PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Tonight on Coast-to-Coast AM: William Shatner

keg in kc
06-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Should be extremely entertaining, if not particularly enlightening. Got to give it up to him: he has some personality.

Easy 6
06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Shatner has more lives than a Cloverleaf Cat, he's managed to stay very relevant with his unique, inimitable style.

Talk about a pop-culture favorite.

Friendo
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
his career resurrection reminds me a lot of George Foreman's--both found their groove when they took on a self-deprecating humor--gotta like that about someone.

Easy 6
06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
his career resurrection reminds me a lot of George Foreman's--both found their groove when they took on a self-deprecating humor--gotta like that about someone.

It seems like theres always a second wind for old celebs, but its usually based mostly on nostalgia...Shatner though, he's one of the most imitated guys ever & yet he still seems fresh...he continues to redefine his shtick.

I dont actually watch it, but from all i hear & what little i've watched, 'Denny Crane' seems to be a sort of New Age 'JR. Ewing'...its easy to love Bill.

Guru
06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
It seems like theres always a second wind for old celebs, but its usually based mostly on nostalgia...Shatner though, he's one of the most imitated guys ever & yet he still seems fresh...he continues to redefine his shtick.

I dont actually watch it, but from all i hear & what little i've watched, 'Denny Crane' seems to be a sort of New Age 'JR. Ewing'...its easy to love Bill.

He is the only reason I started watching Boston Legal. My wife loved it and I kept ignoring it. Finally gave it a chance and he just cracked me up every time.

Rausch
06-13-2008, 02:07 AM
The Shat hardcore pimped his two books and did his best to come off as a student of the game. That's cool. He works for a living and at his age I'm sure he'd like some respect given the legions of tards hanging on his every word.

But I love the goofy cheeseball for $#it like the bumper music they played. I will pay my last few unemployed $$$ for "Has Been."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/WilliamShatner-HasBeen.jpg

In short, Shatner has become to music what Bruce Campbell is to cult classic film. The best part is that now they both have albums to validate a lazy-sunday-sipping-suds-while-smoking-brisket-battle-to-the-uber-cheese-death-match of audio laughs. If only I could afford the smoker...

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 02:17 AM
He's no Jesus Christ, but it was a nice interview.

I still find it hard to believe that he's actually 77 years old and wasn't put into suspended animation between Star Trek and the 80s.

keg in kc
06-13-2008, 02:22 AM
He's no Jesus ChristThat had to be one of the craziest interviews ever.

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2008, 02:23 AM
He's no Jesus Christ, but it was a nice interview.

I still find it hard to believe that he's actually 77 years old and wasn't put into suspended animation between Star Trek and the 80s.

Having watched him sing Karaoke at a bar called "Residuals" in Studio City during the 90's (sometimes, weekly) along with seeing him at Jerry's Famous Deli for breakfast on several occasions in the past few years, the man is definitely 77 years old.

But oh man, those 77 years must have been a blast!

Shatner is awesome.

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 02:25 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLpLU7D7MWk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLpLU7D7MWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That had to be one of the craziest interviews ever.You know, I just realized the other day that I'd really love it if Ian became the full-time host.

Rausch
06-13-2008, 02:26 AM
That had to be one of the craziest interviews ever.

Indeed.

I tuned in for about 30 minutes expecting some nutcase or tard and clearly it was turned into a long discussion on "Christianity should be x, but it's currently y."

Yeah. Sounds boring. But whatever radio clown played teh Jebus was excellent. Quick to retort and dead on. I was hooked and listened to all but the last hour.

Guru
06-13-2008, 02:33 AM
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLpLU7D7MWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="344" width="425"></object>

You know, I just realized the other day that I'd really love it if Ian became the full-time host.

OK, that was funny.

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Indeed.

I tuned in for about 30 minutes expecting some nutcase or tard and clearly it was turned into a long discussion on "Christianity should be x, but it's currently y."

Yeah. Sounds boring. But whatever radio clown played teh Jebus was excellent. Quick to retort and dead on. I was hooked and listened to all but the last hour.He was engaging and totally unflappable. When Ian was pimping the appearance of Jesus Christ, I groaned and thought, "Well, I'll listen to the first segment and find something entertaining once it hits the break."

Listened until 4 AM.

Rausch
06-13-2008, 02:39 AM
He was engaging and totally unflappable. When Ian was pimping the appearance of Jesus Christ, I groaned and thought, "Well, I'll listen to the first segment and find something entertaining once it hits the break."

Listened until 4 AM.

I would have stayed for 4 but hit 16-18 first...

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Someone's now proffering the hypothesis that the Roswell aliens were actually Japanese POWs who were being used in high-altitude testing.

Rausch
06-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Someone's now proffering the hypothesis that the Roswell aliens were actually Japanese POWs who were being used in high-altitude testing.

keg in kc
06-13-2008, 03:48 AM
You know, I just realized the other day that I'd really love it if Ian became the full-time host.I've always liked Ian more than George, although George has grown on me over time.

Rausch
06-13-2008, 04:00 AM
I've always liked Ian more than George, although George has grown on me over time.

Ian has a nice sense of humor and tries to make the show more than it is. I think he's got some Phil Hendrie in him.

George is the guy with the X-Files poster and the gentle heart. Sometimes he lets callers sulk and boo-hoo him into more time than they should have. He's a softie where Ian's a cynic with with hope.

I like the contrast but George is still the less exciting yet more polished interviewer...

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Here's a chat log that, to me, sums up C2C perfectly (from this legendary episode (http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2007/01/05.html)):

[03:42] DEAD CAT SOULS
[03:42] oh my god
[03:42] She's smuggling dead cat souls!
[03:42] INTO HEAVEN!
[03:42] Am I listening to this guest
[03:42] Like, is this real
[03:42] ooookay
[03:42] how many dead cats do you have in you?
[03:42] hahah
[03:42] The topic is furries by the way, just incase anyone has forgotten
[03:42] i never thought I would hear that on the radio
[03:43] this is fantastic
[03:44] this poor guy
[03:44] you can sense the distaste growing for these people in his voice
[03:44] it's hilarious
[03:44] hehehe
[03:44] "jesus christ another furry!"