PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Post your evaluations of today's mini-camp here......

John_Wayne
06-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Any players you thought looked good or impressed you? Any one disappoint or surprise?

- LJ looked like he's doing fine

- Devard Darling looks bigger than I thought he would

- DuJaun Morgan made a spectacular diving play by slapping away a ball right before the WR could catch it.

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
- Devard Darling looks bigger than I thought he would

Taller or just more swoll?

He's a big boy. 215.

- DuJaun Morgan made a spectacular diving play by slapping away a ball right before the WR could catch it.

Nick talked about that. He thinks Morgan is going to push Pollard.

John_Wayne
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I want Barth to win the kicking job. He's young, his kicks looked good and he didn't miss.

John_Wayne
06-07-2008, 03:36 PM

He's a big boy. 215.

Not taller, just BIG. He's 6'0" tall. But, he looked like he's built thick.

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Not taller, just BIG. He's 6'0" tall. But, he looked like he's built thick.

Yep. That seems to be the type of WRs Herm likes. All of our WR are pretty thick.

Warrior5
06-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I couldn't stay for the whole thing, but...

Not a big crowd. Weather was overcast and breezy; kept things comfortable.

I know they were playing without pads, but the overall impression I got was of increased speed at almost every position;

Again, Colquitt is gold; he should be starting AFC punter in PB this year.

Cundiff and Barth, in that order, are the best kickers.

TE Cottam (#85) is BIG and looks good.

Sippio needs a haircut; Bowe ain't too far behind. Everyone else looks squared away.

John_Wayne
06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I thought Will Franklin looked good.

Warrior5
06-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Guntherfan and I have different views on the best kicker, but I think we both agree it's between Cundiff and Barth; Novak was a distant 3rd today.

Not that Cundiff is old (I think he's 28), but Barth probably has a better upside with the team's youth movement.

tomahawk kid
06-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Attendance was announced at 11,600, which is close to what they had last year (IIRC).

I was somewhat disappointed in Croyle's performance.

- Doesn't look any bigger than last season - still rail thin
- Still holds onto the ball for way too freaking long
- Still stares down the primary receiver; way too slow checking off

It seemed to me that Thigpen made more of this reps than Brody. He had a few nice completions on some roll outs. He throws very well on the run.

Thig might have looked better to me because I had lowered expectations on his performance.

Spicy McHaggis
06-07-2008, 04:20 PM

He's a big boy. 215.

As Morgan should. He seems to be a much more natural fit at safety than Pollard is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morgan is starting by the end of the season.

My question is if Morgan does beat out Pollard, does that push the larger Page over to the SS position?

blueballs
06-07-2008, 06:42 PM
some impressions from @nother bo@rd
http://www.chiefscoalition.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=79674

Deberg_1990
06-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Let me guess...

Every player looked like a future all of Famer right??

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Let me guess...

Every player looked like a future all of Famer right??

Nick actually had something negative to say about Dorsey.

blueballs
06-07-2008, 06:47 PM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=115#s=115&f=1837&t=2557015

kcchiefsus
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I want Barth to win the kicking job. He's young, his kicks looked good and he didn't miss.

He might not have missed during the actual practice but he hit the goal post 3 or 4 times before the actual practice.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM

If people gave a shit about what Nick said, they'd pay for it.

Farzin
06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
-Guys who I expect to always be good: LJ, T-Gonz, D-Bowe, Dorsey, Albert, Hali, Colquit

-DaJuan Morgan could be the real deal

-Sippio I was dissapointed with, he dropped some easy passes.

-Devard Darling impressed me. I loved when he threw the ball to a fan after his TD.

-Robinson dropped a coule kick returns, Sams wasn't droppin any.

-I'll take Billy Cundiff right now as kicker.

That was all that I wanted to let out. Fun day out there.

FAX
06-07-2008, 06:50 PM

- Still holds onto the ball for way too freaking long
- Still stares down the primary receiver; way too slow checking off

Very troubling, right there.

FAX

Skip Towne
06-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Yep. Why does that dick keep pimping Nick on here? We all know what Nick is.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Yep. Why does that dick keep pimping Nick on here? We all know what Nick is.

Maybe because life is boring as a 26 year old virgin living in their parents basement?

I think he does it for more attention.

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 06:54 PM

You don't have to tell me! Zowie! How many of you fine Chiefs fans bought subscriptions this week? They're selling like hotcakes!

Deberg_1990
06-07-2008, 06:57 PM

What he said.

Farzin
06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Whats with the hatin on Nick.

Skip Towne
06-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe because life is boring as a 26 year old virgin living in their parents basement?

I think he does it for more attention.

