You don’t hope for that on the offensive line because they’ve got to play together. At certain skill positions I have no problem letting that guy play for us.”

Q: What positions are competitive out there?

EDWARDS: “The wide receiver position is, I think, very competitive. The secondary will be very competitive. D-line I think is just a matter of rotation. The offensive line I think we kind of feel good about the guys we have and that’s just a matter of how guys participate and play. The line is always hard because you can’t really get a true evaluation of them until they get pads on. That’s when you really find out.

“Our return game is kind of important as is who is going to be our kicker. There are some spots.”

Q: How’s BJ Sams done?

EDWARDS: “He’s coming off knee surgery and [Kevin] Robinson is the other [returner]. [Jamall]Charles from Texas we think can run kickoffs back. I think we’ve got some guys who can run punts back, some guys who can run some kickoffs back; now we’ve got to get better at it because we were very, very poor at it last year in the return game. We were good defending it for the most part but we weren’t very good at field position.”

Q: Don’t you want to get a kicker you can stick with so you don’t have to go through what you did last year bringing new ones in?

EDWARDS: “Yeah you’d like for the guy to be the guy. Competition has been good but we’re only going to take two to camp though. That’s the key and from there we’ll figure out who’s the guy.”

Q: Has Dwayne Bowe been an outgoing guy this year compared to last? Are you nervous about that?

EDWARDS: “I don’t think he was ever in a shell to be quite honest. He’s an emotional guy and plays with a lot of passion. He likes practicing football and likes playing football. That’s why you draft a guy like that. We said that last year. I think he’s more comfortable now in his second year. He had a pretty good rookie season for us. You like guys like that. It’s never negative.”

Q: With so many young guys have you noticed the raising of the energy level?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, you see that every day in how we do things. Competition is good and the young guys bring energy every day to practice. The veterans have good energy. I think the camaraderie has been good.”

Q: The fans bring a certain degree of energy, too, don’t you think, particularly at an open practice like this in the stadium?

EDWARDS: “I think for our fans they’re getting a good look at these young guys.”

Q: Would you like to do more of these open practices in the spring?

EDWARDS: “The travel part is the hard part. One or two of them are fine. The one here is really good and if you go somewhere else one more time is not bad either.”

Q: Do you hope to get anything out of the trip to St. Joe?

. EDWARDS: “I think it is good for our young guys going to the stadium and it’ll be good for them to get on a bus and go somewhere and practice like it’s a road game. Give ‘em a sack lunch and an apple and bring ‘em back like high school football. It forms camaraderie and that’s not a bad thing. Sometimes guys get stale and it’s good to change things.””

Count Alex's Wins
06-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Give ‘em a sack lunch and an apple and bring ‘em back like high school football. It forms camaraderie and that’s not a bad thing.

Oh, Herm. High school football was your calling. You missed it.

Reerun_KC
06-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Has there ever been a coach with so much to say, but it means so little to hear him say it?

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Has there ever been a coach with so much to say, but it means so little to hear him say it?

Has there ever been a poster who harps on every little thing he can about a head coach?

rambleonthruthefog
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
[Jamall]Charles from Texas we think can run kickoffs back.

thats what i'm talkin bout. guy that fast needs to get a shot a runnin' those puppies back.

MichaelH
06-07-2008, 05:33 PM

:clap: I liked it. Hermie should run for office. He's well rehearsed.

Farzin
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I was there today taking photos on the sidelines and got interviews with LJ, Dorsey and Hali.

Count Alex's Wins
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I was there today taking photos on the sidelines and got interviews with LJ, Dorsey and Hali.

Keep on rocking!

Farzin
06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Keep on rocking!

Haha thanks man.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Care to post the photos or the transcript to the interview?

Farzin
06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Care to post the photos or the transcript to the interview?

Yes--I will do that tomrrow. The interviews I do not know, but you can catch my show..the "Chiefs Endzone Show" on the itunes music store for free.

Farzin
06-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I'll try to start a thread..but for some reason I'm not allowed to..Can someone help me out?

FAX
06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
You have to agree to hate Nick first, Mr. Farzin.

FAX

Skip Towne
06-07-2008, 07:15 PM
You have to agree to hate Nick first, Mr. Farzin.

FAX

Yeah, it's in the user agreement.

milkman
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Has there ever been a poster who harps on every little thing he can about a head coach?

Ya know, he does harp on every little thing Herman ****ing Edwards does, but in this case he's dead on.

Herman ****ing Edwards could fly the Goodyear Blimp with all the hot air coming out of his mouth.

Skip Towne
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Ya know, he does harp on every little thing Herman ****ing Edwards does, but in this case he's dead on.

