PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Any critiques of The Happening?

bishop_74
06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Haven't been real impressed with his last few movies, but the previews (always) make them look good. I'm not they type to over analyze movies, but I don't want to spend $10 to sleep during a hunk of $hit either. Let em know your thoughts.

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Heh. Heh heh. Heh. Heh.

Here's a highlight from one review (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1):

A year or so ago, the script for "The Happening" (then titled "The Green Effect") came across my desk and, while it inspired a mixed reaction, I really thought it was step up from both "The Village" and "Lady in the Water" and more in-tone with "Signs". A straight-forward disaster epic on a human scale, "The Happening" seemed to be, from the script, exactly what Shyamalan needed to win back an audience and redeem himself. And on the positive side, I thought he couldn't get much worse.

I was wrong.

"The Happening" is a terrible, terrible movie. I mean, it's bad on an epic scale. It's so bad that I can't possibly tell you how bad it is without understating the point or making it sound like I'm picking on the film. But let me stress: this is not pent-up Shyamalan aggression or a desire to see him fail. This is bad in a jaw-dropping "they can't really be serious, can they?" kind of way. The closest comparison I can draw is to Neil LaBute's "Wicker Man" and, like that film, the only consolation I can offer potential theater-goers is that you might want to see it just to be in on the ground floor when the film gets its ass handed back to it.

keg in kc
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Every review I've seen on it just buries it. It's running at 22% on rottentomatoes.com (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007985-happening/).

bishop_74
06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Oh well...

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Holy shit, 21% now. That's even worse than I expected.

I really wish he would just stick to filming other people's scripts from here on out (and frankly, if this bombs, he may have no other choice). He's a great director when his scripts aren't absolutely retarded, and it seems that his own well was completely tapped out about halfway through Signs.

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh my God, Mark Wahlberg's character has a mood ring (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?JSESSIONID=2YnCLTzhP5DvnnDjzvQ5zN7fW9tCBlvSJZpHYl0B60T4pQvTdBTY!-314364425&&rid=11241) that apparently ends up portending doom.

keg in kc
06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Holy shit, 21% now. That's even worse than I expected.

I really wish he would just stick to filming other people's scripts from here on out (and frankly, if this bombs, he may have no other choice). He's a great director when his scripts aren't absolutely retarded, and it seems that his own well was completely tapped out about halfway through Signs.I think his next movie's Avatar: The Last Airbender. His own script, I believe. That should be...interesting. Not that I have any intention of seeing it.

Adept Havelock
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
After "Lady in the Water" I thought it couldn't get any worse.

Then I read about this stinker. I'll give it a miss.

Baby Lee
06-14-2008, 06:32 AM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/768/happeningpenisdm5.jpg

KcMizzou
06-14-2008, 08:51 AM
It's getting worse reviews than Drillbit Taylor.

Make of that what you will...

Frazod
06-14-2008, 12:05 PM
It's been a steady downhill slide for this guy since Sixth Sense. Haven't watched any M. Night's stuff since the odious Signs (my epic contempt for that piece of crap is well documented here, and I won't relive it) but I've heard nothing good.

How can he do so well initially and then suck for years afterward?

:shake:

Brock
06-14-2008, 01:28 PM
It's been a steady downhill slide for this guy since Sixth Sense. Haven't watched any M. Night's stuff since the odious Signs (my epic contempt for that piece of crap is well documented here, and I won't relive it) but I've heard nothing good.

A better question is who keeps giving him money to make movies with?

Deberg_1990
06-14-2008, 01:39 PM

His movies always "Open" except for Lady in the Water which was an outright flop.

Hes really great at setting up a spooky premise. Unfortunately, hes unable to follow through on his ideas.

Heck, i just checked. Looks like this thing is going to make 30 mil for the weekend. Not bad for a flick getting roasted in the reviews.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 02:32 PM
That movie looks terrible.

Frazod
06-14-2008, 03:55 PM

An even better question is how does he continue to get major stars to appear in them?