Or maybe just to piss us off. It's insulting.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Educate yourself please.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 07:10 PM
You don't have to tell me! Zowie! How many of you fine Chiefs fans bought subscriptions this week? They're selling like hotcakes!

The ones that bought them are chromosome-challenged ones that can't properly search on the internet for news.

How many more subscriptions need to be sold before you move out of the basement? 20,000? 50,000?

Will you be 30 still living with your parents?

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the kind words!

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Or maybe just to piss us off. It's insulting.

I get under your skin, eh?

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2008, 07:24 PM

He's the Geraldo Rivera of KC Chief beat reporters, but with way less credibility.

Skip Towne
06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I get under your skin, eh?

That WPI pimping is irritating. Go off yourself.

Count Alex's Losses
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
That WPI pimping is irritating. Go off yourself.

God always comes down from heaven and stops the bullets.

MIAdragon
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM

:spock:

Farzin
06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
He's the Geraldo Rivera of KC Chief beat reporters, but with way less credibility.

I see...well thanks for at least giving me a response with a reason. I just wanted to know why people dis-liked Nick.

From my experiences, I've liked what I've seen out of him. Jack Harry always has him on his show and he's very informative for the most part.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I see...well thanks for at least giving me a response with a reason. I just wanted to know why people dis-liked Nick.

From my experiences, I've liked what I've seen out of him. Jack Harry always has him on his show and he's very informative for the most part.

Compared to Jack Harry, I'm sure he is informative.

go bowe
06-07-2008, 07:50 PM

He's a big boy. 215.

Nick talked about that. He thinks Morgan is going to push Pollard.that's all well and good, but can he play corner back?

sounds like another huge blocker (and occasional rcvr) for herm's "power running game"...

bowe is another big blocker masquerading as a wr (but he can also catch a pass now and then)...

herm likes 'em big...

kaplin42
06-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Very troubling, right there.

FAX

True. Sadly though, not surprising at all. The team is going to be ready to go in a year or two, They will just need a QB to lead them.

kstater
06-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Heh, you know you've made it when you get to appear on the Great Jack Harry's show.

kcchiefsus
06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
How about everybody quit bitching and talk about what this thread is supposed to be about.

kstater
06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
How about everybody quit bitching and talk about what this thread is supposed to be about.

Are you new here or something?

kcchiefsus
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Are you new here or something?

I haven't posted much but I know perfectly well what the whole issue at hand is. But it gets old. I came into this thread to read about thoughts on today's minicamp. I really don't give a shit about anything else but that, at least in this thread.

FAX
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
True. Sadly though, not surprising at all. The team is going to be ready to go in a year or two, They will just need a QB to lead them.

I'm still hoping that Croyle can get the job done, Mr. kaplin42. He was an outstanding college quarterback and, in my opinion, has all the tools to make a career in the NFL. He needs to improve in some areas, though, and it sounds like he may not be making sufficient progress.

FAX

Easy 6
06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
CROYLE EATS COAL AND SHITS DIAMONDS.

Rudy lost the toss
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM

He's a big boy. 215.

his identical twin brother was supposed to start at LB at Florida State so Im sure he doesn't have any trouble building muscle. Though, I doubt he will even beat out Webb :(

Farzin
06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Does anyone else think that DaJuan Morgan and Devard Darling can be big impact players?

keg in kc
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Does anyone else think that DaJuan Morgan and Devard Darling can be big impact players?I wasn't able to go today, but going back to the draft, I thought Morgan would. My first thought that day was that he'd be starting sooner rather than later.

Darling has a chance. With any luck, both he and Will Franklin will add some production this year. I'm one of the few who isn't writing Webb off either. 6th round pick entering his third year? This should be the time he starts to shine. We may be better than expected at receiver. The question for me is whether there's anybody the Chiefs can really count on to get them the ball.

blueballs
06-07-2008, 09:15 PM
You know pre-schoolers would feel right at home here

milkman
06-07-2008, 09:20 PM
You know pre-schoolers would feel right at home here

Because your classmates told you this?

Farzin
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
The question for me is whether there's anybody the Chiefs can really count on to get them the ball.

Call me crazy, but if Bowe had a decent quarterback, he obviously would have had 1K yards (just 5 yards short last year) and he probably would have had more stats, and a better chance to win the rookie of the year. After his week 4 performance (coming off of great games agains the Vikings and the Bears) I told myself Bowe can be the real deal in the NFL if Huard can play like he did against those three teams..unfortantely Huard and Bowe connected in the endzone once after that against Detroit. Croyle and Bowe connected once against Indy.

Bowe did geat with bad QB's.

