PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anybody know how to fix cell phones?

BWillie
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
So I jumped into the pool yesterday with my cell phone. Didn't notice it until about 10 minutes in. Took it out and it was just vibrating like crazy non-stop. Took the battery off, and let it dry for a while. First blow dryed it for a while and tried to turn it on and it died. I let it dry the entire day today in the sun and it actually turned on. I could read all my text messages and go to all functions on the phone. Only problem is it would just search for service indefinitely and wouldn't find it. The screen would stay on "dull" mode all the time as well, unless I pushed a key.

Anybody good at fixing phones? Only thing that really looks wrong with it is it's not getting receptions. Is that a quick fix? It's a Sprint Samsung A900 "blade" phone.

Dunit35
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
If that happened you should probably get a new one.

A buddy of mine use to jump in the pool with his all the time and it would do exactly what yours is doing. He always had to get a new one.

Simply Red
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
So I jumped into the pool yesterday with my cell phone. Didn't notice it until about 10 minutes in. Took it out and it was just vibrating like crazy non-stop. Took the battery off, and let it dry for a while. First blow dryed it for a while and tried to turn it on and it died. I let it dry the entire day today in the sun and it actually turned on. I could read all my text messages and go to all functions on the phone. Only problem is it would just search for service indefinitely and wouldn't find it. The screen would stay on "dull" mode all the time as well, unless I pushed a key.

Anybody good at fixing phones? Only thing that really looks wrong with it is it's not getting receptions. Is that a quick fix? It's a Sprint Samsung A900 "blade" phone.

My step-father took it completely apart and let it dry and put it back together and it worked..

Simply Red
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't know how wet it got though.

Valiant
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Easier to buy a new one.. Or you could try taking the phone apart, but if it is a really small phone you will probably destroy it in the process..

Pablo
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Just take it completely apart(to the best of your abilities). Set it out on a towel with a fan blowing on it for a day. If that doesn't fix it, you'd just better get a new phone.

stlchiefs
07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I've done the same thing and simply took the battery off and laid it button side down for about a week. It dried out on its own and worked fine after that. Unfortunately I'd gotten tired of waiting and already purchased a new phone by then.

jjchieffan
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I always carry insurance on my phone. It costs $5 a month. I can't be without it. I go through a lot of phones. I lost my phone about a week ago. I am doing a claim tommorrow when I get back home. I had my last one fall out of my coat pocket in November and it got ran over. A couple have gotten wet. A couple have gotten broken. You are allowed 2 claims a year and then they cancel you until the year is up. This next claim will make the 3rd time I have been cancelled. If insurance is not an option, then try Best Buy. They claim to fix cell phones. You can also get a pretty good deal on a new one on EBay. There are several EBay stores that do nothing but cell phones.

CrazyPhuD
07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry but you're not going to fix it. Water + Electronics = $$$$. If you had only been in their a short time then maybe you could dry it out and maybe you'd get lucky. But 10 minutes...not a chance....you've shorted the circuit board and it's not coming back without a board replacement. At that point just buy a new one it'll be cheaper.

TJR1486
07-01-2008, 04:40 PM
id take your battery out and put your phone in the refrigerator for a day. Sounds weird but it actually works, did it on a phone i jumped in a lake with out realizing it was in my pocket

ChiefsFire
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Throw it in a tupperware dish of dry rice...will suck the moisture out.

Demonpenz
07-02-2008, 06:16 PM
You could just take the sim card out and look for a replacement on the web also most places have those "go" phones that are like 39 bucks that you just put in the sim card and go. Yeah they look dumb but whatever all you need to read is "im R naked bigwillie" or
KEG my Crib and Rum n coke 4 you willie

ragedogg69
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/yt-iL9qwpSALZw/what_do_you_do_if_you_dropped_your_phone_in_water.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-iL9qwpSALZw/what_do_you_do_if_you_dropped_your_phone_in_water/">What do you do if you dropped your phone in water?</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">The funniest bloopers are right here</a></font>

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-iL9qwpSALZw/what_do_you_do_if_you_dropped_your_phone_in_water/

BWillie
07-03-2008, 02:18 AM
You could just take the sim card out and look for a replacement on the web also most places have those "go" phones that are like 39 bucks that you just put in the sim card and go. Yeah they look dumb but whatever all you need to read is "im R naked bigwillie" or
KEG my Crib and Rum n coke 4 you willie

Pretty sure my phone doesn't have a Sim Card though. Good advice nonetheless.

I wish I would of done this stuff right after I got it wet. The thing is done. It's just frustrating because it really does work. Turns on and EVERYTHING works except the reception and backlight. Gay. Time to go phone hunting