PDA

View Full Version : Weather Des Moines = Atlantis

SBK
06-11-2008, 12:26 AM
I am from Des Moines, anyone up there now want to share insights of the flooding? Is downtown under water yet? What about the giant waterbomb heading down from Saylorville tonight?

Former locals want to know.....

Fish
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
It may be worse than you thought....

Ultra Peanut
06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Huh. The I-Cubs could end up playing their "home" series against Nashville in Memphis.

Chief Henry
06-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Last night at 10 pm they started letting more water out of the emergency spillway at Saylorville. That new water should get to the downtown area of DSM by around 10 am
this morning. 1040 WHO radio is constantly giving updates on the flooding. Some lady jsut called the Jan Michelson show and said the Little Leuge ball fields by I-80 are submerged. The called said she could not beleave how close the water was to I-80.

Prayers are needed for many places int he midwest right now for all the flooding and
potential flooding. THe weather forcast is calling for possible 2-6 inch's of more rain
from DSM north to Ft.Dodge. That intire area drains right into DSM with the two rivers
(Racoon and DSM) meeting downtown DSM at the Principal Park, where the AAA Iowa Cubs baseball team plays.

StcChief
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
It's all coming down hill flood of '93 ??? The reassuring folks in STL say Monarch levee will hold now at 500 year level. :rolleyes: that happened in July 93 alot of water to drain yet

tooge
06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I was in DesMoines in July of '93 for our wedding shower. My mom and friends did the wedding shower for my wife while my brother and I filled and stacked sandbags along the raccoon river. We worked for about 6 hours and the national guard finally made us leave as the water began seeping through the bag wall. It was a good 200 yards away when we started the wall, and 3 feet up it 6 hours later. I almost lost my truck in the high water. I hope it isn't another '93 there or here.

Buehler445
06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I was in DesMoines in July of '93 for our wedding shower. My mom and friends did the wedding shower for my wife while my brother and I filled and stacked sandbags along the raccoon river. We worked for about 6 hours and the national guard finally made us leave as the water began seeping through the bag wall. It was a good 200 yards away when we started the wall, and 3 feet up it 6 hours later. I almost lost my truck in the high water. I hope it isn't another '93 there or here.

SUCK

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2008, 12:32 PM
While not directly Des Moines related, I spent most of yesterday sandbagging the levees in Cedar Falls. Man, the River was literally a few inches from the top by the time I called it quits (around 10 pm). The flooding is worse than in 93. In some places, it's much worse. During the first six months of this year, we've had record snowfall, an EF-5 tornado, and now the worst floods that anyone can recall. Unreal.

The good news is that our hard work has, so far, paid off. The levee has not been breached and downtown CF has been saved. I live on the other side of town, so I really wasn't in any danger, but it's nice to keep our town mostly intact. It was truly amazing to witness thousands of people taking time off from work to help with the effort. The folks around here always pitch in to help their neighbors and this was a truly inspirational example.

Jenson71
06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I live in Waterloo and was helping out a friend with her neighborhood, which is by the Cedar River and a lake. If the river flooded into the lake, the lake would have risen into her backyard. Hopefully the sandbags work, but they didn't sound too optimistic.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I live in Waterloo and was helping out a friend with her neighborhood, which is by the Cedar River and a lake. If the river flooded into the lake, the lake would have risen into her backyard. Hopefully the sandbags work, but they didn't sound too optimistic.Jenson, I heard that Waterloo was having a difficult time getting enough people to help with the sandbagging. CF (around 30000 people), at some times, had too many people while Waterloo (~100000) couldn't find enough?

RustShack
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I live in Waterloo, but I worked like all day and night last night for someone who couldn't come in because of his house flooding in CF.

SBK
06-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I lived on Fleur drive in 93, can remember walking down the hill to help with sandbagging for days. My brothers went to see Clinton, shook his hand a couple times.

It's amazing what times like this do for a community, lots of people pitching in to help save the stuff of complete strangers.

Hopefully you don't lose waterworks again...

Jenson71
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Jenson, I heard that Waterloo was having a difficult time getting enough people to help with the sandbagging. CF (around 30000 people), at some times, had too many people while Waterloo (~100000) couldn't find enough?

I hadn't heard anything like that, but I also haven't been paying too much attention to the news or anything.

blueballs
06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Iowanian could have drowned in a mud puddle

BWillie
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
How's Iowa City looking any news?

