PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Insignia flat-panel TVs

Sam Hall
06-07-2008, 07:29 PM
We're looking into high-def TVs, and I was wondering if anybody has an Insignia. The TV we're looking at is an Insignia 50'' 1080p flat-panel plasma HDTV. It's priced at $1,499.99.

If I'm watching a football game, will the picture make me feel like I'm standing on the sidelines?

KCChiefsMan
06-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I bought a 42" Insignia Plasma with 720p about a month ago for $800. It was either that or a 42" Toshiba LCD for about $1,200. So far so good, the picture is great. I went plasma because I heard that LCD's have lag in video games, but I can't confirm that but I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, so the insignia sounded good.

morphius
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I bought a 42" Insignia Plasma with 720p about a month ago for $800. It was either that or a 42" Toshiba LCD for about $1,200. So far so good, the picture is great. I went plasma because I heard that LCD's have lag in video games, but I can't confirm that but I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, so the insignia sounded good.
I picked up a Samsung 42" 720P for $888 instead, though I did look at the Insignia my web results on them were mixed. Some said good, some said complete crap and terrible service.

recxjake
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a 27"" Insignia... works great... year 1/2 old. If you want a budget flat screen go with Insignia. I get all of the locals in HD and thats all I need for Chiefs game. Excellent picture in HD and normal picture is just fine.

Buck
06-07-2008, 09:25 PM
When comparing the Insignia 42" LCD 1080p @ Walmart to the Philips 42" LCD 1080p (display models) the Philips looked much better and I went with the Philips.

Pablo
06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm shopping around for TV's at the moment. I went to Best Buy, WalMart, Sams Club, and Sears and checked around.

I noticed Insignia had a pretty nice picture, but I'm already sold on a Samsung. I looked at Philips, Sony, Samsung, Vizio, Insignia, Magnavox, and Toshiba.

I'm looking at 32" LCD's, as my armoire won't fit anything bigger. I thought the Samsung had the best picture, followed up by Toshiba, Sony and then Insignia. The Magnavox and Philips were alright, and they had a Westinghouse set up that was just trash compared to the others.

Also, the LG TV's were very nice looking, but the only LG product I've ever owned was a cellphone and it was a total piece of sh*t. If they can't get a $200 cell phone right, I'm not too confident in dropping close a grand on an LG TV. And I've read a ton of customer reviews that say they've had issues with LG's out of the box and the customer service is less than desirable.

I'd recommend hitting up bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com and reading customer feedback on various brands. I've found very few unsatisfied customers with the Samsung brand, so that's an obvious selling point for me.

Sam Hall
06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I read an article saying their wasn't much difference between 720p and 1080p. Sam's Club has a 50'' Phillips Plasma 720p HDTV for $1,076. That's quite a bit less than the Insignia.

Pablo
06-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I read an article saying their wasn't much difference between 720p and 1080p. Sam's Club has a 50'' Phillips Plasma 720p HDTV for $1,076. That's quite a bit less than the Insignia.From what I've talked to people about, 1080p is for serious gamers and folks with Blu-ray players, but an XBox or PS3 will look great running in 720p, and you're not getting much benefit from watching regular ol' TV with a 1080p set.

Plenty of people probably know more about the subject though. But just give it the good ol' eyeball test. If it looks good, and there's not a whole lot of difference when you watch it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's easy to get all caught up in the technical aspects of a new TV, but you're gonna be watching the thing, so just watch it/look at it for a bit and go from there.

It also depends on the store though, Best Buy has the kind of lighting that really lets TV's pop, WalMart for instance, doesn't.

Sam Hall
06-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I will have to look around.

We have a 52'' inch projection TV, and we can't stand the picture quality. We don't want to go much smaller than 52''. The person who is helping me decide insists on a 1080p. That's why I'm leaning toward the 50'' Insignia 1080p.

The other 50'' 1080p TVs are higher priced, except for Panasonic. I assume that means the Insignia is a lower quality, but I will have to see for myself.

Smed1065
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Just to let you know most stores (retailers) have TV's set to maximum output so beware of in store displays.

