PDA

View Full Version : News Make your own Fuel for $1.20 a gallon up to 600 gallons a day.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Saw this on Spike this morning.

http://www.extremebiodiesel.com/

Stewie
06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Where does one get all this waste vegetable oil?

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Meh, it's only a niche alternative. It only works with diesel powered vehicles and I doubt there is enough vegetable oil laying around for all of us to power our vehicles with anyway. It's not the home run we need to get off of oil.

CoMoChief
06-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I saw something like this on Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel.

The guy used the cooking oil that was thrown out from multiple restaurants around town and other things I can't remember to make it.

Though he drove a Datsun 1980's mini pickup. Doubt that way would work in most vehicles today.....if any.

CoMoChief
06-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Where does one get all this waste vegetable oil?

Restaurant, a lot is used from the excess cooking oil that is eventually thrown out.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Resturants

The waste oil from restaurants is already recycled. It's a fallacy that you can drive up to McDonalds and they'll give you their oil.

CoMoChief
06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
The waste oil from restaurants is already recycled. It's a fallacy that you can drive up to McDonalds and they'll give you their oil.

I'm just saying what I saw on the Dirty Jobs show.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm just saying what I saw on the Dirty Jobs show.

I understand. It sounds good, but the amount of waste oil from restaurants is minuscule.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM

They pay to have their oil recyled, right? I'm just curoius how you would know something like this and post it as fact.

Brock
06-14-2008, 03:06 PM

Non corporate restaurants are more than willing to let you haul off used oil.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
They pay to have their oil recyled, right?

I don't know about restaurants. If they do it's not much. I work for a manufacturing company and we are paid for our waste oil. It's not vegetable oil, so it may be easily recyclable into more products.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Meh, it's only a niche alternative. It only works with diesel powered vehicles and I doubt there is enough vegetable oil laying around for all of us to power our vehicles with anyway. It's not the home run we need to get off of oil.

They were saying most efficient way being developed was to grow algae where you could produce 30k gallons a year per acre. They didn't get into any of the specifics though. I know absolutely nothing about this. We need to come up with something though. What I found amusing was when you purchase one of these extreme bio-diesel units the government wants to tax you on a per gallon basis. LMAO

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Non corporate restaurants are more than willing to let you haul off used oil.

That's probably true, but driving all over town for a few liters of oil per day is worth it? Many vegetable oils can be filtered and used over and over by restaurants.

Brock
06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/us/30grease.html?em&ex=1212379200

Theft of the stuff is apparently on the rise.

"Fryer grease has become gold,” Mr. Damianidis said. “And just over a year ago, I had to pay someone to take it away.”

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know about restaurants. If they do it's not much. I work for a manufacturing company and we are paid for our waste oil. It's not vegetable oil, so it may be easily recyclable into more products.

Once again I know nothing about his but the program clained they have to pay to have their vegetable oil recycled and getting it is not a problem. It's not something I have time for anyway but I thought it would be cool if you could produce your own fuel and give the bird to the oil companies.

Brock
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Once again I know nothing about his but the program clained they have to pay to have their vegetable oil recycled and getting it is not a problem. It's not something I have time for anyway but I thought it would be cool if you could produce your own fuel and give the bird to the oil companies.

Apparently a lot of enterprising people are already doing it. I have a 50 gallon drum of the oil that I picked up about 2 years ago. I was considering finding an old diesel Rabbit or something and seeing if I could get it to run.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
That's probably true, but driving all over town for a few liters of oil per day is worth it? Many vegetable oils can be filtered and used over and over by restaurants.

Once again how do you know this stuff? Have you been a chef? Have you owned a restaurant? The only thing I can recall on this subject was an episode on good eats where he talked about frying with vegetable oil and replacing it. If I recall correctly the probem wasn't with filtering the oil it was that it eventually broke down and the smoking point changed.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Apparently a lot of enterprising people are already doing it. I have a 50 gallon drum of the oil that I picked up about 2 years ago. I was considering finding an old diesel Rabbit or something and seeing if I could get it to run.

Outstanding. :thumb: Giving the oil companies the bird has to give one more pleasure than doing it to almost anyone else.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-14-2008, 03:19 PM
They were saying most efficient way being developed was to grow algae where you could produce 30k gallons a year per acre. They didn't get into any of the specifics though. I know absolutely nothing about this. We need to come up with something though. What I found amusing was when you purchase one of these extreme bio-diesel units the government wants to tax you on a per gallon basis. LMAO

Well even small scale alternatives help, and I agree we need to come up with something and anything is worth looking into. My first thought when you talk about growing something to produce is that we're faced with the trade off of a limited amount of farmland and the resulting higher food prices which we're already seeing because of the ethanol craze. And of course the gov't is going to find a way to get their cut no matter what we do.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Once again how do you know this stuff? Have you been a chef? Have you owned a restaurant? The only thing I can recall on this subject was an episode on good eats where he talked about frying with vegetable oil and replacing it. If I recall correctly the probem wasn't with filtering the oil it was that it eventually broke down and the smoking point changed.

