PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will Larry Johnson Bounce Back

Farzin
06-09-2008, 05:23 AM
This is what I wrote in my most recent blog.

I was on the sidelines at Arrowhead Stadium this Saturday during the Chiefs practice. I will talk about the practices and who has made a big impression later this week. For today, I wanted to talk about Larry Johnson and why I think he will have a better year.

Last year heading into training camp, Larry Johnson was discontented with his contract as he was scheduled to make just below $2,000,000. Johnson and general manager, Carl Peterson both came to an agreement to make Larry Johnson the highest paid running back in NFL History. Johnson was coming off of back to back 1,700 yard performances. In 2006, he broke the record for most carries in a single season. However, that is not a record Chiefs fans were thrilled to see. Many running backs end up having a disappointing career after carrying the ball that many times. Johnson eventually made training camp, but he missed out on the trip to River Falls as the Chiefs were wrapping up camp in Kansas City. When I asked Herm how he feels Johnson will bounce back, he simply said “that he’s already done that.” He added that Johnson realizes that he is the key impact player on the team, because that is how this team is shaped.

When I asked Johnson himself how confident he felt heading into training camp, he responded saying that he is real confident and he is excited to head back into River Falls because of his absence last season. I also wanted his inputs on his confidence on this offensive line and he feels that with a young offensive line, things will look better for him when he takes the ball.

The second of two first rounders, Branden Albert, was here to change this dreadful offensive line. Albert has played left guard in college, but he and the Chiefs are convinced he can play the left tackle spot. While playing in Virginia, a lot of Albert’s big blocks came through when he made big blows to line backers and even safeties on the outside. Albert has also been given advice from former pro-bowler, Brian Waters, who will be playing left guard. Those are two proven lineman on this team that many have faith in.

Last season, LJ’s support team was not at it’s best. Michael Bennet has always had great speed, but the Chiefs were unpleased with his stamina and health issues as they sent him to Tamba Bay in exchange for draft picks. Priest Holmes did not play in the NFL in nearly two years due to injuries. When Holmes was out of action, Johnson stepped up and took over. But it was Holmes who made an attempt to step up while the number one running back in Kansas City got hurt. But it wasn’t long until Holmes suffered another injury on the neck which forced him to retire. Kolby Smith, a fifth round selection coming out of Louisville in the 2007 draft, had an outstanding performance as he made his first ever NFL start against the Oakland Raiders. But many questioned if Smith could continue the success, due to Oakland’s poor run defense, ranked second to last in the NFL. Smith also had thirty-one carries, which was also a concern. Smith lead all NFL running backs in yards rushing in week thirteen, but Smith was never able to execute another big game like that again. Smith eventually went out with an injury, having the Chiefs stick in their fourth running back. The Chiefs had five key running backs throughout the season.
The Chiefs feel like they have a solution as they added the “home run hitter,” Jamaal Charles, who was a big pickup for the Kansas City in the third round of the 2008 draft. Charles was named as one of the fastest backs heading into the draft coming out of Texas. The Chiefs also have Jackie Battle and Kolby Smith on this roster. But in the end, head coach Herm Edwards feels this is a good supporting cast to give Johnson relief.

Johnson has had legal issues in the past while being a Chief as he has been on probation for attacking his ex-girlfriend at a local bar outside of the Kansas City Plaza. Many reports described Johnson as a “cancer” in the locker room. From my experiences walking into the locker room and watching Chiefs practices on the sidelines, Johnson talks to many players on the team in the locker room and on the field. Before this year, a lot of veterans were around Johnson, but this year, there are a lot of young and new players who have never been around LJ before, and from my experience, he has been talkative to his teammates on the field and in the locker room.

Larry Johnson has a contract he is delighted with. The former Penn State running back also has a better offensive line and a better group of running backs behind him. He’s slowly building close relationships with several of the new players in the locker room. He is now a player many look up to. This is Larry Johnson’s year to get in and rebound. In the interview, Johnson made a statement saying that he’s ready to get this team back in the playoffs. Not many people are firm if the “centaur” is ready for a 1,700 yard season, but he has the tools to do so. Many say the Chiefs may be a team that runs more than passes, and that could be very well the case. Johnson is a skilled running back and he has a lot of weapons around him. He can use them to not only help himself get better, but to help this team improve. The Chiefs finished last place in rushing last season. Lets see what Larry Johnson can do this year.

Let me know what you think and how many yards/td's will LJ have this year?

HMc
06-09-2008, 06:10 AM
How is it fact that the line is better at this stage?

The line certainly <B>should</b> be better but we wont know until September. And that's all thats really going to matter, IMO.

Buehler445
06-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Not a bad read. You use lots of supplimentary words that make the read long. I am kind of partial to concise reads, but that is JMO.

Here is the only thing you need to change...

When I asked Johnson himself how confident he felt heading into training camp, he responded saying that he is really confident and he is excited to head back into River Falls because of his absence last season.

Farzin
06-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Not a bad read. You use lots of supplimentary words that make the read long. I am kind of partial to concise reads, but that is JMO.

Here is the only thing you need to change...ok cool thanks man. This is actually my first blog so I'm just gettin started.

Buehler445
06-09-2008, 07:11 AM
ok cool thanks man. This is actually my first blog so I'm just gettin started.

Cool man, sounds good. Don't take anything I say as gospel. I'm no language wizard.

StcChief
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Nice I agree, LJ will bounce back, Smith,Charles will be contributors to spell LJ

Blog link ?

Farzin
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice I agree, LJ will bounce back, Smith,Charles will be contributors to spell LJ

Blog link ?