Just a heads up.

Sam Hall
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I may have found a deal from Circuit City on the Samsung FPT5084 50'' Plasma HDTV.

The original price was $2,999.99. Their Web site has the new price at $1,599.99. I wonder if that's the in-store price.

Reviewers are giving it a 4.4/5.0 rating.

morphius
06-09-2008, 10:37 PM
If you are a local to KC, Omaha or Des Moines, I may recommend NFM. The price was already the lowest and when they dropped their price another $50 two weeks later all it took was a phone call and they credited my account.

kepp
06-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I read an article saying their wasn't much difference between 720p and 1080p. Sam's Club has a 50'' Phillips Plasma 720p HDTV for $1,076. That's quite a bit less than the Insignia.

That's the one I have (from Sam's Club). We love it. Looks great with PS3 and playing blu-ray. HD broadcasts look fabulous. Plus, that's $300 cheaper than I got it for back in February - you should jump on that.

Pitt Gorilla
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Get 1080p, if at all possible. Our Samsung 46" 1080p cost around 1400 from Amazon with free delivery and setup. Worth every penny.

Sure-Oz
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Did you get a warranty on yours?

I am probably going to get my future HDTV from NFM...i went yesterday and saw a beautiful 52" Sharp Aquos that i will get come august. My gf has a 32" 1080p aquos that i love too, so i can't wait to get it...

Parents own a 65" DLP Mitsubishi that was around $1500 from NFM 2 years ago that is super nice. I love the LCD's though

morphius
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Did you get a warranty on yours?

I am probably going to get my future HDTV from NFM...i went yesterday and saw a beautiful 52" Sharp Aquos that i will get come august. My gf has a 32" 1080p aquos that i love too, so i can't wait to get it...

Parents own a 65" DLP Mitsubishi that was around $1500 from NFM 2 years ago that is super nice. I love the LCD's though
I didn't pick one up, thought about it, but didn't. If I would have had a bit more cash I might have, but I have a wife that likes to guarantee that I'm broke...

Sure-Oz
06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I didn't pick one up, thought about it, but didn't. If I would have had a bit more cash I might have, but I have a wife that likes to guarantee that I'm broke...

ROFL figures...

MY gf got a 3 year warranty on hers. I probably will do the same to protect my investment as well...

gotta keep saving

Sam Hall
06-10-2008, 05:22 PM
LCDs and DLPs are two things I haven't researched yet, so I probably should just in case.

Sam Hall
06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
That's the one I have (from Sam's Club). We love it. Looks great with PS3 and playing blu-ray. HD broadcasts look fabulous. Plus, that's $300 cheaper than I got it for back in February - you should jump on that.

I'm still looking online, but that may be the choice since the others are beyond our price range. The Philips seems like a good deal considering screen size is very important to us. The $1076 price tag was the online price only.

JASONSAUTO
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I OWN a 42" LG plasma 720P also have a 55" Mitsubishi DLP 1080P my buddy has a 42" insignia. it has an lg display same tv in essence. theyve both worked well for about 6mths (the plasmas) ive had the 55" for two years and the picture is still incredible. if you use the upconvert dvd or high def input (HDMI) you cant really tell the difference oh i paid 880 for the LG (NFM) my buddy paid 800 for the insignia (best buy) they appear to be the same tv with minor changes to the trim (one's glossy one's not)

sportsman1
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I picked up a Samsung 42" 720P for $888 instead, though I did look at the Insignia my web results on them were mixed. Some said good, some said complete crap and terrible service.

Grr your kidding? I just bought a 37'' Samsung 720 p at Fry's for 829. Now you can get 42'' for bout the same? I thought I had a hell of deal lol.

As for the Insignia, its Best Buy's house brand so I'm not sure that It will last all that long. I considered it but that deal on the Samsung was hard to pass.

SBK
06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Wal-Mart has a Vizio 32" plasma for $547 right now.

kepp
06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm still looking online, but that may be the choice since the others are beyond our price range. The Philips seems like a good deal considering screen size is very important to us. The $1076 price tag was the online price only.