It depends on the oil. I have a very good friend who owns a BBQ joint here in KC. The amount of oil he discards in a day isn't significant. Grease on the other hand is significant.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I saw an ad on craigslist a while back where someone was wanting old turkey fryer oil, and I had several jugs of it in the garage I had been wanting to get rid of. When the guy came and picked it up I asked him if it was worth it to run all over picking it up, and he said as long as he got 3-4 gallons it was. Hell I gave him 10.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
It depends on the oil. I have a very good friend who owns a BBQ joint here in KC. The amount of oil he discards in a day isn't significant. Grease on the other hand is significant.

I imagine that has a lot to do with the amount of deep frying he does. I'll tell what's disgusting is watching them clean the exhaust system from one of those taqueria's.

Baby Lee
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Restaurant, a lot is used from the excess cooking oil that is eventually thrown out.

A decent sized fast food restaurant has three fryers.
Each fryer holds 5 gallons.
The only one that gets new oil is the front one for the french fries. The other two are filtered and just move one fryer down, to the hash brown, onion ring, pie, chicken sammich fryers, with the dirtiest fryer getting thrown away.

5 gallons a day. And that's the restaurants that do the MOST frying. Greasy spoons will go a week of filtering before throwing away.

Even then, the biggest [corporate] operations already have places that take the accumulated waste oil to refine for other purposes.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I saw an ad on craigslist a while back where someone was wanting old turkey fryer oil, and I had several jugs of it in the garage I had been wanting to get rid of. When the guy came and picked it up I asked him if it was worth it to run all over picking it up, and he said as long as he got 3-4 gallons it was. Hell I gave him 10.

You turkey fryin fool.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:27 PM

What was he doing with it? If it was peanut oil (the common oil for turkey frying) he came out like a champ. I seriously doubt he was turning it into biodiesel.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
What was he doing with it? If it was peanut oil (the common oil for turkey frying) he came out like a champ. I seriously doubt he was turning it into biodiesel.

Now you want to be vague. LMAO

Baby Lee
06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/us/30grease.html?em&ex=1212379200

Theft of the stuff is apparently on the rise.

Working Hardees and McDonalds in HS in the late 80s, they had a repurposer in place way back then.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
He had some diesel Chevy truck that he was powering with biodiesel, at least that's what he said he was doing with it. And yes, it was peanut oil. I was just happy to get rid of it because I had no idea how to properly dispose of it.

Stewie
06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Working Hardees and McDonalds in HS in the late 80s, they had a repurposer in place way back then.

Ha! Ya know, back in the day I lived on the Hardee's Big Twin. I think that's what it was called. Man, I loved that burger.

CoMoChief
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM

LMAO Did he offer to give you a blow job too? Craigslist is known for those kinds of people.........lol

Calcountry
06-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Well even small scale alternatives help, and I agree we need to come up with something and anything is worth looking into. My first thought when you talk about growing something to produce is that we're faced with the trade off of a limited amount of farmland and the resulting higher food prices which we're already seeing because of the ethanol craze. And of course the gov't is going to find a way to get their cut no matter what we do.Algae can be grown in the southwest, the challenge is the water.

Valiant
06-14-2008, 03:48 PM
They pay to have their oil recyled, right? I'm just curoius how you would know something like this and post it as fact.

If you read/saw the news, places are trying to make this illegal.. Many people are now hitting up restaurants multiple times a week to steal their garbaged oil.. Many restaurants are locking up the pits and using video surveillance on them to stop people from going after their garbage..

I find it funny that these places that pay for this stuff to be hauled awayed are mad that people are doing it for free for them..

But this dumpster diving if you will is becoming really big business.. You can make more money doing this then stealing copper from what I have read..

Valiant
06-14-2008, 03:48 PM

The restaurants I worked at never filtered anything.. Just threw it away or put in those big dump pits..

Valiant
06-14-2008, 03:53 PM
A decent sized fast food restaurant has three fryers.
Each fryer holds 5 gallons.
The only one that gets new oil is the front one for the french fries. The other two are filtered and just move one fryer down, to the hash brown, onion ring, pie, chicken sammich fryers, with the dirtiest fryer getting thrown away.

