PDA

View Full Version : Life Study: Marijuana potency increases in 2007

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Study: Marijuana potency increases in 2007

By HOPE YEN, Associated Press WriterThu Jun 12, 7:21 AM ET

Marijuana potency increased last year to the highest level in more than 30 years, posing greater health risks to people who may view the drug as harmless, according to a report released Thursday by the White House.

The latest analysis from the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in samples seized by law enforcement agencies from 1975 through 2007. It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent in 2007, compared with 8.75 percent the previous year.

The 9.6 percent level represents more than a doubling of marijuana potency since 1983, when it averaged just under 4 percent.

"Today's report makes it more important than ever that we get past outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana," said John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. He cited baby boomer parents who might have misguided notions that the drug contains the weaker potency levels of the 1970s.

"Marijuana potency has grown steeply over the past decade, with serious implications in particular for young people," Walters said. He cited the risk of psychological, cognitive and respiratory problems, and the potential for users to become dependent on drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

While the drug's potency may be rising, marijuana users generally adjust to the level of potency and smoke it accordingly, said Dr. Mitch Earleywine, who teaches psychology at the State University of New York in Albany and serves as an adviser for marijuana advocacy groups. "Stronger cannabis leads to less inhaled smoke," he said.

The White House office attributed the increases in marijuana potency to sophisticated growing techniques that drug traffickers are using at sites in the United States and Canada.

A report from the office last month found that a teenager who has been depressed in the past year was more than twice as likely to have used marijuana than teenagers who have not reported being depressed — 25 percent compared with 12 percent. The study said marijuana use increased the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent.

"The increases in marijuana potency are of concern since they increase the likelihood of acute toxicity, including mental impairment," said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which funded the University of Mississippi study.

"Particularly worrisome is the possibility that the more potent THC might be more effective at triggering the changes in the brain that can lead to addiction," Volkow said.

But there's no data showing that a higher potency in marijuana leads to more addiction, Earleywine said, and marijuana's withdrawal symptoms are mild at best. "Mild irritability, craving for marijuana and decreased appetite — I mean those are laughable when you talk about withdrawal from a drug. Caffeine is worse."

The project analyzed data on 62,797 cannabis samples, 1,302 hashish samples, and 468 hash oil samples obtained primarily from seizures by law enforcement agencies in 48 states since 1975.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080612/ap_on_he_me/marijuana_potency;_ylt=ApFhGpUrywYvdw9inI6cz.ys0NUE

Consistent1
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Haha. I guess that I am one of the few in the world that does not like pot. Doesn't work for me. Good post though.

CoMoChief
06-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Yaaaaaawn.

There are far more worse things for your body like.........you know.......alcohol.

DaFace
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm confused. Higher potency --> less smoke inhaled --> less chance of health issues, right? Wouldn't this be a good thing?

Consistent1
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Yaaaaaawn.

There are far more worse things for your body like.........you know.......alcohol.

Very true. I don't like "the smoke", but booze is much worse. If you can do what you do, and not have a problem....then, whatever is cool with me. I have been around so many smokers that I know it can be fine in most cases.

StcChief
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
A report from the office last month found that a teenager who has been depressed in the past year was more than twice as likely to have used marijuana than teenagers who have not reported being depressed — 25 percent compared with 12 percent. The study said marijuana use increased the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent.

"The increases in marijuana potency are of concern since they increase the likelihood of acute toxicity, including mental impairment," said Dr. Nora Volkow

Yeah...these are significant findings from the old 3% days (60s/70s).

rambleonthruthefog
06-12-2008, 10:48 AM
shocker. a white house drug policy in which we demonize pot without actual studies or facts. "were afraid it will lead to addiction to herion and cocaine." give me a break, neither of these drugs need pot to aid in the process. cigerettes are more dangerous than pot. i'm glad texas changed some of its pot policys.

Consistent1
06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
shocker. a white house drug policy in which we demonize pot without actual studies or facts. "were afraid it will lead to addiction to herion and cocaine." give me a break, neither of these drugs need pot to aid in the process. cigerettes are more dangerous than pot. i'm glad texas changed some of its pot policys.

Yeah, it should be legal. I would still never buy it myself, but why should people have to risk their jobs by smoking?

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
The marijuana witch hunt continues.

chasedude
06-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Yes policies need to change. Hemp would provide a better alternative for fuel than corn, a better fiber than polyester or cotton and has higher resistances to weeds and pests thus using less toxic chemicals to the environment.

