PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Mark Kriegel nails the issue so far in the NBA Finals:

Direckshun
06-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Phil Jackson was furious that Powe shot 13 free throws. I'd be more angry he didn't shoot two or three more.
Exactly (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8227982?MSNHPHMA).

You can complain about the refs, but the Lakers played soft. WAY soft. When you're getting uncontested dunks, one after another, and wide open jumpers, you've got to dig down.

The Celtics got their ass run off the floor in 1984 and had to knock the shit out of the Lakers to get a fighting chance.

I don't know if the Lakers have the heart to get that dirty, I think they're banking on the fact that they're athletic enough or fast enough to run the Celtics off the floor like they did twenty years ago.

I'm betting that won't work against these Celtics, who have proven throughout their run to the Finals that they will kick, hit, scrape, and beat down whomever it takes to win.

I think that's been the difference between the Lakers and the Celtics so far, officiating aside. The Celtics, from their coach to their stars to their 12th man, are willing to do anything to win. I don't think that's true just yet of this young Lakers team.

noa
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Ronny Turiaf only regrets that he has but six fouls to give for his team.

CoMoChief
06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
The reffing in that game was TERRIBLE. Terrible anyway anyone looks at it. I'm surprised it's this bad in a Finals series. NBA reffing has been terrible for years though so Im not really that surprised by it.

Rooster
06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm sure one of the refs had money on the game. No big deal, just par for the NBA. :evil:

CoMoChief
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm sure one of the refs had money on the game. No big deal, just par for the NBA. :evil:

yeah no shit.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Are the Lakers playing soft, yes.
Are the Lakers clanking wide open shots, yes
Are the Celtics on fire, yes
Are the Celtics more physical, yes

All this may be true but that being the case this would still be a 1-1 series had it not been for this ridiculous officials debacle. What an embarrassment to the league that so desperately needs credibility after Donahee. Is it really that important to try and control the outcome of series? Is it really asking that much after making untold amounts of money off of the fans to actually allow us to see the players and teams determine the winner? I don't want pay backs at this point either. Just call the game correctly.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Ronny Turiaf only regrets that he has but six fouls to give for his team.

He is a guy who can be very physical too. He needs to make somebody pay the price for driving the lane.

As far as the Lakers playing soft I have one thing to add to that. I think Sasha put it best when he said what are we supposed to do? Every time we try and do anything there is an immediate foul called. For the record that will soften up a team really quick. Even in game one every time they tried to strip the ball it was called a foul. They did that all year very effectively but as soon as they played the Celtics it was a foul 100% of the time. WTF

StcChief
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Lakers get home cookin', so the NBA will make money for 6-7 games

the Talking Can
06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Gasol and Odom are gigantic vaginas

end of story

little jacob
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM

precisely... the league will want to make sure there are 7 games since people are watching for the first time in a decade

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM

I don't want home cooking I just wanted to see the players determine the series.

Ari Chi3fs
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Gasol and Odom are gigantic vaginas

end of story

ROFL

ChiefsFanatic
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Are the Lakers playing soft, yes.
Are the Lakers clanking wide open shots, yes
Are the Celtics on fire, yes
Are the Celtics more physical, yes

All this may be true but that being the case this would still be a 1-1 series had it not been for this ridiculous officials debacle. What an embarrassment to the league that so desperately needs credibility after Donahee. Is it really that important to try and control the outcome of series? Is it really asking that much after making untold amounts of money off of the fans to actually allow us to see the players and teams determine the winner? I don't want pay backs at this point either. Just call the game correctly.

Wow, I watched both games and thought it was just normal everyday officiating in the NBA. All players have to make adjustments to how the game is called. it is that simple. If Kobe was really as good as Michael, as Mark Jackson claims he is, then it would not matter. Mark Jackson is EFFING stupid, btw.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, I watched both games and thought it was just normal everyday officiating in the NBA. All players have to make adjustments to how the game is called. it is that simple. If Kobe was really as good as Michael, as Mark Jackson claims he is, then it would not matter. Mark Jackson is EFFING stupid, btw.

WHAT? LMAO Unfriggenbelievable, I'm out.

ChiefsFanatic
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
WHAT? LMAO Unfriggenbelievable, I'm out.