Sully
06-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh my God, Mark Wahlberg's character has a mood ring (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?JSESSIONID=2YnCLTzhP5DvnnDjzvQ5zN7fW9tCBlvSJZpHYl0B60T4pQvTdBTY!-314364425&&rid=11241) that apparently ends up portending doom.

That'snot really what happens with the mood ring... not at all.

Anyhow, I posted in a couple of places that I saw this yesterday. While I would say that it isn't a great movie, it isn't nearly as bad as it is being made out to be.

I would say that it's a renter, though.

The parts of the movie where the "happenings" are shown, are absolutely turn-your-head-creepy. I spent most of the movie really tensed up. The people walking off the building, the group going to Princeton to find JL's wife, the lawnmower guy, the old lady... it was a great setup. However, the follow through is just plain weak. There is no real resolution. A lame explanation is simply given, and the movie ends. I honestly don't think this movie is that far away from being a decent movie, I think he just couldn't come up with a good ending.

Add to that the acting was absolutely horrible.
I don't think Wahlberg has ever been a great actor, he just tends to be in decent movies. But Deschanel is a decent actress. Both of them were absolutely horrible... HORRIBLE. So that was a distraction.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
it was a great setup. However, the follow through is just plain weak. There is no real resolution. A lame explanation is simply given, and the movie ends.

IMO, this is M. Nights greatest weakness. He always comes up with these great setups, but then the films end up falling flat after about the first hour.

He cant close the deal.

Ultra Peanut
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
It's been a steady downhill slide for this guy since Sixth Sense.His Rottentomatoes chart is a sight to behold:

http://i26.tinypic.com/34ga70g.png

The parts of the movie where the "happenings" are shown, are absolutely turn-your-head-creepy. I spent most of the movie really tensed up. The people walking off the building, the group going to Princeton to find JL's wife, the lawnmower guy, the old lady... it was a great setup. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:13 AM

Well, he was unceremoniously dumped from his former studio. They just said "See Ya". It was a bad move politically, but it was (unfortunately), the right move. Heads rolled after that.

He wrote his latest movie "The Happening" back in 2006 and shopped it all over town. NO one wanted any part of it. It was too close to "Day of the Triffads" (which is actually a cool idea but difficult for audiences to buy). So, he made changes to the script (after meeting with all of the studios for a week and making changes) and Fox bought the idea.

As for Wahlberg, I don't know HOW he's cast in anything. After his pathetic turn in "Planet of the Apes" in 2001, I'm not sure how that guy even gets hired.

Well, I digress: Lack of marquee actors in this generation. That's how he gets hired. Hayden Christensen, anyone? :ZZZ:

It's been a topic of my conversations with many "big" name directors and the reason why guys like Nicolas Cage continually get hired (and continually get hair plugs). For the record, I always disagree with their logic.

Which shouldn't be a shock to any Planeteer :p

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:15 AM

You didn't like "Signs"?

First I've heard of it.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Count Zarth
06-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Day of the triffids rules.

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_d/day_triffids.jpg

Weren't they killed by water, if memory serves?

KcMizzou
06-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, he was unceremoniously dumped from his former studio. They just said "See Ya". It was a bad move politically, but it was (unfortunately), the right move. Heads rolled after that.

He wrote his latest movie "The Happening" back in 2006 and shopped it all over town. NO one wanted any part of it. It was too close to "Day of the Triffads" (which is actually a cool idea but difficult for audiences to buy). So, he made changes to the script (after meeting with all of the studios for a week and making changes) and Fox bought the idea.

As for Wahlberg, I don't know HOW he's cast in anything. After his pathetic turn in "Planet of the Apes" in 2001, I'm not sure how that guy even gets hired.

Well, I digress: Lack of marquee actors in this generation. That's how he gets hired. Hayden Christensen, anyone? :ZZZ:

It's been a topic of my conversations with many "big" name directors and the reason why guys like Nicolas Cage continually get hired (and continually get hair plugs). For the record, I always disagree with their logic.

Which shouldn't be a shock to any Planeteer :pI thought Wahlberg kicked ass in "The Departed". :shrug:

He's a good actor, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Day of the triffids rules.

