PDA

View Full Version : Computers I bought a PS3... to use as my main Computer

SLAG
06-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I broke down and Bought a PS3 at wal-mart this morning.. came with 100 wal-mart gift card.. i used that to buy another controller and GTA IV..

My plan is to turn the PS3 into my Main Computer... Mostly for surfing, Some music, and SSH sessions into web servers.

Im going to start with suse ( http://en.opensuse.org/Playstation) .. and if I dont like that then move on to fedora/ubuntu ( psubuntu.com )

Anyone explored this route?

mikeyis4dcats.
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
good luck....I've heard some horror stories.

make sure you back up your hard drive.

CrazyPhuD
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Really easy to do if you've installed linux on a computer before. Backup the HD before you do it. If you don't you'll lose everything on it. I've been gentoo on mine. The only issue is that it can be somewhat irritating to switch back and forth between the PS3 and linux.

TinyEvel
06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
did you get the Metal Gear Solid Bundle? Or the 40Gig?

SLAG
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
did you get the Metal Gear Solid Bundle? Or the 40Gig?

I got the 40Gb Because of the $100 Wal-Mart Gift Gard that I got with with it..

So i turned around and used the Gift Card for a DS3 Controller and GTA IV

SLAG
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Really easy to do if you've installed linux on a computer before. Backup the HD before you do it. If you don't you'll lose everything on it. I've been gentoo on mine. The only issue is that it can be somewhat irritating to switch back and forth between the PS3 and linux.

I have nothing on the HDD as I just bought it so Im not worried about it..

I am a Linux web server admin currently so I have done my fair share of Linux Installs etc..

Suse is burning now but I think i will go Yellow Dog next if there is any problems

Pitt Gorilla
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
The PS3 is amazing. I never had much interest until the giftcard deal came out last week. I probably won't do a linux install, as it meets most of my needs without it. It's a blueray player, it upconverts regular DVDs very nicely, it plays music and games (of course), and it has a built-in browser to go with its wireless connection. I hooked mine up to our new 46" Samsung and it looks awesome. It works really well as a total media center.

88TG88
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
hmm 100 dollar gift card huh. I might have to break down and get one.

Guru
06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
wish that gift card was good for just going to Walmart with rather than only for online purchases. I would rather use it for groceries myself.

The PS3 would only be my bluray player anyway.

ZootedGranny
06-10-2008, 05:42 PM
wish that gift card was good for just going to Walmart with rather than only for online purchases. I would rather use it for groceries myself.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy the PS3 in-store, the giftcard is usable in store.

SLAG
06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you buy the PS3 in-store, the giftcard is usable in store.

Yes it was... I used my giftcard in the store to buy a DS3 Controller and GTA IV!!!! FTW!

Linux has been installed but I have to fine tweak it a bit..but suse is going good so far.. I may have to rebuild the kernal to enable wireless support, but thats not a big concern for me right now.

FTR...

Installing Suse was a Breeze simple and straight forward

No problems

BWillie
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I've always wondered how to do this. I've heard you can easily put linux on there. All I really want to do is be able to surf the internet more easily, download songs and videos possibly, and utilize other computer functions more easily. I know there is a PS3 web browser but it doesn't really work the best.

I'd pay someone 30 dollars if they came to my house and put it on there. I'm too retarded to know how to do it, and too lazy to try

Guru
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Ahhh, I just assumed the deal was only an online deal. When does it end?

luv
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Interesting fact we learned about the 40Gb AFTER buying it. You can't play PS2 games on it. We came so close to buying some used PS2 games on our way home. Glad we decided not to.

luv
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
While I'm not using mine as my main computer, it's nice to have the wireless internet here. We got the bluetooth keyboard. Runs really slow, and we don't have Java. Good for VERY basic surfing so far.

ZootedGranny
06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Ahhh, I just assumed the deal was only an online deal. When does it end?

Sunday the 15th.

Guru
06-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Interesting fact we learned about the 40Gb AFTER buying it. You can't play PS2 games on it. We came so close to buying some used PS2 games on our way home. Glad we decided not to.

YOU purchased a PS3?

Fruit Ninja
06-11-2008, 04:37 AM
YOU purchased a PS3?