5 gallons a day. And that's the restaurants that do the MOST frying. Greasy spoons will go a week of filtering before throwing away.

Even then, the biggest [corporate] operations already have places that take the accumulated waste oil to refine for other purposes.

I am thinking it depends on the place.. The news report I read about said the cops would sit there and watch people come up and try and steal the oil, it was that rampant..

Shit if I were a restaurant I would lock it up and put out a sign that said 2dollars a gallon..

mcan
06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
There's a guy who lives here in Manhattan and has a deal worked out with a couple of different resteraunts. He picks up oil from a different place every couple of days, and hits all of them once a week. So, don't let anybody tell you that's not a viable alternative to crude. There isn't enough to get everybody to do it, but there is plenty out there if YOU want to do it.

chasedude
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
I saw something on Speedvision not long ago about this. They used the Standard Extractor in the link. The device filtered the oil, next then to add Lye to the mix for the correct pH level. Mix more and you're ready to fill your tank.

If I drove a diesel I would be more prone to try this. Diesel has hit $4.79 in town.

EyePod
06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
This is funny. I work at a waste water treatment facility (85% industrial waste water), and we also have an incinerator that we burn grease at. Most companies like Burger King and Wendy's just bring their stuff to us. I wonder if I can start using the grease they bring to us....

Skip Towne
06-14-2008, 04:31 PM
If you read/saw the news, places are trying to make this illegal.. Many people are now hitting up restaurants multiple times a week to steal their garbaged oil.. Many restaurants are locking up the pits and using video surveillance on them to stop people from going after their garbage..

I find it funny that these places that pay for this stuff to be hauled awayed are mad that people are doing it for free for them..

But this dumpster diving if you will is becoming really big business.. You can make more money doing this then stealing copper from what I have read..

No, stealing copper is still doing better for me.

Braincase
06-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I use stumbleupon.com's toolbar to locate a lot of different websites dealing with my various interests. One of the things I have a serious interest in is alternative fuels, and it's very interesting how creative people are becoming in terms of biodiesel, as well as other types of quick-turn around fuels.

I think we're going to beat this thing, but we have to do it ourselves, and we must as a society to tell the oil companies to go screw themselves. It'll be funny if they government wants to tax a working man for making his own fuel... they ought to be subsidizing us instead.

Valiant
06-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I use stumbleupon.com's toolbar to locate a lot of different websites dealing with my various interests. One of the things I have a serious interest in is alternative fuels, and it's very interesting how creative people are becoming in terms of biodiesel, as well as other types of quick-turn around fuels.

I think we're going to beat this thing, but we have to do it ourselves, and we must as a society to tell the oil companies to go screw themselves. It'll be funny if they government wants to tax a working man for making his own fuel... they ought to be subsidizing us instead.

Kind of like we had to tell the British to go screw themselves..

Viva la revolution...

Silock
06-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Homemade biodiesel is great stuff, but you could run into problems in the winter. When the temps drop, it starts to congeal, and it may end up clogging the fuel lines. In that case, you'll have to mix pump diesel with it, I think.

That was last time I checked, though. There may be additives now that will prevent that.

Brock
06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Homemade biodiesel is great stuff, but you could run into problems in the winter. When the temps drop, it starts to congeal, and it may end up clogging the fuel lines. In that case, you'll have to mix pump diesel with it, I think.

That was last time I checked, though. There may be additives now that will prevent that.

I was talking to a high school kid who converted an old Mercedes to biodiesel and he said that he has to start it with regular diesel fuel. I do think the fuel has to be kept warm in the winter though in any case.

Count Zarth
06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
LMAO Did he offer to give you a blow job too? Craigslist is known for those kinds of people.........lol

I've gotten at least ten offers for blowjobs on craigslist. All from guys.

Silock
06-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I was talking to a high school kid who converted an old Mercedes to biodiesel and he said that he has to start it with regular diesel fuel. I do think the fuel has to be kept warm in the winter though in any case.

Yeah, when I looked into it, there was a kit that included a smaller, separate tank that contained pump diesel and you had to rig a switch in the cabin to switch back and forth between the two.

Silock
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
I've gotten at least ten offers for blowjobs on craigslist. All from guys.

Well, at least you got some play.

NewChief
06-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Quite a few of my friends are now running their rides on veggie oil. Two of them own a restaurant (http://www.greenhousegrille.com/home.html), so that helps out.

Ebolapox
06-14-2008, 07:32 PM

he DID ask him if he wanted to touch his penis and jump around the guy's train room. interestingly enough, he had a sh*t-ton of imitation crab meat.