PDA

View Full Version : News RIP Tim Russert

noa
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Died of a heart attack per CNN

the Talking Can
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
TIM RUSSERT DIES FROM APPARENT HEART ATTACK (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132008/news/nationalnews/tim_russert_dies_from_apparent_heart_att_115384.htm)
By CHARLES HURT
Tim Russert
Tim Russert

June 13, 2008 --

Updated at 3:36 p.m.

Tim Russert, NBC journalist and political heavyweight host of "Meet the Press," has died after collapsing at NBC's Washington news bureau, a source said. He was 58 years old.

Russert, who rose from the inside world of politics where he was former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo's press secretary and one-time chief of staff to the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, was able to successfully cross over to political journalism and rise to become one of its leading lights.

JimNasium
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I didn't always agree with his take but I always respected his opinion. RIP.

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
:eek:

Holy crap. :shake:

He's one of the few talking heads/pols whom I really respect. Even if you disagreed with his take, he was always very well reasoned, credible, and objective.

RIP, Tim.

FAX
06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow. That was sudden.

FAX

Pitt Gorilla
06-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Wow, that is terrible. He was a big part of NBC's outstanding coverage. RIP.

blueballs
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
The R Kelly verdict was to much

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow, that is terrible. He was a big part of NBC's outstanding coverage. RIP.

LMAO You shouldn't be joking when somebody died.

Chiefs_5627
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
RIP

eazyb81
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
He was eating a burger at the table next to me earlier this year in NYC.

RIP

sedated
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
who?

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
who?

A little known bit of trivia: while at Boston College, he invented the hybrid strain of MJ that became known as Columbian Gold.

alpha_omega
06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Really....WOW....RIP.

Simply Red
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Sad to hear.

stlchiefs
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
who?

Welcome to current events: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Russert

tomahawk kid
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
To echo previous comments, he was just about the only member of the national media that I truly enjoyed listening to.

I'll miss his presence on Meet the Press a great deal.

RNR
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM
To echo previous comments, he was just about the only member of the national media that I truly enjoyed listening to.

What he said :shake: wow a loss to fair media coverage.

noa
06-13-2008, 02:18 PM

I enjoyed waking up on Sunday mornings and having breakfast and coffee while watching Meet the Press. He walked a tough line in his interviews. He couldn't be too hard on the guests because he wanted to maintain good relationships with big players, but he couldn't be too soft because then he would be irrelevant.

More than his interviews with the politicians themselves, I liked it when Russert had panel discussions because he mediated well and always had good people on.

little jacob
06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
one of the few who didn't let his opinions bias his coverage.

tomahawk kid
06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I enjoyed waking up on Sunday mornings and having breakfast and coffee while watching Meet the Press. He walked a tough line in his interviews. He couldn't be too hard on the guests because he wanted to maintain good relationships with big players, but he couldn't be too soft because then he would be irrelevant.

More than his interviews with the politicians themselves, I liked it when Russert had panel discussions because he mediated well and always had good people on.

Exactly.

There's a lot of talking heads out their who call themselves "journalists" who could learn much from Russert's demeanor, preparation and tone with his audience.

Deberg_1990
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Wow..sad..

Ill never forget him and his little chalkboard during the 2000 presidental election fiasco.

bowener
06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow. He was actually pretty good. that sucks. Why couldnt it be bill O or glenn beck or hanity or that tard with the mustache.

tomahawk kid
06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow..sad..

Ill never forget him and his little chalkboard during the 2000 presidental election fiasco.

That dry erase board is in the Smithsonian.

The Rick
06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Sounds like he died on the job. Collapsed at the studio while doing voice overs for this Sunday's show.

Brock
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
"Big Russ" was a great book.

KC Dan
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Olbermann will fill in and make it unbiased! :doh!:Most likely be Brian Williams though

FAX
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
MSNBC is staying with Andrea Mitchell on this deal. She needs a break, though. She keeps tearing up.

FAX

Guru
06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Wow!!! That is completely unexpected. Condolences to the family. I can't stand NBC but I did like Tim.

FAX
06-13-2008, 02:38 PM
What "tard with a mustache", Mr. bowener?

FAX

Brock
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow. He was actually pretty good. that sucks. Why couldnt it be bill O or glenn beck or hanity or that tard with the mustache.

Or Keith Olbermannnn.

memyselfI
06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
MSNBC is staying with Andrea Mitchell on this deal. She needs a break, though. She keeps tearing up.

