PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto trying out a new mower

Friendo
06-14-2008, 11:00 AM
a walk behind 48" Lesco w/Sulky. bad-boy will flat mow my 1.5 acres, but wanted feedback from other users with experience. good deal on it-has about 300 hours use.

Brock
06-14-2008, 11:06 AM
<=Envious

Buehler445
06-14-2008, 02:26 PM
48" walkbehind? Why not a riding, particularly with an acre and a half?

Bugeater
06-14-2008, 02:41 PM
48" walkbehind? Why not a riding, particularly with an acre and a half?
That was my first thought, for that kind of dough I'd buy something where all I had to do is sit on my ass and steer. Hell I have that now and I don't have anywhere near that much to mow.

blueballs
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Push mowing is good exercise
he could mow 45-60 minutes a day

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I might be wrong, but I think a sulky is a 2-wheeled attachment that you stand on and the mower takes you for a ride.

Friendo
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM
have you ever used one? we're talking about a commercial duty deck, vs the Black & Decker retail version. I'd have to spend 3 times as much to get a comparable rider, and with a Sulky, you ride while standing. the only reservations I have so far are the safety factor, but didn't know if anyone had any experience with one.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:15 PM
have you ever used one? we're talking about a commercial duty deck, vs the Black & Decker retail version. I'd have to spend 3 times as much to get a comparable rider, and with a Sulky, you ride while standing. the only reservations I have so far are the safety factor, but didn't know if anyone had any experience with one.

My neighbor's son has one of these for his landscaping company. He can mow my neighbor's acre in about 45 minutes, it not less. I'm jealous. I'm out there on my 38" rider and it takes me twice as long. Of course, my rider cost about 1/4 of his mower.

Friendo
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM
My neighbor's son has one of these for his landscaping company. He can mow my neighbor's acre in about 45 minutes, it not less. I'm jealous. I'm out there on my 38" rider and it takes me twice as long. Of course, my rider cost about 1/4 of his mower.

that's the point Stewie--ask him about safety--it's so powerful if you run up on any kind of rise it can do a rollover on you if you're not careful.

Brock
06-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Does it have a beer can holder?

Friendo
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Does it have a beer can holder?

right side--roach clip on the left.

Bugeater
06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I might be wrong, but I think a sulky is a 2-wheeled attachment that you stand on and the mower takes you for a ride.
Ah, I've seen those before but I had no idea what they were called.

Buehler445
06-14-2008, 03:49 PM

I was unaware. Thanks!

Ari Chi3fs
06-14-2008, 03:59 PM
right side--roach clip on the left.

Dude that sounds like the coolest Mowing Chariot, EVAR!! Nice touch on the roach clip, BTW.

jeff h
06-14-2008, 07:22 PM
that's the point Stewie--ask him about safety--it's so powerful if you run up on any kind of rise it can do a rollover on you if you're not careful.

I have a 48" exmark walk behind with sulke for my lawn service company. They are by far the safest of the commercial type mowers for hills. Lesco is an average to below average brand. What is the guy asking for it? Is it a hydro or belt drive?

Friendo
06-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a 48" exmark walk behind with sulke for my lawn service company. They are by far the safest of the commercial type mowers for hills. Lesco is an average to below average brand. What is the guy asking for it? Is it a hydro or belt drive?

Lesco is made by Deere. He's asking $1200--belt drive (I would prefer hydro, but I'm not using it commercially)--deck is in great shape. I wasn't referring to hills, as my lawn is pretty flat, but I talked to someone who nearly did a wing-over putting it in the garage one day. I suspect you just have to be liberal with your turns. thoughts?

jeff h
06-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Lesco is made by Deere. He's asking $1200--belt drive (I would prefer hydro, but I'm not using it commercially)--deck is in great shape. I wasn't referring to hills, as my lawn is pretty flat, but I talked to someone who nearly did a wing-over putting it in the garage one day. I suspect you just have to be liberal with your turns. thoughts?

Mine has a safety switch that will kill the mower if you let go. I have lost control a couple of times (lose the grip on one handle) and it's going in circles...unless you let go of BOTH handles. This doesn't seem hard but for some reason but it is. You should expect this to happen at about the worst time. Just be ready to let go of both.

The price is a little high. If you really wanted it I would try to get it at 1000 or maybe a little below. You realize not being a hydro, you will avoid backing it up at all costs. If you have a lot of trimming (trees)that you have to get under etc you will get frustrated. Mowing your yard with it should give you a great idea if it is going to work or suck. I back mine a lot since I have to mow under a lot of stuff. This is the advantage of the walk behind and not the ride ons.

I know they are made by Deere but that doesn't change the fact they are considered an average to below average mower. The top of the line brands for walk behinds are Scag and Exmark. With Exmark and their ECS handles being the best.

I mow a 3 acre yard in 2 1/2 hours. I mow my 1.5 acre yard in 1.5 hours. The 48 inch deck is the most popular size in commercial mowers (keeps your cost down since there are a ton of them). A commercial mower generally isn't going to mow that big of a yard with a 48. I only have one mower and didn't want to turn down the money for a 3 acre yard so I'm getting by until I get a few more (who knows if I'll get more of those premium yards).

It never ceases to amaze me how much equipment people have in there garages to mow their yards once per week. At least you are going with a middle of the road mower, USED...great idea, and one that is not OVER SIZED.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff

Friendo
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Mine has a safety switch that will kill the mower if you let go. I have lost control a couple of times (lose the grip on one handle) and it's going in circles...unless you let go of BOTH handles. This doesn't seem hard but for some reason but it is. You should expect this to happen at about the worst time. Just be ready to let go of both.

The price is a little high. If you really wanted it I would try to get it at 1000 or maybe a little below. You realize not being a hydro, you will avoid backing it up at all costs. If you have a lot of trimming (trees)that you have to get under etc you will get frustrated. Mowing your yard with it should give you a great idea if it is going to work or suck. I back mine a lot since I have to mow under a lot of stuff. This is the advantage of the walk behind and not the ride ons.

I know they are made by Deere but that doesn't change the fact they are considered an average to below average mower. The top of the line brands for walk behinds are Scag and Exmark. With Exmark and their ECS handles being the best.

I mow a 3 acre yard in 2 1/2 hours. I mow my 1.5 acre yard in 1.5 hours. The 48 inch deck is the most popular size in commercial mowers (keeps your cost down since there are a ton of them). A commercial mower generally isn't going to mow that big of a yard with a 48. I only have one mower and didn't want to turn down the money for a 3 acre yard so I'm getting by until I get a few more (who knows if I'll get more of those premium yards).

It never ceases to amaze me how much equipment people have in there garages to mow their yards once per week. At least you are going with a middle of the road mower, USED...great idea, and one that is not OVER SIZED.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff

excellent-Rep! I have pruned most of my trees above head-level, so that won't be an issue. the guy I referenced had by-passed the cut-off :rolleyes:
thanks Jeff!