Weren't they killed by water, if memory serves?

I honestly couldn't tell you because I never saw it.

I haven't seen "The Happening" but I know he was going for a Hitchcock-type movie, specifically, "The Birds".

Tough sell.

KcMizzou
06-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Heath Ledger was a big loss. That guy had potential.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:39 AM
I thought Wahlberg kicked ass in "The Departed". :shrug:

He's a good actor, IMO.

I've had "The Departed" in my DVD collection for who knows how long and I still haven't watched it.

I guess I should that before passing judgment.

But "Four Brothers"? "The Italian Job"? "Invincible"?

Did you really "buy" him in those roles?

I didn't. I thought that "Invincible" was terribly miscast. His "Vince" as sleepy and had no passion.

KcMizzou
06-15-2008, 01:40 AM
I've had "The Departed" in my DVD collection for who knows how long and I still haven't watched it.
Well, you should. Wahlberg aside, it's a really good movie.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Heath Ledger was a big loss. That guy had potential.

Yes.

The thread on Chiefsplanet OTOH should be buried forever.

"Talk about" a bunch of judgmental bastards. Before even knowing any facts.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Well, you should. Wahlberg aside, it's a really good movie.

Okay, I'll take your advice and plop it in now.

Lord knows I'll be up until 6am with my newborn anyway :)

Edit: Just got it out. I've had this thing since January 2007, just after the Oscar nominees were made public.

Man, am I lame or what?

KcMizzou
06-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Yes.

The thread on Chiefsplanet OTOH should be buried forever.

"Talk about" a bunch of judgmental bastards. Before even knowing any facts.Agreed.

That's just typical internet business, though.

Personally, I liked the guy. A "fan", I guess. Wish he'd stayed around longer.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Agreed.

That's just typical internet business, though.

Personally, I liked the guy. Wish he'd stayed around longer.

I know but to me, that was an extremely harsh thread and IMO, that's saying something for the 'Planet.

Prescription drugs. The beginning and the end.

Such a drag.

KcMizzou
06-15-2008, 01:54 AM
I know but to me, that was an extremely harsh thread and IMO, that's saying something for the 'Planet.Yeah... I agree.

I stayed out of that thread for a reason.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Yeah... I agree.

I stayed out of that thread for a reason.

Gotta bow out for a while, Dude. Have a great night! I'm taking your advice:

Boston

Some years ago

Valiant
06-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Movie was down right horrible...

mcan
06-15-2008, 06:18 AM

Which shouldn't be a shock to any Planeteer :p

Wahlberg is actually pretty good, if cast and directed correctly. I Heart Huckabees is perfect example. You can't blame an actor for the movie being crap (Planet of the Apes). I mean, Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter were both in that movie.

And there's still plenty of good actors out there, you just can't let them anywhere near a movie with a ton of money in it. Check out Lars and The Real Girl. Tell me that's not a steller performance, and who'd have thought that Ryan Gosseling was capable of that. I think a lot of these actors could be pretty damned good if they weren't forced to be in crappy films.

Baby Lee
06-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Comments on The AV Club has it - Shyamalan is the Weezer of Cinema.
Earliest work the best, you want his stuff to be good so much that the pending critique gets overwrought, there's always plenty to critique yet there remains that nugget of trademark flair that you either love or loathe.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Spoiler filled review/rant. This may be the worst review ev-ah.

The Haps (http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=75893f9a-3391-4ab5-88c8-cf7e74bcd835)

Baby Lee
06-15-2008, 08:11 AM
God I love The AV Club

RE: But Nathan!
by some dude
I've had dessert with hundreds of women and it always meant something.

5:35 PM Thurs June 12, 2008

by gwyned

Would you have dessert...with a guy?

5:46 PM Thurs June 12, 2008

by knights of sex with black people

Huh, don't me telling me about eating dessert! I'm the dessert-eatin' masta! Got my technique down and everything. Don't be spillin' or nothin'!

6:26 PM Thurs June 12, 2008

by Guido

Eatin' dessert and eatin' an entree ain't in the same
ballpark. They ain't even in the same game.