She said WE. I seriously doubt she's any kind of real gamer. Its probably her boyfriend thats going to be playing it.

I havent had any freaking time to game at all lately. Damn it, my life rarely gets busy, but this is the time argh.

Guru
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Went to WallyWorld and couldn't pull the trigger on the deal. Guess I just don't want a BD player that badly.

SLAG
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Went to WallyWorld and couldn't pull the trigger on the deal. Guess I just don't want a BD player that badly.

I understand... I went like 3- and 4 times and I was like.. naw.... i cant...

BUT THEN I DID!!

Guru
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I understand... I went like 3- and 4 times and I was like.. naw.... i cant...

BUT THEN I DID!!

I think if it didn't involve the gift card and the price was actually just $299 or less, then I might have done it.

Buck
06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I think if it didn't involve the gift card and the price was actually just $299 or less, then I might have done it.

ive heard lots of people who used the gift card on the ps3 at the time of purchase

Saulbadguy
06-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Smooth move, numbnuts. If you had waited until today, you could have got the $100 giftcard on the Metal Gear Solid bundle. 80gb, backwards compatibility, Metal Gear Solid 4 included, and a Dual Shock 3 controller.

Saulbadguy
06-12-2008, 12:09 AM

There is a rumor that in October, there will be a firmware update released that will enable backwards compatibility for the 40gb PS3.

Guru
06-12-2008, 12:36 AM
ive heard lots of people who used the gift card on the ps3 at the time of purchase

May be true... If the cashier is a complete idiot.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Smooth move, numbnuts. If you had waited until today, you could have got the $100 giftcard on the Metal Gear Solid bundle. 80gb, backwards compatibility, Metal Gear Solid 4 included, and a Dual Shock 3 controller.

Yes but that still would have been $100 more than what I paid either way..

not worth it IMO..

The other thing that i was just concerned about was when I hook it up to my Monitor via a hdmi to DVI cable... I just read about the HDCP that would prevent non HDCP monitors from displaying. Luckily the monitor I bought in December was HDCP compliant and I didnt even realize it!

SCORE

luv
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
She said WE. I seriously doubt she's any kind of real gamer. Its probably her boyfriend thats going to be playing it.

I havent had any freaking time to game at all lately. Damn it, my life rarely gets busy, but this is the time argh.

He's not what I would call a real gamer, but he likes to play the sports games with the good graphics. I bought WSOP, but finding that it's rather boring when you don't interact with people. I'll have to try it online sometime.

Fairplay
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
You can't find just a blue-ray player alone cheaper then 299.

And you get a gaming system to boot. This is a very good deal IMO.

TinyEvel
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Damn, Guru, I know you always bust me for being on the PS tip, but anyone who has the opportunity to get the MGS bundle with that WalMart deal should get it. It really is the best value on a PS3, not to be beaten for a long time coming, by my guess.
The amount of quality games coming out for this platform in the next 12 months is huge, too.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Otter
06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I use SUSE on an old laptop at home and with a degree in computer science and 10 years of experience in the IT field I still get stumped regularly.

Granted I don't have much of a UNIX (I know OS vs Kernal) background but once you get past the pretty desktop don't expect SUSE to be anything like Windows.

Hows your Linux knowledge?

EDIT:

Linux web servers....full speed ahead in that case. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I use SUSE on an old laptop at home and with a degree in computer science and 10 years of experience in the IT field I still get stumped regularly.

Granted I don't have much of a UNIX background but once you get past the pretty desktop don't expect SUSE to be anything like Windows.

Hows your Linux knowledge?

EDIT:

Linux web servers....full speed ahead in that case. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Its gone really well, I have dumped SUSE for YellowDogLinux 6.0, YDL6 is based off what we use for our web servers CENTOS, so it keeps me in familiar territory.

My current problem is there is no Skype for Linux for PPC Architecture and I need Skype for work...

For anyone that wants to try it out... I would go with suse.. its so easy to install .. so straight foward... very awesome!

Guru
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Damn, Guru, I know you always bust me for being on the PS tip, but anyone who has the opportunity to get the MGS bundle with that WalMart deal should get it. It really is the best value on a PS3, not to be beaten for a long time coming, by my guess.
The amount of quality games coming out for this platform in the next 12 months is huge, too.