Things will never change as long as the government sees it's only purpose is to get "high".

beach tribe
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm confused. Higher potency --> less smoke inhaled --> less chance of health issues, right? Wouldn't this be a good thing?

You are correct DaFace.

I don't smoke pot much, but enough to realize that "Crippy", or "kind buds", and "kush" have certainly pushed the "shwag" right out of business here in south FL.

Last longer, better buzz, and less of it is smoked.

Fruit Ninja
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM

The US government doesnt want you to see any of that. Weed is something they can NEVER tax or sell, so they dont give a shit about it.

Consistent1
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Yes policies need to change. Hemp would provide a better alternative for fuel than corn, a better fiber than polyester or cotton and has higher resistances to weeds and pests thus using less toxic chemicals to the environment.

Things will never change as long as the government sees it's only purpose is to get "high".

Dude, don't take this wrong. My friends used to always say that we could make better clothes and all that shit. lmao, people just want to smoke it, and that is alright.

beach tribe
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Have they ever even considered, that maybe these kids were smoking because they were depressed.

I remember the kids who were doing the drugs in HS. I was one of them, and while I do not blame my situation for my actions, it was pretty apparent that almost all of us came from ****ed up families, and house holds.

Duck Dog
06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Whoever decided pot was worse than alcohol is an idiot. Let me rephrase that. Whoever still thinks pot is as harmful as alcohol, or as harmful as the bogus war on drugs tells us it is, is an idiot.

Duck Dog
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh and BTW, this 'new' government bullshit study is way late. High times reported that THC was hitting the 10% mark about 5-6 years ago.

Consistent1
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Have they ever even considered, that maybe these kids were smoking because they were depressed.

I remember the kids who were doing the drugs in HS. I was one of them, and while I do not blame my situation for my actions, it was pretty apparent that almost all of us came from ****ed up families, and house holds.

Yeah, that is why I drinking a Sparks right now. My wife is 110% pissed off at me, but what does it matter? My family sucks, lets my wife off easy. Her family is a pain in my freaging ass. I guess it all comes around my brother.

SLAG
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I hate Big Pot..

beach tribe
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that is why I drinking a Sparks right now. My wife is 110% pissed off at me, but what does it matter? My family sucks, lets my wife off easy. Her family is a pain in my freaging ass. I guess it all comes around my brother.

I dont know whether to laugh at, or feel sorry for you.

chasedude
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Dude, don't take this wrong. My friends used to always say that we could make better clothes and all that shit. lmao, people just want to smoke it, and that is alright.

Nothing bad taken. You are right though, there are those out there that say that shit just so they can smoke. I used to smoke it myself, rarely anymore. It's just something I grew out of I guess.

Let this not diminish the fact that there are many other useful things for the plant and it's too bad our gov't can't open their eyes to it because it's the "Devil Weed".

R&GHomer
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Damn, why did you have to up and make me think of my x wife. Compared to my x, my fiance is greatest woman on this planet. We never fight, we have had a few arguments, but then it's over.

POND_OF_RED
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
NSFW Language.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/93jQI_6G5Cw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/93jQI_6G5Cw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

irishjayhawk
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't and won't use but I see no reason why it's illegal.

As Skip aptly put: the witch hunt continues.

Spicy McHaggis
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
You know if Marijuana becomes legal I really want a marketing department to do a advertising campaign in the vein of that "Coors Light" commercial.

Like, all these people are bored in a meeting but wait! The Grateful Dead start playing and here comes the Marijuana Train!!!! And then everyone is sitting around playing Xbox and eating Nacho Cheese Doritos.

DaFace
06-12-2008, 11:51 AM
You know if Marijuana becomes legal I really want a marketing department to do a advertising campaign in the vein of that "Coors Light" commercial.

Like, all these people are bored in a meeting but wait! The Grateful Dead start playing and here comes the Marijuana Train!!!! And then everyone is sitting around playing Xbox and eating Nacho Cheese Doritos.

ROFL

StcChief
06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh and BTW, this 'new' government bullshit study is way late. High times reported that THC was hitting the 10% mark about 5-6 years ago. that's our gobment... a day late, a dollar short,

why it should be shrunk dramtically

Chief Chief
06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Haha. I guess that I am one of the few in the world that does not like pot. Doesn't work for me. Good post though.

Nice try at becoming selected as a researcher at the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project.

Friendo
06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
they must've forgotten this one in the sample comparison:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=redbud

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Friggen white house. I would ask how many more stupid things can happen before GW leaves office but I am afraid to.

