PDA

View Full Version : Music Who went to Rockfest?

SPchief
06-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I went and thought Shinedown stole the show. Saliva on the other hand was really dissapointing.

boogblaster
06-08-2008, 08:15 AM
My neighbor the "ole-professor" went .. Retired college professor looking guy with a joint in one hand and a glass of wine in the other ... He probably was the guy wanting to spend the night with ya because he's too tight to rent a motel room ...

Bowser
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I went and thought Shinedown stole the show. Saliva on the other hand was really dissapointing.

Didn't go, but those were two of the bands I wanted to see. Shinedown is great, and would have loved to see them live. What happened with Saliva? And how did Trapt sound?

Demonpenz
06-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Trapt chevelle always sound decent partly because they have like an hour to play so they play the ones they have played a million times and get off before they get tired and **** up shinedown is always sweet Stone temple pilots sounded awesome. I wonder if it is because wieland voice doesn't seem like can ever blow out no matter how much he sings or does drugs. It was a nice night out there that is for sure I had a great time other than the fact i hate people and there were 50,000 of them.

Demonpenz
06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
obvouisly sometimes I can go without seeing the band hehe

Demonpenz
06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
rockfest2

SPchief
06-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Didn't go, but those were two of the bands I wanted to see. Shinedown is great, and would have loved to see them live. What happened with Saliva? And how did Trapt sound?

The lead singer of Saliva was just off on most of the songs. And on their last one, he walked off of the stage about a third of the way into it.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2008, 09:30 PM
yup, saliva sucked. Shinedown did quite well, and STP impressed me. I've never been much of an STP fan, but I enjoyed it.

I'll upload some pics later in the week if I get around to it.

Demonpenz
06-08-2008, 11:17 PM
i guess saliva has new band members>

Pablo
06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Saliva is terrible...and they just might have the most retarded, terrible lyrics ever in the history of mankind.

KCrockaholic
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
how did Theory of a Deadman do? im so jelous that KC has rockfest. ive been to two of them, then i moved to Colorado and we dont get crap out here! i hate it!

Der Flöprer
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I'll tell you a band that is not clever with their lyrics. You're right, Saliva is bad, but no one ****ing beats Buckcherry in stupid lyrics. Nobody.

KCrockaholic
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I'll tell you a band that is not clever with their lyrics. You're right, Saliva is bad, but no one ****ing beats Buckcherry in stupid lyrics. Nobody.

yeah but you gotta admit buckcherry has some kicka$$ songs. 'Crazy Bitch' and 'Next 2 you' are both great songs.

SPATCH
06-09-2008, 01:07 AM
you people need to start listening to better music. seriously.

SPchief
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
you people need to start listening to better music. seriously.

Please enlighten us with what you think is better music.

SPchief
06-09-2008, 02:19 AM
how did Theory of a Deadman do? im so jelous that KC has rockfest. ive been to two of them, then i moved to Colorado and we dont get crap out here! i hate it!
They played for about 25 minutes and were ok, but nothing special

SPATCH
06-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Please enlighten us with what you think is better music.

well bands like nickleback, saliva, shinedown, three doors down, etc. are absolutely dreadful. they make me want to shove me finger through my eyeball and swirl it around.

the bands that i like are not instantly accessible to people who like the before-mentioned "music".

here are a couple of bands i like that are a little more accessible and that just may help you down the road to having an actual good taste in music.

MUSE and Billy Talent

these bands rock. and their live shows are absolutely SICK.

give em a listen

billy talent: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=4639593

MUSE: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15049710

DaneMcCloud
06-09-2008, 03:31 AM
well bands like nickleback, saliva, shinedown, three doors down, etc. are absolutely dreadful. they make me want to shove me finger through my eyeball and swirl it around.

the bands that i like are not instantly accessible to people who like the before-mentioned "music".

here are a couple of bands i like that are a little more accessible and that just may help you down the road to having an actual good taste in music.

MUSE and Billy Talent

give em a listen

billy talent: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=4639593

MUSE: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15049710

While I totally agree with you (100%), people that listen to Shinedown & Nickelback more than likely won't get Muse (or Billy Talent).

It's like asking Miley Cyrus lovers to listen to Todd Rundgren.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2008, 07:14 AM

MUSE and Billy Talent

give em a listen

I LOVE Muse! They are amazing. However, liking Muse doesn't require I dislike other 'mainstream' rock.

morphius
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I LOVE Muse! They are amazing. However, liking Muse doesn't require I dislike other 'mainstream' rock.
eh, if Muse ever did become popular he would call them sell outs and hate them too.

Since he likes to generalize, it's only fair...

sedated
06-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Saliva sucked balls. Shinedown was good, considering I don't like them at all.

STP was f*cking amazing. We managed to get right in front of the stage for that one.

