PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Margarita Recipe

booyaf2
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Need something thats quick easy, and foolproof. Nothing exotic, just a good recipe for guests.
Thanks in advance fellow drinkers.

KCUnited
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
12 oz. Fresca
12 oz. Corona (or any other Mexican beer)
12 oz. Tequila (Jose Cuevo or above)
12 oz. can of lime aid.

Stir. Seriously top shelf material at a fraction of the price and is made of mostly alcohol. Enjoy

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Not the best, but the easiest?

Buy a bottle of margarita mix and buy tequila. Mix.

If you want to make your own get tequila, lime juice and triple sec (cointreau). Mix in a 3:2:1 ratio of tequila:cointreau:lime. Put lime juice around the rim of the glass and dip in salt. Enjoy!

mlyonsd
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
If you want them on the rocks I'd just buy some Cuervo already mixed margarita's in the 1.75 liter bottle.

If you buy really good tequila....El Tesoro Anejo....you don't need to mix it with anything...in fact it's probably a crime.

DaFace
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I've found that the mix I get from Safeway tastes as good as anything I've ever thrown together myself.

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
If you want them on the rocks I'd just buy some Cuervo already mixed margarita's in the 1.75 liter bottle.

If you buy really good tequila....El Tesoro Anejo....you don't need to mix it with anything...in fact it's probably a crime.

Yep. Any good tequila in a margarita or other mixed drink is a waste.

FAX
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Margarita recipes vary a great deal. I'd start with 3:2:1 tequila:triple sec:fresh lime juice and work from there based on your taste, Mr. booyaf2. You can always add more lime juice. Some people use limeaid, but that can be bad depending on the kind of limeaid you use.

Add ice, a blender, and some salt and you're good to go.

FAX

booyaf2
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
thanks for the replies. Hosting a little gathering this weekend, and several of the attendees i know like margaritas, as i've seen them have it at their own parties. Just wanted to look like i knew what i was doing rather than serving the already made stuff.

RJ
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Buy a bottle of sweet & sour mix, follow the directions on the back. It's pretty much fool-proof and simple, especially if you're making them for a crowd.

KC Kings
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
It really depends on what you are used to. We don't like the sweet and sour recipe, homemade, in a bucket, or premixed. We get the Bacardi Frozen can of Margarita mix, add 3/4th can of tequilla and add ice. Blend it all together and it taste awesome.

I have tried the frozen lime-aid but it didn't taste the same. The good thing about the bacardi version is that you can use Ru, instead of tequilla which is much cheaper, and a little different taste than the tequilla. Tequilla makes me want to stay up all night, so I usually drink Rum margaritas late at night.

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I have tried the frozen lime-aid but it didn't taste the same. The good thing about the bacardi version is that you can use Ru, instead of tequilla which is much cheaper, and a little different taste than the tequilla. Tequilla makes me want to stay up all night, so I usually drink Rum margaritas late at night.

Glad that you found a drink you enjoy, but if there's no tequila then it's not a margarita.

Fish
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Rum is nothing but pirate piss and sugar.....

ChiefGator
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I got a bottle of the mix the other day, and was disappointed to see what was in it. So, I started making my own. I started at the 3:2:1 ratio, but that seemed a bit strong.

Now, I use 2 parts tequila (I use Suaza Hornitos Reposado) , 1 part cointreau, grand manier, or triple sec, and 1 part lime juice. I add a small amount of sugar (but not too much). Serve over ice.

Darn good, if you ask me.

Chiefnj2
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
12 oz. Fresca
12 oz. Corona (or any other Mexican beer)
12 oz. Tequila (Jose Cuevo or above)
12 oz. can of lime aid.

Stir. Seriously top shelf material at a fraction of the price and is made of mostly alcohol. Enjoy

Sounds like that would give you a case of the mean Mexican mudsquirts.

MOhillbilly
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
margiritas is a easy recipe. see here, you take one part nasty booze and add 5 parts of headache and 3 parts hangover and your set.

siberian khatru
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
My wife enjoys margaritas on the porch every Sunday afternoon.

I just use bottled margarita mix (they all taste the same to me), cheap tequila, triple sec (the aforementioned 3:2:1 is a good ratio) and a splash of brandy. Put in a blender with ice and you're good to go.

Guru
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Damn! No Nzoner sighting in this thread? A crime!!!!!

Nzoner
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Damn! No Nzoner sighting in this thread? A crime!!!!!

The mrs had me shopping all day for snacks and other stuff to have on hand for fireworks season.

As for the best margarita I'd be calling on Dartgod,the man makes the best I've ever had and I'll let him share if he sees this.

Dartgod
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
The mrs had me shopping all day for snacks and other stuff to have on hand for fireworks season.

As for the best margarita I'd be calling on Dartgod,the man makes the best I've ever had and I'll let him share if he sees this.
I figured you'd chime in.

I'll do my best but I don't have a recipe per say. Anyway, here's how I make them.

1 - 1.75 L bottle of Jose Cuervo Mix (do not substitute anything else!)

