PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm Edwards: Father Knows Best

Count Zarth
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/15/herm_edwards_father_knows_best/

Today stands for many things. Certainly it centers around dear old dad. On the surface one might not see a lot of correlation between fathering and the sport of football… save for our fathers pulled up in front of the television watching their favorite gridiron teams each fall weekend. However, when it’s a foregone conclusion that you’ll be sporting one of the youngest teams in the NFL this coming season, as will be the case for the Kansas City Chiefs, a team patriarch is very important.

That case was proved earlier this week. Huddled in the downtown branch of the Kansas City Public Library were several representatives from the Chiefs. The event was the celebration of the Kansas City Royals Father of the Year Essay Contest winners. Flanked by Royals alums, current members of the Red and Gold, and fathers with their children from throughout the metro area, this event was a collaboration with the National Center for Fathering.

Throughout the night, a half dozen Chiefs players were joined by Royals representatives in reading the winning essay scribed by children from each grade level about their father or father figure. One by one, the children and their dads were recognized on stage as these sport figures read these eloquent narratives.

For over a decade this event has helped connect the National Center for Fathering to over 1,000,000 children, fathers and families across the United States. The Father of the Year Essay Contest was created by the National Center for Fathering in 1992 to raise awareness about the importance of fathering. As a result countless individuals have been touched by an organization that’s dedicated inspiring and equipping men to be the involved fathers, grandfathers, and father figures their children need.

However, the highlight for many came as the Chiefs father figure took to the stage himself. As he looked out in the audience before delivering his message, he beamed. Not only was his son, Marcus, there but so too were six of his adopted sons, TE Michael Allen, K Billy Cundiff, C Rudy Niswanger, C Wade Smith, G Tre Stallings, and QB Tyler Thigpen.

“You know,” Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards began, “I’m lucky enough to have my son here tonight. He’s getting married soon so the emotions I have standing up here he’ll soon experience for himself. In fact, I enjoyed being a father so much to Marcus that my wife and I had two other children, our daughters Gabrielle and Vivian.”

“But I’m not just a father to them. I have to be a father to our entire team. Because they too are now or soon will be fathers themselves. Marcus has heard this a thousand times before but my father taught me many lessons in life and I try my best to pass them along to our team. One of the most important that I preach all the time is that anyone can have a child but it takes someone special to be a father. At the end of the day, you want to make sure that you’ve left your child with more than just your last name.”

As the speech rolled on, Edwards shared intimate stories and conversations involving his father and his upbringing. It was easy to see that Master Sergeant Herm Edwards, Sr. left an indelible mark that helped mold the 10th coach in Chiefs history into the man is his today. It was equally simple to see that he shares those core values with all those “children” of his that reside in the Arrowhead Stadium locker room.

With each word, the crowd became more and more mesmerized by the Chiefs leader. The players, who undoubtedly have heard similar speeches countless times, still seemed to hang on every word. Even Herm’s flesh-and-blood, Marcus, had a look that revealed his genuine captivation.

It is at times like this, that you understand why Coach Edwards is termed a “player’s coach” by many. It isn’t because he played 142 games as a defensive back in the NFL himself. Instead, it has to do with his ability to deliver a message both succinctly and passionately while keeping the player’s best interest in mind. Best of all, he is able to relay his message in a manner that would never bring into question his sincerity.

After all, one of the most popular Herm-isms that gets regurgitated daily around the Chiefs Offices is “Whatever you do in the dark, will eventually come to light.” Translation: make sure your words and your actions line up precisely or you’ll be in trouble.

As the event neared its apex, everyone gathered and held hands in celebration of not just the fathers recognized that night but those worldwide that are making a difference. And the feeling throughout the room was that there is no question whom the father figure of the Chiefs is. Even though he has just three children by blood, Herm Edwards counts each and every member of the Kansas City Chiefs as his children.

So he prepares anyone wearing a Chiefs helmet not just for victory on the field but success off of it. He does this because that’s what his father would except him to do. He does this because that’s the way he’d want his children to carry themselves. He does this because that’s the only way he knows how to coach. He does this because father knows best!

Pablo
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
39 YEARS AND COUNTING, Q-UEEF TURDS ROFL

November 11 BRONCOS 27 Q-UEEFS 11
December 9 BRONCOS 41 Q-UEEFS 7

1997 AFC Divisional Playoff BRONCOS 14 Q-UEEFS 10

DIE Q-UEEF SCUM DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I might not get any sleep tonight wondering if you may be fully capable of reproducing.

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Kill this MFer, mods.

Tribal Warfare
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I might not get any sleep tonight wondering if you may be fully capable of reproducing.

He's on ignore

SBK
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
What's a murdera?