The crowd was insane, by the end of the second song it tunred into huge domino walls of people falling all over eachother. I could picture the 10 o'clock news reporting a massive riot/trampling or some sh!t. Chicks were freaking, and people were getting the hell out of there. But Scott told everyone to calm down, and the rest of the show was a lot more managable.

Plus we were right next to three chicks on top of guys shoulders, topless, making out and grabbing eachother's titties. I love rock.

Pablo
06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
eh, if Muse ever did become popular he would call them sell outs and hate them too.

Since he likes to generalize, it's only fair...Muse already are fairly popular.

I suppose rehashing Radiohead is doing wonders for them. And although that isn't an entirely true statement, I just get too strong of a Thom Yorke/Radiohead vibe when I hear any Muse song.

And Radiohead>>>>>>>>>Muse.

I didn't go to Rockfest, but the only band I would have really been interested in seeing would have been STP. That would have been pretty nice.

R&GHomer
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I went and had a pretty good time. I didn't think an extra 10k people would be such a big deal but wow, that was a mass of humanity. I think they should cap it at 40k. I had a lot more fun last year. If I didn't get back stage to these things I probably wouldn't go. Guess I'm just getting old.

bsp4444
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM

MUSE and Billy Talent

give em a listen

That's the first I've heard of Muse, and I dig 'em. Thanks for the links.

Demonpenz
06-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Muse gots some rock opera going on. I thought maybe they were going to be buzz under the stars the second concert instead it is going to be crazy gnarls barkley crazy
Crazy acoustic
crazy extended version
crazy instrumental

whatsmynameagain
06-09-2008, 11:03 AM
muse is amazing! seen them 4 times and radiohead once. muse puts on the best show. would also like to note that muse has been more consisitent in quality of music than radiohead. every muse album shows progression from theone before. id highly recommend viewing their 07wembley performance. one of the most amazing shows.

there is a show coming up in lawrence at the jackpot featuring jesse lacey from the band brand new. he is doing a solo tour at small venues and I can absolutely guarantee you it will be an incredible evening.

Posted via sprint mogul

Adept Havelock
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Retired college professor looking guy with a joint in one hand and a glass of wine in the other

Whose wine? What wine? Where the hell did I dine?

mikeyis4dcats.
06-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Saliva sucked balls. Shinedown was good, considering I don't like them at all.

STP was f*cking amazing. We managed to get right in front of the stage for that one.

The crowd was insane, by the end of the second song it tunred into huge domino walls of people falling all over eachother. I could picture the 10 o'clock news reporting a massive riot/trampling or some sh!t. Chicks were freaking, and people were getting the hell out of there. But Scott told everyone to calm down, and the rest of the show was a lot more managable.

Plus we were right next to three chicks on top of guys shoulders, topless, making out and grabbing eachother's titties. I love rock.

I was about 50' right behind you then...

sedated
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
the crwod surfers got kindof annoying. I spent half the show glancing behind me to make sure one of those assholes weren't about to kick me in the head.

they were also getting thrown into the chicks on guys' shoulders. one of them got knocked off and apparently got knocked unconscious. too bad, she had a nice rack.

Molitoth
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I didn't go to Rockfest but if I did I would've seen:

Ashes Divide
10 Years
Chevelle
Sevendust
STP

The rest of the bands are "meh or puke".

Bowser
06-09-2008, 12:58 PM
the crwod surfers got kindof annoying. I spent half the show glancing behind me to make sure one of those assholes weren't about to kick me in the head.

they were also getting thrown into the chicks on guys' shoulders. one of them got knocked off and apparently got knocked unconscious. too bad, she had a nice rack.

You should have been the nice guy and given her mouth to nipple to try and revive her.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Put up a few pics in the Picture lounge...

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American.

R&GHomer
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
They have some pics up now on the rocks websight. www.989therock.com

SPATCH
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Since he likes to generalize, it's only fair...

MUSE is pretty popular. they were a headliner at Austin City Limits Music Festival and they had a song on guitar hero III.

but you're right. i am partially a music snob. i tend to lose a little bit of interest if a band becomes "huge". example: snow patrol. i
was a big snow patrol fan four years ago, and then they started playing their songs on shows like The Hills and Grey's Anatomy. i still like their music, i just don't rave about it like i used to.

however, i reserve the term "sellout" for crap bands that deserve it, like Green Day.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
MUSE is pretty popular. they were a headliner at Austin City Limits Music Festival and they had a song on guitar hero III.

but you're right. i am partially a music snob. i tend to lose a little bit of interest if a band becomes "huge". example: snow patrol. i
was a big snow patrol fan four years ago, and then they started playing their songs on shows like The Hills and Grey's Anatomy. i still like their music, i just don't rave about it like i used to.

however, i reserve the term "sellout" for crap bands that deserve it, like Green Day.

your attitude is just as bad as loving pop. you decide it's only good music because it's not popular?