1/2 bottle (750 ML) of premium tequila

The rest of this is just estimated amounts, because I never measure them out

Approx 4 - 6 oz. of Grand Marnier
Approx 3 - 4 oz of orange flavored Rum (Bacardi O or similar)
Approx 6 - 8 oz of orange juice

Mix well and enjoy. I would recommend using the low end of the previous ingredients and then adding more to suit your taste.

I've been making these for several years now and EVERYONE who has tried them say they are the best damn margs they've ever had.

JASONSAUTO
06-10-2008, 05:40 PM
12 OZ CAN LIME AIDE
3/4 LIME AIDE CAN OF TEQUILA
1/2 CAN BEER
ICE
BLEND REALLY WELL
THESE ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST MARGARITAS IVE HAD ATHOME

Demonpenz
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
now I want to drink damnit

siberian khatru
06-10-2008, 05:48 PM

I'll do my best but I don't have a recipe per say. Anyway, here's how I make them.

Mix well and enjoy. I would recommend using the low end of the previous ingredients and then adding more to suit your taste.

I've been making these for several years now and EVERYONE who has tried them say they are the best damn margs they've ever had.

OJ, huh? Interesting.

Looks really good. Can't wait to make it.

Cormac
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
KC United said it best.

1 can frozen limeade
Equal vol. tequila
1 can 7up
1 bottle Corona

Add ice.

Don't blend it :spock:

It sounds odd but you won't be disappointed. And it couldn't be easier or quicker to make.

NewChief
06-11-2008, 04:39 AM
KC United said it best.

1 can frozen limeade
Equal vol. tequila
1 can 7up
1 bottle Corona

Add ice.

Don't blend it :spock:

It sounds odd but you won't be disappointed. And it couldn't be easier or quicker to make.

These are delicious. I actually mentioned this recipe in a thread about soft drinks the other day. Your guests won't be disappointed, and they'll probably marvel at how good and different the margaritas taste. This is my goto recipe for margaritas these days. It's almost too easy, but they are really, really good. Just be careful, because they are deceptively strong.

Guru
06-11-2008, 04:44 AM

Just to confirm, by 1/2 a bottle you mean 375 ML correct. May seem like a stupid question but just want to avoid over doing it. heh

Dartgod
06-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Just to confirm, by 1/2 a bottle you mean 375 ML correct. May seem like a stupid question but just want to avoid over doing it. heh
Correct.

Jilly
06-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Someone else said it, but I always follow the recipe on the back of the sweet and sour mix...and most people have said they were the best margaritas ever.... I'd go with something different if you're looking for the frozen kind. Actually On The Border makes those tubs that you can put in the freezer....they're not all that bad.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Correct.

1.75L of mix and only 375mL of tequila?? Sounds weak.

booyaf2
06-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Did some experimenting last night. Ended up with a pretty good margarita i thought. I will try Dartgod's concoction before saturday. Here's what i threw together

1 cup of Sauza Gold
1 cup of Simple syrup
1/3 cup of fresh lime juice
1/3 cup of Triple Sec

KCUnited
06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
These are delicious. I actually mentioned this recipe in a thread about soft drinks the other day. Your guests won't be disappointed, and they'll probably marvel at how good and different the margaritas taste. This is my goto recipe for margaritas these days. It's almost too easy, but they are really, really good. Just be careful, because they are deceptively strong.

Ponak's here in KC is renowned for their margaritas. My buddy was a long time cook there back in the day and passed their margarita recipe on too me and I'll still take the limeaid, beer, fresca, tequila margarita over the Ponak's anyday. And you are correct, they are deceptively strong.

Dartgod
06-11-2008, 07:07 AM
1.75L of mix and only 375mL of tequila?? Sounds weak.
Trust me, it's not.

Dartgod
06-11-2008, 07:08 AM
The key to a great margarita starts with the tequila. You can't make one with Cuervo Gold, Sauza Gold or similar tequilas.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Trust me, it's not.

A 4.6:1 ratio? Lightweight :p

Pic
06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/Picturesspeaklouder/marg.jpg

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
1800's not bad and it's relatively inexpensive.

cdcox
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Did some experimenting last night. Ended up with a pretty good margarita i thought. I will try Dartgod's concoction before saturday. Here's what i threw together

1 cup of Sauza Gold
1 cup of Simple syrup
1/3 cup of fresh lime juice
1/3 cup of Triple Sec

This is pretty close to what I do. A traditional 3:2:1 margarita is going to be too strong and too sour for most people's tastes.

Personally, I'd bump the Triple Sec up to 2/3 cup (to restore the 3:2:1 ratio) and decrease the simple syrup to compensate for the additional sweetness of the Triple Sec. Either way, it will probably be a bit stronger than a typical watered-down restaurant margarita, so it should be a good party.

ceebz
06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
My favorite recipe:

Pineapple Juice
Silver/White Tequila
Fresh Lime Juice
Half cup of mint leaves

Mix it all together in a big pitcher with ice.