PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Lakers are too young.

Logical
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
And suprisingly Phil Jackson is being outcoached. They might win this game but they do not look good.

RedNeckRaider
06-15-2008, 10:32 PM
They should win this one but I dont think youth is their problem. I dont think they are that good. Granted I have not watched The NBA for several years and only am watching parts of this because its Celtics Lakers. That said I am not impressed with either of these teams.

Friendo
06-15-2008, 10:34 PM
maybe the Celtics are too good--couldn't be that could it?

Deberg_1990
06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
They should win this one but I dont think youth is their problem. I dont think they are that good. Granted I have not watched The NBA for several years and only am watching parts of this because its Celtics Lakers. That said I am not impressed with either of these teams.

The Lakers had the best record in the West this year. The West was extremely good this year.

RedNeckRaider
06-15-2008, 10:43 PM
The Lakers had the best record in the West this year. The West was extremely good this year.
Well that explains why the USA gets their ass kicked over seas nowdays. These teams look average...well the Celtics have looked better but still not what I would consider great

Deberg_1990
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Well that explains why the USA gets their ass kicked over seas nowdays.

haha....No. I honestly think alot of the superstar players dont care about the Olympics. Their hearts are not in it.

Logical
06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes this is certainly not the Magic/Kareem/Worthy/Green vs Bird/Parrish/Ford/Archibald type of teams.

Guru
06-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Boston will take it in Boston.

Fruit Ninja
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Celtics have 3 of the all time greats on their team. That team is ****ing good. Celtics are that ****ing good. Lakers are a solid team, but like i said, this Boston team is a hired gun right now.

Wreckloose
06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Well that explains why the USA gets their ass kicked over seas nowdays. These teams look average...well the Celtics have looked better but still not what I would consider great

Considering must of the best players from around the world are in the NBA that doesn't really explain anything.

Fruit Ninja
06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
haha....No. I honestly think alot of the superstar players dont care about the Olympics. Their hearts are not in it.

NBA season is hell of long. I am sure after 82 games a year they want to relax a bit on their downtime. I dont blame them.

banyon
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
39 YEARS AND COUNTING, Q-UEEF TURDS ROFL

November 11 BRONCOS 27 Q-UEEFS 11
December 9 BRONCOS 41 Q-UEEFS 7

1997 AFC Divisional Playoff BRONCOS 14 Q-UEEFS 10

DIE Q-UEEF SCUM DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy has posted this identical garbage several times now. Flush him.

Logical
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Celtics have 3 of the all time greats on their team. That team is ****ing good. Celtics are that ****ing good. Lakers are a solid team, but like i said, this Boston team is a hired gun right now.All time greats????

I don't see anyone on that team that fits that title. Good possibly great but not all time greats.

ChiefsFanatic
06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
All time greats????

I don't see anyone on that team that fits that title. Good possibly great but not all time greats.

If you did 50 Greatest Players since 1990, I think all three would be on that list.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
All time greats????

Paul Pierce is one. Kevin Garnett is another and IMO so is Ray Allen. They may not be up there with Magic, Jordan, Bird, Kareem, but they are up there with the Pippen's, Barkley's, Drexlers imo.

Baconeater
06-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Boston will take it in Boston.

Way to go out on a limb there. :rolleyes:

irishjayhawk
06-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Paul Pierce is one. Kevin Garnett is another and IMO so is Ray Allen. They may not be up there with Magic, Jordan, Bird, Kareem, but they are up there with the Pippen's, Barkley's, Drexlers imo.

Seconded.

Logical
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
If you did 50 Greatest Players since 1990, I think all three would be on that list.
Why would you want to limit it to 90, hardly includes the all time greats, sorry I suppose this makes me an old timer but you are comparing players with the Russells, Chamberlains, Jabbars, Havilicecks, Wests etc, just wont wash for me.

88TG88
06-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Youth/inexperience did the bench in.

SPATCH
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM

remember when drexler/pippen and barkley were on those rocket teams with olajuwan???

can't believe they weren't any better than they were

ChiefsFanatic
06-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Why would you want to limit it to 90, hardly includes the all time greats, sorry I suppose this makes me an old timer but you are comparing players with the Russells, Chamberlains, Jabbars, Havilicecks, Wests etc, just wont wash for me.