Bowser
06-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Call me crazy, but if Bowe had a decent quarterback, he obviously would have had 1K yards (just 5 yards short last year) and he probably would have had more stats, and a better chance to win the rookie of the year. After his week 4 performance (coming off of great games agains the Vikings and the Bears) I told myself Bowe can be the real deal in the NFL if Huard can play like he did against those three teams..unfortantely Huard and Bowe connected in the endzone once after that against Detroit. Croyle and Bowe connected once against Indy.

Bowe did geat with bad QB's.

If Bowe didn't have such a case of rookie dropsies, he would have been over 1200 yards last year.

Fish
06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I haven't posted much but I know perfectly well what the whole issue at hand is. But it gets old. I came into this thread to read about thoughts on today's minicamp. I really don't give a shit about anything else but that, at least in this thread.

We'll be sure to cater each thread to your expectations in the future....

Dipshit.

SBK
06-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Who has the best pizza? I like New York style, and think that Domino's sucks. Papa Johns ain't bad, but there's nothing like true New York pizza.

King_Chief_Fan
06-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm still hoping that Croyle can get the job done, Mr. kaplin42. He was an outstanding college quarterback and, in my opinion, has all the tools to make a career in the NFL. He needs to improve in some areas, though, and it sounds like he may not be making sufficient progress.

FAX

Croyle is doomed as long as Dick Curl is the QB coach.

penguinz
06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Who has the best pizza? I like New York style, and think that Domino's sucks. Papa Johns ain't bad, but there's nothing like true New York pizza.d'bronx is really good.

Reerun_KC
06-08-2008, 07:55 AM
QFT

:clap:

Smed1065
06-08-2008, 08:05 AM
As long as I am a fan or claim to be one

FYP

FAX
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM

I am no Dick lover, Mr. King_Chief_Fan. Of this, you may be certain.

However, I'm not sure that he's the problem here. Honestly, any quarterback watching any game any time anywhere knows that it's important to look off defenders, be efficient in your progressions, and get the ball out fast (actually, one of Croyle's strengths in college).

I wonder if Croyle is still nervous ... trying to do too much. That would suck.

FAX

beach tribe
06-08-2008, 11:05 AM

However, I'm not sure that he's the problem here. Honestly, any quarterback watching any game any time anywhere knows that it's important to look off defenders, be efficient in your progressions, and get the ball out fast (actually, one of Croyle's strengths in college).

FAX

I believe that all of that comes with experience Mr. Fax. One cannot fly into flying.

Deberg_1990
06-08-2008, 11:12 AM

FAX

I still see him as nothing more than a career NFL backup. Of course i want to see him succeed, but i just dont see "IT" with him.

Ari Chi3fs
06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Pollard needs to be moved to Linebacker, if Morgan is what he could be.

I like the idea of hard hitting Pollard being in the middle of things. He just needs to pack on about 15lbs of muscle.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Pollard needs to be moved to Linebacker, if Morgan is what he could be.

I like the idea of hard hitting Pollard being in the middle of things. He just needs to pack on about 15lbs of muscle.

Pollard's frame is maxed out. There's no way he can get much bigger without doing it illegally. He needs to lose about 10 lbs if you ask me.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Croyle's a third year NFL quarterback and a four year starting college QB.

If he hasn't figured out how to look off his receivers and remain calm in the pocket, there's no QB coach in the world that can help him.

Croyle's either got "it" or he doesn't. Many people here seem to think the jury is still out.

I think we'll all know by the end of the eighth game this season. If Croyle's healthy through eight.

FAX
06-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Yep. That's the deal right there, Mr. DaneMcCloud. Except that we want him looking off defenders, rather than the actual receivers.

I have been and remain in Croyle's camp, but if he's not making his reads by mid-season, something is very, very wrong.

FAX

Dave Lane
06-08-2008, 04:44 PM

He's a big boy. 215.

Morgan is going to destroy Pollard not that that is saying anything. Pollard is a Herm bust first class. OK second class since he's a second rounder

Dave Lane
06-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Croyle's a third year NFL quarterback and a four year starting college QB.

If he hasn't figured out how to look off his receivers and remain calm in the pocket, there's no QB coach in the world that can help him.

Croyle's either got "it" or he doesn't. Many people here seem to think the jury is still out.

I think we'll all know by the end of the eighth game this season. If Croyle's healthy through eight.

The jury is not out it over. I counted 3 times Croyle looked off his receiver to pick up another one.

Dave

Dave Lane
06-08-2008, 04:48 PM
My little brother Tyler had a great quote. He said

Brodie Croyle is the William Bartee of QBs.

I thought that was awesome!

Dave

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
My little brother Tyler had a great quote. He said

Brodie Croyle is the William Bartee of QBs.

I thought that was awesome!

Dave

Sounds like your little brother doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Dave Lane
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Sounds like your little brother doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

I thought it was awesome, neither one can turn their heads ROFL

Dave

beach tribe
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Yep. That's the deal right there, Mr. DaneMcCloud. Except that we want him looking off defenders, rather than the actual receivers.