8:23 PM Thurs June 12, 2008

Sully
06-15-2008, 08:20 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Damn. That is some creepy shit.
I just went to the Wiki page for that movie, where it describes the entire movie, and I'm absolutely convinced M Night should've just done an American adaptation of that. He would've been able to use his creepy setup, and add to an already creepy script with a better looking plot.

Ultra Peanut
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Damn. That is some creepy shit.
I just went to the Wiki page for that movie, where it describes the entire movie, and I'm absolutely convinced M Night should've just done an American adaptation of that. He would've been able to use his creepy setup, and add to an already creepy script with a better looking plot.Yeah. The plot is ****ing insane, but it still sounds better than People are killing themselves, people are killing themselves, IT'S THE WIND RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN, oh by the way it was plants, KEEP RUNNING, end.

By the way, was the news footage in The Happening as shitty as others have said it was? Because Signs would have honestly been a much better movie if it had been less about faith and more about "goddamn, alternate reality news footage of epic events is bizarre and awesome." (Vamanos, children.)

Adept Havelock
06-15-2008, 09:40 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRSR1EY2jaY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Damn.

I suppose this means no sequel to Princess Robot Bubble Gum and the Horny Radioactive Plant.

Ultra Peanut
06-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Damn.

I suppose this means no sequel to Princess Robot Bubble Gum and the Horny Radioactive Plant.There was actually an anime, adapted from a manga, that followed up on PRBGatHRP. It's called Okay! Green Magical Girl of Metal Army, and it's gotten some pretty good press. I'd suggest checking it out.

Adept Havelock
06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
There was actually an anime, adapted from a manga, that followed up on PRBGatHRP. It's called Okay! Green Magical Girl of Metal Army, and it's gotten some pretty good press. I'd suggest checking it out.

Interesting. Sounds like the same basic plot as the Gary Coleman made for TV movie On the Right Track.

The only difference I see is that "Okay!" lives in the left testicle of an obsolete giant battle robot in a military depot, instead of a set of lockers in Grand Central station.

Bowser
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM

First thought to come to mind - Hale Bopp.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Wahlberg is actually pretty good, if cast and directed correctly. I Heart Huckabees is perfect example. You can't blame an actor for the movie being crap (Planet of the Apes). I mean, Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter were both in that movie.

And there's still plenty of good actors out there, you just can't let them anywhere near a movie with a ton of money in it. Check out Lars and The Real Girl. Tell me that's not a steller performance, and who'd have thought that Ryan Gosseling was capable of that. I think a lot of these actors could be pretty damned good if they weren't forced to be in crappy films.

I've only seen half of the movie at this point and Wahlberg is the most unbelievable actor on set. His brother would have been a better choice and would certainly have been more believable.

Additionally, Gary Oldman was NOT in POTA. Furthermore, no one is forced to take any role. It's up to the actors and the casting agents as to who is cast in a particular movie. This isn't the 30's studio system.

Ryan Goseling had been a acting professionally for more than a decade when he was cast in "Lars and the Real Girl". It's not like he appeared out of thin air.

Baby Lee
06-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Ryan Goseling had been a acting professionally for more than a decade when he was cast in "Lars and the Real Girl". It's not like he appeared out of thin air.
Didn't he get an Oscar Nom for Half Nelson, I know people went apeshit for his performance.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2008, 05:16 PM

Like i mentioned before. His movies still "Open". Happening made 30 mil this weekend. Not bad for a flick universally trashed.

The Village opened huge as well.

Its almost like his flicks are huge marketing gimmicks more than anything else. Once people actually go see them on opening weekend and the bad word gets out, then the bottom drops out. At least its been that way his last few flicks.

Baby Lee
06-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Shyamalan is the Weezer of Cinema.
Earliest work the best, you want his stuff to be good so much that the pending critique gets overwrought, there's always plenty to critique yet there remains that nugget of trademark flair that you either love or loathe.