My point in saying 1990 was it was the start of the Jordan era as far as championships go, and it is so hard for younger players to get into the all-time greats discussion, so just start from there. It is a better way to judge current players against current players.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
remember when drexler/pippen and barkley were on those rocket teams with olajuwan???

can't believe they weren't any better than they wereWell, they won 2, then Michael came back and that was it. lol

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 12:52 AM
My point in saying 1990 was it was the start of the Jordan era as far as championships go, and it is so hard for younger players to get into the all-time greats discussion, so just start from there. It is a better way to judge current players against current players.

Even from there the NBA is a bit different with them allowing zone defense and a few other things. Now i think players train a little harder with weights and have modern medical care and what not. They are a bit stronger now.

ohiobronco2
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
The Lakers aren't as hungry. The Celtics are filled with vets who know this may be their only chance to win the title. The announcers kept saying the same thing last night, "the Celtics are more willing to take a charge than back out the way and comitt a foul." I think that a sign of a veteran team is putting your body in harms way to win a title. I want to see Allen, Pierce and Garnett get rewarded for their longevity in this league.

cadmonkey
06-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Celtics have 3 of the all time greats on their team. That team is ****ing good. Celtics are that ****ing good. Lakers are a solid team, but like i said, this Boston team is a hired gun right now.

kinda like the Lakers were when they got Karl Malone and Gary Peyton?

ohiobronco2
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Malone and Payton were over the hill when they went to the Lakers. I would say Allen and Garnett are in their prime.

KevB
06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Malone and Payton were over the hill when they went to the Lakers. I would say Allen and Garnett are in their prime.

Allen and Garnett are on the downside. Ray Allen 5 years ago was significantly better than Ray Allen today. He's still a pro, and can make some plays, but he was a stud a few years ago. Garnett still brings it, but I think he was better during his last few years in Minny.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
This "hired gun" talk is absolutely, positively ridiculous. Both the Celtics and the Lakers have a LONG history of bringing in players on the back 9 of their careers to create or maintain a dynasty.

Question -- which of the 3 obvious greatest-ever Laker centers did the Lakers draft? (that would be Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaq, in case anyone doesn't know).

Answer: NONE

Karl Malone
Bill Walton
Bob McAdoo
Gary Payton
Kevin Garnett
Robert Parish

the list goes on and on and on and on. It's totally irrelevant, and Lakers fans look like idiots when they act like the Celtics championship (assuming they win one) is somehow minimized by their having "Hired" the guns to bring them in. Hint -- EVERY LAKER CHAMPIONSHIP SINCE THE GEORGE FREAKIN' MIKAN ERA HAS RELIED HEAVILY ON HIRED GUNS.

In fact, I would suggest that it's fair to say that far more Laker championship that Celtic championships have relied heavily on non-drafted talent. Nearly all of the Celtics championships of the 50s/60s were homegrown. At least the key players. Lakers 70s, 80s and 90s championships had a "hired gun" superstar center as one fo the absolute key players.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Even from there the NBA is a bit different with them allowing zone defense and a few other things. Now i think players train a little harder with weights and have modern medical care and what not. They are a bit stronger now.

Not "a bit". Alot. That's true across all sports.

Tribal Warfare
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM

or how about Shaq

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, not exactly, Lakers had a good foundation and had won 2 in a row before that. Similar, but not the same.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
or how about Shaq

Shaq was i his prime and played quite a few years for the Lakers while dominating winning finals and league/finals MVP. ITs not even close to the same.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Not "a bit". Alot. That's true across all sports.

I know, but i was just trying to ease it up, before someone goes on some crazy rant. lol

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Shaq was i his prime and played quite a few years for the Lakers while dominating winning finals and league/finals MVP. ITs not even close to the same.

WTF is your definition of a "hired gun", and what difference does it make anyway? KG is dominating the boards and defensively in this series. He won't win MVP, but he's pretty clearly one of the most critical Celtics.

And Ray Allen is lighting you guys up and is a serious candidate for series MVP if the C's take it.

Brock
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
OMG, they brought in free agents, put an asterisk beside it.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
WTF is your definition of a "hired gun", and what difference does it make anyway? KG is dominating the boards and defensively in this series. He won't win MVP, but he's pretty clearly one of the most critical Celtics.