Not interesting in MGS though. Not interested in a $499 bill. Plus, Walmart does not offer the 80GB bundle in store in topeka so it is moot.

Guru
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Not seeing that options anywhere on Sony's site. Got a link?

Guru
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Found it. Actually, that looks like a better deal than even walmart. 12 months no interest on top of the $100.

Mr Luzcious
06-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Found it. Actually, that looks like a better deal than even walmart. 12 months no interest on top of the $100.

Don't get suckered in Guru!

Ari Chi3fs
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Dont be suckered into buying a PS3. Its a pyramid scheme. The people at SONY are getting rich!!

Guru
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Dont be suckered into buying a PS3. Its a pyramid scheme. The people at SONY are getting rich!!

Don't get me started on pyramid schemes. I worked for Rennaisance in Topeka. I would still like to have words with the government for that fiasco.

Guru
06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Don't get suckered in Guru!
That wouldn't be suckered. heh

$20 a month for 12 months no interest AND $100 less. That looks much better than walmarts deal.

Mr Luzcious
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Actually....

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/Malstrom_photo/opp-income-104.jpg

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/2008/05/30/playstation-2-may-have-won-last-generations-sales-battle-but-it-lost-the-console-war/

Guru
06-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Actually....

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/Malstrom_photo/opp-income-104.jpg

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/2008/05/30/playstation-2-may-have-won-last-generations-sales-battle-but-it-lost-the-console-war/
ROFL

It helps that Nintendo was making a profit from day one while M$ and $ony were taking losses.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
That wouldn't be suckered. heh

$20 a month for 12 months no interest AND $100 less. That looks much better than walmarts deal.

I got my credit in 2 weeks...

SLAG
06-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok i just hooked up the PS3 to my 21" WideScreen Sceptre Monitor..

and all I have to say is WOW.. 1080p kicks ass, both for the PS3 and for Linux!

Guru
06-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Ok i just hooked up the PS3 to my 21" WideScreen Sceptre Monitor..

and all I have to say is WOW.. 1080p kicks ass, both for the PS3 and for Linux!

1080p on a 21"? Can you say overkill? :D

Fruit Ninja
06-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Wii is making crazy money atm. Its going to win out easily without breaking a sweat, but its just not really a core gaming console. Its targetted at casuals with their remote swinging stuffs.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Naw

:D

luv
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM

I put mine on my Best Buy card, and I've got 18 months same as cash. Of course, we also got a 37" flat panel tv to go with it. :D

TinyEvel
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Yeah, really. even 720p is max on up to 40"

BTW as far as operating income goes, SONY is losing money on all those PS3's, so not like they're taking your dollars, those of you waiting for a price drop. Consider that when you think of a game bundle at the regular retail and it's a smokin' deal.

(BTW been playing MGS4 on my 65" 1080p and it's pretty damn amazing! especially for a kid who started out with Atari 2600 on a 19" black and white)

Count Alex's Losses
06-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm probably gonna break down and buy a PS3 in a few months, on two conditions - Madden is good this year, and so is The Force Unleashed. Neither title is coming to PC. The blu-ray player is a big-time bonus.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Here is a full res of my desktop on PS3 Linux for anyone interested in proof that I did what I Said I did

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7694/desktopiv3.png (http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7694/desktopiv3.png)

luv
06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm probably gonna break down and buy a PS3 in a few months, on two conditions - Madden is good this year, and so is The Force Unleashed. Neither title is coming to PC. The blu-ray player is a big-time bonus.

That's how I got convinced in choosing it over the XBOX 360 we were looking at that was $50 cheaper.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
For anyone who wants a real detail article about Linux on the PS3 check this out straight from IBM:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-linuxps3-1/

Guru
06-12-2008, 11:51 PM

Well, one of those conditions will be met.

TinyEvel
06-13-2008, 12:21 AM

If you have a lot of PS2 games, I suggest you buy this MGS4 bundle.
Otherwise the 40gig is $399.
And I think both those games will be improved this year.
The 2K threat and consumer bellyaching are pushing EA to improve Madden (online leagues for the first time ever) and there is major buzz about the Force unleashed.

Though, I'm not sure I want you in my club. :evil:

Guru
06-13-2008, 12:39 AM
The 2K threat and consumer bellyaching are pushing EA to improve Madden (online leagues for the first time ever) and there is major buzz about the Force unleashed.