POND_OF_RED
06-12-2008, 12:29 PM
they must've forgotten this one in the sample comparison:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=redbud

Red hairs are common nowadays. Mix it with some purple and orange with 10 different kinds of green and that's what you got today.

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Friggen white house. I would ask how many more stupid things can happen before GW leaves office but I am afraid to.

Me too. If you want to know how it really is, read High Times.

Friendo
06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Red hairs are common nowadays. Mix it with some purple and orange with 10 different kinds of green and that's what you got today.

well if that type of potency is commonplace these daze, there's plenty of folks blowing the tops of their heads off with regularity.

POND_OF_RED
06-12-2008, 12:34 PM

This makes no sense to me considering medicinal marijuana is prescribed to people with serious depression. Maybe if we legalized it these kids could receive the marijuana strain best suited for them.

StcChief
06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
all high grade now, back in the day "Maui Wowie"/Thai-stick was only real high content.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I like the highest potency in 30 years part. Yea OK, what did you back 30 years ago? LMAO This administration is like the keystone cops.

rambleonthruthefog
06-12-2008, 03:20 PM

not to mention 4 times the yield on the same amount of land

rambleonthruthefog
06-12-2008, 03:23 PM

you can grow hemp plants with 0, i repeat 0 THC content. its illegal why? because it is associated with weed. i

Skip Towne
06-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Why did it take a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but not for pot?

chasedude
06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Why did it take a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but not for pot?

I've been reading up on how the ban for marijuana got started. It started in the southern states and moved up.

Arizona banned it because the mexican's brought it with them across the border when they did migratory work. At this time the great depression was going on and jobs were scarce. So one way to make sure the Americans got the jobs and the Mexicans didn't, make pot illegal. They would bust them and send them back to Mexico.

Louisiana did it with the blacks. New Orleans jazz players were mostly black and they enjoyed toking up. In comes the white supremacists to suppress the black man and throw him in jail for pot use.

chasedude
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
not to mention 4 times the yield on the same amount of land

.... and you don't have to rotate crops. You can plant it on the same acreage year after year.

vailpass
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Yep. Cover it with white crystals and you have yourself one of the greatest keef producing buds of all time: White Widow.

Spott
06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't do it and have always been satisfied enough with beer, but I really don't understand why the government doesn't just legalize it. Drug companies are already making drugs that are way worse for you and much more addictive than weed is. There are so many people that are dependent on anti-anxiety medicines, pain killers, anti-depressants, etc., yet the government is more concerned with someone getting high on something they can grow in their back yard.

sedated
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
after reading that propoganda garbage, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

sedated
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I really don't understand why the government doesn't just legalize it.

- it would be admitting they were wrong, which is something the gubment would never do.

- the drug companies would stop lining their pockets. pill-poppers make the drug companies, and therefore the gubment, way more $$ than pot taxation.

Brock
06-12-2008, 04:57 PM
something they can grow in their back yard.

This is probably the government's fundamental problem with it.

Ari Chi3fs
06-12-2008, 05:37 PM

is that why you are called Sea of Red? heh.

Ari Chi3fs
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I think the real problem with marijuana... is that when your hookup decides not to sell it anymore! That is my only concern with it. heh.

CoMoChief
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
is that why you are called Sea of Red? heh.

Sea of Red sold me some Brown Bomber.

I smoked it and got so high I shit my pants.

the Talking Can
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
we're still wasting money trying to prove that weed is bad?

lordy....

the Talking Can
06-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Whoever decided pot was worse than alcohol is an idiot. Let me rephrase that. Whoever still thinks pot is as harmful as alcohol, or as harmful as the bogus war on drugs tells us it is, is an idiot.

what he said

Luke
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Weed, or lack of aforemention product has created some of the most entertaining songs to perform. I would have to turn in my hippie card if I didn't post something on this thread!:D

EV’RY YEAR ALONG ABOUT THIS TIME IT ALL GOES DRY
THERE’S NOTHING ROUND FOR LOVE OR MONEY
THAT’LL GET YOU HIGH
HENRY GOT PISSED OFF AND SAID HE’D RUN TO MEXICO
TO SEE IF HE COULD COME BACK HOLDIN’
TWENTY KEYS OF GOLD

NOW THE ROAD TO ACAPULCO IS VERY HARD INDEED
AND IT ISN’T ANY BETTER IF YOU HAVEN’T ANY WEED
HENRY’S DRIVING HARD AND STRAIGHT
ON TWISTY MOUNTAIN ROADS
THERE’S FIFTY PEOPLE WAITING BACK
AT HOME FOR HENRY’S LOAD