PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Audis

Donger
06-14-2008, 11:50 AM
For some silly reason, my family is going to buy my eldest nephew an Audi A6, probably 2001+ with ~80,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any experience with this model at these kind of mileages? I realize that a lot depends on how well the car has been maintained, but I'm just looking for general intelligence regarding the make and model. Things to look for, known problems, etc.

From just a brief Google search, they seem to hold up rather well.

Thanks.

NewChief
06-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that Audis are similar to Volvos in that you're going to either want a dealership close by (shouldn't be a problem in Denver), or you're going to want to know a mechanic that specializes in Audis and other imports. Also, if they're anything like Volvos, at 80k miles, you're about to get into the 100k mile upkeep. Our Volvo cost us a ton of money from 100-120k with various issues, but it's doing great now.

All of this comes from a person with very little mechanical knowledge and no specific knowledge of those cars. Brock or one of the other gearheads can probably tell you a lot more about them.

NewChief
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
You may have already seen this site, but this has some good information on it:
http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_review_35563_5.html

My first hunch was to say avoid the dealership and find an independent mechanic specializing in Audis, because that has been my experience with Volvos. A few of the posts on that forum back this up, several mentioning how the dealership screws you. So... yeah... try to find a mechanic familiar with Audis.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Here's Consumer Reports data for what it's worth...

NewChief
06-14-2008, 12:11 PM
As I look at the site that I posted a link to, I'm laughing because so many of these people sound just like I do when talking about our Volvo:

We've had to sink a ton of money into it. It has tons of annoying quirks. I should hate the car, yet for some reason, I still like it.

Phobia
06-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Here's Consumer Reports data for what it's worth...

Which means I'd steer far, far away from it. I prefer my used vehicles have all red but at a minimum they'll have an overall used car value that comes up red.

Ugly Duck
06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
The Audi A4 gets better mileage. Also, the A4 ties with the Volvo XC70 for best frequency-of-repair status of all Euro vehicles. Those two models do very well in in the freq-of-repair thing compared to Japanese cars - most other Euro models... not so much..

blueballs
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
sounds like he'll have a huge inie

Bwana
06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
M-O-N-E-Y P-I-T!

Pablo
06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Good lord..I hope it's the sedan and not the wagon, unless your eldest nephew is teh ghey.

That thing is unattractive.

NewChief
06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Good lord..I hope it's the sedan and not the wagon, unless your eldest nephew is teh ghey.

That thing is unattractive.

Completely disagree. That's a good looking ride, especially if he's living in Colorado. Cross Countries, Audi Wagons, and Subaru Outbacks are pretty much the premier rides out there.

SNR
06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
My mom had a 99 A6 with loads of problems with it. Including a severe engine problem when she was on the interstate.

She ditched it in 2003 and got a VW Passat Wagon. Has had exactly ZERO problems with it apart from the checkup that the dealership offers every two years... plus stuff like oil changes and whatnot.

I've heard lots of complaints from people owning Audis from that range... 98-01/02. My dad got the Audi A8 in 2004 and again, has had absolutely no trouble with it. So I would recommend buying after 2003 if it's an Audi they want, but that may get a bit pricy.

Ugly Duck is right. The A4s are less sexy, but give you a much better value, especially if this is the kid's first car. Or just get a VW Passat, which has the same frame as the A4 and is cheaper yet.

Stay away from Jettas, though. T3h gh3y.

CoMoChief
06-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Audi's are nice cars except when it's time to repair one because it's just a giant pain in the ass.

Extra Point
06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I have made a secondary vocation from repairing our VW's. Unless you have the money to shell out for repairing that Audi (either DIY, dealer, or independent shop), don't buy it. Bwana's right.

Having overhauled the transmission in our Jetta, I can speak from experience.

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I would like to personally apologize for the POS Denver Broncos' fan above that has said in another thread that he hopes that the Airborne Ranger son of a poster here will "get gunned down" in Iraq.

He's an embarrassment to us.

little jacob
06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
i have heard audis and VWs both are not known for reliability.

Robio9
06-16-2008, 02:18 AM
I used to own a 2002 A6 2.7T. I bought it used at 35K miles, purchased an extended warranty through Audi bringing it to 100,000 miles, and I never had to bring it in for anything other than routine maintenance, and one factory recall for something I don't remember.

That having been said, there were a couple of things that went bad around 130,000 miles, which (in my opinion) were quite expensive to repair:

1. Driver side front window motor went bad. Couldn't just purchase the motor as an aftermarket part; I had to buy the entire window assembly. $500 to purchase and have the dealer install. Then again, my roommate's 2003 F150 had a similar problem, and it cost him $400, so maybe that price wasn't so unreasonable.
2. Replace belts and front disc brake rotors: $1500.
3. Also, the two intercoolers were going bad, and had I not traded in my car, I would have been looking at a $4000 parts&labor cost.

Bottom line: I never regretted my purchase. The car ran like a champ up until about 125,000 miles. The one thing I would change, would be to look for the non-turbo, 3.0L v6 or 4.x V8 -- cheaper to maintain in the long run compared to the twin-turbo 2.7 V6.

HMc
06-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Routine servicing isn't necassarily expensive, but like any german car, when you get up over 70,000 miles shit is gonna go wrong, and that is when you bend over and pucker up.

He'd be better off a younger A4 if they need to buy an Audi

Ultra Peanut
06-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Buy this Audi instead.

http://i32.tinypic.com/ine9nt.jpg

Only a few thousand miles. Very durable.

Simply Red
06-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I have an A-4 and love it. I'm going to buy an A-5 in about six mos.

modocsot
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
For some silly reason, my family is going to buy my eldest nephew an Audi A6, probably 2001+ with ~80,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any experience with this model at these kind of mileages? I realize that a lot depends on how well the car has been maintained, but I'm just looking for general intelligence regarding the make and model. Things to look for, known problems, etc.

From just a brief Google search, they seem to hold up rather well.

Thanks.

I love my A6 2.7T. It's expensive to repair, however. With that many miles, there's bound to be many trips to the service dock, particularly electronic issues as there's many gizmo's the car features. There'll probably be several check engine lights that call for various sensor replacements.

The timing belt will need to be replaced before 100k. If tiptronic tranny, I recommend a tranny flush despite Audi's claim of 100k fluid. Stock rotors warp.

Even though I own one, I'd recommend avoiding the bi-turbo model with that mileage. You just don't know how hard the previous owners ran those the turbos. Your safer w/ the normally aspirated 2.8, 3.0 or 4.2 engines.

eazyb81
06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I have an A-4 and love it. I'm going to buy an A-5 in about six mos.

I'm looking at an A5 also, they look bad ass.

Simply Red
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Don't kid anybody here. The Audi of yesteryear (eighties) is long gone. They've cleaned up their act enormously.

StcChief
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
1st car, he has to maintain? Go Japanese. Honda/Nissan.

Simply Red
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm looking at an A5 also, they look bad ass.

Yeah, + they're not too pricey. Me thinks they start @ 38k

Simply Red
06-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Simply Red
06-16-2008, 10:50 AM
it's delicious