And Ray Allen is lighting you guys up and is a serious candidate for series MVP if the C's take it.

Shaq came to the Lakers when he was like 25 or so years old. He still was at the top of his game for for 5 or so years. I dont consider that hired gun. Garnett is what 31 and so is Ray Allen, maybe 32? Its all downsides atm. Sure people add guys year in and year out, but Boston went from the worst team in the NBA to the Best team in the NBA by getting 2 experienced and very very very good players. Now, if Garnett was 26-27 and Ray Allen was the same, then i wouldnt say hired gun. They would have had the possibiltiy to run the NBA for about 3-6 years with them at that age.

YOu know and i know they got about 1-2 years after this tops unless they draft some studs.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM

They dont have to put an asterisk beside it. They earned it. They have been dominating all year. They are the best team in the NBA. I dont know why people are looking at it like what i am saying is diminshing. Its not. I would love nothing more for the Chiefs to do that. I would be happier then all hell. I said Chiefs instead of Lakers, becuase well, i have liveed through about 5-6 Lakers finals victories. Hell, if the Chiefs did it, would be all for it.

Tribal Warfare
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

yeah, and he was still a hired gun

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah, and he was still a hired gun

Ok then, he was a hired gun even though my interpretation of it is a bit different. I will take 3 in a row. Doesnt bother me a bit. As long as you win, it doesnt matter.

Logical
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
This "hired gun" talk is absolutely, positively ridiculous. Both the Celtics and the Lakers have a LONG history of bringing in players on the back 9 of their careers to create or maintain a dynasty.

Question -- which of the 3 obvious greatest-ever Laker centers did the Lakers draft? (that would be Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaq, in case anyone doesn't know).

Answer: NONE

Karl Malone
Bill Walton
Bob McAdoo
Gary Payton
Kevin Garnett
Robert Parish

the list goes on and on and on and on. It's totally irrelevant, and Lakers fans look like idiots when they act like the Celtics championship (assuming they win one) is somehow minimized by their having "Hired" the guns to bring them in. Hint -- EVERY LAKER CHAMPIONSHIP SINCE THE GEORGE FREAKIN' MIKAN ERA HAS RELIED HEAVILY ON HIRED GUNS.

In fact, I would suggest that it's fair to say that far more Laker championship that Celtic championships have relied heavily on non-drafted talent. Nearly all of the Celtics championships of the 50s/60s were homegrown. At least the key players. Lakers 70s, 80s and 90s championships had a "hired gun" superstar center as one fo the absolute key players.

Just for clarity I did not say that, I simply pointed out the Lakers were too young and that the three players on the Celtics would not be on the all time greats list. I agree the Lakers and Celtics have a long history of trading for quality players.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Shaq came to the Lakers when he was like 25 or so years old. He still was at the top of his game for for 5 or so years. I dont consider that hired gun. Garnett is what 31 and so is Ray Allen, maybe 32? Its all downsides atm. Sure people add guys year in and year out, but Boston went from the worst team in the NBA to the Best team in the NBA by getting 2 experienced and very very very good players. Now, if Garnett was 26-27 and Ray Allen was the same, then i wouldnt say hired gun. They would have had the possibiltiy to run the NBA for about 3-6 years with them at that age.

YOu know and i know they got about 1-2 years after this tops unless they draft some studs.

:shrug: I really don't know why it matters at all. McAdoo was 30 when he joined the Lakers and was a key player for a couple of championships.

Wilt was 32 when he joined the Lakers, so I guess you need an asterisk for your Finals winning, all time winningest, longest winning streak '72 team? Wilt was after all the Finals MVP in '72.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Just for clarity I did not say that, I simply pointed out the Lakers were too young and that the three players on the Celtics would not be on the all time greats list. I agree the Lakers and Celtics have a long history of trading for quality players.

Not sure how long the "all time greats list" is. If it's 50 players, then KG might get on there. I agree that none of the 3 is ultra-elite -- in the class of a Bird, Magic, Russell, Jordan what have you.

Kobe is close to ultra-elite, but he's not there either.