SPATCH
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
your attitude is just as bad as loving pop. you decide it's only good music because it's not popular?

i know, admittedly, its pretty sad.

i'm not as bad as some though. i still like a lot of popular music.

pkane
06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Sevendust always brings it. Can't beat them.

Theory of a Deadman did good to, great singer.

whatsmynameagain
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Hey spatula, napoleon called, said he wants his complex back.

Calling green day sell outs is pathetic. Not for one moment did they sell out. They were a 3 piece punk band that got bigger than they could have ever imagined. Their sound changed but at some point people grow up and hopefully you can hear that in their music. to be a 3 piece punk band and be relevant for 20 years is incredible. you talked about being a music snob but snow patrol? make sure to check out linkin park for buts2 ROFL!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

morphius
06-10-2008, 08:41 AM

I know that is a pretty consistent trait with some music people, it just always surprises me with which way might have to go when there is an "I told you so" moment, versus the "Sellout" internal conflict. I saw the same thing in Omaha when 311 finally broke out as well.

I like crap music, and I'm okay with it. Some crap I do, a lot I don't. Of course I don't spend a lot of time hunting down new music, nor do I really have the time to. Though Muse's whole waaalaaaaalaaaa ahhhh really did make me want to slap him around for a bit, lol. The music was pretty complex, which was cool, but the other thing I just couldn't get past. Maybe if they were heavier.

whatsmynameagain
06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I know that is a pretty consistent trait with some music people, it just always surprises me with which way might have to go when there is an "I told you so" moment, versus the "Sellout" internal conflict. I saw the same thing in Omaha when 311 finally broke out as well.

I like crap music, and I'm okay with it. Some crap I do, a lot I don't. Of course I don't spend a lot of time hunting down new music, nor do I really have the time to. Though Muse's whole waaalaaaaalaaaa ahhhh really did make me want to slap him around for a bit, lol. The music was pretty complex, which was cool, but the other thing I just couldn't get past. Maybe if they were heavier.

checkout the songs assassin, stockholm sydrome, muscle museum, glorious, darkshines, just listen to more than the radio songs. they have songs all across the spectrum in many different styles. they do a great cover of house of the rising sun by the animals

Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey spatula, napoleon called, said he wants his complex back.

Calling green day sell outs is pathetic. Not for one moment did they sell out. They were a 3 piece punk band that got bigger than they could have ever imagined. Their sound changed but at some point people grow up and hopefully you can hear that in their music. to be a 3 piece punk band and be relevant for 20 years is incredible. you talked about being a music snob but snow patrol? make sure to check out linkin park for buts2 ROFL!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

uhhhh, a napolean complex has to do with being short. not sure if you're insinuating that or what.

but i'm sorry, once you start wearing mascara and swooping your hair over one eye you can pretty much f*ck off in my book. american idiot was horrible. i would compare it to a roller coaster. it may appear dangerous, but in reality its really safe and family friendly.

QuikSsurfer
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
uhhhh, a napolean complex has to do with being short. not sure if you're insinuating that or what.

but i'm sorry, once you start wearing mascara and swooping your hair over one eye you can pretty much f*ck off in my book. american idiot was horrible. i would compare it to a roller coaster. it may appear dangerous, but in reality its really safe and family friendly.

So a big **** you to Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor

whatsmynameagain
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM

I really meant to say your a little Rump Rangergot. Dude was wearing mascara and eyeliner before dookie. noob!

SPATCH
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I really meant to say your a little Rump Rangergot. Dude was wearing mascara and eyeliner before dookie. noob!

you have got to be the most passionate defender of male mascara i have ever come across.

Brock
06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
If your song is the theme of proms across America, you're not punk.

whatsmynameagain
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
you have got to be the most passionate defender of male mascara i have ever come across.

and you have to be one of the millions of dumbasses who like to run their mouths about things they know nothing about. if I waanted to hear an asshole I would fart.

Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM

LMAO

whatsmynameagain
06-11-2008, 04:24 PM
If your song is the theme of proms across America, you're not punk.

punk is their roots but
being "punk" is more of a phase. you expected 35 year old men to act like they did when they were teens? im sure they are not as cool now because they got all political on a album calling 95% of chiefsplanet's president the american idiot. those ****ing sellouts!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
bush bashing. now that's some edgy stuff.

:clap: green day :clap:

Third Eye
06-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Green Day was, is, and will always be terrible, just like the bands at rockfest.

SPATCH
06-11-2008, 06:40 PM
[gives high five to third-eye]

Demonpenz
06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Kansas City rules. The single largest biggest rock festival one day in america

Brock
06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
punk is their roots but
being "punk" is more of a phase. you expected 35 year old men to act like they did when they were teens? im sure they are not as cool now because they got all political on a album calling 95% of chiefsplanet's president the american idiot. those ****ing sellouts!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, they're doing what every other band in America is doing, except for maybe the Charlie Daniels band.

RustShack
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
So did Rockfest... "rock"?