Speaking of which, I am overcome with joy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9uPtN3PxS8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9uPtN3PxS8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mcan
06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I've only seen half of the movie at this point and Wahlberg is the most unbelievable actor on set. His brother would have been a better choice and would certainly have been more believable.

Additionally, Gary Oldman was NOT in POTA. Furthermore, no one is forced to take any role. It's up to the actors and the casting agents as to who is cast in a particular movie. This isn't the 30's studio system.

Yowzas, you were right about Gary Oldman. I stand corrected. It's been since opening weekend that I've seen that movie. For the record, I didn't like POTA at all. I just thought I'd stick up for Mark. I figured that Huckabees and Departed would pretty much legitamize the guy. But he does have some bad movies under his belt.

Here's my flixter review for "The Happening," which I saw on Friday.

This movie is about as bad as movies can get. There isn't a single frame in it that is worthy of even one star. The half a star is given for spelling all the actors' names right in the credits.
Plot = CRAP
Script = CRAP
Acting = CRAP
Directing = CRAP

Seriously, it's like they were all TRYING to make it bad on purpose.

Midnight_Vulture
06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
the happening was bad. it wasnt as bad as I thought but it was bad.

M.Night needs a screenwriter badly cause he is still a talented director. He showed that with 6th Sense and The Village.

Sure-Oz
06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Do not go see this, please...my gf and i just got back, people litterly laughed out loud as it ended, what a pile of shit. the first 20 min was ok...

The only good thing to come out of it is that we were invited to a free private screening of "Tropic Thunder" this thursday night by some research group that is showing a special screening of it at AMC, movie comes out aug 15th, so that is cool atleast

Deberg_1990
06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
The only good thing to come out of it is that we were invited to a free private screening of "Tropic Thunder" this thursday night by some research group that is showing a special screening of it at AMC, movie comes out aug 15th, so that is cool atleast

Cool, hey report back after you watch it. IM dying to see that. The regular trailer made it looks just ok, but the redband trailer with the bad language included made it look hilarious.

Sure-Oz
06-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Cool, hey report back after you watch it. IM dying to see that. The regular trailer made it looks just ok, but the redband trailer with the bad language included made it look hilarious.

I hope i can go see it, and i will report for sure... i work that evening but will try to get off, gf will go without me if need be....it looks kinda funny and can't beat free.

Ultra Peanut
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
The only good thing to come out of it is that we were invited to a free private screening of "Tropic Thunder" this thursday night by some research group that is showing a special screening of it at AMC, movie comes out aug 15th, so that is cool atleastI haaaaaaate you.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
I haaaaaaate you.

Why, did you want to see Tropic Thunder? I had a hefty price to pay though seeing The Crappening.;)

eazyb81
06-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Heard from some buddies at work that this was literally one of the worst movies they've ever seen.

luv
06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Saw it. Didn't really like it.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I like the ending credits....

Joey=M Night

That may have been the only spec of anything worth a damn in the movie haha

the Talking Can
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
it sucks fat cock

FAX
06-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Damn, this is depressing.

FAX

Deberg_1990
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Damn, i dont think ive ever seen a movie so widely trashed as this one. Except maybe the last M. Night flick "Lady in the Water". ROFL

I almost want to see it just to see how bad it is.

FAX
06-23-2008, 06:38 PM
That's kind of how I feel, Mr. Deberg_1990. Now that I have absolutely zero expectations, I might enjoy it more.

FAX

Sure-Oz
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
That's kind of how I feel, Mr. Deberg_1990. Now that I have absolutely zero expectations, I might enjoy it more.

FAX

This movie almost made me pull a frankie or whoever it was that bitched about how crappy the movie was cause it was so bad...LMAO

Seriously though i laughed outloud and said what the ****?? at the end....

The biggest pile of shit ever....unbelievable
"the nothing" is the best for it...the acting was worst than the plot

PunkinDrublic
06-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I was going to see this movie unti I found out it wasn't a remake of Whats Happening.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I was going to see this movie unti I found out it wasn't a remake of Whats Happening.