Not sure the Lakers are too young. I looked them up, and Kobe is 29, turning 30 in 2 months, Pau Gasol turns 28 next month, and Lamar Odom is 28 already. What superstud is on your team that is too young? You lack cagey vets, of the Posey variety, that is true. Derek Fisher is 34 now. Radmanovic and Vujacic are in their 20s, but what is their ceiling? Not sure it's all that incredibly high.

Thsi team is all Kobe, who is 30, and a bunch of good-not-great players around him. Bynum is young, and I haven't seen him play, but obviously he's out this series. You'll have to wait 'til next year on him.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Nothing like that at all. YOu have 3 franchise players in their prime and for once in a series in the playoffs they look like it.

HolmeZz
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Sadly there weren't even free agents. They traded for both Garnett and Allen(and probably overpaid for Ray in the process).

Ari Chi3fs
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
I like the Boston Celtics... I hate Boston fans.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
:shrug: I really don't know why it matters at all. McAdoo was 30 when he joined the Lakers and was a key player for a couple of championships.

Wilt was 32 when he joined the Lakers, so I guess you need an asterisk for your Finals winning, all time winningest, longest winning streak '72 team? Wilt was after all the Finals MVP in '72.

It doesnt really matter. A win is a win. I just know the Lakers have a damned solid foundation and are a young team and i can look forward for them to play in June for at least the next 5 years. How about the Celtics?

little jacob
06-16-2008, 12:01 PM
i'm not sure why everyone thinks boston's team is just going to cease operations after this year.

i guess its just something laker fans tell themselves to ease the pain of the greatest team in history getting shown up thus far

Friendo
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
It doesnt really matter. A win is a win. I just know the Lakers have a damned solid foundation and are a young team and i can look forward for them to play in June for at least the next 5 years. How about the Celtics?

the real weakness of the Celts this year, is the fact they haven't played together all that much. You can see their offense doesn't have a lot of flow--I say with the role players Doc and Ainge have assembled (plus a few more offseason tinkerings) I could see them coming back next year and surprising the s**t out of the pre-ordained Lake-show-that is if the Lakers are lucky enough to make it out of the West. :)

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:06 PM

We really missed Bynum in this series.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Always like KG's play. Never heard him do an interview until this series. He may be a great player but he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer if you know what I mean.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
And suprisingly Phil Jackson is being outcoached. They might win this game but they do not look good.

We need you to take some ****ing happy pills Jim. Outcoached? Come on Phil is doing the best he can with this young team. The Lakers bench that has been awsome for him all season is now showing their youth and has not shown up for this series. You are going to blame that on Phil?

I'll say another thing, I can't believe the brutality of the LA media in this series. If you couldn't tell that the Celtics may cause a huge potential problems for the Lakers then you were just not paying attention. Amnorix said earlier in the playoffs that he was surprised by me worrying so much about that team. Now you see the reason why?

suds79
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Always like KG's play. Never heard him do an interview until this series. He may be a great player but he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer if you know what I mean.

You could say that about a lot of athletes though... Probably the same for the general public now that I think about it.

Who cares? I just watch the pro athletes to play anyways.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
You could say that about a lot of athletes though... Probably the same for the general public now that I think about it.

Who cares? I just watch the pro athletes to play anyways.

Care? It wasn't so much that I cared as it was just an observation. The lights are on but nobody is home.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Sharper than Perkins. That guy can barely put a sentence together. What's up with KG always yanking on his left ear, anyway?

Kobe is very well spoken, and Pierce has some very subtle thoughts -- he's obviously a bright guy, though not the most eloquent necessarily.

ChiefsFanatic
06-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Sharper than Perkins.

If I was Doc Rivers I would have made Perkins leave courtside until he could dress like an adult. That outfit with the long shirt hanging out of his pants looked like a joke last night.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
If you couldn't tell that the Celtics may cause a huge potential problems for the Lakers then you were just not paying attention. Amnorix said earlier in the playoffs that he was surprised by me worrying so much about that team. Now you see the reason why?

I agree you said you were worried, but if I remember right, my question was mroe like "aren't you even worried about the Celtics", because you and all the other Lakers fans on here were bragging about your team so much I was shocked that nobody seemed to give the C's much of a chance.