The toe touch club? Or the offending pretty women club? :D

TinyEvel
06-13-2008, 01:11 AM
The toe touch club? Or the offending pretty women club? :D

Both. Actually, the "making a wicked salary, loud-mouthed bald guy who gets to play video games as part of his job" chapter. :thumb:

Guru
06-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Both. Actually, the "making a ridiculous salary loud-mouthed bald guy who gets to play video games as part of his job" chapter. :thumb:

I'm not even sure I have seen your ads yet. Are they out there?

Mr Luzcious
06-13-2008, 02:28 AM
BTW as far as operating income goes, SONY is losing money on all those PS3's, so not like they're taking your dollars, those of you waiting for a price drop. Consider that when you think of a game bundle at the regular retail and it's a smokin' deal.

Yeah.. except I don't have an HD tv.

Ari Chi3fs
06-13-2008, 02:37 AM
That SLAG is a ****ing liar. Oh wait, there is a screencap.

NM.

Guru
06-13-2008, 03:00 AM
That SLAG is a ****ing liar. Oh wait, there is a screencap.

NM.

Not that it offered any REAL proof. :D

Otter
06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Hey Slag (or anyone with input on the matter), what's your thoughts on Gnome vs. KDE?

I deleted the SuSe partitions last night, did a fixmbr (duel XP boot) and reinstalled under Gnome (previously used KDE) and I'm not seeing half the problems I saw previously.

The wireless card worked right away instead of having to pull the drivers from Windows and install them being the most prevalent.

Any preference?

SLAG
06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
otter-

my preference is KDE, but im not sure why, maybe because its the most like windows, GNOME isnt bad but i have not used it much. alot of people seem to really like FLUXBOX or other minimalist window manager, such as IceWM as well.

Play around with them all and find the one you like.

on a completely undrelated note-

I really like TeenPUP linux as a Live CD. its really cool Check it out sometime whoever is interested.

SLAG
06-14-2008, 05:45 PM
guru-

Will u be putting linux on your new PS3
??

Guru
06-14-2008, 05:46 PM
guru-

Will u be putting linux on your new PS3
??

Wasn't planning on it. Just using it for a BD player and maybe an occasional game.

SLAG
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I gotta be honest with you..

I dont understand the whole bluray hype...that was really the LAST thing on my mind when I bought the PS3... Hell ive never seen a BluRay Movie

I just dont get it..

Deberg_1990
06-14-2008, 05:55 PM

I dont understand the whole bluray hype...that was really the LAST thing on my mind when I bought the PS3... Hell ive never seen a BluRay Movie

I just dont get it..

Better picture quality than standard DVD.

But if your not a movie buff or a home theater fanatic, then it wont make much difference to the average person.

Standard DVD quality is "good enough" for most people.

Guru
06-14-2008, 05:56 PM

I just dont get it..

I love a GREAT picture. since I upgraded to HDTV I have been itching to get BD. Just waiting for the right deal. The deal I found isn't perfect but it works well enough. $299

Guru
06-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Better picture quality than standard DVD.

But if your not a movie buff or a home theater fanatic, then it wont make much difference to the average person.

Standard DVD quality is "good enough" for most people.

Pretty much what he said. I love my movies.

Buck
06-14-2008, 10:32 PM

I just dont get it..

You know whats funny. I thought the same thing as you for a while. Then I bought 3:10 to Yuma on Bluray, and I've been addicted since.

Guru
06-21-2008, 05:45 AM
I got my credit in 2 weeks...

Got my credit in 6 days. :p

Midnight_Vulture
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Thats kinda dumb (to the original thread starter)

QuikSsurfer
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Thats kinda dumb (to the original thread starter)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/242spp5.gif

Buck
06-22-2008, 01:46 PM

However, if you do not have a use for Backwards compatibility,

You should just buy a 40 Gig. Then, you find a 250 GB 2.5" Sata HDD, for about $120 and put it in your PS3. You now have a 250 GB PS3 for $20 more than a 80 GB PS3.

Buck
06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
SLAG, lets say I was to go this same route (partition part of my HDD for Linux)? Would you give me a complete walkthrough? I used to use Linux on my home computer (Mepis), but that was a couple years ago, and I have no idea how to set anything up anymore.

