PDA

View Full Version : Football Darren Sharper cant be serious...

KCrockaholic
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM
i just picked up one of the lastest fantasy football magazines today, and in it is an article about Vikings HB Adrian Peterson. Darren Sharper is in the article discussing how amazing Peterson is, then Sharper says in a serious tone than some day Peterson will rush for 500 yards in a single game.

now at first i thought that there was no way in hell that AD could rush for that many yards in one game. Then i remembered his 296 rushing yards in week 9 last season that broke Jamal Lewis' record of 295....Peterson was just a rookie last year, and he was unstoppable. i figured he was only 3/5 of the way to 500 yards last year.

now i bet Peterson never touches 500 in his career, but i am really thinking that he could get close one day. maybe 430? i know it sounds absurd now, and your laughing at that statement. but this guy is the real deal. he is the perfect prototype HB. he has size, speed, power, agility, and even some pretty good hands.

well any thoughts about this other than hearing that i am crazy to think he could ever rush for this many yards?

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:54 PM
You are crazy to think he could ever rush for that many yards.

Silock
06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, that's insanity. A smart coach would yank him after 350. His long-term value is far too high to risk injury after that much running.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
That's f*cking stupid. 296 is amazing. 350 would be f*cking crazy. Even when teams totally go off the wall and score 45 points in a game, it's pretty uncommon to compile more than 400 yards, and that's rushing and passing combined.

500 yards rushing will never happen. Ever.

Count Zarth
06-15-2008, 10:56 PM
There aren't enough possessions in a game.

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Assuming that his team was in a position to keep running throughout the entire game, which further assumes that his team would be enjoying an unsurmountable lead, why in the hell would they even consider keeping him in to do the late running?

KCrockaholic
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Assuming that his team was in a position to keep running throughout the entire game, which further assumes that his team would be enjoying an unsurmountable lead, why in the hell would they even consider keeping him in to do the late running?

very true. but if the game just went back and forth, and without a good QB (Tarvaris Jackson) i dont think i would stop running the ball. what if it was just a freak day where everytime he touched the ball he racked up atleast 20 yards, against a weak run defense of course.

Farzin
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
He would have to get a TD on every carry in order for that to happen....

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
He would have to get a TD on every carry in order for that to happen....

So what's your point?

Kidding. This question is pointless, that number is unreachable.

Pablo
very true. but if the game just went back and forth, and without a good QB (Tarvaris Jackson) i dont think i would stop running the ball. what if it was just a freak day where everytime he touched the ball he racked up atleast 20 yards, against a weak run defense of course.20 yards..he'd still have to get 25 carries. And considering he'd score a TD every 4 carries given a 20 yard line start, he'd hit 6 TD's before he got to 25 carries. No chance. Ever.

Ugly Duck

2 Viking possessions per quarter & AP busts a 65 or 70 yd run every time. That would do it. Never happen... but that would do it...

Pablo
06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
2 Viking possessions per quarter & AP busts a 65 or 70 yd run every time. That would do it. Never happen... but that would do it...It could happen if they were playing the Faiders and JaBustus was going 3 and out as usual.

KCrockaholic
06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
so since weve all decided that Peterson will not ever reach 500, how many yards do you think will be his max in the NFL? over 300? possibly 350?

dont forget in that game were Peterson had 296...he had OVER 200 yards in the first half...

Pablo
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
so since weve all decided that Peterson will not ever reach 500, how many yards do you think will be his max in the NFL? over 300? possibly 350?I doubt he'll ever get to 296 again. He's a great back, and he'll have quite a few more 200+ yard games, but I don't even know if he'll break 250 again.

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
With 296 as a rook, even though it was a crazy game for him you can't discount the possibility of him doing it again. I say 300 will happen sometime in his career. 350 is a lot more, I don't know if that'll happen. My money is on 325, max.

Count Zarth
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
One of these days I'd love to see Larry break that record. It would make me so happy. He's had a couple of 200 yard games in the past.

Silock
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
so since weve all decided that Peterson will not ever reach 500, how many yards do you think will be his max in the NFL? over 300? possibly 350?

dont forget in that game were Peterson had 296...he had OVER 200 yards in the first half...

Well, that's the problem. Once you get to those numbers, even if you have the ability to go for more, the question is whether financial takes over. What's the point in risking him getting injured if he's done that much to that point?

Count Zarth
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, that's the problem. Once you get to those numbers, even if you have the ability to go for more, the question is whether financial takes over. What's the point in risking him getting injured if he's done that much to that point?

The other team would have to be putting up points, too.

Which makes me think there wouldn't be enough possessions. Just because of the scenario which would be required to keep giving AP the ball.

KCrockaholic
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
but if the other team is continuing to score, that means the Vikes would have more possessions...well atleast its interesting to ponder about, all the "what if's?" i hope one day this thread is brought back and talked about after a monster game by Peterson...

Silock
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
The other team would have to be putting up points, too.

Which makes me think there wouldn't be enough possessions. Just because of the scenario which would be required to keep giving AP the ball.

The first 7 OT game? I dunno.

little jacob
06-15-2008, 11:30 PM
it might be unpopular to say, but i'm still wondering if he won't have trouble with injuries at some point in his career. not to take anything away from him, he's a fantastic runner.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
it might be unpopular to say, but i'm still wondering if he won't have trouble with injuries at some point in his career. not to take anything away from him, he's a fantastic runner.Eh, it's a valid point. Injuries in college, injuries in his first season.

It's starting to vaguely remind me of a player on the Chiefs roster...