I assume Will Smith's karate kid re-make can't touch the crappening

PunkinDrublic
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I assume Will Smith's karate kid re-make can't touch the crappening

I absolutely refuse to pay good money to see any remakes aside from Whats Happening. To me it's a bunch of lazy ass writers trying to make the quick buck. Besides I seriously doubt Will Smith knows what it's like to be terrorized by a local dojo.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I absolutely refuse to pay good money to see any remakes. To me it's a bunch of lazy ass writers trying to make the quick buck. Besides I seriously doubt Will Smith knows what it's like to be terrorized by a local dojo.

Definetly should have Ralph Macchio come back just like Stallone hasLMAO

PunkinDrublic
06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Definetly should have Ralph Macchio come back just like Stallone hasLMAO

Or the old Cobra Kais as a bunch of burnouts who still ride around on dirtbikes and beat people up like in that sweep the leg johnny video.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Or the old Cobra Kais as a bunch of burnouts who still ride around on dirtbikes and beat people up like in that sweep the leg johnny video.

You know Johnny would be back to sweep the leg, that guy is great

Easy 6
06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Shyamalan hasnt made a good movie since Unbreakable...Signs, the Village, Lady in the Water & now this junk...even the custom made to tittilate trailer doesnt look even remotely interesting.

The guy is out of ideas, but i'll always love 6th Sense & Unbreakable.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Shyamalan hasnt made a good movie since Unbreakable...Signs, the Village, Lady in the Water & now this junk...even the custom made to tittilate trailer doesnt look even remotely interesting.

The guy is out of ideas, but i'll always love 6th Sense & Unbreakable.

Signs and The Village were atleast watchable....Lady in the Water and The Crappening definetly have sucked super baows

KcMizzou
06-25-2008, 11:27 PM

The guy is out of ideas, but i'll always love 6th Sense & Unbreakable.I don't run into many people who liked Unbreakable. I thought it was fantastic.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't run into many people who liked Unbreakable. I thought it was fantastic.

That's because most people don't "get it".

To me, it's one of the coolest comic book/superhero movies ever.

Easy 6
06-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Signs and The Village were atleast watchable....Lady in the Water and The Crappening definetly have sucked super baows

I enjoyed Signs right up to the ending...those aliens couldnt have been ANY cheesier looking IMO, its like they dug up the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' costume...they were lurching around, acting all dumb. I was expecting a more serious idea of what aliens could & would do down here...who woulda guessed that a good ol baseball bat could handle the invasion.

The Village on the other hand, i just found the entire premise totally preposterous...no way that place goes undetected in the modern world.

Glad you felt like you got your $$$'s worth though :D.

little jacob
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I also liked Unbreakable.

however, The Crappening owes me $10

Sure-Oz
06-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed Signs right up to the ending...those aliens couldnt have been ANY cheesier looking IMO, its like they dug up the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' costume...they were lurching around, acting all dumb. I was expecting a more serious idea of what aliens could & would do down here...who woulda guessed that a good ol baseball bat could handle the invasion.

The Village on the other hand, i just found the entire premise totally preposterous...no way that place goes undetected in the modern world.

Glad you felt like you got your $$$'s worth though :D.

Well i don't think i got my moneys worth on those flicks, but they were OK, compared to his latest shit. As for the aliens, well they would've died anyway cause of the water and shit and the moisture in the atmosphere as well.

I heard a rumor way back that the ending to the village would involve opening that box and seeing a pair of blue jeans.ROFL Suprised M night didn't go with that....i was disapointed those monster things weren;t real. hehe I do agree on the alien, i litterly laughed out loud when i saw it...

Easy 6
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Well i don't think i got my moneys worth on those flicks, but they were OK, compared to his latest shit. As for the aliens, well they would've died anyway cause of the water and shit and the moisture in the atmosphere as well.

I heard a rumor way back that the ending to the village would involve opening that box and seeing a pair of blue jeans.ROFL Suprised M night didn't go with that....i was disapointed those monster things weren;t real. hehe I do agree on the alien, i litterly laughed out loud when i saw it...

Heh, yeah the Village monsters were from Scooby-Doo or something...some old man dressed up trying to keep people from finding the gold mine.