What? Because I dont think Kobe is as good as Michael? Because I dont think that the refs are jobbing the Lakers? Because I think that all the players have to adjust to the officiating? It is the NBA, they travel all the time, they foul all the time, they whine all the time, and the refs want to be a part of the show all the time.

Deberg_1990
06-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Dont worry BD, im sure Jack Nicholson and the rest of the Hollywood elite "took care" of the refs tonight. :)

Basileus777
06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

NBA reffing isn't corrupt? Of course this will get buried because of ABC/ESPN's contract with the NBA. Where is Arlen Specter when you need him?

ChiefsFanatic
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM

NBA reffing isn't corrupt? Of course this will get buried because of ABC/ESPN's contract with the NBA. Where is Arlen Specter when you need him?

So, which one of the Lakers star players fouled out of games 1 and 2? Which star Laker player was becnhed with foul trouble when his play could have been the difference? Which NBA ref made Kobe shoot 1 for 6 from 3-point range? Or how did they make Kobe shot 36% the first game?

kstater
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Well that can't be good for the NBA.

Basileus777
06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
So, which one of the Lakers star players fouled out of games 1 and 2? Which star Laker player was becnhed with foul trouble when his play could have been the difference? Which NBA ref made Kobe shoot 1 for 6 from 3-point range? Or how did they make Kobe shot 36% the first game?

When did I say anything about the Lakers? Well besides the NBA giving that game 6 in the 2002 WCF against the Kings to the Lakers.

But if anyone thinks that NBA officiating isn't corrupt, well....

The thing is, because ESPN isn't going to plaster this all over its front page and talk about it repeatedly, most people won't care.

ChiefsFanatic
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
When did I say anything about the Lakers? Well besides the NBA giving that game 6 in the 2002 WCF against the Kings to the Lakers.

But if anyone thinks that NBA officiating isn't corrupt, well....

The thing is, because ESPN isn't going to plaster this all over its front page and talk about it repeatedly, most people won't care.

No, it was really a response to everyone talking about the refs ensuring the lakers lose by unfair officiating. My point was that Kobe could have played better, and the officials did not have anything to do with that.

I think that officiating in all major sports is influenced by many factors that effect partiality.

Basileus777
06-10-2008, 06:33 PM
No, it was really a response to everyone talking about the refs ensuring the lakers lose by unfair officiating. My point was that Kobe could have played better, and the officials did not have anything to do with that.

Of course thats true, but that doesn't mean the officiating wasn't biased or even corrupt. There are many factors in an NBA game, but you cannot dismiss the impact of officiating. Yeah, player X could have played better, etc. But I don't think that is a good response.

You could say the same about the 2002 WCF. The Lakers/Kings game 6 was fixed. Yeah, the Kings could have won game 7, but they shouldn't have had to.

sportsman1
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Did yall hear today where Donahae (crooked ref) is claiming that Stern had the refs throw game 6 of the Kings/Lakers playoff series in 02 just so the NBA could get higher ratings? Supposedly his trial team is going to play the card that everything is Sterns fault and its a grander cheating scheme.

SPchief
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Did yall hear today where Donahae (crooked ref) is claiming that Stern had the refs throw game 6 of the Kings/Lakers playoff series in 02 just so the NBA could get higher ratings? Supposedly his trial team is going to play the card that everything is Sterns fault and its a grander cheating scheme.

It was possibly discussed in this thread if you cared enough to read it.

sportsman1
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Missed the part where Stern was implicated.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I've always wondered if officials in sports had fixed games (not just NBA) Wouldn't be surprised if something comes out in the NFL like that.

sportsman1
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Well you gotta think about the impact that NBA and NFL refs can have on a game. They can affect the scores a lot more easier than in say baseball. Simple pass interference call will take off 6 points, and points can be manipulated in even more ways in basketball.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Well you gotta think about the impact that NBA and NFL refs can have on a game. They can affect the scores a lot more easier than in say baseball. Simple pass interference call will take off 6 points, and points can be manipulated in even more ways in basketball.

I am almost certain games have been fixed in the NFL. Phantom interference and holding calls that have taken touchdowns away causing the other team to win. Would be the easiest sport to manipulate for sure.