PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Sprained ankle slows Chiefs rookie Albert

Tribal Warfare
06-10-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/658638.html

Sprained ankle slows Chiefs rookie Albert
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Branden Albert limped to his locker Tuesday wearing a plastic boot on his left ankle. There was a chair in front of Albert’s locker. He was seconds from taking a load off when veteran guard Brian Waters spoke up from a chair in front of his locker, to the left of the space assigned to the Chiefs rookie.

“Uh-uh, rook,” Waters said, not smiling. “That’s my area, too. You don’t sit in my area.”

Albert shuffled to his left and leaned against a wall. He smiled, acknowledging that hazing is part of the rookie welcome, injury or not.

Albert was standing when he said the sprained ankle he suffered Sunday likely would keep him out of the Chiefs’ final week of offseason practice. He did not practice Tuesday and said he didn’t expect to work today or Thursday.

“I’ve just got to protect it right now,” he said.

The Chiefs’ second of two first-round picks — defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is the other one — is not just a rookie. He’s a rookie learning a new position and trying to cram in as much prep work as possible before training camp begins July 25. Albert played guard at Virginia; the Chiefs, though, viewed him from the beginning as a tackle. Coaches think he can be the team’s left tackle of the present and future.

They like Albert so much that they moved eight-year veteran Damion McIntosh to right tackle, a position he’s never played, to make room.

Albert admitted that sitting out a quarter of the Chiefs’ four weeks of offseason work is not ideal for a rookie with so much to learn. But, he said, if he had to be injured, at least he’ll miss only the final week.

“For it to happen the time it did, it’s fortunate,” said Albert, the No. 15 overall pick in April’s draft. “I’ve got a month or two to recover.

“There are some things I’ve still got to learn; some things I’ve still got to get used to. I’ve got the basics of it down.”

Albert said he injured the ankle Sunday during a run-blocking drill. He said his and a teammate’s feet were tangled, and he twisted the ankle. He spent most of that day’s practice on the trainer’s table in a tent near the practice fields. Albert was carted off the field after the session.

He said Tuesday the ankle is sore when he uses it to push off. He said the decision to keep him out this week is a precaution and that the injury is “not a big deal.”

The injury was not enough to keep Albert off every field this week. He threw out the first pitch before Tuesday’s Royals game at Kauffman Stadium. Albert, who throws left-handed, normally would push off using his left ankle when making such a throw.

Before the game, he said he didn’t know how far the ball would travel — but that he knew some teammates wouldn’t overlook a pitch in the dirt. He did just fine, getting the ball over the plate.

“Somebody told me if I throw a sinker to the ground, they’ll laugh at me,” he said, still standing a few feet from Waters.

Albert said that was part of being a rookie, too. Waters didn’t disagree.

stlchiefs
06-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm not liking the fact our "LT of the Future" has already pulled up lame during shorts practices in offseason practices. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

HMc
06-10-2008, 11:42 PM
“Uh-uh, rook,” Waters said, not smiling. “That’s my area, too. You don’t sit in my area.”

Albert shuffled to his left and leaned against a wall. He smiled, acknowledging that hazing is part of the rookie welcome, injury or not.

What a completely ****ed thing to say. Who careshow long he's been around or how big his dick is, theyre teammates and the kid has an injury.

milkman
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not liking the fact our "LT of the Future" has already pulled up lame during shorts practices in offseason practices. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

His name isn't McGinatosh.

Nightfyre
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
What a completely ****ed thing to say. Who careshow long he's been around or how big his dick is, theyre teammates and the kid has an injury.
:shake: I mean, last I checked this was the NFL, not the Carebear consortium.

Tribal Warfare
06-10-2008, 11:46 PM

He was shinning him on, just light hearted razzing

TRR
06-10-2008, 11:48 PM

I don't think there is any way of preventing a sprained ankle from happening now and again. Especially if your an O Lineman in the NFL. I hardly think it's a sign of weakness, or a sign of things to come regarding Branden Albert. He'll miss a week at most.

