PDA

View Full Version : Football Strahan retires/Bears waive Benson/Gretz recap

Wile_E_Coyote
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Giants | Strahan to retire
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:20:01 -0700

Jay Glazer (http://www.kffl.com/link/14), of FOXSports.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/189), reports New York Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) DL Michael Strahan (http://www.kffl.com/player/1275/nfl) has decided to retire from the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl). Strahan wanted to make a decision prior to the team's minicamp this week. "It was important that my teammates knew which way I was going before they got on the field to start the work to defend our title," Strahan said from California. "It's time. I'm done." Strahan made up his mind a week ago but wanted to take the extra days to make sure his feeling on the matter was 100 percent.

<HR>

Bears | Team waives Benson
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:06:41 -0700
ESPNews reports the Chicago Bears (http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl) waived RB Cedric Benson (http://www.kffl.com/player/9175/nfl) following his second arrest in less than five weeks.

<HR>
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/09/minicamp_recamp/

Mini-Camp Re-Camp

Jun 09, 2008, 8:50:38 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/456C72BD36284140A7C7C219F3153E19.JPG?0.9862425852925083
The Chiefs got three solid days of work in with their mandatory mini-camp on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. With 92 players on their roster, they had 91 on the field in the first two workouts and 90 on Sunday.

The only player missing all three days was college free agent running back Kalvin McRae, held back because Ohio University hasn’t wrapped up its spring quarter yet. That happens this coming week. Missing on Sunday was veteran safety Greg Wesley. Although he was excused by the Chiefs, he attended both Friday and Saturday’s workouts, but did not show on Sunday.

The Chiefs have told him he will be traded or released.

The Chiefs also had a tryout player as part of the workouts, as defensive end Trevor Johnson was on the field. Johnson has played for the Jets, Saints and Rams since entering the NFL out of Nebraska as New York’s seventh-round selection in the 2004 Draft.

Here are some scenes and thoughts on these three workouts. Again, it comes with this proviso: this is June, not September. Nobody has ever made the Pro Bowl based on performances in mini-camp. The players are wearing shorts and no pads. I repeat this only because some of my e-mail indicates some fans think important decisions are being made off these workouts. These are all parts of the puzzle that will come together when the pads go on in Wisconsin and the real football begins.

Defense

It was a better week overall for the defense, as it’s apparent there are light bulbs going off over the heads of some of Gunther Cunningham’s charges. Because of various injuries and coaches’ decisions on Sunday, this was the starting base defense:
Line: Alfonso Boone, T.J. Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali.
Linebackers: Demorrio Williams, Napoleon Harris and Derrick Johnson.
Secondary: Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers, Bernard Pollard and DaJuan Morgan.Now, Ron Edwards, Donnie Edwards, Pat Surtain and Jarrad Page did not participate because of various bumps and bruises. But they shouldn’t take a very long rest because this group looked really good in working against the Chiefs No. 1 offense. When they went to the nickel, it was either Turk McBride or rookie Brian Johnston coming in at left end, with Boone moving inside and the extra DB was college free agent Maurice Leggett. Again, it’s June. But if I’m a veteran, I’d make sure I was completely ready to go by the first day in River Falls. They might get left behind in the dust.

In the two-minute drill, Flowers got it started on the first play when he dove and almost came up with an interception on a pass intended for Devard Darling. He later broke up another pass to Darling.

McBride really flashed during the last week, especially working some at left end in the nickel defense. He’s bigger this year, but seems to still have his speed and quickness. His increased confidence is visible as he goes through the workouts.

Offense

Everybody’s heart skipped a beat on Sunday when first-round draft choice LT Branden Albert got up limping after a play. He hobbled to the sidelines and received treatment from trainers and doctors on hand. Right now, the Chiefs are calling it a sprained ankle and they say it shouldn’t be anything that will hamper him come the start of camp. But his work in the OTAs is likely over. It has been an interesting couple weeks for Albert. He’s shown his outstanding physical abilities working on the left side, but he’s also hand his hands full during the mini-camp handling Tamba Hali. He’s got a lot to learn, but his athletic ability makes anything possible.