SPATCH
06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
upright runners like AD, eddie george, and (sigh) larry johnson tend to break down early in their careers...

i wouldn't be surprised if he never even sniffed 296 for the rest of his career

oh, and 500 is completely absurd

ferrarispider95
06-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Alright how about 500 all purpose yards???? It could be done if he returned some kicks.

I wonder how many yards Hester has racked up in a game. He has had some multiple return games, almost had 2 on us, plus he lines up as a receiver every once in a while.

KCrockaholic
06-16-2008, 01:15 AM
yeah im sure that could happen, especially if Peterson returned kicks a couple times. i think thats feasable

Valiant
06-16-2008, 01:35 AM
i just picked up one of the lastest fantasy football magazines today, and in it is an article about Vikings HB Adrian Peterson. Darren Sharper is in the article discussing how amazing Peterson is, then Sharper says in a serious tone than some day Peterson will rush for 500 yards in a single game.

now at first i thought that there was no way in hell that AD could rush for that many yards in one game. Then i remembered his 296 rushing yards in week 9 last season that broke Jamal Lewis' record of 295....Peterson was just a rookie last year, and he was unstoppable. i figured he was only 3/5 of the way to 500 yards last year.

now i bet Peterson never touches 500 in his career, but i am really thinking that he could get close one day. maybe 430? i know it sounds absurd now, and your laughing at that statement. but this guy is the real deal. he is the perfect prototype HB. he has size, speed, power, agility, and even some pretty good hands.

well any thoughts about this other than hearing that i am crazy to think he could ever rush for this many yards?

Maybe in Madden..

He already has already been injured so him making it a full season is doubtful and unless he is facing a team full of Brett Farves he will never see even 300+ that is how unlikely it is of him even getting close to his record..

Say we say he will rush for 400 yards..

9 yard average would be 45 carries in a game..
10 yard average would be 40 carries in a game..
12 yard average would be 33-34 carries in a game..

Then add the fact that you need perfect conditions in the game so he did not get pulled.. It would have to be a close game throughout.. or He would have to explode for 300+ in the second half(like 3 80+ yard runs) plus other carries..

Sharper is a moron..

Valiant
06-16-2008, 01:37 AM

You could do it hypothetically.. And the Vikings could not pass the ball once, ever during the game.. AKA old school football before the pass was invented.. And AP would also probably have to play against those guys from the twenties or whatever to do it..

POND_OF_RED
06-16-2008, 02:12 AM
it might be unpopular to say, but i'm still wondering if he won't have trouble with injuries at some point in his career. not to take anything away from him, he's a fantastic runner.

History agrees with you. I remember his first year at Oklahoma when he rushed for almost 2,000 yards and was runner up for the Heisman as a freshman. The next year he hurt his ankle and wasn't heard from much. The next year he broke his collar bone. I mean I hope he succeeds but luck hasn't been on his side much for his career.

kepp
06-16-2008, 06:48 AM
He IS serious...and don't call him Shirley.

ohiobronco2
06-16-2008, 06:53 AM
500. Sorry not going to happen. Peterson is amazing and he plays behind an all pro line, but I don't see a coach allowing a player to have that many carries. If you have that many yards, there is a good chance you will be running up the score. Other teams might be looking to send a thug in and take Peterson out.

HypnotizedMonkey
06-16-2008, 07:23 AM
he COULD do that in a few years, but it won't matter because LJ is gonna do it 2 times this season. :P

58-4ever
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Not only will he rush for 500 in a game, he will probably throw for 350 and have sex with every Viking cheerleader after the game, spawn super-AD babies with each of them that will all grow up to break every football player ever.

El Jefe
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
So what's your point?

Kidding. This question is pointless, that number is unreachable.

I agree.

blueballs
06-16-2008, 08:56 AM
you must stop Jackson at all costs

Uncle_Ted
06-16-2008, 09:29 AM
upright runners like AD, eddie george, and (sigh) larry johnson tend to break down early in their careers...

i wouldn't be surprised if he never even sniffed 296 for the rest of his career

oh, and 500 is completely absurd

Not sure I'd put Eddie George on that that list ... yes he was an upright runner (6' 3") but he started 16 games every year the first 8 years of his 9-year career.

Interesting aside -- looking at his career stats his longest run his rookie year was 76 yds. After that, his longest run for the rest of his career was 40 yards.

KCrockaholic
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
well as far as up-right runners are concered. i think Eric Dickerson was probably the best up-right runner in nfl history...if you look at the history of up-right runners, usually they racked up HUGE yards, but they fumbled alot, and their careers didnt last long.

KCrockaholic
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Interesting aside -- looking at his career stats his longest run his rookie year was 76 yds. After that, his longest run for the rest of his career was 40 yards.

lol sounds like Priest, he could barely get a 30 yard run each season. hell wasnt his longest run as a chief the one against the boncos where he was horse collar tackled and injured for the season?

Molitoth
06-16-2008, 11:32 AM
AP is not a secret anymore. Teams will gameplan for the Vikings running attack, and you will see a slight decrease in his success. (Look what happened to LJ)

CoMoChief
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
IF he's rushing for that many yds in a game. I would assume that MIN is winning by a large margin considering thats at least 3 TD's and the fact they've prob controlled the clock all game.

MIN would be smarter just to take him out to reduce inj, he is kinda fragile or related to the inj bug from what I've heard and seen.

CoMoChief
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
AP is not a secret anymore. Teams will gameplan for the Vikings running attack, and you will see a slight decrease in his success. (Look what happened to LJ)

MIN still has a Probowl Oline, The Chiefs lost theirs in 2006.