KCrockaholic
06-10-2008, 11:55 PM
:shake: I mean, last I checked this was the NFL, not the Carebear consortium.

man, i could go with either side here. i guess if Albert's ankle isnt that serious its ok, but i know if im a veteran in the NFL, and a rookie with an injury wants to sit. its fine with me....now if hes not injured and hes sitting in my territory, id probably tell him to F. O. but i think they need to respect eachother more as teammates rather than rookie vs. veteran....that just seems childish to me

Nightfyre
06-11-2008, 12:01 AM
man, i could go with either side here. i guess if Albert's ankle isnt that serious its ok, but i know if im a veteran in the NFL, and a rookie with an injury wants to sit. its fine with me....now if hes not injured and hes sitting in my territory, id probably tell him to F. O. but i think they need to respect eachother more as teammates rather than rookie vs. veteran....that just seems childish to me

'He said Tuesday the ankle is sore when he uses it to push off. He said the decision to keep him out this week is a precaution and that the injury is “not a big deal.”'

Talk about blown out of proportion. Hazing is and has been a part of team activities since day one. It makes people feel like they have to earn the privileges that are held by team members. It promotes a much greater team unity when those privileges are given to the rookies. I'll refrain from commenting about your undoubtedly liberal political stances.

InChiefsHell
06-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Oh Noes...Waters was mean to the wittle Rookie...

...good Lord people, it's not like he made him run laps or something...

the Talking Can
06-11-2008, 07:01 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDDEhLw1PVI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDDEhLw1PVI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HMc
06-11-2008, 07:03 AM
'He said Tuesday the ankle is sore when he uses it to push off. He said the decision to keep him out this week is a precaution and that the injury is “not a big deal.”'

Talk about blown out of proportion. Hazing is and has been a part of team activities since day one. It makes people feel like they have to earn the privileges that are held by team members. It promotes a much greater team unity when those privileges are given to the rookies. I'll refrain from commenting about your undoubtedly liberal political stances.

Here you go sir, here's 15 million dollars based purely of shit that we think you can probably do. But if you want to have a seat infront of your own locker you're going to have to earn it!!!!1

How shit like this creates team unity i will never know. What about hey have a seat man, let's have a chat?

FTR, over here you'd probably get belted by another senior player if you acted that way to anyone in the lockerroom.

HMc
06-11-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't understand what being a "locker-room cancer" is if it aint doing shit like this. It was hardly a joke if the guy didnt get a seat.

phisherman
06-11-2008, 07:10 AM
the pussification of america continues.

tomahawk kid
06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't think there is any way of preventing a sprained ankle from happening now and again. Especially if your an O Lineman in the NFL. I hardly think it's a sign of weakness, or a sign of things to come regarding Branden Albert. He'll miss a week at most.

Similar to the McIntosh injury last year in training camp.

Sounds like one of those things that just happens when you have 300 lb dudes shoving on each other.

The Bad Guy
06-11-2008, 07:39 AM

I don't like the fact when posters are dumb as ****ing bricks.

InChiefsHell
06-11-2008, 07:43 AM
I don't understand what being a "locker-room cancer" is if it aint doing shit like this. It was hardly a joke if the guy didnt get a seat.

I can't believe the visceral over reaction to this...did you get beat up a lot as a kid?

angelo
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM

If you look at the photos from the practices. You can see that the Offensive Line players ankles are not taped. They are wearing regular high top cleats.
It is very easy to roll or twist an ankle without the added protection of taping when you are dancing with guy's 250 pounds or more.

I understand the hazing ritual. It is like the military. These guys come from a college environment where they are usually the big men on campus. They have the egos to match. The hazing is a quick slap to the face to say "You are back at the bottom and have to prove yourself all over again". If they were allowed to walk in unchallenged other than physically. The mental and emotional bonds that are needed for a team to function as a cohesive unit may not be forged. Their are times when hazing definitely gets out of hand .
It has been around since we first gathered together in caves.

But that is just my Opinion

Ang

InChiefsHell
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDDEhLw1PVI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDDEhLw1PVI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ho-ly-crap...:eek:

Buehler445
06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
If you look at the photos from the practices. You can see that the Offensive Line players ankles are not taped. They are wearing regular high top cleats.
It is very easy to roll or twist an ankle without the added protection of taping when you are dancing with guy's 250 pounds or more.

I understand the hazing ritual. It is like the military. These guys come from a college environment where they are usually the big men on campus. They have the egos to match. The hazing is a quick slap to the face to say "You are back at the bottom and have to prove yourself all over again". If they were allowed to walk in unchallenged other than physically. The mental and emotional bonds that are needed for a team to function as a cohesive unit may not be forged. Their are times when hazing definitely gets out of hand .
It has been around since we first gathered together in caves.