SNR
06-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Floods suck. I lived in Grand Forks, ND during the spring of 1997, which is when half of our town was destroyed due to flooding. Our basement got nailed, and I had friends who lost everything. It took about three years to get the place running like normal again. A few years ago all of our new permanent dikes and levees were built and it wasn't until recent that our population surpassed what it was in 1997 due to everybody leaving town.

Valiant
06-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Des mOines meth production must be taken a huge hit from this flood..

SBK
06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Court Ave flooded today.....anything else new?

Also read about the boy scout camp that got hit with a tornado in NW Iowa killed 4 people. That's just horrible. My Iowa brethren need a break!

chasedude
06-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Man this weather is crazy!!

A Damaging tornado touched down in Manhattan KS. Watching KSNT and now the signal is gone.

So who's been pissing off mother Earth?

Joie
06-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I lived in SW Iowa in '93. I hear that my hometown is sandbagging again. My mom has to take an alternate route to work because the main road out of her town is under water.

SBK
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
So who's been pissing off mother Earth?

Al Gore.

Bugeater
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
There's a big ass storm bearing down on DSM as I type this. Probably not what they need right now.

chasedude
06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Al Gore.

He'd definately bore her to death with that monotone voice :grr:

RustShack
06-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I lived in SW Iowa in '93. I hear that my hometown is sandbagging again. My mom has to take an alternate route to work because the main road out of her town is under water.

Sorry I'm just curious because I'm from Creston in SW Iowa, where did you live?

blueballs
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Rhonda Moss: What do you think about the floods in Iowa
Herm: I was not surprised to hear the rivers and creeks were swolled

SBK
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Rhonda Moss: What do you think about the floods in Iowa
Herm: I was not surprised to hear the rivers and creeks were swolled

But at the end of the day it's the levee's job to make sure the water doesn't escape.

Bugeater
06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry I'm just curious because I'm from Creston in SW Iowa, where did you live?

I believe she lived in Gawd Damned Hamburg.

Ultra Peanut
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm just going to guess that this isn't how Cedar Rapids normally looks?

http://i25.tinypic.com/29lxr9c.jpg

Joie
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm just going to guess that this isn't how Cedar Rapids normally looks?

http://i25.tinypic.com/29lxr9c.jpg

They're trying to model themselves after Venice.

Ultra Peanut
06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
See, that's what I was thinking. Just dam that water up, build everything up a level, insert gondolas, and voila!

Joie
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
See, that's what I was thinking. Just dam that water up, build everything up a level, insert gondolas, and voila!

Add a few hotels and you have yourself a tourist trap.

aturnis
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Des Moines is nothing compared to Cedar Rapids.

SBK
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
www.drudgereport.com has a great picture of downtown Des Moines. That arch is a riverside stage for concerts and things....well, it used to be.

Read today that they're evacuating downtown Des Moines saying 500 year flood levels are expected. That would put much of the housing downtown under water. For an area that's just getting going it could be devastating. Bad news all around.

Cedar Rapids seems to have it way worse. Read that power could be out there for months.....

Mr. Plow
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Terrible Terrible weather everyone is having. From Milwaukee, to Des Moines, to Indianapolis and into Michigan.

Keep safe everyone.

DTLB58
06-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I live in Waterloo. Our house was not affected by the floods but it did my mom's house.

I have been out there literally day and night since last Wedensday June 11th. The water got up to 14 inches in her basement at onetime. I know that's not nearly as bad as a lot of people had however, I grew up in that house and since 1968 we had never had a drop of water in there.

After one full week of manning 4 sump pumps finally this past Wednesday the 18th we were able to pull them out. The water was still coming in up but the drain was able to handle it. Yesterday the 19th the water stopped coming in, FINALLY!!!!!

Unfortunately her basement that was 100% finished off is a 100% loss. We already have had a contractor in there to gut,power wash and sanitize and all that is left is 4 cement walls. Which I guess at this point we are grateful for those.

I have been impressed by the response of her Insurance company,FEMA and SBA who has been chosen to be the gov't entity to offer 2.86% loans to those that need them. They have all have had a rep to her house already and promised help.

Good luck to all of those affected! I know what you are going through.

sparkky
06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
I feel for everyone who has and will suffer losses due to the water, especially the farmers.

and for us all that will have to deal with the price of grains and meats in the months to come.