PDA

View Full Version : Electronics FM Transmitters

DaFace
06-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Anybody have one they recommend? All of them that I've messed with have sounded like crap.

And I'm looking for one that's generic with a headphone jack - not something iPod specific.

06-19-2008, 09:53 PM
The only one I have ever owned that was worth a shit was one made specifically for the PSP by Griffin.

That being said, I would suggest you only consider products made by Griffin.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/

DaFace
06-20-2008, 07:06 AM
The only one I have ever owned that was worth a shit was one made specifically for the PSP by Griffin.

That being said, I would suggest you only consider products made by Griffin.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/

Thanks for the tip. Even that company gets lackluster reviews for audio quality on Amazon from what I can tell. I'm wondering if there's just not an easy way to make it sound like true FM quality.

I may look into adding in A/V ports instead. It's more expensive, but I'm sure I'd be happier with the quality.

SLAG
06-20-2008, 11:20 AM
My sirius radio has built in FM transmitter the cheap sirius one works okay but the more expensive sirius radio works really well as an FM transmiter,

There are good ones out there but I think they will cost a good bit of coin

Miles
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM
If you still have a tape deck in your car, a cassette adapter works fairly well even though they look bad.

06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. Even that company gets lackluster reviews for audio quality on Amazon from what I can tell. I'm wondering if there's just not an easy way to make it sound like true FM quality.

I may look into adding in A/V ports instead. It's more expensive, but I'm sure I'd be happier with the quality.

Well, I was very impressed with the transmitter for the PSP. Just figured they would all be good.

As far as my Sansa, I just use a cassette adapter. Works fine for me.

pikesome
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM
If you still have a tape deck in your car, a cassette adapter works fairly well even though they look bad.

.02 tape adapter > any FM transmitter for sound quality

06-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't know why more cars are not automatically equipped with a jack for plugging in MP3 players. How expensive is this option really?

And I don't mean iPod support. I mean MP3 player support.

DaFace
06-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't know why more cars are not automatically equipped with a jack for plugging in MP3 players. How expensive is this option really?

And I don't mean iPod support. I mean MP3 player support.

Yeah, I'm surprised as well. In my car (as opposed to my wife's car that we're looking for a transmitter for), I've got an aftermarket CD player that has jacks to plug in an external player. There's a 3rd party add-on for her car (06 Ford Focus) for about $100 that I'm considering. We'll see.

Frosty
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
There's a 3rd party add-on for her car (06 Ford Focus) for about $100 that I'm considering. We'll see.

I did that with my '05 Silverado. It just plugged into the back of the HU. It adds an "AUX" input, selectable with the "Band" button.

My other two cars, I dumped the stock HUs and added aftermarket radios with Aux inputs. My favorite is the Clarion with the USB input on the front. I don't even need an MP3 player. I just dump the MP3s on a thumbdrive and plug it into the HU.

Archie F. Swin
08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm now in the market for n Ipod transmitter for my wife's Sonata. No input jack. I figured an FM transmitter would be the least expensive fix.

08-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm now in the market for n Ipod transmitter for my wife's Sonata. No input jack. I figured an FM transmitter would be the least expensive fix.I still recommend Griffin Technology products.

KevB
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm now in the market for n Ipod transmitter for my wife's Sonata. No input jack. I figured an FM transmitter would be the least expensive fix.

I'm in the same boat ('08 Sonata owner here). I may just add an after market HU that has an aux input on the front. That may be easier/cheaper than any other option, and I add a better HU.

Archie F. Swin
08-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm in the same boat ('08 Sonata owner here). I may just add an after market HU that has an aux input on the front. That may be easier/cheaper than any other option, and I add a better HU.

Dang, I would have thought by '08 the Sonata would have an AUX input

SLAG
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
the iTrip has worked really well for me

KevB
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Dang, I would have thought by '08 the Sonata would have an AUX input

The '09s have the aux input. I really like the car, but that's one complaint I have. I drive 30 minutes to and from work every day, and I'd love to be able to listen to podcasts/my own music. For those with the FM Transmitters that aren't great, would they at least do the trick for listening to podcasts?

Valiant
08-04-2009, 06:51 PM
You can generally just buy a radio with the jack already in it for fairly cheap.. 50-70dollar range.. You could probably find cheaper with a clearance model..