But that is just my Opinion

Ang

Agreed, Angelo. Where were these guys when Kennison taped Bowe to the goalpost and dumped icewater on him? He didn't get sand in his 'giner and had a pretty decent season. This shit happens. Even in the non-sporting world, new guys are looked down upon, but it is typically a lot less lighthearted. If you want to go out and change the world, figure out a way to get rid of all the office politics.

blueballs
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
He's unsigned and it's just a mini-camp atmoshere -no shots
he would be expected to "gut it out" otherwise -hell Roaf could barley walk
some of you need to find your nuts

HMc
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I can't believe the visceral over reaction to this...did you get beat up a lot as a kid?

Of course that's the only possible explanation!

I suppose our cultures are different.

Chiefless
06-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Rookies would think something was wrong if they didn't get hazed like that. It's a weird, sports right of passage. Albert seemed to enjoy it, to me.

blueballs
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
We like to bitch about the amount of money these wetends make
they know/or learn going in they forfeit future use of their bodies to some extent
if they don't have the heart/will they won't last

KCUnited
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Hopefully with the help of B. Waters, the pussification of our Oline won't continue.

eazyb81
06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Where are the idiots that were saying McIntosh would not be moved to RT?

R&GHomer
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Isn't that the F'N truth. Waters was just giving the rook some shit. Hell, they wrapped bowe to the goal post last year and pored Ice cold Gatorade on him. I guess Albert's will just have to spend a little of the millions he's going to make on therapy.

tomahawk kid
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't like the fact when posters are dumb as ****ing bricks.

Agreed.

It's like there's a case of "dumbf#ckitis" infecting more and more of the fan base these days.

milkman
06-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Where are the idiots that were saying McIntosh would not be moved to RT?

I'm one of those "idiots" and we said it was a bad idea.

It's still a bad idea, cause McGinatosh is not a physical downhil blocker, and he will be owned by the generally bigger LDEs he will be facing.

After getting a look at his pic from these recent workouts, it's not surprising that he is such a pussy blocker.

It's surprising that worthless bastard can hold up his own weight on those chicken legs.

StcChief
06-11-2008, 09:16 AM
the pussification of america continues.no doubt... it's spread to Chiefsplanet, or maybe it's a generational thing.

Fish
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM

Did you play any sports growing up?

It's about earning respect. This is normally the way the vets and rookies form relationships that carry over to the field.

Did you expect Waters to give him a hug and quilt up a boot for his foot?

HMc
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Did you play any sports growing up?

It's about earning respect. This is normally the way the vets and rookies form relationships that carry over to the field.

Did you expect Waters to give him a hug and quilt up a boot for his foot?

Not only growing up, but right now. And it's Rugby, which is no "pussier" than American Football.

Around here respect is earnt by playing your guts out on the field and being a good mate off it. Being a c*nt in the locker room generally earns you the title of, well, "c*nt".

Nup, I epected waters to ah, let him sit infront of his own locker. Wierd huh.

Fish
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Not only growing up, but right now. And it's Rugby, which is no "pussier" than American Football.

Around here respect is earnt by playing your guts out on the field and being a good mate off it. Being a c*nt in the locker room generally earns you the title of, well, "c*nt".

I've never played rugby, but every other sport I've played included some hazing for the young guys. It's not considered being a **** by any means. It happens, and it's expected. You go through it, show respect, and earn respect like everyone else did when they were "that guy", or you look like the whining young bitch that's too good for those who are long-standing team members. That's the way it works, and that's why Albert took it with a smile instead of getting up in Waters' face.

FAX
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
When we hire a new employee, we always treat them like crap for about a month. It's all good.

FAX

blueballs
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
this may explain why aussies stick to punting

beach tribe
06-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Waters went throught the same thing. That's where he learned it.

It's absolutely nothing to even take notice of. It wiil always be. Especially in the NFL. It is nothing personal at all.

FAX
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm with those who think that rookie hazing has its place.

Only the best of the best make it to the NFL. Since they enter the league with huge egos after having had excellent collegiate careers, they need to understand that this is an entirely new ballgame and, when you play for the Kansas City Chiefs, you have to get used to being treated like garbage.

FAX

InChiefsHell
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Of course that's the only possible explanation!

I suppose our cultures are different.

I didn't notice you are Australian, so yeah, I'd guess that it is just a cultural thing...