At which point you did say that anytime a team has 3 good players like the C's, you had to be worried.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Sharper than Perkins. That guy can barely put a sentence together. What's up with KG always yanking on his left ear, anyway?

Kobe is very well spoken, and Pierce has some very subtle thoughts -- he's obviously a bright guy, though not the most eloquent necessarily.

Kobe and Pierce are worth watching definatley. For some reason I still watch KG for my own morbid amusement.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree you said you were worried, but if I remember right, my question was mroe like "aren't you even worried about the Celtics", because you and all the other Lakers fans on here were bragging about your team so much I was shocked that nobody seemed to give the C's much of a chance.

At which point you did say that anytime a team has 3 good players like the C's, you had to be worried.

I was always very worried about the Celtics.

Amnorix
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
If I was Doc Rivers I would have made Perkins leave courtside until he could dress like an adult. That outfit with the long shirt hanging out of his pants looked like a joke last night.

Yep saw that. Looked completely ridiculous.

POND_OF_RED
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Lakers in 6.

cadmonkey
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't like the term "hired gun" when refering to someone that was actually traded over the offseason. I see a hired gun as someone that was traded for at the trade deadline (who only has a contract until the end of that season) specifically for that year's playoff push, and having no intention of resigning them the following year.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't like the term "hired gun" when refering to someone that was actually traded over the offseason. I see a hired gun as someone that was traded for at the trade deadline (who only has a contract until the end of that season) specifically for that year's playoff push, and having no intention of resigning them the following year.

Who really ****ing cares? They are what they are, a group of traveling all-stars.

Direckshun
06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I haven't weighed in anywhere just yet about Game 5, but I think this game sealed the deal that the Celtics are the superior team.

Even without their starting center (who should be 100% come Tuesday), and their bench playing essentially the entire first half, Celts almost won.

I think this is over on Tuesday.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't weighed in anywhere just yet about Game 5, but I think this game sealed the deal that the Celtics are the superior team.

Even without their starting center (who should be 100% come Tuesday), and their bench playing essentially the entire first half, Celts almost won.

I think this is over on Tuesday.

Yes that would tend to be the general concensus but the Lakers are still the Lakers and even when it makes no sense they can still pull miracles out of their ass. No it doesn't look good but if anyone can do it it would be the Lakers.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Who really ****ing cares? They are what they are, a group of traveling all-stars.

yep, i dont know why people get offended with that. The team is built for right now and next year not built for the future. Thats all i mean.

RedNeckRaider
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes that would tend to be the general concensus but the Lakers are still the Lakers and even when it makes no sense they can still pull miracles out of their ass. No it doesn't look good but if anyone can do it it would be the Lakers.

If they pull this off that will shut up the Bryant talk for sure as that will be the greatest comeback ever

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
If they pull this off that will shut up the Bryant talk for sure as that will be the greatest comeback ever

He is a player people love to hate. His problem was he made some major mistakes when he was younger. The other thread is a prime example.

His cocky coy little interviews drive me insane. It's really only started this season. I have no beef with the lakers or any loyalty to any N.B.A team. Am I just a dick or has anyone else observed this?

You have to literally be on another planet or your hate for the man has to be boundless to see his interviews as being like that. What we have in Kobe's interviews is nothing more than a marture confident man who is sold on the way they are approaching the game right now is brutally honest with his answers even if they don't always reflect kindly on himself.

Kobe haters will always find a way to hate the guy and find a weakness to expose.

RedNeckRaider
06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
He is a player people love to hate. His problem was he made some major mistakes when he was younger. The other thread is a prime example.

Hate him or love him a comeback in this series would be history and nobody could argue that.

KCUnited
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Hate him or love him a comeback in this series would be history and nobody could argue that.

That's the plan.

-Whitlock

Brock
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Yeah, anybody who points out anything that Kobe does less than perfectly is just a hater. You freaking whiner.

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, anybody who points out anything that Kobe does less than perfectly is just a hater. You freaking whiner.

This is a great post that points out just how stupid you really are. I was capping on Kobe in that post. I believe I used the term he made major mistakes. This is a typical cock answer though. A serious lack of reading comprehension followed by a post that makes absolutely no sense and some bitterness. LMAO