Thanks.

SLAG
06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
SLAG, lets say I was to go this same route (partition part of my HDD for Linux)? Would you give me a complete walkthrough? I used to use Linux on my home computer (Mepis), but that was a couple years ago, and I have no idea how to set anything up anymore.

Thanks.

Sure I should be around to help answer questions..

The most straight forward install and setup instructions are found here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Playstation

I did the suse for a bit but I switched to YellowDog JUST because its VERY close to what we run on our web servers at work. So i dont get my Commands confused I got rid of SUSE but it was running very well

I do have to say that yellowdog has the best community help out there and they were the 1st to support Linux on the PS3.

You can find all the yellow dog info here: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewforum.php?f=19

You could run Fedora or Ubuntu as well but I have not had any experience with those on the PS3

Let me know if you need any help via here ,IM, PM, REP, Email whatever you need

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

Guru
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't mind trying this but I just don't see it as being practical for what I would be doing. I just post from my laptop in my easy chair. Having it on my TV doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

SLAG
06-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't mind trying this but I just don't see it as being practical for what I would be doing. I just post from my laptop in my easy chair. Having it on my TV doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I can understand that-

but the PS3 has replaced my Desktop PC..

Its hooked up to my 1080P 21" monitor.. Looks good too...
For me the PS3 is a computer 1st and a Game/Media Console 2nd.

Guru
06-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I can understand that-

but the PS3 has replaced my Desktop PC..

Its hooked up to my 1080P 21" monitor.. Looks good too...
For me the PS3 is a computer 1st and a Game/Media Console 2nd.

Didn't mean that it wasn't practical for you. Just not for me. If I was without a computer, that would be a very cheap solution.

EDIT

Just curious, what is the estimated CPU equivalent for the PS3 as a computer?

Saulbadguy
06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
It's slower than shit. Not worth it.

JBucc
06-23-2008, 10:03 AM
It's slower than shit. Not worth it.They may have changed it in firmware updates or something, but I read earlier this year that it can only use one of the CPU's cores, which is the equivalent of about 600MHz and 192 MB of RAM for running an OS.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2008, 10:17 AM
They may have changed it in firmware updates or something, but I read earlier this year that it can only use one of the CPU's cores, which is the equivalent of about 600MHz and 192 MB of RAM for running an OS.

Plus they lock the graphics core out.

Buck
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Ok Slag, Im getting ready to put Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 on my PS3.

From what I hear, I need a USB Keyboard at least to do this. Do you need a USB Mouse?

Anyways, Im D/L the distro to my comp right now. So if theres any advice you could give me, I thank you in advance.

P.S. Do you know of an application that is good for Instant Messengers?

Guru
06-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok Slag, Im getting ready to put Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 on my PS3.

From what I hear, I need a USB Keyboard at least to do this. Do you need a USB Mouse?

Anyways, Im D/L the distro to my comp right now. So if theres any advice you could give me, I thank you in advance.

P.S. Do you know of an application that is good for Instant Messengers?

Walmart has a wireless keyboard with touchpad specifically for the PS3 for $25.

Buck
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Walmart has a wireless keyboard with touchpad specifically for the PS3 for $25.

Its probably a bluetooth Keyboard. I wonder if that works w/ Linux.

SLAG
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Im not sure if the BT Keyboard works with linux, I seem to have some very basic BT functionality at this point but I know you can get it working but it might take some work.

remember to back up your saved info to a USB drive!

you CAN install with just a USB mouse but it would be a pain (Highlight.. Copy.. Paste each letter) .... At least with suse I think you can IDK if YDL does because I had a USB keyboard lying around so i didnt have to worry about it

Good luck and check the yellow dog forums they are very helpful,

It should come with the IM client Pidgin already installed along with firefox and other basic linux apps..

You may want to read up on the command yum its the best way to install stuff

Check this thread out here to get rolling:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2274&sid=a4295b8050788b9f59c2a074b1ea27b5

edit:
re read your post... no you do not NEED a mouse but yes atleast a kb

Guru
06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Actually, the Walmart keyboard was just 2.4Ghz wireless. Not BT. Don't know if that helps though.