Totally agree about the 'aliens' to, i was SO disappointed...i really expected better from M. Knight.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Heh, yeah the Village monsters were from Scooby-Doo or something...some old man dressed up trying to keep people from finding the gold mine.

Totally agree about the 'aliens' to, i was SO disappointed...i really expected better from M. Knight.

The dudes lost a few bolts in the head for sure...i dont even know how those actors even got in on the last 2 films, wahberg, the guy from lady in the water is a fine actor as well, oh wait $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

KcMizzou
06-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Signs though... ugh.

Super intelligent alien species invades earth... they're capable of intergalactic space travel, yet too dumb to know it's a bad idea to invade a planet 70% covered by a substance that's like acid to them? You'd think they'd have some protective gear, some nifty weapons.... something.

Nah, all you need against an alien invasion is a baseball bat and a super soaker.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Nah, all you need against an alien invasion is a baseball bat and a super soaker.

"Swing away Merrill!"

Easy 6
06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
"Swing away Merrill!"

Yep...the movie had me going right up to the end, just awful...based on his previous flics i was expecting so much more.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Signs though... ugh.

Super intelligent alien species invades earth... they're capable of intergalactic space travel, yet too dumb to know it's a bad idea to invade a planet 70% covered by a substance that's like acid to them? You'd think they'd have some protective gear, some nifty weapons.... something.

Yep...the movie had me going right up to the end, just awful...based on his previous flics i was expecting so much more.

I think I watched a different movie.

"Signs" was a movie about a "Man of the Cloth" who lost his wife, then lost his faith. During the invasion, there were "Signs" that led him back to his faith and back to the "Cloth".

The aliens were just the MacGuffin.

I rather enjoyed "Signs".

As to "Lady in Water", it was just an good, old-fashioned children's fairy tale. While somewhat predictable, I enjoyed it as well.

Easy 6
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM

"Signs" was a movie about a "Man of the Cloth" who lost his wife, then lost his faith. During the invasion, there were "Signs" that led him back to his faith and back to the "Cloth".

As to "Lady in Water", it was just an good, old-fashioned children's fairy tale. While somewhat predictable, I enjoyed it as well.

I understand the device of using a horrifying situation to test & ultimately redeem a man...its the terrible, terrible aliens that killed it for me.

95% of it kept me on the edge though.

KcMizzou
06-26-2008, 09:42 PM

As to "Lady in Water", it was just an good, old-fashioned children's fairy tale. While somewhat predictable, I enjoyed it as well.I realize the aliens weren't the point, but I still didn't like the movie.

If you're going to make a drama about a man who's lost his way, and finds God again... due to an alien friggin' invasion. That invasion, and those aliens better be believable.

Hell, an alien invasion would probably make me "find God" real quick-like. (Or at least look for him before the time was up).

The movie was a very personal story about a man who lost his faith and found it again. Great. Unfortunately, they squished it together with a science fiction move that isn't worthy of the Sci-Fi channel.

I respect you opinion, Dane... but that movie sucked.

(Never saw "Lady")

KcMizzou
06-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Just as a frame of reference, I loved The Sixth Sense (of course).. and Unbreakable.

Unbreakable's weird. I loved it when I saw it, but everyone else seemed to hate it.

Now, after all these years, everyone seems to love it.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I realize the aliens weren't the point, but I still didn't like the movie.

If you're going to make a drama about a man who's lost his way, and finds God again... due to an alien friggin' invasion. That invasion, and those aliens better be believable.

Hell, an alien invasion would probably make me "find God" real quick-like. (Or at least look for him before the time was up).

The movie was a very personal story about a man who lost his faith and found it again. Great. Unfortunately, they squished it together with a science fiction move that isn't worthy of the Sci-Fi channel.

I respect you opinion, Dane... but that movie sucked.

(Never saw "Lady")

That's cool. I wasn't trying to pass judgment on either your or Scott's opinion.

I think of the things that makes M. Night's movies so interesting is that different people can see different things.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Just as a frame of reference, I loved The Sixth Sense (of course).. and Unbreakable.