ChiefsEndzoneShow.vox.com

little jacob
06-09-2008, 08:01 AM
if he gets blocking he will. we have seen pretty clearly that with good blocking he's a great runner, but without good blocking he's not a great runner. he's a higher end running back but not one of those guys who is so good he can create holes for himself or make something out of nothing very often.

Chief Chief
06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Tamba Bay...Tamba Hali...

...Know the difference!

The OL shouldn't be any worse than last year.

I predict LJ will have 15 TDs and 1400 yards.

FD
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
1750 yards and 18 TDs

Farzin
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Tamba Bay...Tamba Hali...

...Know the difference!

The OL shouldn't be any worse than last year.

I predict LJ will have 15 TDs and 1400 yards.

It happens hehe thanks.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
How is it fact that the line is better at this stage?

The line certainly <B>should</b> be better but we wont know until September. And that's all thats really going to matter, IMO.

You are right...it is all speculation until they play well on the field when it counts. Of course it won't take much to be better than one of the worst O-lines in recent NFL memory.

FAX
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice job, Mr. Farzin. Very nice. Thanks for posting. Mr. GoChiefs is in trouble, for sure.

I think you need to concentrate on your sentence construction a little, though. For example, "Larry Johnson has a contract he is delighted with." might be better phrased as, "Larry Johnson is delighted with his current contract." It's shorter, says the same thing, and doesn't leave that pesky "with" hanging out there.

FAX

RustShack
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
2,289 yards, 36 TD's.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
LJ = 538 yards 3 TD's

Jaamal Charles = 1528 yards rushing 809 recieving 16 TD's

StcChief
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Nice job, Mr. Farzin. Very nice. Thanks for posting. Mr. GoChiefs is in trouble, for sure.

I think you need to concentrate on your sentence construction a little, though. For example, "Larry Johnson has a contract he is delighted with." might be better phrased as, "Larry Johnson is delighted with his current contract." It's shorter, says the same thing, and doesn't leave that pesky "with" hanging out there.

FAX a preposition on the end is not good sentence structure.

similar to "Where are we at"

still good work on coverage and articles.

Skip Towne
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
LJ is ruint. RUINT!!

blueballs
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Thursday, July 24, 2008
I FEEL BAD FOR LARRY JOHNSON

http://www.lombardionfootball.com/2008/07/i-feel-bad-for-larry-johnson.html

Larry Johnson is a very good back. He not only runs with power and speed, he breaks tackles along the way. However, unless he gains Superman-like powers sometime soon, I don't see how he can be productive in 2008. The Chiefs offense is going to be as limited this year as they were in 2007. Though they have changed offensive coordinators, replacing Mike Solari with Chan Gailey, the Chiefs don't have the talent to be explosive. They might fool a few teams in September with their new scheme, but come October they will be easy to defend.

Larry Johnson will see every eight-man front in existence this season. In 2007 the Chiefs finished dead last in the NFL, averaging four yards per gain on first down. In 2008 they will have to handle every type of zone dog and run blitz until they prove they can protect and throw the ball. When you are one-dimensional in the NFL and only have a running game, it is very easy for defenses to neutralize your offense.

KC's run game was strong until recently, due in part to Jason Dunn, one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. The Chiefs could run the ball strong or weak side, and when they reached the red zone you could predict that the ball was going behind Dunn.

Dunn is gone now, and there's no experienced blocking tight end in sight. That and a poor o-line means Larry Johnson is facing a tough year.

Posted by Michael at 6:00 AM
0 comments

Deberg_1990
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
1750 yards and 18 TDs

Im of the belief the Chiefs need to limit his carries to 20-25 carries a game. Also if he only gets between 1300-1500 yards a year that would be good as well. Give those extra yards and carries to Kolby and Charles.

Rausch
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
YES...

Rausch
07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Im of the belief the Chiefs need to limit his carries to 20-25 carries a game. Also if he only gets between 1300-1500 yards a year that would be good as well. Give those extra yards and carries to Kolby and Charles.

He had no injuries of any kind carrying a huge load before the freak foot injury.

He didn't hurt his knee, hip, back, any muscles or any ligaments.

No bone breaks, joint dislocations, or games missed.

NOTHING.

Priest was always hurt and always came back. Funny how the mindset was a Priest injury thought to end a career was no big deal but one freak injury by a guy with LESS than the average carries for a starting HB his age and the world is breaking.

He had one heavy-handed season. True. But people forget that he had two seasons mostly riding pine before that. It's not like he's Eddie ****ing George...

Deberg_1990
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
He had no injuries of any kind carrying a huge load before the freak foot injury.

He didn't hurt his knee, hip, back, any muscles or any ligaments.

No bone breaks, joint dislocations, or games missed.

NOTHING.

Priest was always hurt and always came back. Funny how the mindset was a Priest injury thought to end a career was no big deal but one freak injury by a guy with LESS than the average carries for a starting HB his age and the world is breaking.

He had one heavy-handed season. True. But people forget that he had two seasons mostly riding pine before that. It's not like he's Eddie ****ing George...

I would like to see his career prolonged as much as possible.

Would you rath have 2 more seasons of LJ at 360+ carries or 5 more seasons of LJ at 330-350 carries??

Chiefnj2
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
His bounce back will depend on whether the OL bounces back.

Rausch
07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I would like to see his career prolonged as much as possible.

Would you rath have 2 more seasons of LJ at 360+ carries or 5 more seasons of LJ at 330-350 carries??

I would like to see our most talented player get the ball as much as possible.

Right now that's LJ.

StcChief
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Lj - 800 to 1300 yards depending on OL
Charles - 500-1000 yards
Smith 100-500 yards