I have been and remain in Croyle's camp, but if he's not making his reads by mid-season, something is very, very wrong.

FAX

Croyle looked off, and went through reads last season, and was usually popped if he got to third one.

I think the general consensus is correct. If he's not getting it done by 2/3 into next season, he probably won't be all that good, but at least he will have gotten his shot, and we'll know what we've got.

I expect him to play well.

DENCHIEFFANMURDERA
06-08-2008, 08:45 PM
They're 1976 Bucs shitty.

Easy 6
06-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Oooh, how exciting...a new turdburger to beat up on.

Now take a shot of your inhaler & go put on your protective headgear...grandmas taking you to the park!!!

58-4ever
06-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Morgan is going to destroy Pollard not that that is saying anything. Pollard is a Herm bust first class. OK second class since he's a second rounder

He is the best special teams player in the AFC. He still has plenty of room to go as a football player. And come on Dave, your English is quite sloppy. I expect more from a poster that usually has good insight.

58-4ever
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Or a Jay Cutler pancreas shitty. :)

Deberg_1990
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Croyle looked off, and went through reads last season, and was usually popped if he got to third one.

I think the general consensus is correct. If he's not getting it done by 2/3 into next season, he probably won't be all that good, but at least he will have gotten his shot, and we'll know what we've got.

I expect him to play well.

If he can stay healthy ( A HUUUGE ???) he absolutely deserves the whole year to prove himself.

By the end of the year the Chiefs will know if they need to be drafting a QB top 5 (which they will if Brody blows) or if he has what it takes to be a legit NFL QB.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Or a Jay Cutler pancreas shitty. :)

Stay down, pancreas!

dirk digler
06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I was watching the news tonight and they had some clips of Brodie. The one thing that I noticed right off is that in 3-4 clips that I saw he has a bad case of happy feet. I know it is only mini-camp footage but that concerns me.

John_Wayne
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I was watching the news tonight and they had some clips of Brodie. The one thing that I noticed right off is that in 3-4 clips that I saw he has a bad case of happy feet. I know it is only mini-camp footage but that concerns me. Peyton Manning has happy feet.......AND Happy Feet was a blockbuster movie. So, I'd say that Brodiee is just fine with happy feet.

donkhater
06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm in the Brodie camp. Mainly because this team hasn't had the guts (or ability?) to allow a young player to grow into that position in a long time. I understand it's a high risk move, but it's also a high reward move--one great teams make.

Now this isn't true for every QB that comes into the league, but I've heard it said by more than one analyst/player/coach that it takes at LEAST 30+ starts in order for a QB to feel comforatble with all they have to do within an offense. Brodie's had what? 9 starts? Behind the worst offensive line in football last year?

I think happy feet, looking off receivers, holding onto the ball too much are things fans like to cling to when evaluating a QB that is struggling, but if you look at the top QB's in the league, they do all those things, too. Trent Green didn't look off defensers much and was MADDENING at how long he hung onto the ball. The important things are a QB's decision-making, leadership and getting the ball into the hands of play-makers so they can make plays (coolness, accuracy, etc). All those things result from playing time and improving the talent around him.

As far as Pollard, he is a kick-ass special teams player. So on that note one can hardly call him a bust. If he spends his career in KC or elsewhere as that impactful of a special teamer with the ability to backup or start at safety in a pinch, he will find plenty of teams willing to employ him.

Demonpenz
06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Why didn't they run any oklahoma drills

beach tribe
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm in the Brodie camp. Mainly because this team hasn't had the guts (or ability?) to allow a young player to grow into that position in a long time. I understand it's a high risk move, but it's also a high reward move--one great teams make.

Now this isn't true for every QB that comes into the league, but I've heard it said by more than one analyst/player/coach that it takes at LEAST 30+ starts in order for a QB to feel comforatble with all they have to do within an offense. Brodie's had what? 9 starts? Behind the worst offensive line in football last year?

I think happy feet, looking off receivers, holding onto the ball too much are things fans like to cling to when evaluating a QB that is struggling, but if you look at the top QB's in the league, they do all those things, too. Trent Green didn't look off defensers much and was MADDENING at how long he hung onto the ball. The important things are a QB's decision-making, leadership and getting the ball into the hands of play-makers so they can make plays (coolness, accuracy, etc). All those things result from playing time and improving the talent around him.

As far as Pollard, he is a kick-ass special teams player. So on that note one can hardly call him a bust. If he spends his career in KC or elsewhere as that impactful of a special teamer with the ability to backup or start at safety in a pinch, he will find plenty of teams willing to employ him.

I do not count pre-seson. 6 starts for Brodie thus far.