Herman ****ing Edwards could fly the Goodyear Blimp with all the hot air coming out of his mouth.

:LOL:

Chiefs=Good
06-07-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/07/qa_with_herm_edwards__67/

Q: Don’t you want to get a kicker you can stick with so you don’t have to go through what you did last year bringing new ones in?

Has there ever been a more idiotic question asked? Jeez Rhonda no, no we dont want a good, consistent kicker... :shake:

blueballs
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 6/8
Jun 08, 2008, 2:00:47 PM

Highlights

Q: Brand Albert got hurt out there today.

HERM EDWARDS: “Yeah, he turned his ankle a little bit. He should be fine. It’s sore but he’ll be ok.”

Q: You had a few guys not working today.

EDWARDS: “Yeah, [Damion] McIntosh was sore, Larry [Johnson] we took out. Brian [Waters] is still sore with a groin. Donnie [Edwards] is still sore with the hamstring. Patrick [Surtain] we gave a rest. He got his senior card today. They’ve been going for four days and this was the fifth day. The same thing will happen in training camp. There will be some guys who will go three or four practices in a row and you’ll give a couple of them off – especially if they’re veteran guys.”

Q: After the fifth day how did they look today?

EDWARDS: “That was the key: yesterday was really easy to practice ‘cause you’re in the stadium and you’ve got our fans hollerin’ and hootin’. It was planned this way. You really would have liked to have ended it yesterday. This is what you’ve got to get through. This was like a training camp day to me. You’ve had a couple of hard practices and then all of a sudden you get to that next practice and you say, ‘man, this is really tough.’ I told them the intent has to be we have to get better today and, I think for the most part, it was good. The two-minute [drill] was really good. They were tired; they were fatigued and they had to think. We cut some things down but we did a lot of team things.”

Q: Tony Gonzalez has been away with the birth of his child but he comes back in and he seems like he’s catching everything in sight. Can you talk about him picking up this new offense?

EDWARDS: “He was here in the off-season a lot more than he’s been. He’s not been here for the OTA’s but he was here early and met with [offensive coordinator] Chan [Gailey] and the offensive coaches. I think he kind of likes what we’re going to do with our offense. We’ll have the ability to get him the football. Tony’s a workaholic kind of guy even when he’s not here. That’s what you like about him and why he goes to Hawaii [Pro Bowl] every year.”

Q: The rookie tight ends you brought in seem to be jumping right into this thing.

EDWARDS: “This is a pretty good tight end group I think. The big guy [Cottam] has a chance to be a good player and he’s got a good guy to look up to in Tony.”

Q: When you have the good tight ends does that reduce the pressure on you to find a fullback a little bit?

EDWARDS: “It does some and that was what our mindset was. The good thing about Chan is he’ll use the players that he has available and will play that way.”

Q: Would you put Michael Merritt at fullback?

EDWARDS: “He could do that; he could motion. But he’s really good at the line of scrimmage and it’ll be kind of interesting when he can participate.”

Q: Next week is your last week and they’re done until training camp. Do decisions have to be made?

EDWARDS: “We have to let 12 [players] go before we even get to training camp. We’ll talk about that this week – about some guys who are on the bubble. Then we’ll decide. It’ll be tough because this is a good group of guys. It’s always hard sometimes to cut guys. Some seasons you go through and you can figure out who those guys are. But this is one of those times the guys you cut are pretty good ballplayers. They’ve come in and competed.”

Q: Your thoughts on the wide receivers as a group – especially your two and three guys.

EDWARDS: “I’ll tell you what: there is a bunch of guys right there that we feel good about. That’s good. Bowe is obviously at the head of the class right now and it’s good that he is. He needs to be. Generally your second year – and it’s something we’ve talked about – is always a tough year in pro football. We don’t want him to have one of those years where he’s trying to find himself. He needs to continue to improve and get better.”

Q: Brian Johnson has that good first step. Is he playing well?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, he is. That’s what we liked about him. He’s got a great motor and is a pretty big guy. He’s 260-and-something pounds. He’s big, can run and has a great motor.

ChiefRon
06-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Oops, didn't see you posted the 6/8 transcipt in this thread...my bad...

blueballs
06-08-2008, 02:34 PM
no worry
only people who really care
have pucker issues

Count Alex's Wins
06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
All the reports I've read on Johnston are very positive. He doesn't sound like a 7th-round pick at all. I think he's going to be Jarrad Page II.

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2008, 02:54 PM
All the reports I've read on Johnston are very positive. He doesn't sound like a 7th-round pick at all. I think he's going to be Jared Allen II.

FYP

Reerun_KC
06-08-2008, 03:27 PM
:clap: I liked it. Hermie should run for office. He's well rehearsed.
Well he would get my vote...