PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Mini-camp re-camp...

InChiefsHell
06-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Where the hell is Tank?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/09/minicamp_recamp/

Mini-Camp Re-Camp
Jun 09, 2008, 8:50:38 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

flowers

The Chiefs got three solid days of work in with their mandatory mini-camp on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. With 92 players on their roster, they had 91 on the field in the first two workouts and 90 on Sunday.

The only player missing all three days was college free agent running back Kalvin McRae, held back because Ohio University hasn’t wrapped up its spring quarter yet. That happens this coming week. Missing on Sunday was veteran safety Greg Wesley. Although he was excused by the Chiefs, he attended both Friday and Saturday’s workouts, but did not show on Sunday. The Chiefs have told him he will be traded or released.

The Chiefs also had a tryout player as part of the workouts, as defensive end Trevor Johnson was on the field. Johnson has played for the Jets, Saints and Rams since entering the NFL out of Nebraska as New York’s seventh-round selection in the 2004 Draft.

Here are some scenes and thoughts on these three workouts. Again, it comes with this proviso: this is June, not September. Nobody has ever made the Pro Bowl based on performances in mini-camp. The players are wearing shorts and no pads. I repeat this only because some of my e-mail indicates some fans think important decisions are being made off these workouts. These are all parts of the puzzle that will come together when the pads go on in Wisconsin and the real football begins.

Defense
It was a better week overall for the defense, as it’s apparent there are light bulbs going off over the heads of some of Gunther Cunningham’s charges. Because of various injuries and coaches’ decisions on Sunday, this was the starting base defense:

* Line: Alfonso Boone, T.J. Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali.
* Linebackers: Demorrio Williams, Napoleon Harris and Derrick Johnson.
* Secondary: Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers, Bernard Pollard and DaJuan Morgan.

Now, Ron Edwards, Donnie Edwards, Pat Surtain and Jarrad Page did not participate because of various bumps and bruises. But they shouldn’t take a very long rest because this group looked really good in working against the Chiefs No. 1 offense. When they went to the nickel, it was either Turk McBride or rookie Brian Johnston coming in at left end, with Boone moving inside and the extra DB was college free agent Maurice Leggett. Again, it’s June. But if I’m a veteran, I’d make sure I was completely ready to go by the first day in River Falls. They might get left behind in the dust.

In the two-minute drill, Flowers got it started on the first play when he dove and almost came up with an interception on a pass intended for Devard Darling. He later broke up another pass to Darling.

McBride really flashed during the last week, especially working some at left end in the nickel defense. He’s bigger this year, but seems to still have his speed and quickness. His increased confidence is visible as he goes through the workouts.

Offense
Everybody’s heart skipped a beat on Sunday when first-round draft choice LT Branden Albert got up limping after a play. He hobbled to the sidelines and received treatment from trainers and doctors on hand. Right now, the Chiefs are calling it a sprained ankle and they say it shouldn’t be anything that will hamper him come the start of camp. But his work in the OTAs is likely over. It has been an interesting couple weeks for Albert. He’s shown his outstanding physical abilities working on the left side, but he’s also hand his hands full during the mini-camp handling Tamba Hali. He’s got a lot to learn, but his athletic ability makes anything possible.

Len Dawson will like this note: the Chiefs quarterbacks are working on giving the hard count while under center. They’ve drawn a few offside calls on the Chiefs defensive line, something the Chiefs Hall of Fame quarterback feels they should have done more of in recent seasons. The only problem right now is at least once a practice this weekend the hard count caused one of the offensive linemen to false start.

The offense had 13 plays in the two-minute drill on Sunday, but could not crack the defense’s 37-yard line. Brodie Croyle was five of 12 and was sacked once, and probably would have gone down a couple of other times if tackling was allowed.

Special Teams
It was a good week for the three kickers on the roster. Dealing with windy conditions on the practice field and inside Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday, they did a good job. They were nine for nine inside the Stadium and then with an even stronger wind, they were eight of nine on Sunday. Rookie Connor Barth had the only miss, going just right from 43 yards.

Punter Dustin Colquitt had a good day on Saturday inside Arrowhead. Dealing with the swirling winds, he had a pair of punts with a hang time of 5.6 seconds. That’s outstanding.

Again, it’s June, but special teams participation is always a good indicator of players that the coaching staff expects will be on the roster. Sunday, here was the blocking nine on the No. 1 kickoff return unit: Carr, Morgan, McBride, Jackson, Jackie Battle, Nate Harris, Pat Thomas, John Paul Foschi and Tre Stallings. Working deep as the returning duo were B.J. Sams and Rashad Barksdale, Kevin Robinson and Bobby Sippio and Jamaal Charles and Kolby Smith.

blueballs
06-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Jun 13, 2008, 8:25:59 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

VIDEO: Windows | Real | Audio

There were a dozen OTA practices and three mini-camp workouts for the Chiefs over the last five weeks.

Those 15 practices came to an end on a muggy, rainy Thursday in St. Joseph, where the team ran through a 90-minute workout at Missouri Western College. Like the work that came before, there were a few tidbits that popped from the soggy practice.

What the day in St. Joe (Windows Video) and the previous 14 excursions to the field did not do is answer all the questions about the 2008 Chiefs. If anything, the work created even more questions that must be answered.

We now have to wait six more weeks to begin the real work of getting answers with the start of training camp in River Falls, Wisconsin. Once the boys hit the land of beer and cheese two factors will bring answers to some questions: full pads for practice and time.

Football is a collision sport, which is why the armor players wear is so much a part of playing the game. Without the full pads, there cannot be real football. Players push and shove and sometimes strike a blow in these practices, but it’s not the same. That changes in training camp.