Len Dawson will like this note: the Chiefs quarterbacks are working on giving the hard count while under center. They’ve drawn a few offside calls on the Chiefs defensive line, something the Chiefs Hall of Fame quarterback feels they should have done more of in recent seasons.

The only problem right now is at least once a practice this weekend the hard count caused one of the offensive linemen to false start.

The offense had 13 plays in the two-minute drill on Sunday, but could not crack the defense’s 37-yard line. Brodie Croyle was five of 12 and was sacked once, and probably would have gone down a couple of other times if tackling was allowed.

Special Teams

It was a good week for the three kickers on the roster. Dealing with windy conditions on the practice field and inside Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday, they did a good job. They were nine for nine inside the Stadium and then with an even stronger wind, they were eight of nine on Sunday. Rookie Connor Barth had the only miss, going just right from 43 yards.

Punter Dustin Colquitt had a good day on Saturday inside Arrowhead. Dealing with the swirling winds, he had a pair of punts with a hang time of 5.6 seconds. That’s outstanding.

Again, it’s June, but special teams participation is always a good indicator of players that the coaching staff expects will be on the roster. Sunday, here was the blocking nine on the No. 1 kickoff return unit: Carr, Morgan, McBride, Jackson, Jackie Battle, Nate Harris, Pat Thomas, John Paul Foschi and Tre Stallings. Working deep as the returning duo were B.J. Sams and Rashad Barksdale, Kevin Robinson and Bobby Sippio and Jamaal Charles and Kolby Smith.
<SCRIPT src="//js-kit.com/rating-data.js?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcchiefs.com%2Fnews%2F2008%2F06%2F09%2Fminicamp_recamp%2F&p[0]=%2Fnews%2F2008%2F06%2F09%2Fminicamp_recamp&jx[0]=0"></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

L.A. Chieffan
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Jamaal Charles is the next....

El Jefe
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Where is the Strahan link?

stlchiefs
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
What's with this football news? Quit spamming the board. :)

stlchiefs
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Where is the Strahan link?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3433557

sedated
06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
wonder whats gonna happen with Benson? year suspension?

Easy 6
06-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I was inclined to give Benson the benefit of the doubt, until this latest deal.

In his most recent mugshot, he's cheesing like its no big thang.

He obviously doesnt want to play football.

Bill Lundberg
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Benson will be a Bronco in 3, 2, ...

Wile_E_Coyote
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
wonder whats gonna happen with Benson? year suspension?

Three way call with the Rat, Benson's agent and Goodell

Frazod
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
The writing was on the wall for Benson as soon as this story broke over the weekend. Angelo was tight-lipped when the boat thing happened last month. This time, he publicly voiced his displeasure, and the anger was clear in his voice.

What a dumbass. The Bears' bad luck with running backs continues.

Reerun_KC
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Three way call with the Rat, Benson's agent and Goodell

Lets hope not, We dont need another talented back in Denver, shoving the ball down the throat of the Chiefs Defense twice a year...

That is a bad idea for a troubled/yet very talented back to end up in Denver, it wouldnt bode well for the Chiefs.

Reerun_KC
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM

:clap:

HemiEd
06-09-2008, 04:51 PM
The writing was on the wall for Benson as soon as this story broke over the weekend. Angelo was tight-lipped when the boat thing happened last month. This time, he publicly voiced his displeasure, and the anger was clear in his voice.

What a dumbass. The Bears' stupidity with running backs continues.

FYP

Frazod
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
FYP

Yeah, that too.

If the Bears drop a first round pick on a QB or a RB, you can just assume he's going to suck.

HemiEd
06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, that too.

If the Bears drop a first round pick on a QB or a RB, you can just assume he's going to suck.

Pretty much, and they won't keep one that is doing well, because they drafted one too high to let go. We all know they kept the wrong guy, and today was the final stamp on that.

When they drafted Cedric Benson, they reached into a barrel of tits and pulled out a dick. Reminds me of the Chiefs and Todd Blackledge.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Good Lord!

Cedric Benson
Curtis Enis
KiJana-Carter
Raashan Saalam

Plus David Terrel and Cade McNown!

