PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rand - Growing Flowers

C-Mac
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Growing Flowers (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/10/growing_flowers/)
Jun 10, 2008, 2:46:42 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

It seems odd at first to see cornerback Brandon Flowers, the Chiefs’ second-round draft choice, wearing number 24. It’s the same number worn for the past two seasons by Ty Law, the ex-Chief who Flowers probably will replace at left cornerback.

Normally, you don’t see a rookie taking over both the position and number of a five-time Pro Bowl player. That might only subject a youngster to unfair comparisons and unreasonable expectations.

But as you’ve no doubt noticed, not much is normal about the 2008 Chiefs. Coach Herm Edwards is going full speed ahead with a roster that, according to conventional wisdom, will be too wet behind the ears to win yet in the NFL.

Flowers, though, is a prime exhibit for why Edwards is committed to serving youth. His 2007 Chiefs collapsed under old legs – especially on the offensive line and at cornerback.

Flowers, in truth, needn’t feel any pressure following in Law’s footsteps, which, after all, were not so quick during his two years with the Chiefs. As for his number, Flowers chose 24 because he wore it in high school. His Virginia Tech number, 18, is off limits to NFL defensive backs.

Having often filled out their secondary with veteran cornerbacks since the dawn of free agency, the Chiefs made Flowers only their second cornerback drafted as high as the second round since Dale Carter was a first-round pick in 1992. William Bartee, a second-round pick in 2000, cracked the starting lineup in 2002 but could not become a fixture.

“They drafted me for a reason,” Flowers said after a recent workout. “They wanted me to go in and play. That’s why they threw me in the fire like this. I think I’m responding pretty well right now.”

Any coach would love to have cornerbacks with rookie speed and veteran savvy, but those attributes seldom come in the same package. The rookie’s up side is that he can always acquire savvy but a slowing veteran cannot get fast again. The rookie’s down side is that a missed assignment can cost six points.

“I thought after the first week (of OTAs) you could see his confidence all of a sudden,” Edwards said of the 5-foot-9, 187-pound Flowers. “You’re asking him to probably play a few more coverages than he played in college. That’s all mental. Once he adjusts to that, it’s all athletic.”

When Edwards speaks, young cornerbacks listen. An undrafted cornerback who made the Eagles as a rookie in 1977, the head coach knows something about how to play the position and how to play your way on to an NFL roster.

“I know the mental stress that they’re under,” Edwards said.

“I know that guys who can generally keep their poise and have selective memory can make it. Things can happen real fast and you’ve got to let it go, so you want guys with that kind of mindset. You have to be a mentally tough guy to play out there in this league. The two receivers and two corners live out on the freeway. It’s a tough place to play.”

For NFL scouts, those also can be tough positions to evaluate. College receivers and cornerbacks typically line up against NFL prospects only a few times each season, and scouts can’t get overly enthusiastic about a receiver who has a big day against a slow cornerback, or about a cornerback who has a big day against a clumsy receiver or an erratic passer.

“Playing in the ACC, I played against a lot of big-time programs where receivers had great progress in the NFL,” Flowers said.

“I played against a lot of talent, but NFL receivers are a totally different ballgame mentally. I’ve got to get smart — just like they’re getting smart.”
21 votes

kepp
06-10-2008, 08:22 AM
It seems odd at first to see cornerback Brandon Flowers, the Chiefs’ second-round draft choice, wearing number 24. It’s the same number worn for the past two seasons by Ty Law, the ex-Chief who Flowers probably will replace at left cornerback.

Actually, it seems odd to see #24 not tripping and falling.

chasedude
06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
All I have is hope with this team. Flowers looks good but can he really perform in the "Big Game"? Only time will tell, and my hope rides with it.

King_Chief_Fan
06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Actually, it seems odd to see #24 not tripping and falling.
:clap:ROFL

Micjones
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm excited about this kid.
I think he'll be a long-time answer at Corner for this franchise.

StcChief
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
how soon we will forget Ty Law. The Manning Playoff Pick maybe has last memorable play

SNR
06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Flowers/Carr.

The next great Bartee/Dennis combo?