And when the Chiefs hit the field for their first practice on July 25th, they will be just 44 days away from the regular season opener at New England. The ticking NFL clock will make answers necessary.

Like, who will occupy the right side of the Chiefs offensive line? After Thursday’s practice, Herm Edwards said his No. 1 line going to camp will be, from left to right, Branden Albert, Brian Waters, Rudy Niswanger, Adrian Jones and Damion McIntosh. But after watching 15 practices, Jones and McIntosh’s starting assignments are not written in cement. Draft choice Barry Richardson may push McIntosh for the right tackle spot. At this point, no one came forward to challenge Jones.

Who will be the Chiefs kicker? Flip a coin. After all the kicking they’ve done, there doesn’t appear to be much difference between veterans Billy Cundiff and Nick Novak and college free agent Connor Barth. One of those guys – likely either Cundiff or Novak – will be released before the start of camp. Don’t count out a return of veteran John Carney either. He remains unsigned and if no kicker wins the job and they struggle through the pre-season, it would not be a shock for the Chiefs to bring Carney back to the team.

Who will handle the return game for the Chiefs? That remains unknown. Veteran B.J. Sams and draft choice Kevin Robinson lead the pack. But others like draft choice Jamaal Charles on kickoffs and college free agent Maurice Leggett on punt returns, could become factors.

Fullback remains a wide-open battle. Edwards has indicated the team will carry a fullback this season, but that’s subject to change as well. There are four fullbacks on the roster and none of the group has stepped forward to claim the job. College free agent Mike Cox may have the edge, since he played in Chan Gailey’s offense last year at Georgia Tech.

Who will be the middle linebacker? The 15 practices have left that starting position in some doubt. Defensive coordinator and now linebackers coach Gunther Cunningham has really turned up the heat on the 11 players at the position. He’s not been happy with how veterans Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris have been progressing. If the season started tomorrow, Pat Thomas would probably be the starting middle linebacker. This is definitely a position to keep an eye on in Wisconsin.

Same for cornerback. Cunningham was asked a few days ago if he was prepared to start two rookies on the corner this year. His answer was quick and definitive. “Absolutely,” he said. One of the starters will be draft choice Brandon Flowers. The other may be draft choice Brandon Carr. Even if veteran Pat Surtain keeps his starting spot, he will end up rotating with Carr at the position. Don’t be surprised if another rookie, Leggett doesn’t make the team as the nickel back.

If you haven’t figured it out by now, let me clue you in: the Chiefs 2008 training camp is going to be a wild affair. Jobs will be on the line. Competition will be heated.

And by September, Herm Edwards and his coaching staff hope to have more answers and fewer questions.

47 votes

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A former beat reporter who covered the Pittsburgh Steelers during their glory years, Gretz covered the Chiefs for the Kansas City Star for nine years. He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors. He has been the senior columnist for the Chiefs web site since its inception.

Send this page to a friend!

cdcox
06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
From the sounds of these two reports, the offense could be historically bad, mainly due to the right side of the line and QB play. It's going to be UGLY.

FAX
06-13-2008, 12:18 PM
From the sounds of these two reports, the offense could be historically bad, mainly due to the right side of the line and QB play. It's going to be UGLY.

If our coaches have any brains at all, we will see lots of multiple tight end formations, Mr. cdcox.

FAX

beach tribe
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
If our coaches have any brains at all, we will see lots of multiple tight end formations, Mr. cdcox.

FAX

I have a feeling about Brodie. I know that means absolutely Jack Shit, but I am crawling to see this kid play again. Cottam, I believe should be on the right side all the time staying in to block.

FAX
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I have a feeling about Brodie. I know that means absolutely Jack Shit, but I am crawling to see this kid play again. Cottam, I believe should be on the right side all the time staying in to block.

The fact that we don't have a solid fullback and LJ's pass blocking is so legendary, are also issues our exceptionally bright coaching staff are working on, I suppose.

If we can't run the ball again, we're very screwed.

FAX

beach tribe
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
The fact that we don't have a solid fullback and LJ's pass blocking is so legendary, are also issues our exceptionally bright coaching staff are working on, I suppose.

If we can't run the ball again, we're very screwed.

FAX

I know. I'm praying one of these FBs turns out to be serviceable.

Without a running game Brodie will be fuked. I think our back trio is going to help, but we will have to stretch the field early to keep 9 guys out of the box.
If we can survive till mid season, and have a halfway decent run game by then, I believe Brodie will make them pay for stacking the box.

stlchiefs
06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
The offense had 13 plays in the two-minute drill on Sunday, but could not crack the defense’s 37-yard line. Brodie Croyle was five of 12 and was sacked once, and probably would have gone down a couple of other times if tackling was allowed.

I'm all for giving Brodie a chance as much as the next, but this paragraph definitely made my stomach a little sick. 5 of 12 with multiple sacks :doh!: I sure hope this improves because all reports so far have me quite nervous about Brodie as a starting QB.

noa
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Pat Thomas?

tomahawk kid
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Based on the Jones comment, we'd had better be on the phone to LeCharles Bentley's agent.

It can't hurt anything to at least bring him in for a look.

beach tribe
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Based on the Jones comment, we'd had better be on the phone to LeCharles Bentley's agent.

It can't hurt anything to at least bring him in for a look.

A no-brainer IMO. He should already be here.

FAX
06-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm all for giving Brodie a chance as much as the next, but this paragraph definitely made my stomach a little sick. 5 of 12 with multiple sacks :doh!: I sure hope this improves because all reports so far have me quite nervous about Brodie as a starting QB.

That jumped out at me as well, Mr. stlchiefs. When this article was first posted, in fact.

I fear our line will not be much improved, after all. And, with the loss of JA, our defense will probably be worse.

Prepare yourselves Chiefs fans. This could be the worst season of all times.

FAX