The Bears suck at drafting skill position players.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Lets hope not, We dont need another talented back in Denver, shoving the ball down the throat of the Chiefs Defense twice a year...

That is a bad idea for a troubled/yet very talented back to end up in Denver, it wouldnt bode well for the Chiefs.

You are the worst talent evaluator ever.

Benson simply sucks. He sucked last year. He's not a talented running back. He's an average one that has done nothing in the NFL.

But I would leave it to you to think everything outside of KC is top-notch.

Brock
06-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Your posts are absolutely horrific. If you think Cedric Benson is very talented, you are a straight up moron.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Good Lord!

Cedric Benson
Curtis Enis
KiJana-Carter
Raashan Saalam

Plus David Terrel and Cade McNown!

The Bears suck at drafting skill position players.

The Bengals drafted Ki-Jana Carter.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
The Bengals drafted Ki-Jana Carter.

Oops! Your right.

Reerun_KC
06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Your posts are absolutely horrific. If you think Cedric Benson is very talented, you are a straight up moron.
Thats the point Brock... We have seen plenty of less talented RB's run through the Chiefs Defense as recently as last year...

Call me a moron, but didnt Quentin Griffen shred the Chiefs for a buck fifty one time?

Dylan
06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Michael Strahan ` One of the Greatest New York Giants Ever!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLwd7EeQtlI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLwd7EeQtlI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
If DT still isn't in the HOF in 5 years and Strahan gets in 1st-ballot then I will be extremely pissed off.

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Salaam was great for the Maniax.

Nzoner
06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Michael Strahan ` One of the Greatest New York Giants Ever!

<object height="344" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLwd7EeQtlI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="344" width="425"></object>

Yeah,what a man to let Brett Favre "give you" the single season sack record.:rolleyes:

Count Alex's Wins
06-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Benson had talent, he just didn't have any heart.

StcChief
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
If DT still isn't in the HOF in 5 years and Strahan gets in 1st-ballot then I will be extremely pissed off.
you, me and every "real" football fan.

yeah gaptooth Strahan was a good player, game changer ?????

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
you, me and every "real" football fan.

yeah gaptooth Strahan was a good player, game changer ?????

Strahan was great, but his numbers are better than DT's only through longevity.

Strahan: 57 tackles per year, 9.4 sacks per year, 7x pro bowl, 6x all-pro, 2x nfc d-player of the year, 1x nfl d-player of the year

DT: 58 tackles per year, 11.5 sacks per year, 9x pro bowl, 3x all-pro, 1990s all-decade team, 1989 d-rookie of the year, 1989 afc rookie of the year

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Thats the point Brock... We have seen plenty of less talented RB's run through the Chiefs Defense as recently as last year...

Call me a moron, but didnt Quentin Griffen shred the Chiefs for a buck fifty one time?

Umm..but wasnt that about the only decent game he ever had? If he was truly any good, wouldnt he have done that to alot of teams with more consistancy?

That Chiefs D he ran over was bad.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Strahan: 57 tackles per year, 9.4 sacks per year, 7x pro bowl, 6x all-pro, 2x nfc d-player of the year, 1x nfl d-player of the year

DT: 58 tackles per year, 11.5 sacks per year, 9x pro bowl, 3x all-pro, 1990s all-decade team, 1989 d-rookie of the year, 1989 afc rookie of the year

But he played in New York, so hes an automatic HoF'er

Frazod
06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Benson had talent, he just didn't have any heart.

Being a drunk punk idiot didn't help his cause, either.

Nzoner
06-09-2008, 09:17 PM

I love watching great players play the game but as I stated earlier he and Favre lost alot of respect in my book when they all but staged that sack record.

Not saying that should keep him from the HOF just saying it was pitiful for 2 great players to be involved in.

Valiant
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Good to know that Brodie is getting to do hard counts.. Now give the O about 5x more play action plays per game..

----------------------------------------------

(never will happen, I know)Now if we go uncapped, I wonder if Chicago would want LJ for a 1st and a 2nd next year.. Just get LJ to restructure to make it cap friendly trade, because I know he would love to be on a bigger stage..(/end fantasy)

Valiant
06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I love watching great players play the game but as I stated earlier he and Favre lost alot of respect in my book when they all but staged that sack record.

