PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Citizen Kane can suck it..

pikesome
06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Best movie my ass. I just finished watching Seven Samurai and I'd take it any day. Over any of the Godfathers, Gone with the Wind.

Rausch
06-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I suspect you have a strong white-rock addiction...

pikesome
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I suspect you have a strong white-rock addiction...

:spock:

Kurosawa was a rare talent, top 5 if not top 1.

Rausch
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
:spock:

Kurosawa was a rare talent, top 5 if not top 1.

So feed me some theme and relevance.

Tell me why that's a top 5 film today based on the message...

Jenson71
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I've seen my share of so called the greatest movies ever. I've seen Seven Samurai but have no real desire to see it again. There are a thousand others I'd rather watch.

The Godfather Trilogy introduced me to film as more than entertainment. Still, nothing has surpassed its greatness, in my eyes.

Internationally speaking, I think Tokyo Story is considered by the top critics and directors as the best, not Citizen Kane.

Adept Havelock
06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Best movie my ass. I just finished watching Seven Samurai and I'd take it any day. Over any of the Godfathers, Gone with the Wind.

It's one of my favorite films, but I can't bring myself to call it the best ever.

old_geezer
06-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I truly love most of the old classics (after all, I am one :D). Some of my favorites - not in any special order);

Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Seven Samurai
Ikuru
The Third Man
The Treasure of the Sierra Madres
The Searchers
Fort Apache
I really like the early John Wayne films.

Frazod
06-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I've never seen Seven Samurai - it's on my WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I SEEN THIS YET? list.

Citizen Kane is excellent, but overrated.

Gone With The Wind is horribly overrated. Before there was Jar Jar Binks, there was Scarlet O'Hara. :#

Casablanca rules.

pikesome
06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I've never seen Seven Samurai - it's on my WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I SEEN THIS YET? list.

Citizen Kane is excellent, but overrated.

Gone With The Wind is horribly overrated. Before there was Jar Jar Binks, there was Scarlet O'Hara. :#

Casablanca rules.

With the obvious exception of I have seen Seven Samurai, I'm in 100% agreement.

Get the guns and MREs.

L.A. Chieffan
06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Technically speaking, Welles broke so much ground with Citizen Kane that anything made up to that point doesn't hold a candle to it.

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Best movie ever is Tango and Cash.

And the rest of you can kiss my ass.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
:shake:

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
For me,

Nothing will ever top Van Damme's legendary performace as Frank Dux in the brilliant "Bloodsport"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Omx5UquNcDI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Omx5UquNcDI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Adept Havelock
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
So feed me some theme and relevance.

Tell me why that's a top 5 film today based on the message...

Off the top of my head...

Defense of the weak against the strong, male friendship, and courage in the face of overwhelming opposition. Also, the willingness of men of honor to risk their lives for what seems to be a trivial payment to others who don't live by their ideals (be they Samurai or Soldiers).

Also, its ability to transport very convincingly transport you to another place and time (16th century Japan).

All of which are pretty timeless themes, IMO.