Unbreakable's weird. I loved it when I saw it, but everyone else seemed to hate it.

Now, after all these years, everyone seems to love it.

I loved it immediately though most people I know felt betrayed by it or just flat out hated it.

I asked my Dad during my parent's latest visit this month whether or not his opinion of "Unbreakable" had changed over the years.

His answer? "No".

He hated it.

KcMizzou
06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
That's cool. I wasn't trying to pass judgment on either your or Scott's opinion.

I think of the things that makes M. Night's movies so interesting is that different people can see different things.You've got that right.

Good or bad... his movies are always interesting.

KcMizzou
06-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I loved it immediately though most people I know felt betrayed by it or just flat out hated it.

I asked my Dad during my parent's latest visit this month whether or not his opinion of "Unbreakable" had changed over the years.

His answer? "No".

He hated it.It's so different.

It's a superhero movie that only hints at being a superhero movie. If that makes sense.

It feels very "real".

Very subtle.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2008, 09:58 PM
It's so different.

It's a superhero movie that only hints at being a superhero movie. If that makes sense.

Very subtle.

The ending is awesome! I kicked myself for not putting it together earlier in the film. It was like "Holy shit!"

Whereas the "Sixth Sense", I figured it out in the first 10 minutes but still loved the movie.

Another trippy movie I'd highly recommend if you haven't seen it is Alejando Amenabar's "The Others".

Easy 6
06-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Signs in 4 easy steps...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=signs

Nightwish
06-28-2008, 12:35 AM
The ending is awesome! I kicked myself for not putting it together earlier in the film. It was like "Holy shit!"

Whereas the "Sixth Sense", I figured it out in the first 10 minutes but still loved the movie.

Another trippy movie I'd highly recommend if you haven't seen it is Alejando Amenabar's "The Others".
You can also count me in as one of those who loved Unbreakable. Oddly, I've found that the degree to which I like the movie is the same as the order in which they were released ... but I haven't seen The Happening yet.

It's interesting, too, that you bring up The Others. I have always found that an interesting comparison to The Sixth Sense. Most people have figured one out right away, but gotten totally surprised by the other (but it differs from person to person which one they figured out). I have met very few people who actually figured both of them out early on. For me, I figured out The Sixth Sense almost immediately (but still thought it was an incredible movie), but The Others hit me like a brick upside the head! I totally didn't see it coming!

siberian khatru
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Signs in 4 easy steps...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=signs

"This movie wouldn't have been so bad if it actually went somewhere. It was like a porno with no money shot. One of those slow motion soft-core Showtime specials that start out as being mediocre detective melodrama, but you keep watching any way because it's starring Shannon Tweed and you know there's going to be a shower scene but you know it's going to suck because some dude inevitably comes in and starts man handling her and the camera man does nothing but zoom up on his ass. That's exactly what "Signs" is like: the camera man zooming up on some guy's ass for two hours."

ROFLROFLROFL

Deberg_1990
06-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I95% of it kept me on the edge though.

Whats frustrating about M. Night is hes not a hack. Hes actually got a lot of talent behind the camera and his movies always look good if nothing else.

He needs to stop being pompous and let someone else write his screenplays.

Hes probably too arrogant to let anyone else do that or he would have done it already.

When its all said and done, his movies still make money and "Open" just off his name alone.

Heck "Happening" is going to end up making 65mil. Not bad for a bad movie.

Easy 6
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Whats frustrating about M. Night is hes not a hack. Hes actually got a lot of talent behind the camera and his movies always look good if nothing else.

He needs to stop being pompous and let someone else write his screenplays.

Hes probably too arrogant to let anyone else do that or he would have done it already.

When its all said and done, his movies still make money and "Open" just off his name alone.

Heck "Happening" is going to end up making 65mil. Not bad for a bad movie.

I agree, he's no hack...i just feel that in trying to top each previous 'gotcha' plot, that he's venturing into the realm of the absurd.

I'm sure he'll eventually make another one that i like & even if he doesnt...he can still warm himself by a bonfire made of money at his Tahoe mansion.