Not saying that should keep him from the HOF just saying it was pitiful for 2 great players to be involved in.

Yeah that was sickening.. Records should not fall like that..

Lurker2:-)=)
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Reerun_KC;4786953]Thats the point Brock... We have seen plenty of less talented RB's run through the Chiefs Defense as recently as last year...

I have watched practically every down Benson played for the Bears. He's supposed to be a powerful, punishing runner but I don't think I've seen him actually "hit" more than a handul of defenders, and very few ever got 'run over" by him. He had the fewest yards gained after the first defender "touched" him than any other back I've ever seen. He runs straight into the tacklers and falls down. He'd make last year's Chiefs D look fantastic!

Let's face it , to even get into the NFL, let alone a first round pick, you HAVE to have some talent. To STAY in the NFL you have to realize it is a business, and you have to work at keeping yourself in shape, playing hard, and obeying the rules, or you can lose your job. The athletes that make it big work hard at it, they study the game and are serious about improving and honing their skills and working as a team.
Benson from the start was a divisive force in the clubhouse, he didn't put effort into workouts, he got arrested for the party boat thing, paid a $500 dollar fine for speeding in a construction zone in Chicago 2 weeks later (they didn't give him a breath test that time), and now this DUI comes after he promised to clean up his act and work harder. Right. Way to show you are getting yourself ready to help the team, Cedric! You're obviously preparing correctly for the next season's games...:shake:

He had a better chance than a lot of people ever get to "make good" and he consistently made the wrong choices. I hate seeing ANYONE blow oppotunities of this magnitude. I hope he wakes up and makes better decisions wherever he lands next. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for that. I'm glad that he's gone, and I wish his next team good luck in getting through to him.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
He'd make last year's Chiefs D look fantastic!

He would? He ran for over 100 yards against us last year. Im just sayin..... :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7180/gamelog;_ylt=Ak8n0TPUYm5LEPIXzJpncnz.uLYF

Lurker2:-)=)
06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, you're right, I goofed that one. I remember that game for Hester's returns, which I think were the deciding factor in the game. It wasn't Benson and it sure wasn't Grossman, the Bear's QB for most of last year.
But Benson did get 101 yards on 24 carries, almost half of them in the first drive. It was his season high. His longest run for that game was 13 yards, and he had longer runs twice: a 16 yarder vs. Detroit, and a (gasp) 43 yarder vs Seattle, which was almost half his production for that game, and then he broke his leg in Denver the next week and was done for the year.

Usually, the more carries he got the worse his yards-per-carry, and that's just not the kind of production you want to see from a #1 draft pick and the team's main running back.

noa
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, Benson just wasn't impressive at all on the NFL level. Even if some team takes picks him up, I doubt he ever lives up to his potential. He struck me as anything more than average, and I think if he was just an unknown free agent trying to make a roster, he wouldn't get higher than 2nd on a depth chart.

Reerun_KC
06-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Umm..but wasnt that about the only decent game he ever had? If he was truly any good, wouldnt he have done that to alot of teams with more consistancy?

That Chiefs D he ran over was bad.
Of Course people read it wrong the first time. I wasnt saying Benson was all world, But give him to Denver with the cut blocking scheme, he will post a 1400 yard season.

yes your right, Griffin was cut shortly after he played the Career Day Defense.

I think you are following the point...

Valiant
06-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Of Course people read it wrong the first time. I wasnt saying Benson was all world, But give him to Denver with the cut blocking scheme, he will post a 1400 yard season.

yes your right, Griffin was cut shortly after he played the Career Day Defense.

I think you are following the point...

Javon Walker was suppose to be back at probowl level with the donks.. Travis Henry was suppose to be probowl level with the donks also...

Reerun_KC
06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Javon Walker was suppose to be back at probowl level with the donks.. Travis Henry was suppose to be probowl level with the donks also...

true, very true....

All I am saying is, I dont want to see Benson in Denver....

As Lurker2 was saying.... Benson had some talent to be drafted in the 1st round. I would hate to see him get his life in order in Denver and run through us....

Bwana
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM

QFT