I looked at Philips for a comparison, but I've had problems with Philips TVs in the past, so I was unwilling to spend that kind of cash on one.

morphius
06-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Grr your kidding? I just bought a 37'' Samsung 720 p at Fry's for 829. Now you can get 42'' for bout the same? I thought I had a hell of deal lol.

As for the Insignia, its Best Buy's house brand so I'm not sure that It will last all that long. I considered it but that deal on the Samsung was hard to pass.
Yeah, it was a deal I really couldn't pass up, especially in need of a TV. Looks great hanging on the wall.

Sam Hall
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
We bought the 50'' Samsung 720p PN50A450 today from Best Buy. The picture quality impressed me compared to other plasmas its size. We're having it delivered on Friday.

The decision came down to the 50'' Samsung and a 56'' Samsung DLP 1080p projection. The 50'' Samsung looked noticeably better. Plus it's going to be a couple years before 1080p becomes the standard across the board.

TinyEvel
06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Wal-Mart has a Vizio 32" plasma for $547 right now.

I haven't had much luck with the Vizio plasmas we have at work. I think 2 of 6 crapped in the first six months.

Pablo
06-17-2008, 07:12 AM
We bought the 50'' Samsung 720p PN50A450 today from Best Buy. The picture quality impressed me compared to other plasmas its size. We're having it delivered on Friday.

The decision came down to the 50'' Samsung and a 56'' Samsung DLP 1080p projection. The 50'' Samsung looked noticeably better. Plus it's going to be a couple years before 1080p becomes the standard across the board.You can't go wrong with Samsung, and the 1080 issue doesn't really matter all that much unless you're buying a set bigger than 50". You're kinda waffling on the edge, but I'm sure the picture looks great, my 32" Samsung blows my mind, and my buddy just got a 42" Samsung and it's 720p, and it looks phenomenal. Very nice purchase fella. :thumb:

phisherman
06-17-2008, 07:22 AM
it's ok, your 720p TV will still do 1080i, which is a negligible difference from 1080p, especially considering that there is more or less no material that's produced in true 1080p.

Sam Hall
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
It's so much more clear than our last TV, we're in no hurry to get the HD source. We can actually see faces on this TV. Super Mario Galaxy looks so much better and more detailed.

luv
06-22-2008, 07:22 PM
From what I've talked to people about, 1080p is for serious gamers and folks with Blu-ray players, but an XBox or PS3 will look great running in 720p, and you're not getting much benefit from watching regular ol' TV with a 1080p set.

Plenty of people probably know more about the subject though. But just give it the good ol' eyeball test. If it looks good, and there's not a whole lot of difference when you watch it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's easy to get all caught up in the technical aspects of a new TV, but you're gonna be watching the thing, so just watch it/look at it for a bit and go from there.

It also depends on the store though, Best Buy has the kind of lighting that really lets TV's pop, WalMart for instance, doesn't.

The guy at Best Buy told us exactly what you're saying 1080p is good for serious gamers, but doesn't make much of a difference until you get to the really big screens.

We bought a 37" Insignia. Sound went out yesterday morning. I'm waiting until the man of the house comes home to see what he thinks before taking it in. Had it about 3 weeks.

Sam Hall
06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I ruled out Insignia when I went to Best Buy and compared various brands' picture qualities. The Insignia's didn't jump out at me.

Pablo
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I ruled out Insignia when I went to Best Buy and compared various brands' picture qualities. The Insignia's didn't jump out at me.Yeah..of the brands I looked at when shopping for TV's, there were a few that really stood out.

Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Sharp, LG. HP makes a very attractive TV with a great picture, but it was a bit out of my price range.

I went with the Samsung, but when I compared it side by side with Insignia, Westinghouse, Vizio, Philips, Magnavox, etc. etc. etc. it always looked much much better. Of the latter, Philips makes a pretty nice TV, the others didn't thrill me at all. I was more than willing to dish out the extra $200-300 per set for the picture and name backing quality.