FAX

No, she doesn't. Tom Brokaw's voice was breaking. Keith Olbermann's eyes look puffy. David Gregory was visably shaken. They are vacillating between human and newsperson mode.

Dave Lane
06-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Olbermann Rocks he is a virtual god. But yeah doesn't god need Orally or Limbaugh or someone. Russert was the platinum standard of tough journalist.

Dave

Fairplay
06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
This news was a curve ball. I liked his style of journalism. Very likable person to watch. Sorry his end came so soon in life.

FAX
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
No, she doesn't. Tom Brokaw's voice was breaking. Keith Olbermann's eyes look puffy. David Gregory was visably shaken. They are vacillating between human and newsperson mode.

Don't be so argumentative. I have a spider monkey here with your name on it.

She seems to have gathered herself. When she was talking about how Russert called her "Mitch" which was the name her dad used for her, I thought she was going to have a moment.

FAX

Calcountry
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Olbermann Rocks he is a virtual god. But yeah doesn't god need Orally or Limbaugh or someone. Russert was the platinum standard of tough journalist.

DaveOlberman is a moron that is good at shouting the teleprompters words with inflection without letting spittles fly.

Bowser
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Olberman is a moron that is good at shouting the teleprompters words with inflection without letting spittles fly.

You'd like him if he bashed Democrats.

RIP Tim.

Guru
06-13-2008, 03:26 PM
:shake: Nice. Real nice. :shake:

bowener
06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
What "tard with a mustache", Mr. bowener?

FAX

I am not sure of his name at this time, but it is on the tip of my tongue. All I know is he married an asian figure skater and he is annoying... the one who drew up where the secret location of the troops were in the sand on national TV... well international tv... he is teh genieus.

Adept Havelock
06-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I am not sure of his name at this time, but it is on the tip of my tongue. All I know is he married an asian figure skater and he is annoying... the one who drew up where the secret location of the troops were in the sand on national TV... well international tv... he is teh genieus.

Geraldo "Al Capone's Vault" Rivera.

Not to be confused with Oliver "I got away with treason" North. ;)

FAX
06-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Giraldo? Ah. I haven't paid any attention to him since he busted into Al Capone's secret vault. He still owes me an hour.

FAX

Friendo
06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
interesting stuff on SCD in the 45 to 65 age group:

http://www.benbest.com/health/cardio1.html

RIP Tim--a quality run!

memyselfI
06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
interesting stuff on SCD in the 45 to 65 age group:

http://www.benbest.com/health/cardio1.html

RIP Tim--a quality run!

I have a sick feeling that DVT was a cause of this. It would be a very strange coincidence for him to die suddenly after a restful vacation but after a long flight and it not have be DVT.

Friendo
06-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I have a sick feeling that DVT was a cause of this. It would be a very strange coincidence for him to die suddenly after a restful vacation but after a long flight and it not have be DVT.

good point-I guess we'll see.
it's striking how much he's being noted for his genuine sincerity in a most insincere and egotistical town.

Ultra Peanut
06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Olbermann will fill in and make it unbiased! :doh!:Most likely be Brian Williams thoughThey're going to have to go with Brokaw or Williams on a temporary basis, I'd think. There's really no one else in-house with the chops he had in that area.

I like Chuck Todd, but he's more into analysis than interviews. I like Olbermann and Maddow, but they're both too partisan to really slip into that neutral role. Chris Matthews is ****ing hilarious, but... ****, thinking about Matthews depresses me almost as much as thinking about Russert's family. He always seemed like Matthews' cool-headed mentor, who could always sort of bring things back to an even keel after Chris started peeing in the floor like an over-excited puppy.

Someone else put it well, I think. Here we are, on the verge of one of the most historic elections ever. And "like Moses dying before the promised land," Tim Russert won't be alive to cover it.

Shit.

I have a sick feeling that DVT was a cause of this. It would be a very strange coincidence for him to die suddenly after a restful vacation but after a long flight and it not have be DVT.Man, David Bloom. :(

big nasty kcnut
06-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Never seen mtp but knew he was a bills fan too bad he wont see them win a superbowl. Funny thing is he and cntrygal the only bills fans i know. Rip

blueballs
06-14-2008, 05:55 AM
he could push Jones in camp

KCFalcon59
06-14-2008, 08:54 AM
R.I.P Tim.